BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2012-06-02 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4241129

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!
Sarah73 - 2012-06-02 6:36 PM
fitmomma2010 - 2012-06-02 10:33 AM
Sarah73 - 2012-05-30 4:04 PM

This is my next triathlon...who's with me?? But you have to be willing to go sans wetsuit (and bathing suit) donning only a green swim capWink

Actually...my real next tri is this weekend, and I need some encouragement. It's an OWS and I'm pretty sure not wetsuit legal, since it's 99 degrees outside and the lake temp is currently about 80 degrees. I'm pretty worried how I'm going to float on my back when I start panicking!! At least I'm going to start in the novice group, so I'll be in the last group out to start the swim!

Good luck Sarah. I can't wait to read your race report and hear how it all went. I'm predicting better than the last two and a podium finish ;-).

And suuurre I'll do the Norseman with you- right after I win Ironman Hawaii- LMAO.

I am pretty adventurous- I wish I had it in me to do Norseman- but um no- I think I'm going to have to sit this one out- hehe.

I mean I'd hate to throw all the other competitors off with this gorgeous naked body- lol.

Shelly

My race report is up....and I had no panic on the swim!!! In fact, I felt so good on the swim I wanted it to go on longer. Of course, I was going extremely slow!! I got kicked in the face, swam over, and elbowed so many times, but I had no problem just swimming through them all. I just kept my rhythm of breathing to my left every other stroke, then every 3rd to 5th stroke I would do 1 side stroke and sight. It was such a relief. I did end up placing second in the female novice category, but the bike and the swim were pretty tough today - HILLS!!!

Sarah-  this is awesome! we are proud of you for overcoming your swim panic.   At this point  I'm thinking you are done with the panic issue.    You are a veteran now.   You have been kicked, punched, pulled backwards done a tri w/o a wetsuit.   Plus now you have experienced a great swim.   Speed not an issue,  now you'll go faster as that will be your concern versus "getting through" the swim.     

Now you just need to find some nice cucumber gatorade to celebrate with.  

2012-06-02 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4241088

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!
Nope.  I've never seen anyone lock their bike in transition.
2012-06-02 8:16 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Sarah73 - 2012-06-02 6:36 PM

This is my next triathlon...who's with me?? But you have to be willing to go sans wetsuit (and bathing suit) donning only a green swim capWink

Actually...my real next tri is this weekend, and I need some encouragement. It's an OWS and I'm pretty sure not wetsuit legal, since it's 99 degrees outside and the lake temp is currently about 80 degrees. I'm pretty worried how I'm going to float on my back when I start panicking!! At least I'm going to start in the novice group, so I'll be in the last group out to start the swim!

Good luck Sarah. I can't wait to read your race report and hear how it all went. I'm predicting better than the last two and a podium finish ;-).

And suuurre I'll do the Norseman with you- right after I win Ironman Hawaii- LMAO.

I am pretty adventurous- I wish I had it in me to do Norseman- but um no- I think I'm going to have to sit this one out- hehe.

I mean I'd hate to throw all the other competitors off with this gorgeous naked body- lol.

Shelly

My race report is up....and I had no panic on the swim!!! In fact, I felt so good on the swim I wanted it to go on longer. Of course, I was going extremely slow!! I got kicked in the face, swam over, and elbowed so many times, but I had no problem just swimming through them all. I just kept my rhythm of breathing to my left every other stroke, then every 3rd to 5th stroke I would do 1 side stroke and sight. It was such a relief. I did end up placing second in the female novice category, but the bike and the swim were pretty tough today - HILLS!!!

Awesome, simply awesome!

2012-06-02 10:14 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond

Shelly

That is awesome!!!! I knew you'd do it. Great job. I think you're ready for Norseman.

Shelly

2012-06-03 8:16 AM
in reply to: #4128570

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Thank you all for pushing me through that race. You may not know it, but thinking about all of your support really helped me conquer the swim. I thought about all of you during the swim!! It was a huge mental hurdle for me, and I have really never felt so nervous before any race. My husband kept having to calm me down before we even got into the water. He raced in the novice group with me...but just went faster!

On a side note...have y'all ever seen the national junior USAT team at an event? They were at the race yesterday, and those kids are FAST!!! I was surprised they were starting in the first wave (because they were so small), but man were they speedy!! I can't believe they can generate the power to move those bikes so fast. And the swim...forget it, they were out of the water before the fourth wave went in!! They were between 11 and 17 years old. I just can't imagine having the dicipline at that age!!!

2012-06-03 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

WOW! Sarah that is fantastic that you were able to do the swim without feeling panicky...wooohoooo to youCool

We knew you could do it...its so awesome when we can accomplish something that has caused us fear, is in it?

Congrats again!

Alicia

2012-06-03 6:44 PM

User image

five and a half hours and 90 miles in the saddle today; woo hoo, my longest ride yet.  And of course you have a lot to think about during that time, so I came up with another question(s):  Do you apply the body glide before the swim or after?  I accidentally rode without it once and it didn't feel the greatest afterwards.  I'm just wondering if it would "wash off" during the swim.  Second, I think it was mentioned that some people go sockless.  Tried that once too, but got some hot spots, so went back to socks.  I assume the sockless reason is to save time in T1 trying to get socks on wet feet?  Third, I have a sprint race this Sunday which includes a 17 mile bike.  My training program which coincides with my HIM in July calls for long ride on Saturday.  I assume I should shorten this though?  I guess I'll see how I feel tomorrow after todays mileage.  Thanks, Todd
2012-06-03 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4242078

User image

Master
St. Louis

trei - 2012-06-03 6:44 PM five and a half hours and 90 miles in the saddle today; woo hoo, my longest ride yet.  And of course you have a lot to think about during that time, so I came up with another question(s):  Do you apply the body glide before the swim or after?  I accidentally rode without it once and it didn't feel the greatest afterwards.  I'm just wondering if it would "wash off" during the swim.  Second, I think it was mentioned that some people go sockless.  Tried that once too, but got some hot spots, so went back to socks.  I assume the sockless reason is to save time in T1 trying to get socks on wet feet?  Third, I have a sprint race this Sunday which includes a 17 mile bike.  My training program which coincides with my HIM in July calls for long ride on Saturday.  I assume I should shorten this though?  I guess I'll see how I feel tomorrow after todays mileage.  Thanks, Todd

Body glide goes on before the race. Put lots on.

I wear socks too. To prepare them for going on wet feet, put them on your feet then roll them off so they are like a condom. They will roll right on to wet feet.

As for the ride, it just depends on what is more important.  If you want to do well, I would skip the ride Saturday. If you want to do well at your HIM, I would consider doing your long ride Monday. It's all a balancing game.

2012-06-03 10:24 PM
in reply to: #4242078

User image

Expert
Hammond

trei - 2012-06-03 6:44 PM five and a half hours and 90 miles in the saddle today; woo hoo, my longest ride yet.  And of course you have a lot to think about during that time, so I came up with another question(s):  Do you apply the body glide before the swim or after?  I accidentally rode without it once and it didn't feel the greatest afterwards.  I'm just wondering if it would "wash off" during the swim.  Second, I think it was mentioned that some people go sockless.  Tried that once too, but got some hot spots, so went back to socks.  I assume the sockless reason is to save time in T1 trying to get socks on wet feet?  Third, I have a sprint race this Sunday which includes a 17 mile bike.  My training program which coincides with my HIM in July calls for long ride on Saturday.  I assume I should shorten this though?  I guess I'll see how I feel tomorrow after todays mileage.  Thanks, Todd

Todd,

Mike is definitely a better one to answer this than I am. I will say I was amazed at how much easier it is to put socks on when they are rolled off like he described. I don't go sockless either, for me the couple seconds in transition is worth it to have comfy feet.

Good luck Sunday. My dh and I are racing Sunday in a Sprint in Atlanta Georgia. I'm starting to get nervous. What a time to start worrying huh- lol.

Shelly

2012-06-04 5:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Sarah73 - 2012-06-02 7:36 PM

Shelly

So good to hear that!!  GREAT JOB!!

2012-06-04 5:13 AM
in reply to: #4241552

User image

Veteran
Sarah73 - 2012-06-03 9:16 AM

Thank you all for pushing me through that race. You may not know it, but thinking about all of your support really helped me conquer the swim. I thought about all of you during the swim!! It was a huge mental hurdle for me, and I have really never felt so nervous before any race. My husband kept having to calm me down before we even got into the water. He raced in the novice group with me...but just went faster!

On a side note...have y'all ever seen the national junior USAT team at an event? They were at the race yesterday, and those kids are FAST!!! I was surprised they were starting in the first wave (because they were so small), but man were they speedy!! I can't believe they can generate the power to move those bikes so fast. And the swim...forget it, they were out of the water before the fourth wave went in!! They were between 11 and 17 years old. I just can't imagine having the dicipline at that age!!!

Well, YOU are inspiring ME, Sarah!  My next Tri is scheduled for Saturday and I'm still conetmplating whether I'm even going to do it.  I keep looking for excuses to get out of it...rationilizing my way around it.  But my real issue is that at this point I can't even visualize swimming without the panic.  ARRRGGHHHH...

Jacki

2012-06-04 1:36 PM

Master
SouthSide of Chicago

T-6 days till the first tri of the year for me......I think I can, I think I can, I think I can said the little engine. 

Hope you are all doing well and that the week is off to a great start.

2012-06-04 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

Sarah, awesome job! Fear? What fear? 

Matt, we think you can too. Go get em!

2012-06-05 6:22 AM
in reply to: #4243649

User image

Veteran
mjh1975 - 2012-06-04 2:36 PM

T-6 days till the first tri of the year for me......I think I can, I think I can, I think I can said the little engine. 

Of course you can, of course you can!

Good Luck, and May the Legs be With You!

2012-06-05 6:30 AM

User image

Veteran

Sarah - Great job in the swim.

Sorry I've be AWOL for a while.  I developed a poison ivy rash on the back of my legs last week.  Itches like crazy, thinking of it itching causes it to itch.  Plus new job is keeping me very busy.

Even us water mammals scratch!

I also finally am jogging more than walking during my training runs.  Woo Hoo

Lastly, since my last swim was so bad, I decided to switch this weekends race to a duathlon and skip the lake swim.

May the Legs be with Us!

Tom

2012-06-06 6:32 PM

User image

Veteran

Alright gang...time to psych myself up!  KICK It Tri in Plainfield, IN on Saturday morning!  600 yard swim...10 mile bike...3.1 mile run.  The swim is in the lazy river of our town pool...2 laps around the entire river.  OK...so thoughts I am going to try to keep in my head...

• Everyone feels a little panicky in the swim...just don't let it stop you...breathe...stroke...do what you do.
  • Sarah did it...you can do it!   Alicia did it...you can do it!  Shelly did it...you can do it!  Tom did it...you can do it!  You guys really do inspire me!!  I hope I can get you in my head Saturday morning.
  • I am DECIDING that I am breaking through the panic on Saturday.  Saturday is the day and this is the race that I DEFEAT the panic!
  • And to the evil twin that takes over my body and mind during the swim of a Tri...shut up B#$CH...I've got a swim to finish!

Thanks for indulging me.  It helps me to verbalize these things and commit to them to all of you! 

Jacki

2012-06-06 10:25 PM
in reply to: #4248649

User image

Expert
Hammond
DaDooRunRun - 2012-06-06 6:32 PM

Alright gang...time to psych myself up!  KICK It Tri in Plainfield, IN on Saturday morning!  600 yard swim...10 mile bike...3.1 mile run.  The swim is in the lazy river of our town pool...2 laps around the entire river.  OK...so thoughts I am going to try to keep in my head...

• Everyone feels a little panicky in the swim...just don't let it stop you...breathe...stroke...do what you do.
  • Sarah did it...you can do it!   Alicia did it...you can do it!  Shelly did it...you can do it!  Tom did it...you can do it!  You guys really do inspire me!!  I hope I can get you in my head Saturday morning.
  • I am DECIDING that I am breaking through the panic on Saturday.  Saturday is the day and this is the race that I DEFEAT the panic!
  • And to the evil twin that takes over my body and mind during the swim of a Tri...shut up B#$CH...I've got a swim to finish!

Thanks for indulging me.  It helps me to verbalize these things and commit to them to all of you! 

Jacki

Good Luck Jacki. I know you can do it. That evil b#%ch twin is going down Saturday. Mine is going down Sunday! We are going to do awesome!Shelly
2012-06-06 10:44 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Hi guys,Hope everyone is having a good week. I am starting to get nervous as my first race of the year is Sunday. It is a sprint in Atlanta and dh is doing it also. Hoping we both do well with the swim. We'll see. Then there's this thing called a hill - and um yeah there arent very many of those at home- sooo who the heck knows if I'll make it up the one in the race. It's kind a scary when them race instructions say that bikes may be walked up the steep hill- yikes! So if you read that woman fell off side of "steep hill" in triathlon Sunday- you can be pretty sure it'll be me.

On an exciting note - I got my first wetsuit yaaaayy!!!!!It is an aqua sphere pro level wetsuit that was in the final liquidation page of all3sports. Normally is ~400.00 and I got it for 125.00. It was a fun time trying to put it on in the store- should've videoed it for you guys. Don't know who was sweating more - the cute young guy helping me put it on - or me. It was fairly tight, I thought I had been painted into it and then the guy says well really you are small boned so it could be slightly tighter up top. No freaking way we could go tighter- he had to pull while I jumped to get the thing on. We ended up getting store manager and all decided it was the perfect fit we just had to pull it tighter around the neck. And I bought a new pair of goggles that I am totally in love with. It was a great shopping day- lol.

Good Luck to everyone racing this weekend!

May the legs be with us,

Shelly

Edited by fitmomma2010 2012-06-06 10:57 PM
2012-06-06 10:58 PM
in reply to: #4243649

User image

Expert
Hammond
mjh1975 - 2012-06-04 1:36 PM

Sure you can, Sure you can!!
Shelly
2012-06-06 11:01 PM
in reply to: #4245043

User image

Expert
Hammond
TLakatos1259 - 2012-06-05 6:30 AM

Sarah - Great job in the swim.

Sorry I've be AWOL for a while.  I developed a poison ivy rash on the back of my legs last week.  Itches like crazy, thinking of it itching causes it to itch.  Plus new job is keeping me very busy.

Even us water mammals scratch!

I also finally am jogging more than walking during my training runs.  Woo Hoo

Lastly, since my last swim was so bad, I decided to switch this weekends race to a duathlon and skip the lake swim.

May the Legs be with Us!

Tom

Good Luck this weekend Tom. I'm sure you'll do awesome. Great job with the running.
Shelly
2012-06-07 10:30 AM

User image

Veteran

Good luck Shelly and Jacki, you ladies are awesome! 

Jacki,  drown the be-atch!

Shelly, my hero, keep that heart pumpin'

2012-06-08 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Wow!This is going to be a fantastic weekend for Shelly and Jackie...I just know it :-)Ladies! Yes you can! I know it...u guys know it....we all know u can swim :-)Swim slow....enjoy the water...floating....ahhhhh yeah, relax....bike fast....and run like hell!Hugs to both of you! Can't wait to hear your reports!Alicia
2012-06-08 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran

Ready ready ready ready ready ready!!!!   Did a nice brick this morning...750 meters in the pool...3+ mile run.  Felt good.  Very focused while I was swimming, visualizing tomorrow and practicing what I'm going to keep in my head and thinking about what I will do when I feel the panic rising.  I'm looking forward to tackling this monster!  Thanks for the encouragement everyone!  Will post a race report sometime by day's end.  Although, this is such a teeny tiny event, I'm not sure what the timing situation will be like.  Don't care really...just want to have a good experience!

Jacki

2012-06-08 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Missoula
2012-06-09 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4252328

User image

Its more important that I finish the HIM next month.  I did decrease my long bike today, but not by a whole lot, felt good with the effort.  Hopefully will feel well enough tomorrow for my first Tri.  Just want to finish and find out where I need the work.  Good luck to Shelly and Jacki on your races this weekend too.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  

of 51