BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2013-04-12 7:30 PM
in reply to: #4549367

User image

Cleveland OH
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed

Congratulations!!

and yes that def puts a hamper on your training.  My honey do list is on hold till OCT.

2013-04-12 8:12 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
38*, raining and windy.  Perfect for running.  I made up my schedule for the rest of the month, and yesterday when it was 45* and rainy I figured tomorrow couldn't get any worse so I flipped the bike and the run.  Not the best call. 
2013-04-12 8:22 PM
in reply to: #4698586

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

jonD81 - 2013-04-12 9:12 PM 38*, raining and windy.  Perfect for running.  I made up my schedule for the rest of the month, and yesterday when it was 45* and rainy I figured tomorrow couldn't get any worse so I flipped the bike and the run.  Not the best call. 

*shudder* I hate.. HATE cold weather. today was perfect running weather here: 80*, full sun, and a very slight breeze Cool

does everyone plan their workouts a month in advance? i just kind of wing it week to week with a volume goal typically. 

2013-04-13 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4698593

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

That run blew, but I felt good about getting out there and just doing it.

This is the first time I've ever planned out my schedule as this is my first real year of training.  I did it more so I have something to keep myself accountable for than anything else.  I like the idea of checking something off the list every day.  I'm still just kind of building up my base.  I want to do a few Oly's this year so I just need to work myself up to be comfortable at those distances.

2013-04-13 7:42 PM

User image

Cleveland OH

Jon, I traded the stock wheels in and upgraded just a tad for these

Clempson, Us northerners have to either brave the elements and go out in the cold /snow /hail/rain, or whatever the hell else is coming out of the sky if we want to get a decent workout in.  Either that or the dreadmill steals our souls once again.  Just yesterday I rode 15 miles in 40 degrees, yes it was cold but I know that I have to race there next sunday and I have to be prepared for whatever comes my way.

couple weeks ago I ran 8 miles in the rain, it was 45ish.  My wife wanted to go run too so when I got back I said ok your turn,  she said I'm not running in this crap,  I said well what happens on our first Half Mary day and its raining?  Your not going to run?    When she got back she told me how far she had gone and I congratulated her on her first 5 mile run.  She said it was the best run she has ever had.

2013-04-14 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4699177

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
smithat05 - 2013-04-13 8:42 PM

Jon, I traded the stock wheels in and upgraded just a tad for these

Well they look awesome. 

Swim and run yesterday, swim this morning.  I'm working on distance with the swim.  It's really just a matter of telling myself I can keep going and that I'm not going to drown.  I'm trying to knock down that mental barrier that is telling me stop when I start breathing harder.  I don't want to say learning how to swim tired, but it's teaching myself that I can keep going.

2013-04-14 7:10 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
whew... broke my shoddy luck track record at the Trideltathon this morning. 1st place in my last race in the 25-29 age group. (Not a USAT race so they used current age vs. Dec31 age.)
2013-04-15 7:00 AM
in reply to: #4699921

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
That's awesome man, congrats.  Sounds like a fun event.  I'd love to find a short sprint like that just to go all out on.
2013-04-15 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
only got a run in this weekend and some "crosstraining" with the ds using the tagalong to do some shopping at the hardware store. I'm really struggling trying to get myself to go swim!
2013-04-15 3:55 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

another week of training... this week im going to try and add some additional bike workouts outside and cut out a trainer workout.  my bike volume is extremely lacking. thoughts on what i should be doing on the trainer for just two workouts?  i was thinking sets of 2 minute intervals and the other being two 20 minute blocks.  outside rides will mostly be longer and group rides.

im also thinking of entering a "local" crit in athens GA in two weeks, Terrapin Twilight Crit. However, there is also a 5k Run + 100k Ride option i might do instead of the crit, and it would be more focused towards my HIM which is coming up.... finally booked a hotel today, should have done that months ago...

off to hop on my trainer... 

2013-04-16 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4701454

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

This is just my thought, but I'd say try to do your trainer workouts that are a complete opposite of what you can do outside, so most likely very strict intervals above FTP.  I know a lot of my interval training outside is limited due to streets, hills, stops, etc, and a lot of the time I can't get a solid 2-3 minutes. 

2013-04-16 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4702586

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I've lived in and around Boston my entire life.  I grew up 5 miles from downtown and was a citizen of The City during my college years and some years scattered before.  I've been to the morning Red Sox game so many times and just wandered over to the Marathon after to check it out.  One year my gf and I lived on the route in Brookline, we watched the whole thing go by us from our roof.  Everyone here is at a total lose for words as to what went on yesterday and I know there are a few other people from this group that are from the immediate area and I'm sure they feel the same way.  Someone stole something from us yesterday and it just leaves this hollow feeling inside. No one knows what to do or how to feel.  I know I went for a run last night and kind of got lost in thought.  It felt therapeutic to just let my mind go like that.  I hope everyone here that had anyone involved in the race or as a spectator is safe and sound and all we do is hope we as people can somehow change our ways and stop things like this from happening.
2013-04-17 8:28 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Clempson - 2013-04-15 4:55 PM

another week of training... this week im going to try and add some additional bike workouts outside and cut out a trainer workout.  my bike volume is extremely lacking. thoughts on what i should be doing on the trainer for just two workouts?  i was thinking sets of 2 minute intervals and the other being two 20 minute blocks.  outside rides will mostly be longer and group rides.

im also thinking of entering a "local" crit in athens GA in two weeks, Terrapin Twilight Crit. However, there is also a 5k Run + 100k Ride option i might do instead of the crit, and it would be more focused towards my HIM which is coming up.... finally booked a hotel today, should have done that months ago...

If I were only doing two workouts on the trainer I'd have one as a 2x20 or variant (3x15, 4x10, 2x30) starting with 50% rest (half of the set length) and working my way down on rest.

The other would be 5x5's at close to FTP (a bit above) starting with 100% rest and then trying to get down to something like 1' rest.

Use the outside rides for volume (and fun) and re-evaluate your power every 4 weeks or so.

Getting excited about the HIM yet??

2013-04-17 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4702618

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

jonD81 - 2013-04-16 12:08 PM I've lived in and around Boston my entire life.  I grew up 5 miles from downtown and was a citizen of The City during my college years and some years scattered before.  I've been to the morning Red Sox game so many times and just wandered over to the Marathon after to check it out.  One year my gf and I lived on the route in Brookline, we watched the whole thing go by us from our roof.  Everyone here is at a total lose for words as to what went on yesterday and I know there are a few other people from this group that are from the immediate area and I'm sure they feel the same way.  Someone stole something from us yesterday and it just leaves this hollow feeling inside. No one knows what to do or how to feel.  I know I went for a run last night and kind of got lost in thought.  It felt therapeutic to just let my mind go like that.  I hope everyone here that had anyone involved in the race or as a spectator is safe and sound and all we do is hope we as people can somehow change our ways and stop things like this from happening.

well said. What happened was terrible in so many ways, most of all the senseless loss of life. It really hits home with us as competitors, and Boston is such a Worldwide event... truly terrible.

2013-04-17 12:15 PM

Columbus, OH

Hey All,

I haven't been on here in quite some time, my apologies.  We just bought a new house, moved in, and now have the condo on the market... it's been a lot of work and kept me plenty busy but I swear I've still made time for workouts!  I actually started my official training for my ultimate goal of an Olympic Tri in July.  I'm on a 16 week plan that started last week.  I've got a strong base going into training so I feel pretty good!

I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy and I hope to be on here more often!

2013-04-17 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson

sorry, forgot where your HIM is but one thing you can't do on the open road is long stretches at FTP so I think 2 20 minute blocks at or slightly above FTP, if you have time add a 10 minute block at the front and end. The other one should either increase your VO2max with like you mentioned, downward spiral also comes to mind, or if it is supremely hilly and you want to improve then hike up that front tire and do Angels or something similar... If I can get in the water I think that Clemson Xterra will be my first tri this year. won't make it to the beach tonight, maybe next Wednesday.

2013-04-17 4:33 PM
in reply to: #4704510

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
coolgenes - 2013-04-17 3:59 PM

sorry, forgot where your HIM is but one thing you can't do on the open road is long stretches at FTP so I think 2 20 minute blocks at or slightly above FTP, if you have time add a 10 minute block at the front and end. The other one should either increase your VO2max with like you mentioned, downward spiral also comes to mind, or if it is supremely hilly and you want to improve then hike up that front tire and do Angels or something similar... If I can get in the water I think that Clemson Xterra will be my first tri this year. won't make it to the beach tonight, maybe next Wednesday.

i don't think anyone is making it to the beach tonight. pretty stormy out.

yea i was thinking downward spiral, angels, hell hath no fury, and the hunted for sufferfest videos since all but downward spiral are 8 and 20 minute intervals.  its just really hard to do anything the morning after two 20 minute blocks...

2013-04-17 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4703684

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Leegoocrap - 2013-04-17 9:28 AM

If I were only doing two workouts on the trainer I'd have one as a 2x20 or variant (3x15, 4x10, 2x30) starting with 50% rest (half of the set length) and working my way down on rest.

The other would be 5x5's at close to FTP (a bit above) starting with 100% rest and then trying to get down to something like 1' rest.

Use the outside rides for volume (and fun) and re-evaluate your power every 4 weeks or so.

Getting excited about the HIM yet??

5x5's with descending rest periods? that sounds evil....

not really "excited", im comfortable about being able to finish it decently at the moment.  i just need a few good long rides followed by a short run to make sure i have my nutrition dialed in.  right now i have no plan so i should probably think about that.  i have been strictly using the products which will be available on the course for my long runs; haven't done any rides long enough yet to need anything more than a water bottle with a salt tab in it.

i am getting excited about local time trials starting in a few weeks though

Edited by Clempson 2013-04-17 4:38 PM
2013-04-18 7:12 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

The triathlon this weekend (In Panama City... go go vacation!!!) is going to have an elite wave that races for $$$.

Exciting, I am going to need some booze money

2013-04-19 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4705126

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Leegoocrap - 2013-04-18 8:12 AM

The triathlon this weekend (In Panama City... go go vacation!!!) is going to have an elite wave that races for $$$.

Exciting, I am going to need some booze money

nice, let us now how it goes. is it an ocean swim?

2013-04-19 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

put in a little of 13 miles this morning with some coworkers. they pushed the pace a lot harder than i wanted the first 4 miles, but i settled in and ended up finishing it at a much faster pace than i thought i was capable of at the moment.

it only poured on us the last half of the run. 

2013-04-20 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

raced this morning.

Got very sick (vomiting) about 250m into the swim. Decided to pull myself despite knowing how much I'd regret it later.

Tough day, very disappointing. Still, I'm confident it was the right choice. Doesn't make it suck any less. Salt water seems to not be my friend.

*also, do not do a swim in 45 degree temps without a wetsuit... :P

2013-04-20 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4708157

User image

Cleveland OH
Leegoocrap - 2013-04-20 10:20 AM

raced this morning.

Got very sick (vomiting) about 250m into the swim. Decided to pull myself despite knowing how much I'd regret it later.

Tough day, very disappointing. Still, I'm confident it was the right choice. Doesn't make it suck any less. Salt water seems to not be my friend.

That sucks bud.  live and learn I guess

2013-04-20 1:58 PM

User image

Cleveland OH

Trained a few times this week.  

Wife and I had our 5k this morning at the cleveland zoo.   maybe 150 people to run.  Run was 2 loops through the zoo and there is a pretty big hill to climb.  I finished 4th overall with a time of 21:40  not bad considering the hill you have to run up twice.  My wife finished 3rd in women to finish.  We actually got little trophies!  pretty cool

Now tomorrow my duathlon.  I'm already nervous just thinking about it.

2013-04-20 4:45 PM
in reply to: #4708157

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Leegoocrap - 2013-04-20 10:20 AM

raced this morning.

sounds rough, i am very hesitant that i will ever sign up for an ocean swim race because i have no idea how i will react to that.  at least you were sensible enough to know when to call the race.  enjoy the rest of your weekend in panama city.

i don't think i would have even gotten in the water if it was 45, chilly

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 39