BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-05-28 7:30 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Ok, gang, I'd like some advice from anyone with 70.3 experience. I've got Ironman Raleigh 70.3 coming up on Sunday; I've done all the training, and I feel comfortable with the distances, but this is my first race at this distance. So, for those of you with any experience at this distance, what lessons have you learned? Any wisdom?

2013-05-28 7:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Ok, gang, I'd like some advice from anyone with 70.3 experience. I've got Ironman Raleigh 70.3 coming up on Sunday; I've done all the training, and I feel comfortable with the distances, but this is my first race at this distance. So, for those of you with any experience at this distance, what lessons have you learned? Any wisdom?

Seconded.
I'm interested in pacing specifically. Should we pay attention to specific HR zones? As far as nutrition, how often should we be taking in sugar/water?
Thanks!

Edited by leechj 2013-05-28 7:39 AM
2013-05-28 12:56 PM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
So back to the real world after 3 days with no contact, its was actually kind of nice not to have the cell phone on and constant distractions. However, I got zero training this weekend unless you count chasing around 3 toddlers all over the camp site for 3 days. I did happen to get in about a 20 minute swim in the river near the campground, it was running so fast that it was like swimming in one of those endless pools, so kind of interesting and strange in the same sense, that there was only like 4 yards of movement in each direction depending on my stroke rate. Sounds like everyone had a decent weekend except Randy, glad to see your okay. Time to get back at it.
2013-05-28 5:26 PM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Swam in the Savannah River for about 30 minutes this afternoon....HORRIBLE motion sickness from the current and wake from the boats and jetskis.
2013-05-28 6:20 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie/Nate-hopefully you have been working on your hydration and nutrition during long rides and runs. I try to get most of my nutrition/fluids in on the bike before the last 15-20 minutes of the ride so I don't have anything sloshing around in my stomach early in the run. You should have an idea of how many calories you need each hour on the bike . Try to be consistent in taking them in but don't overdo it. You will want to take in more fluids the hotter the day.

Pacing-you should have an idea of a a metric (HR or RPE) that you can sustain based on your long rides/runs. I find that it is easier to keep a steady HR on the bike rather than the run as there seems to be some creep upward during a long run even while maintaining the same pace. In my last HIM I felt great coming off the bike and really had to work hard to keep my pace where it needed to be. I still had some miles that were too fast and I faded over the last 2-3 miles of the run. Your run pace coming off the bike should "feel" easy and too slow. It will get harder to maintain as the run progresses and the accumulated stress of the day starts catching up with you. Pace conservatively and finish strong.

You guys have lots of quality training behind you. Race your race...don't worry about what everyone else is doing. Rely on your fitness and don't cook yourself on the bike. 13.1 miles is a long way to run/shuffle if you over do it on the bike and have nothing left in the legs.

I feel substantially better today. Much more range of motion in my knee. Pretty sure I had a mild concussion after the crash as I felt like I had a hangover Sunday and part of the day yesterday. Unfortunately, I know what a hangover feels like, although its been awhile, and thats how my head felt. Got on the bike for 45-50 minutes this afternoon and felt pretty good. May try a 30 minute run tomorrow. Not sure they would let me in the pool with all my scrapes.... 

2013-05-28 7:28 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by slornow

Jamie/Nate-hopefully you have been working on your hydration and nutrition during long rides and runs. I try to get most of my nutrition/fluids in on the bike before the last 15-20 minutes of the ride so I don't have anything sloshing around in my stomach early in the run. You should have an idea of how many calories you need each hour on the bike . Try to be consistent in taking them in but don't overdo it. You will want to take in more fluids the hotter the day.

Pacing-you should have an idea of a a metric (HR or RPE) that you can sustain based on your long rides/runs. I find that it is easier to keep a steady HR on the bike rather than the run as there seems to be some creep upward during a long run even while maintaining the same pace. In my last HIM I felt great coming off the bike and really had to work hard to keep my pace where it needed to be. I still had some miles that were too fast and I faded over the last 2-3 miles of the run. Your run pace coming off the bike should "feel" easy and too slow. It will get harder to maintain as the run progresses and the accumulated stress of the day starts catching up with you. Pace conservatively and finish strong.

You guys have lots of quality training behind you. Race your race...don't worry about what everyone else is doing. Rely on your fitness and don't cook yourself on the bike. 13.1 miles is a long way to run/shuffle if you over do it on the bike and have nothing left in the legs.

Ditto what Randy says. You should have the nutrition somewhat figured out by now. I mix my electrolyte drink (I swore that I would never do this, that I would just live off the course, but I have become one of those crazy home-brew nutrition guys) so that if I drink one bottle/hour on the bike it is just about perfect for me. For your HIM, 2.5-3 bottles (300-400 calories/hour) of glucose/electrolytes should be about perfect and supplement with water to keep your thirst at bay. You will probably have to pick up at least one on-course bottle of nutrition unless you want to carry three bottles, which is a lot of weight in my world. I would start with two bottles on the bike. Try to be finished with the first one by the first aid station (assuming it is about 15miles in). Drop that empty bottle and pick up some water at that aid station. Finish your fluids with 15-30 minutes left. It is amazing how bad having 30 oz of fluids sloshing around in you stomach can make the start of the run feel.

Pacing on the bike. You need to have a reliable metric. I use power. Some use heart rate. Others rate of perceived exertion (RPE). You are going to feel pretty good when you first hop on the bike. Don't go like a bat out of hades for the first 10 miles or so and then realize that you have used too much energy. It should feel pretty easy. It will get harder as the ride goes on.

When you finally get off the bike it is easy to run too hard as well. At IMAZ last year, the first mile of the run I was at 6:40 pace and saying to myself, "self, this is easy, you should do the whole race like this...." Fortunately I snapped out of my endorphin-induced fugue and slowed down to something that I really could sustain. It will only get harder as the miles go on. You don't want the last 5-10k to be a death march. If you get to the 10 mile mark and feel like you have a bunch in the tank, by all means, scorch the last 5k. You will feel like a rock star as you pass all of the people who weren't smart about it and went out way too hard. I carry no fluids or nutrition with me while running. This is where I do live off the course. Check in advance how far aid-stations are apart so you can plan accordingly.

2013-05-28 7:31 PM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by mndymond

It's TAPER TIME! TAPER TIME! I love TAPER TIME!

5 days till Honu 70.3 and 28 days till IM France!

Easy swim in the ocean today since the pool is closed and a short tune up run this afternoon once it cools off.

I LOVE taper time!

Congratulations on getting to taper madness. You have been doing some seriously hard-core training. I suspect your results will reflect all of the work you have put in to this.
2013-05-28 9:23 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Randy & Jason, thanks for the info! I feel Ike I have a pretty good handle on my race plan, but I just wanted some tips from some folks who'd been there before! I'm getting nervous, this is a new distance...
2013-05-29 10:40 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

New user
Nate and Jamie, you guys will crush it. You have put in the training and you both will be very methodical about your nutrition.
I look forward to reading your race reports!!
2013-05-29 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by WoodrowCall Randy & Jason, thanks for the info! I feel Ike I have a pretty good handle on my race plan, but I just wanted some tips from some folks who'd been there before! I'm getting nervous, this is a new distance...

My only advice is if the race is going to be hot, remember ice is your friend.  All of my HIMs have been in 100F+ temperatures and I would take two cups of ice at each aid station.  One went down the sports bra (for you maybe its pants or hat?) and the other I would suck on or rub on my neck and wrists.  It made a big difference.

you've got this.   You're such an accomplished athlete, it's going to go great.

2013-05-29 11:38 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Thanks for the tip about the ice, and all the supportive words. Right now the temp forecast is 90, which is hot, but nothing we're not pretty used to around here. Also, this will serve as a perfect practice run for IM Louisville conditions!

2013-05-29 11:44 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Melissa, Jamie, Nate-since ya'll are racing WTC events please post your race number or if you don't mind your first/last name so we can try to follow online. If you are not comfortable dong this no problem.
2013-05-29 12:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Melissa, Jamie, Nate-since ya'll are racing WTC events please post your race number or if you don't mind your first/last name so we can try to follow online. If you are not comfortable dong this no problem.

Yeah, of course! I'll be flattered if anyone is checking my progress on Sunday. Roszel is the last name and my bib number is 1845.
2013-05-29 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Sure thing! My Bib number is 1799 and name is "James Leech"
2013-05-29 1:21 PM
in reply to: leechj

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
SO excited for you guys!!!!!

2013-05-29 2:39 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Originally posted by WoodrowCall Randy & Jason, thanks for the info! I feel Ike I have a pretty good handle on my race plan, but I just wanted some tips from some folks who'd been there before! I'm getting nervous, this is a new distance...

My only advice is if the race is going to be hot, remember ice is your friend.  All of my HIMs have been in 100F+ temperatures and I would take two cups of ice at each aid station.  One went down the sports bra (for you maybe its pants or hat?) and the other I would suck on or rub on my neck and wrists.  It made a big difference.

you've got this.   You're such an accomplished athlete, it's going to go great.

I also use the ice. I dump water on my head and take a cup of ice. I find that letting it melt in my hands as I run is the best way for me to keep cool (or think I am keeping cool).

2013-05-29 2:43 PM

User image

Champion

Last name Dymond. Race bib 1889.

Crowe is doing this one too! Stoked!
2013-05-29 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4724546

Jamie/Nate: 1. It's a long day--really watch the early bike for pacing. Folks are too excited. 2. Sunscreen heavy pre race and refresh BOTH transitions. So worth every second. 3. Ice down shorts front and back. 4. Salt tabs are your friends. Coke is also your friend. 5. Have a super awesome race--remember what a privilege it is to simply toe the starting line! Laura
2013-05-29 3:27 PM
in reply to: rallen12

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by rallen12

4. Salt tabs are your friends. Coke is also your friend.

Laura

Since you mentioned it, and I recently saw it recommended on FB in another Tri group...... When and what type do you use? I use endurolytes (Hammer) - is this really a salt only tab? This is totally new to me......
2013-05-29 4:45 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I can't offer any advice, but wanted to wish all of you great races this weekend!
2013-05-29 5:18 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

I use the salt tablets in the blue bottle--very scientific! Different brands should be fairly similar in chemical content. I take them about every 45 minutes to an hour.. The hotter it gets the more you take. They can be little miracle pills. I prefer putting a bunch in a ziplock Baggie for the run. I can tuck it down my top or up the leg of my shorts. My husband uses a mini-m&ms container. One more thing...be sure to have a post-race plan. My first one I sat down in the first spot I found, right in the bright sun on a 100 degree day---I needed someone with some sense to get me sugar and into the cool. Raleigh is a great town and it should be a super cool race. Have fun!!

Also, be sure to go to the pro talk the day before!!!!!! They are so cool!!!!

2013-05-29 5:45 PM
in reply to: rallen12

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by rallen12 I use the salt tablets in the blue bottle--very scientific! Different brands should be fairly similar in chemical content. I take them about every 45 minutes to an hour.. The hotter it gets the more you take. They can be little miracle pills. I prefer putting a bunch in a ziplock Baggie for the run. I can tuck it down my top or up the leg of my shorts. My husband uses a mini-m&ms container. One more thing...be sure to have a post-race plan. My first one I sat down in the first spot I found, right in the bright sun on a 100 degree day---I needed someone with some sense to get me sugar and into the cool. Raleigh is a great town and it should be a super cool race. Have fun!! Also, be sure to go to the pro talk the day before!!!!!! They are so cool!!!!

I think you might be talking about Salt Stick.  I use those too.  Dosage definitely varies by conditions and weight.  I'm on the small side so 1 per hour in normal conditions, 2 if it is hot and humid.   Definitely test before a race.  I did a very heavy salt load in some of my longer training days and IM and it really came back to bite me on race day.  Zero whizzing the entire time caused 12lbs of weight gain and severe kidney issues.  Ended up walking the entire marathon in severe pain.   Not cool.

2013-05-29 8:20 PM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by mndymond

Last name Dymond. Race bib 1889.

Crowe is doing this one too! Stoked!

Good luck on your race! I'm really envying the location!
2013-05-29 8:40 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I don't use any salt tabs or solid nutrition.

I get all of my salt and glucose through drinking.

Since I have switched to this plan I have avoided any GI upset problems.

The water and ice for cooling is something I forgot to mention so I am glad that Suzy did. If I have any water left in a water bottle as I approach an aid station I pour it in the vents of my helmet and all over my jersey and shorts. Drop the empty, grab a new one and get going. The evaporative cooling that you get from water all over you on the bike is a real thing. Don't miss out on this chance to keep yourself as cool as possible.
2013-05-29 9:02 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Thanks everyone for the advice and good luck to you, Melissa! You'll do great!

Question: so when can we drop the water bottles? Is there a designated "drop area" where we are allowed to just throw them down? I can imagine a part of the course littered with bottles

Also, what is the link I can give family and friends so they can track me on the race?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88