Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-07-13 1:46 AM
in reply to: TrevorC

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN

Trevor - you did Him?  Or you, *gasp* raced a half iron distance?   Can't be that, we haven't see a rr yet!!!!

Innocent

2013-07-13 3:01 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Originally posted by jfought I've been traveling, and tried to post from my phone on Wednesday, but it did didn't work. So, here's the very late question of the week.Who's racing this weekend? Also, things are really heating up around the country. How do you handle the heat? Do you adjust your training, stay indoors, or just tough it out?

Doing a sprint in a little town about an hour away from Minocqua.    Swimming in a river that is dark brown from the tannins, biking on a nice rolling course and then doing a cross country run that isn't always fun to navigate.  Goal is to have fun and nothing more.

I train through the heat, because that's what we race in.  More electrolytes and more H20 and run more by RPEis about all I do differently.

No race for me today.  Storms greeted me at 4am and after looking at the radar 1:10 away, I said screw it.  

2013-07-13 5:08 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Originally posted by velcromom

Trevor - you did Him?  Or you, *gasp* raced a half iron distance?   Can't be that, we haven't see a rr yet!!!!

Innocent

He was okay. I forgot how hard it was. I hadn't done Him since last year, and really was motivated to do it, but I did - and I liked it. I may do him again.
2013-07-14 12:21 AM
in reply to: TrevorC

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

I'll just pretend I didn't read that and try to revive the thread.  

No racing here.  It does not get that hot here until August and even then it only gets up to 90 or 95.   I try to get out in the warmer part of the day because my races are far enough away that the highs end up being 90 or so.

2013-07-14 6:25 AM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Expert
Noosa
Just back from a few days away in some hills inland called the Bunya Mountains. Stayed in a cabin with a fire and the kids got presents for "Christmas in July", its a bit of a tradition here for lots of families who still hanker for a Winter Christmas!

Glad to here Zak got his place Linda, what was that RD's problem???

As far as training in the heat goes I just try to go out very early or wait till it gets dark, drinking a bottle of iced sports drink just before the workout also helps.
2013-07-14 12:42 PM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Champion
The girls are out of the water....Linda has her first bike split and it's smoking!  Go KIM!  Go LINDA!

2013-07-15 3:36 PM
in reply to: jfought

User image

New user
Hi All,

I raced an HIM this weekend in Ocean Shores WA. It was a fresh water swim and panic set in...again. Almost got out, but pushed through. Swim time was 51 min. T1 was about 3:25. Got on bike, once calmed down felt really good and strong, was a bit windy but weather was nice. 3:15 on the bike. T2 was 2:28. Legs felt good and did the run in 2:34, 4 miles or so was in the sand. Overall time was 6:47:26. This was the fastest time I have ever had and ended up 2nd in my age group. I felt really good about the race and body felt really good the next day. Cant wait to hear the Vineman report!!
2013-07-15 3:54 PM
in reply to: Nadscats

User image

New user
On another note, is anyone else having issues with looking at others training logs? I cant hover over the photo anymore...
2013-07-15 4:52 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Originally posted by Nadscats

Hi All,

I raced an HIM this weekend in Ocean Shores WA. It was a fresh water swim and panic set in...again. Almost got out, but pushed through. Swim time was 51 min. T1 was about 3:25. Got on bike, once calmed down felt really good and strong, was a bit windy but weather was nice. 3:15 on the bike. T2 was 2:28. Legs felt good and did the run in 2:34, 4 miles or so was in the sand. Overall time was 6:47:26. This was the fastest time I have ever had and ended up 2nd in my age group. I felt really good about the race and body felt really good the next day. Cant wait to hear the Vineman report!!

Nadine, way to go! You are a superstar!! Congratulations!
2013-07-15 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Great Job, Nadine!!

My rr is up......

2013-07-15 6:17 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Linda's RR is here   (hopefully)

2013-07-16 1:52 AM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Expert
Noosa

Well done racers!!!

Here's a pic form our trip last week:

2013-07-16 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Suzy, sorry that your race didn't happen and that we didn't get to meet you.  Nadine and Linda, Way to crush the course out there.  I'm not even sure I remember how to do a transition, let alone a triathlon. 

Well, Bruce had his induction into the ultra world and made it look easy.  The race course was the most beautiful that I've experienced so far.  There were beautiful 300' bluffs, open prairies covered in wildflowers, and awesome pine and hardwood forests.  The beauty of the course made it seem less painful ;-).  There was over 2200' of elevation gain, and the ups and downs were LONG.  It makes me want to get out in the Rockies and get some more.  I races like I typically do, slow and steady for an 8'11" effort.  Bruce trotted along with me humming and singing to entertain us through the miles.  Normally, when someone makes it look that easy it annoys the hell out of me, but not this time Surprised, it must be his patience and kindness.  I haven't been writing race reports for the ultras, so if you have any specific questions, ask.

DWD

This was at the 20 mi. aid station where we had access to our drop bags.  He's really a lot happier than he looks.  LOL

2013-07-16 11:09 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by jfought

Suzy, sorry that your race didn't happen and that we didn't get to meet you.  Nadine and Linda, Way to crush the course out there.  I'm not even sure I remember how to do a transition, let alone a triathlon. 

Well, Bruce had his induction into the ultra world and made it look easy.  The race course was the most beautiful that I've experienced so far.  There were beautiful 300' bluffs, open prairies covered in wildflowers, and awesome pine and hardwood forests.  The beauty of the course made it seem less painful ;-).  There was over 2200' of elevation gain, and the ups and downs were LONG.  It makes me want to get out in the Rockies and get some more.  I races like I typically do, slow and steady for an 8'11" effort.  Bruce trotted along with me humming and singing to entertain us through the miles.  Normally, when someone makes it look that easy it annoys the hell out of me, but not this time Surprised, it must be his patience and kindness.  I haven't been writing race reports for the ultras, so if you have any specific questions, ask.

DWD

This was at the 20 mi. aid station where we had access to our drop bags.  He's really a lot happier than he looks.  LOL

I can't believe you were at the Grumpy Trolll!  If you had made it one hour later, I could have been there too!  Did you get one of there honking big baked pretzels?  The BOMB!

You two look must have grown pretty close, hugging each other all sweaty!  Devils Lake is one of my favorite spots.  The swim in the Lake is really spectacular too.

2013-07-16 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Originally posted by SSMinnow

DWD

I can't believe you were at the Grumpy Trolll!  If you had made it one hour later, I could have been there too!  Did you get one of there honking big baked pretzels?  The BOMB!

You two look must have grown pretty close, hugging each other all sweaty!  Devils Lake is one of my favorite spots.  The swim in the Lake is really spectacular too.

After over 8 hours on the trail together, there are things I can tell you about Bruce that I'm sure you don't want to know. Foot in mouth Let's just say this......I'm glad he burps a lot!

2013-07-16 3:44 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Nadscats Hi All, I raced an HIM this weekend in Ocean Shores WA. It was a fresh water swim and panic set in...again. Almost got out, but pushed through. Swim time was 51 min. T1 was about 3:25. Got on bike, once calmed down felt really good and strong, was a bit windy but weather was nice. 3:15 on the bike. T2 was 2:28. Legs felt good and did the run in 2:34, 4 miles or so was in the sand. Overall time was 6:47:26. This was the fastest time I have ever had and ended up 2nd in my age group. I felt really good about the race and body felt really good the next day. Cant wait to hear the Vineman report!!

Great job overcoming the swim panic to PR!!!  

2013-07-17 5:18 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Great picture Jayne, Bruce looks like a hunk and you look like a carefree cool ultra running chick with your headband! You never look sweaty and disheveled in your race photos, do you have a special lens!

I'm loving my bike riding again, it's strange but I much prefer doing Trainer Road workouts to outdoor rides; each session is a killer and I can feel the gains every time I get on the bike. I'm looking forward to doing a sprint in September and unleashing the new bike legs

2013-07-17 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Yo Peeps!  Who's gearing up to race this weekend, and what's the plan?

peeps

Let's talk about the tough workouts.  You know the ones........you dread them, avoid them, think about them anxiously when you're trying to sleep, and know they must get done.  Tell us about a recent TOUGH workout and how you motivated yourself.

2013-07-17 9:37 AM

User image

Master

peeps

Let's talk about the tough workouts.  You know the ones........you dread them, avoid them, think about them anxiously when you're trying to sleep, and know they must get done.  Tell us about a recent TOUGH workout and how you motivated yourself.

No time to reply at the moment, but I changed up the font since it looked like Cyrillic on my screen!!

2013-07-17 10:09 AM
in reply to: kkcbelle

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

I am not racing.

Speaking of hard work out I am about to go do 2800 in the pool at lunch. My biggest thing is just getting dressed and started. I noticed that if I start then after the first few mins I am fine.

Congrats to all HIM and Ultra finishers last week.

2013-07-17 2:26 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Originally posted by kkcbelle

peeps

No time to reply at the moment, but I changed up the font since it looked like Cyrillic on my screen!!

No racing for me this weekend.  Back to the regularly scheduled program.  Honestly, I have a lot of workouts that I dread....especially the runs.  They're just hard.......  What I have to do is set my schedule for the week and then, like the Nike slogan, "Just Do It".  I can't let myself even think about it, or the negative slacker thoughts creep in.  I also remind myself how good it will feel when it's over :-)

2013-07-17 4:11 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Will we ever get off page #24? 

David, Love that you're enjoying the trainer workouts.  You are a rare bird!

2013-07-17 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Anybody heard anything out of Julia lately?

2013-07-17 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Fatty was much better at post padding than I am.
2013-07-17 4:16 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by kkcbelle

peeps

No racing for me. I might go and do a Parkrun 5k with Oliver - my 10 yr old. Not sure if they have this in the US but it started in the UK and spread here last year. Basically they're organized and timed 5k runs that take place every Saturday morning followed by coffee. All you have to do is register online and print out a barcode then turn up and run for free. There's one about 30 mins drive away now which runs along behind a beach to a lighthouse and back.

As far as tough workouts, the ones I dread are the LONG rides and early swims. I much prefer to hammer myself for an hour.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44