General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-03-18 7:50 AM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
Quote of the day: When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. –Lao Tzu

Good interval trainer ride last night, 15 miles in 45 mins. Broke down to 15 min warmup then 3mins hard 3mins recover x 4. Felt good felt strong, then the big news weighed in and........ 240! woohoo Feeling good today

2014-03-18 8:32 AM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by diablo243 Quote of the day: When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. –Lao Tzu Good interval trainer ride last night, 15 miles in 45 mins. Broke down to 15 min warmup then 3mins hard 3mins recover x 4. Felt good felt strong, then the big news weighed in and........ 240! woohoo Feeling good today

Great job!!!

I only did a short 10 mile ride last night.  I am trying to do a short run / walk session on the treadmill in the morning and then a bike ride or swim at night.  Sometimes or some days it doesn't work out because of my work, art and music schedules.  But that is my plan anyway.

2014-03-18 8:47 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Yardville, NJ
Well I thought traveling to Atlanta would give me some warm weather for running outside. Yeah, not so much. 36 and drizzle here this morning.

I did 1:15 on the treadmill yesterday afternoon between the conference and the evening event at the Georgia Aquarium. Logged over 25,000 steps on my fitbit yesterday!

This morning I ran on the treadmill again. 5.25 miles in 1 hr. It was a workout that is supposed to raise my LT. Not sure how that works but I did it anyway. Lol

Back to the conference and expo hall today. Keeping those steps going!
2014-03-18 8:52 AM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Yardville, NJ
I'm on myfitnesspal too. Send me a request [email protected]
2014-03-18 9:00 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I got my swim in yesterday morning... but I failed on the weight training last night. Things got busy, and when I jumped in bed I realized that I had just completely forgotten, lol! I did do my squats (2x25) and calf raises (3x20) this morning since I'm not running until later tonight.
2014-03-19 1:44 AM

User image

Originally posted by diablo243

Quote of the day: When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. –Lao Tzu

Good interval trainer ride last night, 15 miles in 45 mins. Broke down to 15 min warmup then 3mins hard 3mins recover x 4. Felt good felt strong, then the big news weighed in and........ 240! woohoo Feeling good today

WAY TO GO on the weigh in Diablo!

I just got done with my swim (11:30 pm) and am going to attempt to get up at 345 am to get my run in. I am working a lot and it's the only time I can fit it in. Not sure I will be able to drag myself out of bed...

I am on myfitnesspal too if any anyone wants to friend me there.

Have a great Wednesday!

Donna

2014-03-19 9:29 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Lots of good stuff going on here! Way to keep it moving forward everyone.

I have tried my fitness pal but I abandoned it for calorie count. It is easier to log home made foods and analyze recipes with CC.

Yesterday I started intermittent fasting. Primarily as a way for some long-term better health. The fact that it will aid in weight loss is a bonus not to be sneezed at. It is very early to rate it, but it was fairly easy yesterday and I was even traveling. It requires some, but not a lot of planning, which tends to be my downfall. I am doing the 5:2. which is five days normal eating and two days (nonconsecutive) of severely restricted food. I even biked pretty hard yesterday for an hour on only 600 calories for the day. There is lots and lots of good research on fasting and its benefits, especially to those things that add up as we age.

2014-03-19 9:46 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Quote of the day: The trouble with jogging is that by the time you realize you're not in shape for it,
it's too far to walk back. - Franklin Jones
2014-03-19 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Doing a 1 mile walk run in the mornings and then a 10 mile ride at night when I can fit it into my schedule each day.  Good thing I can workout whenever, because if I had a training partner we would never workout because of my schedule.

Swimming is a no-go for a few weeks because of my schedule and the pool hour schedule.  And I was almost getting used to being back into the water.Oh well.

2014-03-19 1:03 PM

User image

I'm running a sprint on May 17th. I'm working up to full 440yds on the swim. The c25k is going good. I'm not worried about completing the 12mi bike... however... Is there anything I can do to maybe improve my bike speed a bit beforehand?

Looking back at last year's results, the Clyde category had a top bike speed of about 19. My avg speed of about 15 puts me in the middle of the pack. If I can somehow squeak out 16-17 mph, that'll give me a few extra minutes for the swim, run or fumbling around in transitions before the 2hr cutoff. I've been looking around, and with my schedule, I'm not seeing anything I can modify for me.

My schedule now:
Sunday: 4:45a-6a (I work)
Thurs: 6p~7p (11.6 mi group ride)
Saturday: 4:45a-7:30a (available time, I'm generally out 2 hours)

My equipment:
Bike, Helmet, Strava App to track. I have no cadence, speed, power or heart rate monitors. I do have an interval timer app that I use for running and jumping rope. I'm also a masher as I only have flat pedals.

With Thursday's ride speed set by the slowest group member, and only having 2 consecutive days available other than that, I'm just not sure which way I need to go...
2014-03-19 1:59 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

I'm running a sprint on May 17th. I'm working up to full 440yds on the swim. The c25k is going good. I'm not worried about completing the 12mi bike... however... Is there anything I can do to maybe improve my bike speed a bit beforehand?

Looking back at last year's results, the Clyde category had a top bike speed of about 19. My avg speed of about 15 puts me in the middle of the pack. If I can somehow squeak out 16-17 mph, that'll give me a few extra minutes for the swim, run or fumbling around in transitions before the 2hr cutoff. I've been looking around, and with my schedule, I'm not seeing anything I can modify for me.

My schedule now:
Sunday: 4:45a-6a (I work)
Thurs: 6p~7p (11.6 mi group ride)
Saturday: 4:45a-7:30a (available time, I'm generally out 2 hours)

My equipment:
Bike, Helmet, Strava App to track. I have no cadence, speed, power or heart rate monitors. I do have an interval timer app that I use for running and jumping rope. I'm also a masher as I only have flat pedals.

With Thursday's ride speed set by the slowest group member, and only having 2 consecutive days available other than that, I'm just not sure which way I need to go...

Hey Web the the best thing you could do for your performance on the bike is get clipless peddles. You loose so much effort and power when not directly connected to them. I have a pair of nice shimano SPD peddles that came off my Trek bike that I would be happy to send your way for free. I use Look peddles so I switch out the peddles to match my tri bike. With free peddles you can go on ebay and find spd compatible road shoes used for under $20 and be in business, single handily the best thing you could do to help your biking.

To increase speed I find interval training has done wonders from me, took my 5K time down from 36:00 to 31:20 in just 3 months. When I am doing intervals on the bike if not on a trainer look for a relatively flat biking area, warm up for 15 mins and the go 3mins at full effort, 3 mins at recovery effort. Do 4 to 6 sets like this and you will amazed how quickly your base speed increases.

Finally get a CPU for your bike that has cadence, wireless CPUs with cadence can be had at Bike Nashbar for under $30. after or even as important as peddles having a readout of how consistent your cadence is is very important to learning how to shift properly and getting the most out of the gears your in.

If you want those peddles PM me with your info and I'll get them out to you, if you need help buying or finding used gear, tell me what you want your sizes and budget, I am an eBay master and have a knack for getting the best deals(plus I belong to several different companies newsletters and flyers and am always looking to see what sales or promos are going on).

Good luck!

2014-03-19 4:16 PM

User image

Originally posted by diablo243

Hey Web the the best thing you could do for your performance on the bike is get clipless peddles. You loose so much effort and power when not directly connected to them. I have a pair of nice shimano SPD peddles that came off my Trek bike that I would be happy to send your way for free. I use Look peddles so I switch out the peddles to match my tri bike. With free peddles you can go on ebay and find spd compatible road shoes used for under $20 and be in business, single handily the best thing you could do to help your biking.

To increase speed I find interval training has done wonders from me, took my 5K time down from 36:00 to 31:20 in just 3 months. When I am doing intervals on the bike if not on a trainer look for a relatively flat biking area, warm up for 15 mins and the go 3mins at full effort, 3 mins at recovery effort. Do 4 to 6 sets like this and you will amazed how quickly your base speed increases.

Finally get a CPU for your bike that has cadence, wireless CPUs with cadence can be had at Bike Nashbar for under $30. after or even as important as peddles having a readout of how consistent your cadence is is very important to learning how to shift properly and getting the most out of the gears your in.

If you want those peddles PM me with your info and I'll get them out to you, if you need help buying or finding used gear, tell me what you want your sizes and budget, I am an eBay master and have a knack for getting the best deals(plus I belong to several different companies newsletters and flyers and am always looking to see what sales or promos are going on).

Good luck!

Luckily (or unluckily I suppose) I live in a very flat area. The only hills I have around here are interstate overpasses. So, should I do intervals both days (Sat/Sun) or I day of intervals, I day of distance...?
2014-03-20 10:21 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Web I would do 1 distance and 1 speed and I would try not to do them back to back days. That might be too hard on the body.

I got good news today. Its subject to change but looks like depending on the wave I am in but I should have plenty of time to finish ITU Chicago. I might be last but I should finish.

Running coming along. Weight is not bad but I wish it was better.

Reminds me I need to do a LSD this weekend.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/3-Ways-to-Burn-Fat-Effective...

2014-03-20 12:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by chirunner134

Web I would do 1 distance and 1 speed and I would try not to do them back to back days. That might be too hard on the body.

That's what I was thinking... but I really don't have the time to spread it out any more than I have. Here's my full schedule (not just biking). Bear in mind that I work Sun-Thur 0800-1630 and my wife works opposite shifts which prevents some AM workouts.

Sun: 0430-0600: Bike. After 2100: Walk/Run (after 3 youngest kiddos in bed)
Mon: 0630-0700: Swim @ Y. After 2100: Strength Train (Bowflex/Calisthenics)
Tue: After 2100: Walk/Run (Limited to .4mi lap around the block as wife is at work)
Wed: After 2100: Strength Train - (optional rest day)
Thu: 0430-0530: Walk/Run. After 1800-1900: Group Ride
Fri: AM (varies) Swim @ Y (if have extra time will hit leg machines, elliptical, etc). After 2100: Strength Train
Sat: 0430-0800: Bike - (optional rest day)

This is the best schedule we could come up considering work schedules, 4 kids, and allowing both of us time to train. My lovely wife is wanting to run a Sprint in October and is working her butt off.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-03-20 12:32 PM
2014-03-20 12:37 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
I guess the question to ask is do you feel comfortable with the distance? If you feel you can go the distance with no issue and can only get 1 bike workout a week in, then do intervals and increase your speed. If you are shaky on even finishing the distance (which if memories serves me right you said you weren't worried about finishing the bike but gaining more time in the transition) then focus on getting the distance done. The long and short is if you can only get 1 workout in then make it your weak spot either distance or speed. Then if the stars align and you get a second one in then you do the opposite.
2014-03-20 2:26 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Web I understand. I would do speed or endurance but not both if you have to do them back to back. You maybe ok but you are running the risk of injury if you try to do 2 stressful workouts next to each other like that.

2014-03-21 2:19 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Not posting to my fitness today.
There was a work event today where there were tons of carby breakfast stuff!

Had about 3-4 mini muffins..... shoot me now.

was all downhill from there.
2014-03-22 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4916495

User image

3 miles today - easy pace.

Diet is back on track
2014-03-22 10:19 PM
in reply to: #4969426

User image

Quickie update:

I missed my Tues run, but made Thurs. I didn't push it like Sunday, but still good.

Wasn't able to make the group ride Thurs evening as we had Parent/Teacher conferences at 2 schools. I did manage a ride today. 13 miles with a 30+mph wind. That SUCKED! HEHE...

The bright spot this week were my swims. I already posted Monday. Yesterday, I spent my normal 30 mins in the pool.... 50, 100 x4, 150, 100, 50 for a total of 750. Of course, swimming ended up being my low spot too. I have a week (2 sessions) until they drain the pool. It'll be down for 2 weeks or more. Sucks.
2014-03-23 6:17 AM

User image

Good morning!

A couple of questions (I know nothing about bikes/wetsuits)

1. How often to do you degrease a bike chain? I watched some youtube videos on how to do it. Tips are appreciated!

2. How do you store your wetsuit without it taking up too much space or damaging it.

Going for a bike ride and then to try out my wetsuit. I have my tri in 3 weeks and have never swam in one before (a little nervous). I know I shouldn't do this but I am heading out to a local lake by myself to do this. I plan on staying in the shallow water and staying close to shore where I can always stand. It's a swim beach that tri groups use so I am hoping there will be a couple other crazy people like me out there.

Wish me luck :-)
2014-03-23 7:50 PM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by luvschips Good morning! A couple of questions (I know nothing about bikes/wetsuits) 1. How often to do you degrease a bike chain? I watched some youtube videos on how to do it. Tips are appreciated! 2. How do you store your wetsuit without it taking up too much space or damaging it. Going for a bike ride and then to try out my wetsuit. I have my tri in 3 weeks and have never swam in one before (a little nervous). I know I shouldn't do this but I am heading out to a local lake by myself to do this. I plan on staying in the shallow water and staying close to shore where I can always stand. It's a swim beach that tri groups use so I am hoping there will be a couple other crazy people like me out there. Wish me luck :-)

LUCK!!!

The only thing I am qualified to answer here is wetsuit storage. Folded, not crushed, but folded flat and stored in a cool dry place. Make sure it is clean and dry before storing. If you hang it, it will stretch. I have mine folded in a drawer. I am getting ready to take it out soon for its first voyage of the year soon.

2014-03-23 9:50 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Good Luck Chips - I cannot comment on the wetsuits - I don't own one and am not sure I will be getting one.....

today
13 miles on the stationary bike in 45 min.
17MPH pace - looking for a little more, but will test it outside once it warms up (blizzard warning for Tuesday - WTF~!!!!)....
Tomorrow I have a short run planned.

Ok Question.
I am trying to figure out what I should finish this Tri in -
Its a spring 440M swim, 12.5 Mi bike, then a 5K.

So on the swim.
I have really no idea - I swim a 50 in about 1:05. 100 in about 2:10 and haven't gotten a solid time on a 200 yet.
(still working up to the distance).

On the bike Im thinking 17MPH is solid - course is flat. so right around 45 min.

Then the 5K. I can finish a 5K in approx. 31 min and an easier pace for me is 12 min miles - so somewhere between 31-36 mins.

assuming there is not injury/crash/break.

15 min in the water including transition
45 min on bike
then the full 36 min on the run
Add in a couple minutes for the Bike/Run transition is 1:40 a good estimate for time?

or is 36 min WAY too aggressive given Ill be approximately an hour into the race beginning the 5K?
Im just looking to finish, but I need to set an internal expectation.
2014-03-24 7:57 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by Clarkey77 Good Luck Chips - I cannot comment on the wetsuits - I don't own one and am not sure I will be getting one..... today 13 miles on the stationary bike in 45 min. 17MPH pace - looking for a little more, but will test it outside once it warms up (blizzard warning for Tuesday - WTF~!!!!).... Tomorrow I have a short run planned. Ok Question. I am trying to figure out what I should finish this Tri in - Its a spring 440M swim, 12.5 Mi bike, then a 5K. So on the swim. I have really no idea - I swim a 50 in about 1:05. 100 in about 2:10 and haven't gotten a solid time on a 200 yet. (still working up to the distance). On the bike Im thinking 17MPH is solid - course is flat. so right around 45 min. Then the 5K. I can finish a 5K in approx. 31 min and an easier pace for me is 12 min miles - so somewhere between 31-36 mins. assuming there is not injury/crash/break. 15 min in the water including transition 45 min on bike then the full 36 min on the run Add in a couple minutes for the Bike/Run transition is 1:40 a good estimate for time? or is 36 min WAY too aggressive given Ill be approximately an hour into the race beginning the 5K? Im just looking to finish, but I need to set an internal expectation.

I am guessing from your above information this is your first tri.  So, set a goal of finishing the race.  How far is the water from transition?  I would say an 1:40 time is an aggressive goal if you have a race coming up shortly and have not completed the 440M swim yet.  But, you will also be amazed on how much quicker you might be when you have other people around you.  Have you done any brick training?  I haven't raced in a few years because of my new job taking more of my time than expected, but I didn't work on brick works enough, and struggled going from bike to run.  I think on the sprint races or shorter races the brick work out is more important than the longer distances.  I have done sprints and 70.3 with nothing in between for distances.  I was better for the 70.3 coming off of the bike than I was for the sprint.

2014-03-24 8:12 AM

User image

Clarkey - I can only dream of riding a bike 17 mph. I did a "pre" race yesterday and was pedaling my fastest after my swim and it was 14.9 mph. Then I went online and checked last years results with my swim time, bike, and run time and figured where I would place. It looks like I will be at the bottom of the pack but that is ok :-)

After 12 mile run on saturday and swim/bike yesterday I am pretty worn out. Gonna use today as a rest day and see if I can stay on track with eating.
Swimming in a wetsuit is sure different and I felt pretty bad after completing 750 yrds (my tri has a 500m swim). Only three weeks away!

Thanks Robin on the folding tip! I have been afraid to do it (it's been laying on the guest bed). Let me know what you think of the swimming with it - it sure is a pain getting into/out of!

Ok everyone! Let's all have a fantastic Monday and may you accomplish all your goals today that you have set and that you have lot's of fun today too!

Donna
2014-03-24 8:21 AM

User image

Originally posted by Clarkey77

assuming there is not injury/crash/break.

15 min in the water including transition
45 min on bike
then the full 36 min on the run
Add in a couple minutes for the Bike/Run transition is 1:40 a good estimate for time?

or is 36 min WAY too aggressive given Ill be approximately an hour into the race beginning the 5K?
Im just looking to finish, but I need to set an internal expectation.

That sounds (to my inexperienced ear) to be a good goal to shoot for. I've been going over this same thing in my head because I've got a 440M/12Mi/5K coming up myself. In going over a few videos, it seems that the first transition is usually longer than the second.

I managed a pair of rides this weekend. I was actually off Sunday because the boss is out of town, making me boss this week, so I have to work Mon-Fri. The only blessing here is that since the kids are on spring break, I don't have to worry about waking them in the morning, and I can get extra stuff done .

Saturday I went 13.4 miles on the bike. I ended with a nasty headwind killed my speed and I only averaged 12.8mph
Sunday I went 11.8 miles on the bike. same headwind, but I started off going into the wind (rode from a different start point) and avg'd 12.3mph. I was riding along fields, so there was NO windbreak at all, lol! Same conditions for the tri in May tho... At times I was riding 36/13 and almost having to get off and walk... It took me 37 minutes to go the 5.9mi to the turnaround, and only 20 mins to come back... I'm not sure if I need to laugh or cry about that one. I also ran my 1K last night in 6:57. This is week 6/8 of the c25k, and this week is about speed. I start adding on the distance next week. And of course, I'll be repeating these 3 weeks to I end up on the day I run.

Also got my 30mins in the pool this morning. 700yds total and it really didn't feel good... . I went 50, 100, 100 (may have been 150, not sure), 150, 100x3. I finished the 450yds (tri distance) in about 18mins. I also tried to put together a couple more 150's and just couldn't do it. I had a few extra minutes, so I went upstairs and worked legs (can't do that at home)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28423 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100921 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16570 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30465 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?