Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-07-18 10:52 AM
in reply to: #890951

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
Kat , Christine, Rich, well everyone, you are all inspiring me. If you don't recall, I was/am concerned about gaining weight now that carbs are back in my diet. All of this new exercise since May has made me incredibly hungry, and man can I pig out! I still eat better than I did in the beginning in the year, but my weight loss has come to a screetching halt, and in fact I've gained 5. *gulp* It doesn't help when the team I train with for this cause ends up wanting to all go get a burger after our heavy workout. Example: We swam almost 2 miles on Monday, and that practice started at 7:45pm...by the time we were done, it was almost 10pm, and then we went to get a bite! I was going to skip out on that, but ohhh the peer pressure! You must eat protein, they all said! yes yes...well, my stomach was happy but my scale yelled at me the next day. So, I think of all of you and am TRYING to make those good choices.

So what has been going on with me...I've just been downright lazy the last two days. After Monday's 3-mile run and almost 2-mile swim, I just wanetd time with my family (which I don't get enough of). My next opportunity for working out is Friday, and I will be going light since Saturday is a "practice triathlon" that we have to partake in. The entire Team Michigan is getting together in the center part of the state, and we'll be "going at our own pace" though really I want to see how well I do. It will be longer than a sprint but shorter than an oly. Since I've never raced in my life, this should be a good experience.

I have to tell you, I learned a great technique this week from our swim coach, and that is the "roll-over" technique. Obviously I have never experienced this, but I guess it's not that uncommon for someone to feel compelled to swim right up against you in the water, even if it seems as though you two are in the only area of the lake. If they just aren't giving you your space after a while, simply take your swim stride and roll over their back side! We all tried it, and it worked GREAT! Sooo, if you find yourself in that situation, just roll and move on!

On a different note, I'm glad to hear everyone is doing so well. Caru, don't get frustrated. You'll get back into the exercise swing of things before you know it!

GOOD LUCK RICH! I can't wait to hear all of the details when you return. Most importantly, please be safe. I am hearing more and more stories about freak accidents (primarily on the bike portion) in triathlons that it is starting to freak me out a little!

Ok, that's all for now. Until next time, everyone!!!

2007-07-18 11:50 AM
in reply to: #891155

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Andi!

I know about that TNT peer pressure......GREAT people and ya just want to hang out with everyone! The cycling team out here was more prone to pizza......Yikes!

Have a great practice tri in central Michigan.....the state gatherings are always a lot of fun!

With respect to training and family.... you're making the right choice....family time is important. Never think that you are making a wrong choice with that respect.

Have a GREAT weekend!

(I'll be on line through Thursday night for questions!)

Rich
2007-07-18 3:07 PM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Rich -- Remind me how long you expect the whole race to take you? Are you wearing a wetsuit?

In your normal training, do you do morning workouts and/or double-up workouts? (Workout in the morning and then workout after work.) If you so, do you find those helpful for improving faster?

I'm considering double-up types of training days to help me fit everything in.

And, last but not least, do you think big workouts (say a 90 min swim or a 4 hour bike ride) are better than several small workouts? Or should you mix them up?

Thanks!
2007-07-18 3:56 PM
in reply to: #891666

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Christine: GREAT QUESTIONS! See my responses after each question. THANKS!!!

Remind me how long you expect the whole race to take you? Less than 7 hrs. I would be deliriously happy if I was 6 hrs 3 mins

Are you wearing a wetsuit? I have been monitoring water temp from afar. USAT rules are that wetsuits can be worn up to and including 78 degrees. The temp is currently 76 degrees. It was 78 degrees and then dropped down to 72 degrees. It was 76 degrees two days ago. Above 78 degrees to 84 degrees, wetsuits are optional and racers are not award or placement eligible. This particular race, racers electing to use wetsuits will be placed in the very last wave....about 2 hours after the first wave..... I'm anticipating that the water will warm up and I will most likely not wear the wetsuit.

In your normal training, do you do morning workouts and/or double-up workouts? (Workout in the morning and then workout after work.) If you so, do you find those helpful for improving faster? I do morning workouts and evening workouts. Swim is normally in the morning with running and/or biking in the evening. Saturday's are long....Sundays are "rest" days.

I'm considering double-up types of training days to help me fit everything in.

And, last but not least, do you think big workouts (say a 90 min swim or a 4 hour bike ride) are better than several small workouts? Or should you mix them up? Definitely mix them up, but more importantly, each workout should have a definite purpose...... Is your workout for technique? Speed? Endurance? Climbing? You should focus on the purpose, not necessarily the length of the workout. Checkout the Beginner Half-Ironman Triathlon Workout Plan on this site. I think the longest training volume or most training volume was 17 hours? and that was only for 1 or 2 weeks.

GREAT questions, Christine.... PLEASE don't hestiate to ask for clarification or if I prompted more questions.

Rich
2007-07-19 7:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Thanks Rich! That's all very helpful.

In my very LIMITED experience; I can say that I swam 2 OWS and 1 race in my wetsuit and 1 OWS without it. Many people seem leary of swimming without the wetsuit, but I really liked it. You definately loose a bit of buoyancy and it may be a bit more effort to move yourself through the water without the wetsuit -- but to me it makes up for it in range of motion and not having something squeezing up around your neck.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on it. You'll do great either way!

Have a great race, Rich! May you swim like a fish, avoid every pile-up and run with ease!!!
2007-07-19 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Subject: Florida 70.3
BARB -- I am SERIOUSLY considering Florida 70.3 (half ironman) in May of 2008. I mentioned it to my husband last night and his face didn't turn purple! He just said, "Is it near fishing?" To which I immediately replied, "Yes." Of course, I have no idea. But you can bet I will find him some darn fishing!

So -- ANGELA -- If you can't find a money tree, maybe you can afford a trip to Florida??? You are SO the type that could bust-a-move at this race!

Maybe our MIAMI friends would join us as well in Disney... (It's a "lake" swim people; not even an ocean swim! Piece of cake!) I believe I can make that 1.2 mile swim. I believe I can make that 56 mile bike ride. Now the 13 mile run... that I'm not so sure of.

Anyway, I will probably make up my mind after Steelman on August 12 and will let you all know the minute I sign up...I mean, the minute I make up my mind. :-)

2007-07-19 3:30 PM

User image

Regular
Hey guys!!

Rich, I hope everything is going well this week in preparation for your adventure!Good luck this weekend. We'll all be anxiously waiting to see how it goes. I'm sure you'll do great.

Angela, I'm sure Caro and I will make it to the 25k some day, I think its would be awesome.

But for now, as Caro has said, we're game for the Florida 70.3!!

Barb, I'm sure you can find some fishing for your husband.

Guys, I think we should make a schedule of tentative races for us to meet up so that we can start planning accordingly.

Take it easy,

FR
2007-07-19 8:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Well gang! I just got back from my two hour sports massage. The massage therapist is a tri club team member, coach and is the Chi Running Master. He has his own tri training, consulting, coaching company. The goal was to workout the knots in the legs and to loosen up the legs. Some shoulder and arm work, too! When one things of a massage, you think relaxation. This was a workout in itself. But when finished, I am totally relaxed and my legs, knees, ankles are totally loosened up.

I also got some coaching tips from him. He has raced this event before. But there were three tips that you could use during the running stage.....when you are getting tired:

1) Lead with your heart...physically....think about this......when running let your heart be out front.....it opens up the chest and assists in breathing.....when one gets tired, you start slouching.

2) Also when getting tired, use a quick step short stride cadence. This takes a little practice, but I have short legs so I naturally have a short quick stride.

3) Waltz your way through the run..... 1 2 3, 1 2 3, 1 2 3!

I'll have to try this during the run this weekend and provide you with some insight!

2007-07-20 12:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: What are your training plans this weekend?
Hey gang!

What are your training plans this weekend? (Let's get busy!!!!)

Rich
2007-07-20 8:50 AM
in reply to: #893844

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Cyclingmaniac - 2007-07-20 12:52 AM Hey gang! What are your training plans this weekend? (Let's get busy!!!!) Rich

Hey, Rich!  I don't have a whole lot planned this weekend.  First of all, it's raining - again. Secondly, the family and I are going to see grandparents so it's going to be hard to workout.  Thirdly, my asthma has been problematic lately, so I've been reluctant to push things too hard.  I'm going to do a trainer bike ride and my abs workout today before heading out, and I may get a run in Saturday morning, but that's about it.  I'm planning on picking up the pace next week, though! I'm optimistic that my schedule and the weather will be more cooperative!

Sounds like you got some great tips from your masseuse! I am so excited for you and your race this weekend!  I'll be anxiously watching for a report and some photos!  YOU ROCK!!!!!

2007-07-20 8:52 AM
in reply to: #893844

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Well, as you know, I have that "practice tri" tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous, simply because sheer laziness has taken me over this week and I haven't done squat for exercise since Monday. UGH. Then I have that 5K run on Sunday.

I'm seriously considering the Florida HIM too. We LOVE Disneyworld and have been looking for an excuse to get back there for some time. That would be a great mother's day gift for me to be able to get the whole family down there!

Have a great weekend, everyone!!!

2007-07-20 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
I get sports massages too. They are not entirely relaxing but they are very helpful.

I didn't get to ride last night. It was pouring.

Will ride 10 mile loop tonight.
Riding the race route tomorrow -- and yes, Rich, I will ride the hill climbing out of the transition area 3 times.
Swim afterwards
Sunday -- early AM run
2007-07-20 9:04 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Ok, it's pretty much decided...I'm going to do the Florida HIM. I probably missed it before when someone mentioned that it was at Disney, but it just clicked with me this morning. I talked with Gary (my hubby) and we are all GEEKED about it. The Wildflower will have to wait (and that's not a bad thing).

So, I'll be down there in May for sure!
2007-07-20 9:13 AM
in reply to: #894081

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Much as I would like to go to Disney, I think that might be a bit of a financial stretch.  Got that whole money tree problem going.  My kiddos are still just a bit on the young side for "Rodent Land" too - we're planning on going someday, but someday is probably two more years away.  I'll talk to the hubby about it, but I'm not real optimistic.  Too bad...sounds like a fun race!
2007-07-20 10:30 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Good Morning, fellow tri friends! 

What is the date for the 70.3 in Florida?  I know it's May.  I've been invited to travel with some ladies to Mexico for Memorial day weekend.  So there might be a conflict.  This would be a toss up for me...family could travel with me to Florida and enjoy the sunshine or I take a trip with my lady friends.  I'll have to talk it over with husband.  Both sound exciting to me.  I would love to meet everyone and "race" together...a little friendly competition!  It's not so much the travelling and money as it is the time for me to train well for a HIM.  It's such a juggling act now to train for sprints.  I need to really think about it...

Plans for the weekend...My parents are celebrating 50 years of marital bliss!!!  We're having a BBQ tonight with family.  Golf on Saturday morning.  Mass, dinner and dancing on Sat. evening...150 people are expected.  Sun. Texas Ranger game...we've rented a bus to take us to and from the stadium where my dad has rented 2 suites to accomodate 30 family members...half kids under 18!  So I'm not sure I'm going to get much training in this weekend.   Alot of eating and beer drinking will be taking place.  I'm sure I'll dance some calories away on Saturday night.  I am going to try and run early on Sat./Sun, but depends on how the ole head feels!

Have a great weekend!  

2007-07-20 10:48 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
The race day is May 18th (Sunday). I've already put the word out to my TNT friends who were contimplating on doing the Wildflower with me, and they are really excited about the Florida one (mainly because it's more flat and at Disney!). We all have kids in our group, so it would end up being a week's vacation for us.

I am now officially registered. So excited!

Congrats to your parents on the 50th, what an accomplishment!

2007-07-20 1:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
That's AWESOME Andrea!

Besides the obvious concern over the 13 mile run...my other concern was that it's so early in the year...I may not get to do any OWS practices before that big swim. Swimming is prohibited in the lakes near me -- so they have to be proper OWS clinics and the first one isn't until Mother's Day.

I'll say this; if I survive and enjoy Steelman, there is a good chance I might shoot for Florida 70.3 in May 2008. And if the latter is true but I can't swing '08, there's no reason we can't get a group together for '09. People plan that far ahead in the triathlon world all of the time.

We'll have to pick Rich's brain when he gets back to see what he thinks.

Sounds like some fun weekend / training planned. Enjoy and be safe!
2007-07-20 10:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
GUYS!!!
i have been trying to keepup with whats going on...kinda....

first of all... good luck to all with the anniversaries the parties the fun stuff this weekend. As for me its the last push and books, memorize all... and get some power.... attack!!!

Proud of all your accomplishments and the jeans kat, thats the best... hahaha...seriously finding jeans that fit my body is like IMPOSSIBLE. somehow colombian/dutch genes just make some weird body mutt thing.. they are either too big on the waist or too small or have like wayyy too much butt space, not long enough legs.. its pretty sad!!!!!

ok guys ..tan tan tann...... I am registering Felipe into the FLorida 70.3 HIM 2008 as I type this....next its me!! yey . I figure, its a great way to keep me motivated through this next week.... no exercise in almost a week is seriously detrimental to my health...im not a nice person to be around with right now.. but its almost over!!! i can't wait!!!!

POWER POWER POWER!!!!!Love you all train and spend time with family and pets, while telepathically sending Rich some super powers!!!!!!( he doesn't need 'em but, hey..good thoughtS help..!!)

c.
2007-07-21 12:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Pre-Race Report from Vineman 70.3
Good Day Everyone!

I was able to sign-in on the hotel PC and give you a quick update! Temperatures are in the high 80s with not much humidity. Not a cloud in the sky! Beautifully clear.....

Was awake at 7:00 AM this morning...got a early breakfast....rode for about 45 minutes and ran for about 25 minutes just to get the legs warmed up and to remember what they need to do. Lubed the bike.

Heading over at 12:00 Noon to register and set up T2, attend a required orientation meeting and then go down to the river for a quick swim.

Somehow, we got into the only hotel in Windsor California which is where the race ends and where all the pros are being housed along with all of the USAT officials. It is pretty low-key! There are four world champions, a huge group of Aussies, and an international field that is vying for World Championship slots. (I'm sure I'll beat them....LOL!)

Going to go put the legs up and rest for 30 or so minutes..... I'll keep you posted!

Rich
2007-07-22 9:20 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Well I'm thinking of you Rich!!! Can't wait to hear the report!

After my week of sheer laziness and doing NOTHING, I made up for it this weekend. I'll keep it brief because my laptop battery is low and my bed is calling, but in a nutshell, I had a GREAT weekend!

Our "practice triathlon" went awesome. It was longer than a sprint, and I think my times were good (for me being a beginner and all). Though I didn't get times on my T1 and T2, I felt fast. So fast, in fact, that I forgot to put on my shirt and gloves in my T1! It was such a beautiful day I didn't miss either of them!!

Today was another first for me, where I raced in my first race EVER. It was a 5K, and there were 1300 registrants. Now I know what you mean by adrenaline running through your body, because I blew away my personal best by over a minute per mile, coming in at a lighting fast (for me) 9:46 minute/mile pace (30:44 total). I came in 34th in my age group and 611 overall. Ok ok, so I'm not fast, but I'm faster. A LOT faster than when I started in May (running around 15 minute miles). Running in that setting was a great experience for me. It made me focus on what I need to do, instead of focus on everything else around me. Good stuff.

I'll be posting pictures in the next few days of both the practice tri and of me in the run race if you are interested. Just click on my blog at http://energyunplugged.blogspot.com.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!
2007-07-23 12:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Vineman 70.3 Update
Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

I'll post a full race report once I obtain the race results. But, here is a narrative race report!

Wake-Up 4:00 AM (Uggggh....could have easily gone back to bed! LOL)
Out the door at 4:30 AM ....Nutrition consisted of bagel and peanut butter, 1 Ensure, 1 Banana (Had an Ensure before going to bed previous night)

Arrived at T1/Swim Course/Race Staging area at 5:30 AM.....disaster....I forgot my nutrition bottles in refrigerator at hotel.....one of my team mates who was not racing went back to hotel to get them...otherwise, I would have sratched. (Arrived back 1 1/2 hours later due to traffic.....phew).

The temperature of the water called into question as to whether wetsuits were legal in this race. 79 to 86 wetsuits are a optional and in this race you would start in the last wave 2 plus hours after the first wave. Temp of water....77 degrees.

Swim: Lined up front right away from bouys ...it was an open water start (i.e. you start in the water instead of from the beach). Found clear open water for the entire race.....I just glided....didn't push it given that it was going to be a long day.
Out of the water in 38 minutes!

T1: Slow in transition.....too many things to put on given the length of race.... gloves, skull cap (so I did get a sunburned head), race number, socks, shoes, sunglasses....stuff everything else into a T1 Bag...hand off to teammate not racing....exit T1. Seemed forever....This is a logistical thing which everyone faced in this race....so I'll be interested in seeing the average T1 times.

Bike: My goal was to average 17 mph..... The first part of the race course was technical....the added complication of a very strict referee because this was a World 70.3 Championship qualifier, meant that the draft zones were 7 meters or about 5 bike lengths with strictly enforced passing parameters (20 seconds) and blocking restrictions (rider that got passed had to drop back 7 meters within 20 seconds). Slowed some of us slower riders...... According to my bike computer I averaged 16 miles.....3 hrs. 27 minutes on the bike. Temperature was increasing high 80s by time I got off the bike at 11:30 ish.

I had a good ride overall....spun at 90 plus cadence over the hills, the technical aspect of the course was completed in 1 hr 6 minutes (a personal best), was hitting speeds of 24 on the flats in the second half of the course.....Chalk Hill was a grind......slowed me down a bit...... road overall was rough in places: launched water bottles, tubes, CO2 cartridges, plus many other bike stuff.

Had one indication that I might have some probs on the run....coming over the freeway bridge....I got out of the saddle and my inner quad muscles yelled at me.....cramping was severe, but as soon as I sat down, no problem. Should have stretched more in T2.

T2: Entry into T2 was ridiculously long path on carpet over gravel. (T2 was set up night before).... I had a cooler with my run nutrition flasks. Shoes, hat, another pair of dry socks... thank goodness for the dry socks. Had trouble untieing T2 bag from rack.
Didn't panic.....Lots of bikes in my age group in the T2 area already!

Run: Mile 1 was death....cramping of quads....almost sidelined me, but I stopped, stretched, and walked for 1/4 mile. Started running easily, brought heart rate down. Arrived at Mile 6 in 1hr 4 minutes... everything went downhill from there.....the temperature reached 95 degrees....sun was beating down.....everyone was suffering.....at one aid station they ran out of water....not good...ran out of gatorade.....not good.....ran out of flat coke....not good! Fortunately, I was carrying my 3 InfinIT nutrition flasks. Heat however was getting oppressive. I rarely do this, but I got to one aid station...7 or 8....they had a hose....I just had the volunteer open the hose on me and I stood there for a good two to three minutes........had water reapplied multiple times more during each aid station.

My watch shows that I finished at 7 hrs. 17 minutes.

Post Race: Took blood sugar: 217! Should have been in 300s after what I consumed.... Waited 15 minutes....blood sugar 157. Had something to eat immediately.....Took blood sugar about 1 hour later. Blood sugar was 93..... Yikes.... Time for a post dinner of pasta (lasagna, salad, and pizza with Hazelnut Chocolate Cake)...feeling GREAT now!

I had a 45 minute massage pre-arranged after the race at 4:00 PM ...smartest thing I did all day.....worked out the soreness with the quads, hamstrings, shoulders (from the areobars)and calves.

I think that covers it! It was a good race and the key goal of not ending up in the medical tent was acheived!

I'll post race numbers when they become official!

Rich

2007-07-23 8:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
That sounds FANTASTIC Rich!!! GREAT JOB!

Thanks for taking the time to update your adoring fans. I'm sure we were all dying to know how it went. (I couldn't wait to get into work this morning and check on you!)

Sounds like you did a great job dealing with what got thrown at you. The TRUE spirit of triathlon!

How do you feel today? What was the most fun part? How did you feel when you realized you were going to make it to the finish?
2007-07-23 8:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Rode 12 mile loop Friday night.
Swam 40 laps -- 1 hr -- Saturday.
Rode the race loop Sunday (13 miles, 52:00) and the climb out of the transition twice. 5:03 the first time. 4:23 the second time. I was pushing hard.

I plan to ride and run the race route 2x week for the next 3 weeks. See how much better I can get.

ANDREA -- Glad your practice tri was such a success! Someone suggested to me skipping gloves for the race and I'm all for it. What do your coaches think?

How was everybody else's weekend training?
2007-07-23 8:58 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Rich, I just read your post like a well written novel...engrossed.  With all the obstacles you encountered...heat, forgotten bottles, no water/gatorade at aid stations...you still pulled off a great race.  Sometimes, I feel like it's just me when I forget something I need or walk during a race.  Even being the most prepared, crazy things can happen.  Thank goodness for a great teammate to help out.  I'm excited about reading your race report.  I would also like to see if the pros had some of the same troubles.  I'm glad you're feeling well and you didn't visit the medical tent!  Super Job Rich!  YIPPEE!!! 
2007-07-23 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Vineman 70.3 - Post Race Next Day
Good Morning Everyone!

Hey Andrea! Sounds like you had a GREAT race rehearsal....hope it was fun meeting the entire Michigan TNT Team Members!

Just wanted to check in before I hit the road to drive back to Los Angeles (8 hour drive). Feeling GREAT this morning! Some shoulder, upper back soreness, but other than that feel great! No real soreness in legs....the post race massage was a GREAT help....I also applied a new product (one of the race promoters) that might have helped....it is a aspirin type topical cream. Don't know if that was responsible for no swelling or not. One of the team mates in my hotel room isn't doing well at all! (He happens to be younger and did a 5 hr. 40 minute race....AWESOME Job!...and qualified for World 70.3 Championships.....he is suffering this morning.... can barely stand or move.....two of us had to help him get up out of bed and take him into the bathroom this morning...we are thinking of tying him to the roof of the car for the ride home..teehee!)

So I'm in good shape....my biggest disappointment was the heat that kind of threw everything out the window.....BUT, as I said before, you have to listen to your body! If I had not, I clearly would have ended up in the medical tent yesterday instead of being able to move.

If you all don't mind, I'm designating today as a REST Day!

Have a Good Day Everyone!

Rich
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46