BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2008-01-19 8:02 PM
in reply to: #1165940

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Subject: RE: medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS
crea0029 - 2008-01-19 7:53 PM

I'm back in frozen MN...it is quite miserable

Or, I suppose, you could roll down a hill like this. (But I'm not sure how you'd record it in your training log.)

2008-01-20 9:01 AM
in reply to: #1088860

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

Hi--I'm Eric and I'm addicted to triathlons.....it's been 12 hrs since my last workout.

Even with a 70 min ride yesterday morning...I still felt the need to climb on the trainer for 90 mins last night and do speed intervals.  What's even more sick is that I'm staring at the trainer right now and thinking about another short ride.

What's everyone up to today?  Our exciting Winter Storm 08 version 2.0 proved to be even more anti-climactic.  We had snow for about 6 hrs yesterday but it came down slow enough that it was melting about as fast as it came down.  Woke up this morning to beautiful sunny, clear skies and just a few patches of snow in the yard.  Off to a hockey game this afternoon with all of the children and my tri club.  Have a great day!

2008-01-20 11:25 AM
in reply to: #1166229

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Eric, I know exactly what you are talking about.  Yesterday was my rest day and I almost went to the rec center on campus anyways because I felt I needed to.  I get to go swimming today and I am SO EXCITED.  I also have to buy textbooks and hopefully watch the Packers lose   I also have to work on my workout schedule for the rest of the month with school starting and figure out how much money I have between paying for school, the apt, and eating.  It is a balmy -11 F here, but sunny so it looks nice...boy winter sucks!!!

Have a good day everyone...I'll check back later and let everyone know how the swim went!! 

2008-01-20 1:07 PM
in reply to: #1166229

User image

Champion
Taser-World
medic0020 - 2008-01-20 10:01 AM

Hi--I'm Eric and I'm addicted to triathlons.....it's been 12 hrs since my last workout.

Even with a 70 min ride yesterday morning...I still felt the need to climb on the trainer for 90 mins last night and do speed intervals. What's even more sick is that I'm staring at the trainer right now and thinking about another short ride.

What's everyone up to today? Our exciting Winter Storm 08 version 2.0 proved to be even more anti-climactic. We had snow for about 6 hrs yesterday but it came down slow enough that it was melting about as fast as it came down. Woke up this morning to beautiful sunny, clear skies and just a few patches of snow in the yard. Off to a hockey game this afternoon with all of the children and my tri club. Have a great day!

Hi -- I'm Dee and I'm allergic to work, but I have to do it anyway.

Yep, that's what I'm doing today. Although, as you can see, I'm sneaking in a peek at BT.

Yesterday started as rain. Around noon, it changed over to snow. It stuck on grassy areas and light colored sufaces, but fortunately, not on the dark roads.

Supposedly, there was black ice this morning. However, I dealt with that by not going anywhere. (The gym is closed on Sunday mornings, anyway.)

And now.... back to work. I think I need an antihistamine for that.... :P

Wait! I ALMOST forgot your daily Glitter pill! (It's as good as a multi-vitamin, right?)

2008-01-20 6:11 PM
in reply to: #1166408

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Had my first trail run yesterday...  Run great, swimming tough to fit in...  I am off to stuff in a last hour for the January Challenge...   More to come later...

Edited by etknowles 2008-01-20 6:23 PM

(Binder Cover-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Binder Cover-1.jpg (88KB - 30 downloads)
2008-01-20 7:42 PM
in reply to: #1166726

User image

Champion
Taser-World
etknowles - 2008-01-20 7:11 PM

Had my first trail run yesterday... Run great, swimming tough to fit in... I am off to stuff in a last hour for the January Challenge... More to come later...

Wow! Nice scenery!

You'll be happy to hear that 1for1 has put in a request for a RUN challenge next month.

Beth and I are discussing it right now, in fact. We're thinking of having teams by geographic location - East, West, Central and ROW (Rest of World).

2008-01-20 8:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi - my name is Amy I'm also addicted to triathlons - I'm now on the 3 step program Swim-Bike-Run...

Sorry I have been missing in action the past couple of days. I was supposed to take up the slack for Julie being gone and I totally let everyone down. I was really down yesterday with a hurting achilles, a clogged ear, and the feeling that I was getting a bug that would have me out of comission for a week, so I did nothing but lay around and drink plenty of fluids, take airborne,advil and get my races lined out for 2008.

Thanks for all the nice comments on my son - as we all are that have children, I am very proud of him. Anyone that doesn't have children yet or children that are very young - you have "so much" to look forward to and enjoy with your children, cherish each and every moment, it is a very special time.

I have taken it easy today also and I am starting to feel better, my achilles is much better, my ear is still an issue, but the buggy feeling is gone. We really have to watch when we are pushing ourselves with work, family, and workouts + workouts in extreme cold conditions. Like Emerson said; you have to add recovery days in and take them...

I apprecitate everyone checking in on me and giving me inspirations...

I will be checking in on everyone tomorrow. Have a great workout week!!!! And remember to take RECOVERY DAYS!
2008-01-20 8:50 PM
in reply to: #1166907

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Dee, it will be easier for me to do a running challenge but I NEED the swimming one more.  The issue is time.  For running, I just step out my front door on weekdays and return home (I have a home office).  Swimming includes, driving, changing, etc. and takes much more time.  Time is my enemy...  Also, good luck on work.  At least next week you should only have four days of it.

Amy, I would defiantly look over the trail ahead of time.  In AZ we have these things called the summer monsoons and the open land is very rutted and rocky.  The "managed trails" in the parks are wide and have sand or gravel on them.  The true open land trails are a challenge.  Now, if you don't mind running the whole race looking down, that may not make a difference.  I love running outside so I like to look around.  Thus, as what is in my log, I took to a road through the wilderness.  It was much easier just to follow a tire track.

Pam, I understand your frustration with all the cold and snow getting in the way.  That is why I no longer live in the Mid-west.   California Amy, Julie and I all have a real pass on weather.  Dee's is pretty good in NC but can be wet.  We don't have much wet in AZ.

Eric, yes we all love being tr-athletes.  It is just that life gets in the way sometimes.

Amy, YES TAKE THAT DAY OFF!!!!!

Mike, I am not sure how mixing heaving lifting with endurance training but clearly some things don't mix well.  Ask an expert!  Don't risk injuring yourself by mixing the wrong training.  When you "stress" your muscles you injure them and then they repair stronger on your recovery day.  Lifting and then running may not mix well at your level.  Ask someone...

Julie, I have my flights, etc. for the Big Sur Marathon in April.  I will be in Carmel on the 26th and 27th.  It would be a gas to cross paths before or after the marathon. 

Good to catch up with everyone.  Busy weekend, my 87 year old mom is here for a visit.

Since I rubbed in the weather, I am adding two photos from sunny AZ...

Peg relishing the snow and a shot after a storm.  We were iced in for a whole day...

Edited by etknowles 2008-01-20 8:53 PM

(IMG_0063.jpg)

(IMG_0080.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0063.jpg (94KB - 28 downloads)
IMG_0080.jpg (89KB - 32 downloads)
2008-01-20 10:40 PM
in reply to: #1167112

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Emerson I LOVE the pictures!!!  They are great!!  Everyone take care...I don't want lots of sick people   Well I am off to prepare for Black Tuesday (ie..the first day back to school).  Take it easy everyone!!
2008-01-21 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Emerson - great pictures! Peg looks like a happy person, she's lucky to have you.
I took my second day off yesterday and I think the achilles is Aok... I will train smarter this week.

I hope everyone gets a good start to the week today or tomorrow if your off for MLK day.

Dee - thanks sooo much for the well wishes and the glitter.

Pam - you will probably feel better getting back in the groove of things, even though I know you will be busy, I like being busy it makes me structure my life better. Good luck Tuesday!

HAPPY MONDAY GROUP!!!!

Amy in IN
2008-01-21 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

Ok, how sad is it that Emerson got more bad weather in Arizona than we did here in NC?  Schedule says 70 min bike ride today plus lifting.  Kids are out of school and I'm spending some time with them so I think the lifting is definitely out. I had hoped to get in a swim today to make up for lost time last week, but priorities are priorities. 

Have a great Monday!

2008-01-21 11:58 AM
in reply to: #1167896

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Eric,

Thanks for the tip on the photos in the training log... I did my first.  This will add more fun to the logs... EK

2008-01-21 12:00 PM
in reply to: #1167896

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
medic0020 - 2008-01-21 10:39 AM

Ok, how sad is it that Emerson got more bad weather in Arizona than we did here in NC?  Schedule says 70 min bike ride today plus lifting.  Kids are out of school and I'm spending some time with them so I think the lifting is definitely out. I had hoped to get in a swim today to make up for lost time last week, but priorities are priorities. 

Have a great Monday!

Eric,  just for the record.  That was not last week.  It is just to buffer the blow on all my teasing on the "perfect" AZ weather.  Sometimes we get snowed on as well.  I have a bunch like that with snow on the cactus.   Taking an easy week in prep for a long run on Friday...

2008-01-21 6:22 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Well good news!!  My bike was picked up from the shop in GB at around 2 this afternoon...it is on the way to MN.  I am very excited.  The trainer should arrive tomorrow and I will get to play with it.  Tomorrow is the first day of class...how exciting!!! 
2008-01-21 7:20 PM
in reply to: #1168662

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Pam - Great news on the bike - and the trainer! Have fun!

Emerson - Loved the pics - especially the one of the car with snow on the windshield! Good job of getting photos in your blog. Pretty soon, you'll be doing GLITTER. LOL

Eric - Hope you had fun with the kids.

OK, I think I'm caught up now.

Look! It's a school of fish! (I'm on a Swim Team for this month's challenge. What did you expect? LOL)

Edited by D001 2008-01-21 7:21 PM
2008-01-21 10:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Dee,  I will never take your place as the queen of glitter -- well or as a king of glitter.  I pale compared to your fun posts.  But, learning how to post pictures is fun.  I will do more of that...

Good night everyone... The markets will open again tomorrow morning and it does not look pretty...

2008-01-22 9:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I will play my workout by ear so to speak... I'm still having ear problem and balance, and just worn out. I slept yesterday evening and all of last night, I didn't have any energy. I'm working a little today, but being very careful not to get myself to worn out.

My legs are chomping at the bit to run, but my ear isn't, I will try to do 2 miles outside later today when it warms up, well gets to 35.
Sorry about not getting to everyones logs to check them out... I WILL BE BACK SOON

Have a great Tuesday!!!!!

Amy IN

2008-01-22 11:53 AM
in reply to: #1169375

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

amy mutz - 2008-01-22 7:29 AM I will play my workout by ear so to speak... I'm still having ear problem and balance, and just worn out. I slept yesterday evening and all of last night, I didn't have any energy. I'm working a little today, but being very careful not to get myself to worn out. My legs are chomping at the bit to run, but my ear isn't, I will try to do 2 miles outside later today when it warms up, well gets to 35. Sorry about not getting to everyones logs to check them out... I WILL BE BACK SOON Have a great Tuesday!!!!! Amy IN

feel better girl...you deserve a little break! I will try and take up for yoU! do not over do and drink lots of fluids and get your rest...and you will be feeling better soon!

2008-01-22 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

Well...no workout yesterday...just family time instead. Gotta do that occasionally to keep the peace so I can have workout time too. Although I want to strangle my children.  They have gotten to be way too sneaky lately.  We take the direct tv card out of the middle child's tv at night. She's the only one with a tv in her room and she tends to watch it at night since her room is upstairs and ours is downstairs.  Sometime yesterday, one of the little sneaks stole the card of the top of the refridgerator. Now, none of them claim to know where it is or even who took it.   We tried a few sneaky parent tricks to get one of the three to rat out the others, but everyone has clammed up this time.  May make for an interesting week on the nights I'm home!

Got my masters swim in this am.  Need to run this afternoon as well.  Have a great almost-sort of-kind of feels like a--Monday.

2008-01-22 1:21 PM
in reply to: #1169899

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
medic0020 - 2008-01-22 11:02 AM

Well...no workout yesterday...just family time instead. Gotta do that occasionally to keep the peace so I can have workout time too. Although I want to strangle my children.  They have gotten to be way too sneaky lately.  We take the direct tv card out of the middle child's tv at night. She's the only one with a tv in her room and she tends to watch it at night since her room is upstairs and ours is downstairs.  Sometime yesterday, one of the little sneaks stole the card of the top of the refridgerator. Now, none of them claim to know where it is or even who took it.   We tried a few sneaky parent tricks to get one of the three to rat out the others, but everyone has clammed up this time.  May make for an interesting week on the nights I'm home!

Got my masters swim in this am.  Need to run this afternoon as well.  Have a great almost-sort of-kind of feels like a--Monday.

i remember something like that when I was growing up.....and I would never tell! ;o)

guess you are going to have to find a different hiding spot! and start taking priveledges away until someone fesses up! Are you sure you put it there....I have blamed my daughter for things and then later found it right where I put it.! doh!

Hope you have not had to cut any poor souls out of cars lately...have a great day! and get that work out in!

2008-01-22 1:44 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Sorry that I have been so lame on posting...Thanks to all of you and your great "inspire me" it has helped me stay on track!

Saturday was supposed to be one of my first races...since joining BT...I went away this past weekend for a race. I was supposed to run with a friend but he ended up having a family crisis...his oldest ran away!! (tame compared to the missing card Eric ;o)) and he could not get away! so, I ran the race without a biker! I was not ready physically or mentally to do both! I ran 6 miles cross country and we are talking some steep inclines and rocky and rutted trail...all of which I SUCK AT! I did finish and not last...but almost last. hehe!! I truly thought that I was going to die out there! I much prefer my flat paved trail running! but knew this was good for me! My daughter was the fifth woman to cross the line....she BOOKED IT! she was running for my husband who biked...he had a flat, but after a near bad wreck and fixing the flat...he picked off many of the riders who had passed him and they ended up with a 7th place finish! my family rocks! many of my old racing buddies made it to the podium and a few won thier class! was a great weekend! with fabulous weather in the mid 60's and not a cloud in the sky!

Saturday PM - After the race we returned to our room and could not stand seeing our new bikes resting along the hotel wall....so, we decided to do a short flat ride...so we put in 16 miles our first day with an average speed of 14.9 and max of 21....

Sunday AM...woke up ate a hearty breakfast...and then went for a long hilly ride...for a total of 30 miles....average speed of 14+ and max of 35...woo hoo love those downhills! Went back to see the Charger game and was disappointed to see them get beat by the Patriots! Chargers played well though!

Monday AM was another ride with a group of friends...we rode pretty casually as one of us was on a mtn bike....he's an animal...but was still hard to keep up with us on our road bikes! We rode another 25 miles and had an average speed of 16.9...max says 60 so not sure what the heck happened...because I know even when I was racing mtn bikes daily I could not reach that type of speed even for a moment! hehe!

I have been keeping up with you all and would like to be the first to say that I am very proud of each and every one of your accomplishments! everyone has seemed to stick with thier training schedules and are at least getting some type of work out in!

BTW -Thanks to all of you who return the inspires! it truly does help me to stay grounded and to continue to work hard at reaching my goals! so thank you...you have already helped me to lose and maintain 15 lbs! so THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I will try and be better at posting here! I promise!

2008-01-22 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Julie--sounds like you've had a heck of a weekend. That sounds like a brutal race, but you stuck it out.  That's what really counts. I'm learning more and more how beneficial those tough days are and how much they prepare you for the ups and downs of a triathlon.  Congrats on finishing strong!
2008-01-22 4:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
Great job, Julie. I am glad you are back. Now get on that computer and sign up for the Spring Sprint!!

2008-01-22 6:38 PM
in reply to: #1170009

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Welcome back, Julie!

Wow! Sounds like you had a BUSY, but GREAT, weekend!

Congratulations on the race. You FINISHED it, and that's a good thing!

Did your friend locate his runaway child yet?

We got a little snow this weekend, but not enough to make one of these:

Hot Comments

Edited by D001 2008-01-22 6:39 PM
2008-01-22 6:59 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Holy crap my legs and knees are fried now.  Ran for 45:00 and wasn't happy.  Crappy run and just couldn't keep my hr down. Part of the problem is that I think I overheat at that Y due to no fans.  I do much better in the gym at work if I'm on the treadmill.  Got frustrated with that so I bailed.  5:00 transition and then 1:40 on the bike.  I did an endurance spin with hr around 120 until class started and then did a 65:00 hill class.  4x12:00 hills, the first 3 moderate and the last hard.  I'll feel that in the morning.  Off to work tonight...hopefully the temp won't drop.   We normally run 25 wrecks in an average day. We had 19 in 90 mins this am during rush hour due to black ice on the east side of the county. No major injuries, just a lot of slip slidin' away....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  

of 73