BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-04-09 8:26 AM
in reply to: #1325010

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-FULL-CANDACE=IRONWOMAN!!!!
Nice tires (or "tyres" as they say). That reminds me that I need to get new tires for my road bike. I know nothing about tires. Who has some recommendations?

2008-04-09 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1325603

User image

DC
pshorty - 2008-04-09 9:26 AM

Nice tires (or "tyres" as they say). That reminds me that I need to get new tires for my road bike. I know nothing about tires. Who has some recommendations?

I know nothing. Bill's the bike geek.
Our tri club swim training sess yesterday was observed by a photographer for the school newspaper, and there are THREE pictures of me in today's edition!! Eke.
Of course he caught me with bad form on the only picture on the online edition...but if anyone is interested..
http://media.www.diamondbackonline.com/media/storage/paper873/news/...
I'm famous!!
2008-04-09 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1325603

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

pshorty - 2008-04-09 8:26 AM Nice tires (or "tyres" as they say). That reminds me that I need to get new tires for my road bike. I know nothing about tires. Who has some recommendations?

I've got a century ride this Saturday, and I'll post a gear review for them then.  Granted, it will say nothing about the longevity of them, but I'll let you know how they ride.  I've got a meeting to go to right now, but I'll dig around and look for some tires/tyres later today and post some stuff.

2008-04-09 8:59 AM
in reply to: #1325629

User image

Regular
gracetheterp - 2008-04-09 9:34 AM

pshorty - 2008-04-09 9:26 AM

I know nothing. Bill's the bike geek.
Our tri club swim training sess yesterday was observed by a photographer for the school newspaper, and there are THREE pictures of me in today's edition!! Eke.
Of course he caught me with bad form on the only picture on the online edition...but if anyone is interested..
http://media.www.diamondbackonline.com/media/storage/paper873/news/...
I'm famous!!

LOOK AT YOU!! (I didn't see any bad form...)
2008-04-09 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1325654

User image

Regular
sesh - 2008-04-09 9:42 AM

pshorty - 2008-04-09 8:26 AM Nice tires (or "tyres" as they say). That reminds me that I need to get new tires for my road bike. I know nothing about tires. Who has some recommendations?

I've got a century ride this Saturday, and I'll post a gear review for them then.  Granted, it will say nothing about the longevity of them, but I'll let you know how they ride.  I've got a meeting to go to right now, but I'll dig around and look for some tires/tyres later today and post some stuff.

and I will recommend you a CD:

YEASAYER: ALL HOUR CYMBALS

I stand by it. Excellent running CD.
2008-04-09 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1090141

User image

DC
Bahhh I just saw the other pictures. One my face is only half out of the water so whatever, the third one I have this craaazy look on my face and I'm clearly in the middle of saying something ridiculous. I would.

2008-04-09 2:35 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Vittoria Rubino Pro:  120 tpi, 230g

Hutchinson Fusion 2:  127 tpi, 230g

Michelin Pro 2 Race Road:  127 tpi, 220g

There's three tires from brands you find a lot.  If you search on qbike.com, all are in between 35-40 bucks.  The Vittoria Zaffiro Pros I had were holding up really well, but I wanted something with a little less rolling resistance (and cool red stripes).  More of a training/race mix than just a primarily training tire.  I decided to stick with the brand.

2008-04-09 11:34 PM

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
Hey Guys - Sorry I have been MIA. I took a vacation last week and went camping. It felt great to go on some hikes and not feel guilty that I wasn't training.

Paul, cute dog photos! I like the beagle. And sorry about Shorty. I will be so sad when my doggies go.

Nice red tires Bill. They do look really fast. Have a great ride this weekend!

Grace, nice photo and press. I wonder if that will land you the reality spot.

Now after 2 weeks of being a slug, I am starting to run again and am trying to decide if I should do a half marithon or a 10K in 4 weeks. I slightly want to do the longer distance and redeem the fact that I walked the majority of the time in my last race. But part of me wants to just do something easier and fun - and I could really work on some speed too.

Well I hope you all are gearing up for a good weekend!
2008-04-10 7:02 AM
in reply to: #1327824

User image

DC
wyndswept - 2008-04-10 12:34 AM

Hey Guys - Sorry I have been MIA. I took a vacation last week and went camping. It felt great to go on some hikes and not feel guilty that I wasn't training.

Paul, cute dog photos! I like the beagle. And sorry about Shorty. I will be so sad when my doggies go.

Nice red tires Bill. They do look really fast. Have a great ride this weekend!

Grace, nice photo and press. I wonder if that will land you the reality spot.

Now after 2 weeks of being a slug, I am starting to run again and am trying to decide if I should do a half marithon or a 10K in 4 weeks. I slightly want to do the longer distance and redeem the fact that I walked the majority of the time in my last race. But part of me wants to just do something easier and fun - and I could really work on some speed too.

I really can't wait for the day I can take 2 weeks off training and then contemplate a half mary
2008-04-10 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1327824

User image

Regular
wyndswept - 2008-04-10 12:34 AM

It's supposed to snow here. What the frick!?!?!?

(btw, thanks for you kind words about my short dog).

Edited by pshorty 2008-04-10 10:05 AM
2008-04-10 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Portland

2008-04-10 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Portland

Sorry about the blank post- I keep forgetting I can't post in Safari...

Anyway, I wrote a novel about 1/2 marathons for you Candace- I would recommend that distance! especially if you have already run a 10 miler any time at all recently and can get back up to that distance easily ("easily" i suppose being up to interpretation :-) ) Do you have a race in mind? there's a great women's only 1/2 (See Jane Run) up in the Bay Area that I am going to do at the end of May. but i am not sure what's going on around so cal. in the 1/2 category.

Happy thursday everyone!

2008-04-10 1:10 PM

User image

DC
Weeeird- I only use Safari. Love my Mac

Paul- it is 72 and sunny here. Absolutely perfect weather- it is coming! Don't worry
2008-04-10 2:44 PM
in reply to: #1328962

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

gracetheterp - 2008-04-10 1:10 PM Weeeird- I only use Safari. Love my Mac Paul- it is 72 and sunny here. Absolutely perfect weather- it is coming! Don't worry

86 degrees here.  In early April.  I'm already scared at what it's going to be in July and August.

2008-04-10 3:57 PM
in reply to: #1328628

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
kerryleigh5 - 2008-04-10 9:07 AM

Anyway, I wrote a novel about 1/2 marathons for you Candace- I would recommend that distance! especially if you have already run a 10 miler any time at all recently and can get back up to that distance easily ("easily" i suppose being up to interpretation :-) ) Do you have a race in mind? there's a great women's only 1/2 (See Jane Run) up in the Bay Area that I am going to do at the end of May. but i am not sure what's going on around so cal. in the 1/2 category.

Happy thursday everyone!

I am going to do the Run through Redlands race. http://www.redlands-events.com/RTR1.htm
I am just not sure what distance. You should come east for it. It is a nice race and not too expensive.
2008-04-10 3:59 PM
in reply to: #1327944

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
gracetheterp - 2008-04-10 5:02 AM

I really can't wait for the day I can take 2 weeks off training and then contemplate a half mary

Believe me, this does not come naturally. I worked really really hard to get to this point!

2008-04-10 11:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Portland
2008-04-10 11:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Portland

omg i did it again. (for some reason whenever i post in safari it does that- let's me type the whole thing and when i hit submit shows up blank... and i've got the latest safari on here so i am not sure what's up with that. i HEART my mac too though grace!)

candance, i would totally have come out for that race- i love cheap races! but i am going to be in DC that weekend.  but you should do the 1/2!

i went to a "yoga for runners" class tonight, and it was HARDCORE- we did 54 sun salutations in a row... any other yogis in the group? i will be lucky if i can lift my arms over my head tomorrow- probably the equivilant of 150 pushups in there.. yikes.

2008-04-10 11:34 PM
in reply to: #1330143

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
kerryleigh5 - 2008-04-10 11:17 PM

omg i did it again. (for some reason whenever i post in safari it does that- let's me type the whole thing and when i hit submit shows up blank... and i've got the latest safari on here so i am not sure what's up with that. i HEART my mac too though grace!)

candance, i would totally have come out for that race- i love cheap races! but i am going to be in DC that weekend.  but you should do the 1/2!

i went to a "yoga for runners" class tonight, and it was HARDCORE- we did 54 sun salutations in a row... any other yogis in the group? i will be lucky if i can lift my arms over my head tomorrow- probably the equivilant of 150 pushups in there.. yikes.

Yow!!  I did yoga for a while but had to substitute swimming at the time of day the yoga class is.  I still tivo the Namaste Yoga series on FitTV and do that sometimes.  But 54???  Whew!

2008-04-11 7:19 AM
in reply to: #1330143

User image

DC
kerryleigh5 - 2008-04-11 12:17 AM

Yay DC!! Are you coming for work? Washington Runners Report has a good list of races if you're trying to find one in DC.
2008-04-11 8:13 AM
in reply to: #1329432

User image

Regular
wyndswept - 2008-04-10 4:57 PM

Happy thursday everyone!

I am going to do the Run through Redlands race. http://www.redlands-events.com/RTR1.htm
I am just not sure what distance. You should come east for it. It is a nice race and not too expensive.

I really like 1/2 marathon distance. 10K is really like a really long 5k, i.e., you're still really running a really fast, close to puking effort just for twice as long as a 5k. 1/2 marathon you can settle into to it and pace. And it's long enough that you have to have a certain mental fortitude (which I often lack) to maintain and hold on.

2008-04-11 8:20 AM
in reply to: #1330155

User image

Regular
sesh - 2008-04-11 12:34 AM

Yow!!  I did yoga for a while but had to substitute swimming at the time of day the yoga class is.  I still tivo the Namaste Yoga series on FitTV and do that sometimes.  But 54???  Whew!

Yoga for me is a lot like church. Whatever happens during yoga/church is 100X as funny as in real life because everyone is serious and you can't laugh. Last time I went to yoga my friend purposely ripped a loud one and I immediately reverted to my 8 year old self and about killed myself trying not to laugh for 30minutes. I had to plug my nose and everything. It was exactly like when I was an alter boy and we would be standing on the alter behind the priest and one of my brothers would fart and we would spend the rest of mass turning purple trying not to laugh. Then we would look out in the audience and see my dad's beat red face and we knew we were screwed. To this day if I go to mass (no more than once every two years to keep the whole thing magical) with my brothers we will have a laughing fit and p!ss off my dad.
2008-04-11 9:04 AM
in reply to: #1330384

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
pshorty - 2008-04-11 8:13 AM
wyndswept - 2008-04-10 4:57 PM

Happy thursday everyone!

I am going to do the Run through Redlands race. http://www.redlands-events.com/RTR1.htmI am just not sure what distance. You should come east for it. It is a nice race and not too expensive.
I really like 1/2 marathon distance. 10K is really like a really long 5k, i.e., you're still really running a really fast, close to puking effort just for twice as long as a 5k. 1/2 marathon you can settle into to it and pace. And it's long enough that you have to have a certain mental fortitude (which I often lack) to maintain and hold on.

I've found that I like to 'cruise' the first ten miles.  For me, that's snail pace, but really just settling in, finding a good comfortable pace, maybe walking through some water stations.  Then when I hit mile ten I like to go at it like a 5k.  Hopefully one day I can make it a four mile push in, then five, and finally I'd like to have it split into what amounts into two 10K + a little halves.  Find a rythm for the first half, then run a full on 10k+ to finish.

You're right though.  The half distance is just enough to give you a good mind ..um.. test, but not so long that it rips you apart physically and requires a bunch of recovery. 

2008-04-11 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1330398

User image

Veteran
Portland

That is hilarious- the exact same thing happens whenever me and my siblings are in a church. What is it about church that makes 4 adults revert to their 10, 8, 6, 4 year old selves the minute we walk through the door? Not so sure, but that is definitely what happens when we get there, especially for the very serious holiday services...

Off for a bike ride and then a full length practice GRE test. fun. or not.

2008-04-11 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1330295

User image

Veteran
Portland

I am coming to DC for a family/friends trip actually. I just quit my job because we're moving out of state early this summer (Portland or Seattle or Austin, tbd very soon), and I wanted to have some time to visit family and friends between jobs, and study for the GREs which I am taking in June. So I really have no excuses for not training since I am basking in free time technically but it's amazing how much I am finding to fill my days! My boyfriend gets home from work at 5:30 and every day I am like "5:30? already!!?"

Have a good weekend everyone!

Edited by kerryleigh5 2008-04-11 11:46 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  

of 33