BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2008-03-17 9:34 AM
in reply to: #1098772

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME

Planned Actual  Missing 
HrsMinHrsMin%HrsMin
Swim35250920-15
Bike530520970-10
Run34524573-10
Strength1 2 20010
Stretching210130690-40
1530142593-1-5

Oh well, it was a good week even if off on the run and stretching.  I hit all my swim workouts, but he usually has a longer time allowance than I use, so I am really at 100% for those.  This week is about 7 hours of training, so I WILL DO EVERYTHING...and really focus on STRETCHING. 

2008-03-17 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1274152

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Krakatoa - 2008-03-15 10:53 PM

k_hase - 2008-03-14 5:46 AM
aquinn - 2008-03-13 9:22 AM

Can I get in your bag and go to Korea?

you might fit! I'll admit my greatest concern is diet coke, where will I get my diet coke, or coke light or what ever it is there. Its not a pickiness thing, its a caffeine thing.

Korea is pretty modern...you won't have any trouble finding anything. There are even 7-11s and all sorts of mini-market stores on every corner and they sell Coke, Coke Light, all that stuff.  You should try the Apple Soda (Demi Apple) - it's awesome!!   The no jeans in the temples thing is kind of odd, as I don't think I've ever NOT been in jeans during twelve years of temple visits all over the country.  Lots of Koreans are in jeans, too.

Thank goodness!! I've brought jeans anyway, but plan on khakis mostly. Apparently one women on this fellowshop last year wore jeans one day and the organizer told her to go change. Whatever. I'm finishing up the last of the last here in the office, manage a trainer ride this morning and will do one tomorrow at 3AM before the airport.

I'm pleased to here that Coke Light flows like water, now I'm afraid of the Kimchi, I've been told to take a small bite to test before I dig in as it can be killer spicy or just a bit spicy depending on who makes it. I also heard the Korean space agency spent millions trying to create a kimchi they could take in space and not be full of fermented bacteria and smell. They succeeded on the fermented part, but the smell was only reduced by 30-50%. What would I do without NPR!!
2008-03-17 12:03 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Overall a good week

Plan Actual difference
3/10/2008

Swimming 0 0 0
Cycling 270 275 5
Running 210 215 5
Strength 60 24 36

540 514 26

Didn't feel like lifting when it was "time" to.  Stretching I hit 50 out of 70, well short of the goal but much more than I have been doing.

The week ahead is reduced volume with a 10K on Saturday.  I have been wanting to PR this race and as it approaches I have my concerns.  I just need to go out, have fun and push myself through.   I would really like to take 2 minutes out of my PR but we shall see.   I think my target will be to start off at a pace that would drop it by a minute and see how I am doing at the 4 mile mark. 

2008-03-17 4:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson

Ok, here's my plan for the rest of this week!

Monday: stretching &/or yoga + hot bath! 

Tuesday: bike (45": Spinervals 1.0 Fitness)

Wednesday: AM - run, PM swimmy (it's grading day, so I'll have a window before the girls get out!)

Thurs: bike (1.0 Fitness again), strength, and maybe swimmy.

Friday: AM - run, PM swimmy (girls are out by 12:30, so we'll probably all go)

Saturday: bike (maybe something a little longer)

Sunday: swimmy and strength.

As long as I keep moving, I'm fine, it's when I sit down that I get all stiff.    Need to go move some more now!Wink

2008-03-17 7:51 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

I'll be catching up on inspires and stuff tomorrow!!!  Mondays are busy.  Busy is bad.  Gonna sit down with the hubby and watch a movie tonight.  Have hardly seen him the past 2 weeks - like 2 ships passing.  Keep on keeping on  

2008-03-18 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Okay- back from appointment with my son. Glad to have that crossed off my "to do" list- even though I still don't feel great. Slept a good 12 hours last night- and feel no worse (yet no better)  but at least I think I am staving whatever this is off.  Plan to sleep again quite early tonight, and I think I will be back in the game tomorrow. Or shall I say, I plan to carry on as usual tomorrow.  Back on the bike. Today was a day off anyway, so it kinda worked out for me.  I'm just basically achy.  I have to say, I'd have gone to work anyway- so it's not like I'm dying. But I always realize when I get sick that I surely take my normal good health for granted! 

I just watched the weather. In the 20's (for a HIGH) STRAIGHT through till we leave for Florida next Friday. It is seriously like a death crawl to spring around here- and EVERYONE's got some sort of creepy virus-y type stuff going on. Any wonder? 

2008-03-19 1:44 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

I just had a fun run that was encouraging for Saturday's 10k.  I had been silently grousing over how my tempo runs have gone/felt and wondering if somehow I was reaching too far with my goals and that my fitness had fallen that far off (along with that extra 10 lbs I am storing for the days when I resume "long" rides   )

Well today went surprisingly well, amazing what some extra rest and reduced volume will do.  Not just to be smart the next couple of days and run well regardless of the weather we encounter (forecast 40's with snow/rain mix)  Today was easy for the most part so I don't think I "left" my race out on the training run today. 

2008-03-19 4:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
I'm here, in Korea I mean, and its thursday morning for me, although I know its wed night for you guys. So far not much to say, I arrived last night, after a billion hours on a plane and was immediately taken out to eat. THe meal seemed wonderful but we all had spent nearly 18 hours traveling and were way off on body clock so it wasn't as appreciated as it could be. I'm currently in a dorm room at the Academy for Korean Studies, and woohoo, I have wireless!

I ran this morning, in the dark about 5 miles. I just followed a winding road through the hills to a trailhead. It was still too dark for me to run the trail, but the hills were a welcome change. Tomorrow I might skip breakfast so I can run a little later while its light out.

Bob-I've got about 6 hours of 'free' time on Sunday in Seoul. We have lunch at noon, I don't know where and then dinner at 6, but in between I'm free!! I would love to get together, and I'm up for whatever you can swing, even if it a run (it would be nice to run in the daylight with someone who knows whats what, although I'm afraid my sweaty self would be not be so welcome at dinner!!)

Let me know, I can check my messages very easily in the morning and at night.

2008-03-19 5:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Kim- Glad you made it safely.  Are you sure you are in a spot where it's safe to go running alone in the dark????? (I think I'm channeling my dad here.. ) How long are you there for? Sounds very fun!  When you talked about wearing jeans-- we have a friend who is a US Team physician and he was with Men's Volleyball in Thailand last year-- visiting a temple, and was told he could not wear shorts- so he had to wear Old Navy flannel heart pajama pants that his daughter had given him for Valentine's Day to the temple!

Off to swim in about an hour- then won't likely be able to find a pool till I get to Florida (and probably not till the 31st- since 28-30th we are visiting friends in Naples and I will need to be quiet- morning-runner-house-guest, not annoying-the-day-revolves-around-me-triathlete house guest.) I'm pumped for the Garmin on vacation- I HATE not knowing how far I've run and trying to make a guess or find time to go back and clock it in the car later on. 

Hope I have a good swim. I'm not expecting much, considering I'm still not 100% and haven't had a chance to swim since last Wednesday due to foolish pool schedules and household sickness. It is what it is-- -just gotta get in and move around and do my best.

2008-03-19 5:25 PM
in reply to: #1281591

User image

Master
South Florida
aquinn - 2008-03-19 6:09 PM

Kim- Glad you made it safely.  Are you sure you are in a spot where it's safe to go running alone in the dark????? (I think I'm channeling my dad here.. ) How long are you there for? Sounds very fun!  When you talked about wearing jeans-- we have a friend who is a US Team physician and he was with Men's Volleyball in Thailand last year-- visiting a temple, and was told he could not wear shorts- so he had to wear Old Navy flannel heart pajama pants that his daughter had given him for Valentine's Day to the temple!

Off to swim in about an hour- then won't likely be able to find a pool till I get to Florida (and probably not till the 31st- since 28-30th we are visiting friends in Naples and I will need to be quiet- morning-runner-house-guest, not annoying-the-day-revolves-around-me-triathlete house guest.) I'm pumped for the Garmin on vacation- I HATE not knowing how far I've run and trying to make a guess or find time to go back and clock it in the car later on. 

Hope I have a good swim. I'm not expecting much, considering I'm still not 100% and haven't had a chance to swim since last Wednesday due to foolish pool schedules and household sickness. It is what it is-- -just gotta get in and move around and do my best.

I was thinking the same thing...be safe Kim!  Seems like you just left

AMy-the Garmin has proved very useful for me on many vacations when I"ve gotten lost   The navigation "back to start" button is a beautiful thing! 

2008-03-19 6:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
I wondered about the safety thing too, but I figured that I live in Detroit, I take my life in my hands by walking out the front door!!

I've had my supervised breakfast and now know that I can go later than I did today, since i have about 45 minutes left before my first lecture. Tomorrow I'll run a bit later and see if I can hit a trail this time.

The flannel pjs are funny, its so strange to me that shorts would be a problem but any old pants are okay. I'll wear jeans toward the end, today is mostly lectures and then a museum tour. So my travel wrap dresses and low heeled black boots work, and I end up looking okay today. Except that my hair appliances didn't really like the transformer. Vanity is a very true rudder and if you're unhappy with your hair you're unhappy!

Amy-enjoy Florida and the early morning runs, we can lament our lost swimming fitness when we both get back.

And I'd damn near kill someone for a diet coke. A coke light. Brown, carbonated, caffienated and calorie free would be great. And not a 7-11 to be found.

2008-03-19 11:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson

Hey Mimi,

What was that push-up challenge that you gave Amy a while back?  Now that I'm past that first tri, I think that I'm ready to try it.

2008-03-20 12:09 AM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community

It's extremely safe here. Anyone, especially a western woman, could run naked through downtown at 3 in the morning and emerge unscathed.  You'd get a lot of looks, but the men here wouldn't even think of doing anything!  Crime here is waaaaaaaayyyy lower than Stateside. 

Kim, if you want to run at 8am on Sunday, I will hook you up with the running group of marathoners, and they'll show you a good time.  Most all are from the States - some civilian, some military.  I'm still hobbling around on my poor excuse for an ankle, so no running for me!

If you'd be interested in doing a shopping stroll thru Itaewon, let me know.  I'm free from about noonish to 2:30ish on Sunday.  It's an interesting place! 

Bob

2008-03-20 7:08 AM
in reply to: #1282189

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
The run at 8 I can't do, more lectures...

But the shopping I can do, I'll have to see how optional the lunch is and I'll take a cab to meet you.

My non-historical/educational impressions of my first day:

How do women walk all everywhere (palaces with uneven terrain included) in high heels?
If Korean food is so healthy, why do I feel like I've gained 10 pounds in one day?
The dire need for chocolate and diet coke is seriously underdeveloped.

My historical/educational moment of the day:

Reading a sign at Gyeongbokgung Palace explaining that the palace was part of the Joseon Dynasty with dates to 1392, it was burned/razed by the Japanese in the invasion in 1592 and left to sit derelict for over 250 years until reconstruction began in the mid 1800s. 250 years is longer than we've been a country. Sort of gives you some perspective.
2008-03-20 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Today's www.nytimes.com starts a feature from Bejing Olympic hopefuls on how to improve in certain sports for recreational athletes. Today's is a great story on a young male swimmer (not to be confused with a different story on a female swimmer who underwent a cardiac procecure) - go check it out!
2008-03-20 12:48 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

Thanks AMy!  Good tips from a great swimmer..I can't wait for the summer olympics!!!!!

I am trying to do the last quarter of planning for school for my kids and feeling overwhelmed...so I am distracting myself on BT...AND, I need to get out on my bike for an hour spin, but it looks like it might rain.  I have a small window to do it today that will close at 3pm.  OH, and if someone could come do my laundry that would be great  

2008-03-20 3:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community

Kim, I'm trying to figure out where they have you guys squirreled away so that you can't find coke and chocolate!  It's as ubiquitous here as anywhere.  Are they hiding you inside Namsan or something?  I think it's a plot to make you crack!! Laughing

Sent you a PM, too!!

Edited by Krakatoa 2008-03-20 3:16 PM
2008-03-21 9:47 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
My boys have left for Orlando until tomorrow night.  How dorky is it that I am totally looking forward to a quiet night on the couch watching news programs and playing on BT?  I need one of those nights.  My friend's good friend just dropped dead from a heart attack last night.  He was 44.  So sad.  She's a mess today  
2008-03-21 4:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Wow- that's really sad- and really young. Yuck.
2008-03-22 4:50 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

Got so rained on today on our ride today!

HAPPY EASTER to all who celebrate it. I have 1:15 run tomorrow, which is good since I totally plan to THROW DOWN both processed and non processed food alike   I bought me a bag of mini robin's eggs and they are MINE ALL MINE!!!! 

Whatever you do, hope everyone enjoys time with friends, family and loved ones. 

2008-03-22 5:52 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

I agree with the yuck (and if you eat the whole bag in one setting that yuck may apply to your last two posts

May peace and Comfort and strength surround her. 

2008-03-22 9:58 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

It is a yuck thing...and apparently his wife has been ill and not working, they have no life insurance, etc....So tragic. 

Currently, I am in training.  Training for having a teenager!   I am watching my friend's sons and her oldest who is 16 is at a movie...pick up is midnight   The other is 12 and has gone to bed, as have my children.  The dog and my dog are snoozing...

2008-03-24 6:02 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

Hi.  Hope everyone had a great weekend. I know I did, rain and all.  Again didn't hit 95%, but it wasn't MY fault!  Really, it was the rain..Really.

I will be spending some time this week going over your initial posts and calling you to the table   Just a 3 month check to see if you are doing what you said you want to do WAAAAY back in January.  I can do it here, or in your blog...just let me know! 

I have an ok week, then we leave in a week or so for Virginia, where I will have a run only week, with a little strength work.  I can't take my bike and am being realistic thinking I won't get to swim.  We're doing a lot of touristy stuff - Civil War and our nation's capital...in 4 days...plus 2 days of an approximately 15 hour drive there and 15 hours back.  Pray for me Sealed

2008-03-24 8:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Nope- call me out right here in public- and focus on why IT IS THAT I HAVE STOPPED POSTING MY WEIGHT.  I do best with public shaming.
2008-03-24 12:37 PM
in reply to: #1289101

User image

Master
South Florida

aquinn - 2008-03-24 9:00 AM Nope- call me out right here in public- and focus on why IT IS THAT I HAVE STOPPED POSTING MY WEIGHT.  I do best with public shaming.

Ok...so let the public flogging begin   Really this is just to help you evaluate the past 3 months (yes, it has been 3 months) and make some short term goals for the next 3. 

Looking over your stats from jan - now...here's what I see (roughly) with a week left in March:

Jan.                                   Feb.                                     March

swim          6 hours                              6 hours                                 3.25 hours                     

bike           6 hours                              15 hours                               14 hours

run            5 hours                              7 hours                                 6 hours

strength    30 min                               3.5  hours                             2 hours

Here is what I re-read from your OP:  "Triman Sprint - June 29th, 7-10# lighter...appear leaner, biggest challenge the swim".

I think some of the reduction in swim time has to do with the pool closing?  However, it IS your biggest challenge, right?  So, how about in the next 3 months you get in more swimming?  Swimming is a technical sport and is best learned through repetition.  It's not only important to have a good swim for the sake of time, but it can leave you feeling warmed up and ready for the real race or tired, heart racing and pooped. 

Leaner look...food intake..and strength training.  If you can't get to the trainer as much as you want, remember the pushups...and add perhaps some walking lunges and a core set of perhaps bicycles and the plank.  Core strength is paramount in this sport (well, most sports)...The plank takes one minute and does a LOT of good.  Balance the pushups with bent over rows or pullups if not near a lat pull down machine.  Poof.  Done.  THis is as opposed to doing nothing, and as you get closer to race season should be done at a minimum.  However, for this season, do I hear you saying you want to lose weight and lean up, and the race is to keep you motivated?  Keep your focus on what is important to you right now.

7-10# seems like a lot at first.  So, start on your vacation with a goal of coming back without GAINING any weight.  Use the time in FL to cook some nice fish and fresh veggies.  Eat lots of fruit.  But enjoy going out and splurging.  Just train alot to counter that, since you have the time.  But don't stress yourself out trying to stay on your training schedule.  When you come back,  work on losing 1-2 pounds that first week.  Just go week by week.  1#.  3500 calories you have to get rid of either through diet or extra exercise (that is equal to an extra 30-35 miles running per week, so guess where I would try to make the deficit ). 

You do a good job of hitting nearly 100% of your workouts so you have that going for you   Think swim..and strength...and clean eating.  It appears you have good endurance for the bike and run (and speed!).  Keep it up.

Ok, remove the scarlet letter.  I am finished

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  

of 36