BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-01-23 8:45 PM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed

Got my first 30 min of yoga done!!! I sure hope my abs feel strong tomorrow because I felt like an uncoordinated slug doing it. Was just thankful it was in the privacy of my home with the shades pulled...although my daughters found it quite humorous.

Wasn't sure how it would make me feel so did it before my 60min ride on the trainer. Next time I think I will take Lora's advice and try it after the weight training.

I can definitely see it is something I need to keep mobility through all of this training.

On another note I was looking at the '07 results for the triathlon that I want to do in April. When I looked at all the swim times I was pretty disappointed. I'm not real concerned about where I finish as compared to everyone else (although I don't want to get last!) but I really don't want to have the custodian kick me out of the pool as he locks the door.

2008-01-23 8:57 PM
in reply to: #1173057

User image

Master

aber4 - 2008-01-23 8:45 PM although I don't want to get last!)

Dude, put that thought straight out of your head!

It doesn't matter if you are DFL (Dead F'n Last).  You are going to be out there when millions of others never have the courage to get off the couch.  Just by doing all of the cool stuff I have watched you do over the last three weeks, you are way ahead of 99% of the people out there.  Embrace the fact you are going to do something unkown and challenging, and if you are last out of the pool (and you won't be BTW), so what.  You will do better next time, and better the time after that.  I personally have found your enthusiasm to be a great motivator.  Keep it up Alan!!!!

2008-01-23 8:58 PM
in reply to: #1172915

User image

Master

lmscozz - 2008-01-23 7:28 PM  Plus, I'll offer whoever wants it, a yoga video I don't use anymore -- any takers -- I have some from Rodney Yee that are pretty good. First to claim gets it. Got that idea from Aviator -- ~~Lynn

Way to pay it forward Lynn.  The book went into the mail yesterday.  I hope you like it.

Bennet

2008-01-23 10:03 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California

Someone here on BT came up with an awesome signature line, that goes like this:

DFL > DNF > DNS

What it means is "dead-f'in-last is better than did-not-finish which is better than did-not-start"!

And it is SOOO true.  The very fact that you're getting out and doing it, and then going through with it, is so much more than the couch potatoes of the world can say!  So be proud and ignore the nay-sayers.  As far as I'm concerned, they don't deserve an opinion, unless they're out there slogging away like us!

2008-01-23 10:21 PM
in reply to: #1172897

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
lmscozz - 2008-01-23 7:17 PM
ditchdoc - 2008-01-23 8:08 AM

In a bout 30 minutes I will be leaving the house to do my first brick. I am really nervous about this but I will let you know how it goes. 20 minute swim , 30 minute ride. Zoinks and Jinkies.

Okay, How did it go??? I've not tried a back to back brick yet.

It actually went well. I took a nice steady pace in the pool, and tried not top rush the transition, prolly about 5 minutes from out of the pool, to on the bike. Im am much more worried baout the bike-to-run transition, but that will be a couple of more weeks down the road ( no pun intended.)

2008-01-23 10:28 PM

User image

Los Angeles

I have been off the boards for a bit, so I thought I put my two cents in on the discussion.

Zoomers: Like any tool, don't over use. For me they are best for drills and for working on pulling. I use them to actually slow down to a 2 beat kick and focus on my pulling without using my pull-bouy. Full fins build more kicking strength if that is what you want to use. I think they are also good for real beginners to get used to moving in the water, but don't become too dependent. Only use them for a specific set, then take them off.

Yoga: I am a big fan of yoga. I focus on more athletic forms of yoga and I think that it is more beneficially to me than strength training ever was. (I started training with weights when I was 12). I first started with Bikram (where the room is super-heated to 110) and that was by far one of the hardest workouts I have ever done. You are totally wasted after it, completely cleansed and you can push your body farther than you thought possible. People either love it or hate it.  Now I am more into Vinyasa yoga, which is based on the flow of movement while learning to control your breath. It's a great all-around workout. It helps you build your lung power, but teaches you a great deal about body position that translates well to swimming and now I am finding biking. Nothing gets you more intouch with which muscles control what movements and how important your breath and your ability to remain calm is in the face of a physical challenge. Nothing beats the first time you successful do "crow" or "half moon" without killing yourself.

2008-01-24 8:37 AM
in reply to: #1173185

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
geez, I guess next time I will check the program BEFORE I do my training. I was only supposed to swim 25 mi nutes, but did 35. Oh well. Speaking of Yoga, I called my city's Dept. Of Leisure Services about beginner Yoga. They told me that they start a new class every 4 weks and just started one on the 15th. They will call me when the next one starts.
2008-01-24 10:02 AM
in reply to: #1172978

User image

Master
Vista, CA
gator416 - 2008-01-23 6:00 PM

Lynn, I just fell in love with yoga this week. I would love a video to try at home if you don't use it. I find it really strengthens muscles I never knew I had. I especially love how strong my abs feel the next day. Going again tomorrow night!

Great, Gator. Give me your address here or on a PM and I'll get it off to you. Yoga is very cool!
I actually took a weekend yoga workshop last year in LA. What kind are you doing?

~Lynn

Oh, I'm thinking about doing the Danskin in Florida and will visit my family in St. Pete too. Have you done that tri?
2008-01-24 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1173080

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Thanks, Bennet-- I'll let you know when I get it!

Oh -- I also wanted to let everyone know about the podrunner podcasts if you're not familiar. They are free on Itunes or you can download from the podrunner.com site. He makes weekly mixes of various types of music (trance, old school, fusion, rock) that have really helped me push through a tough run or bike.

~Lynn
2008-01-24 10:28 AM
in reply to: #1173816

User image

Los Angeles

lmscozz - 2008-01-24 8:05 AM Thanks, Bennet-- I'll let you know when I get it! Oh -- I also wanted to let everyone know about the podrunner podcasts if you're not familiar. They are free on Itunes or you can download from the podrunner.com site. He makes weekly mixes of various types of music (trance, old school, fusion, rock) that have really helped me push through a tough run or bike. ~Lynn

Thanks for the tip! I need as much help as possible to push through my runs!

2008-01-24 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran

How do you get those cool little weight trackers on your training logs?  I've looked for an h our to figure it out!

2008-01-24 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1173816

User image

Master

lmscozz - 2008-01-24 10:05 AM Oh -- I also wanted to let everyone know about the podrunner podcasts if you're not familiar. They are free on Itunes or you can download from the podrunner.com site. He makes weekly mixes of various types of music (trance, old school, fusion, rock) that have really helped me push through a tough run or bike. ~Lynn

PODRUNNER RULES

As a product of the San Francisco underground house parties of the early 90s, I really, really, like his stuff.  Some a little more than others, but for the most part it is great.  I listen to his podcasts on most of my workouts.  I'll second that recommendation.

2008-01-24 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Alan,
Go to www.tickerfactory.com and go to weight loss. After you put in your info you can paste the html code into the goals section of your training log.

Lynn,
I'm also doing the danskin tri at Disney. I'm so excited about it.
2008-01-24 11:38 AM
in reply to: #1173974

User image

Veteran

gator416 - 2008-01-24 11:06 AM Alan, Go to www.tickerfactory.com and go to weight loss. After you put in your info you can paste the html code into the goals section of your training log.

Thanks!!! Very cool! 

2008-01-24 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
This made me get up and get moving... http://www.youtube.com/ironmantriathlon
What dedication that father has, amazing!
2008-01-24 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran

WOW!!! Thanks for sharing that!

...and I'm pouting around about the thought of being last out of the pool...puts life into perspective! 

2008-01-24 5:27 PM

User image

Master

I just did a 53 minute run and enjoyed every minute of it.  That can't be normal....

Now I just need to do a 90 minute run on Sunday...... :0

2008-01-24 5:30 PM

New user

My thoughts/ comments on yoga:

I ran my first half marathon pre-yoga. Mt second half marathon was much easier as I was much stronger overall from my yoga practice. I stick with more athletic (sweaty) vinyasa yoga. I am fortunate to have found a great teacher who lets the class choose which parts of our body we focus on each class. He knows I run and have tight hams so we always throw ham poses in.

I DO NOT like standard strength training and I find yoga is a good substitute as it strengthens your whole body as someone mentioned earlier.

As far as fitting it in with your other workouts, it would depend on the type of yoga. I have attenpted to run, then do a class and it wiped me out...I hot child's pose midway through.

On swimming...how do I get started?! It's so cold and i just can't get motivated to find a pool. HELP!
2008-01-24 6:39 PM

User image

Denver,CO
I did my first brick today with out realizing it until I was catching up on reading the groups posts.

I swan for 300 yds then after changing I found a bike open at the gym. So I rode 4.61 miles. Then off to a nice massage.

It wasn't to hard. But I don't have the long times yet.

Last week I walked with 1 dog for a mile then came back and walked the other dog for a mile then rested about an hour then did the swim. I guess that isn't a brick with all that time in between for resting.
There was no running due to ice and snow on the ground.

Laura

I have Bearded Collies- the class clowns. They are very bouncy. They run good for shows but out on the street they are all over in front of me. Thank God they haven't stopped suddenly in front of me.
2008-01-24 9:14 PM

Veteran
Hey everyone,

So i had two workouts today...plus teaching swimming lessons twice and im exhausted.

Twas good, thanks for motivation
2008-01-25 9:34 AM
in reply to: #1174892

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Aviator1596 - 2008-01-24 6:27 PM

I just did a 53 minute run and enjoyed every minute of it.  That can't be normal....

Now I just need to do a 90 minute run on Sunday...... :0

That is not normal! lol I had 60 mins yesterday and looked at the timer every 2 seconds. Good job on the run though, and have fun Sunday! It is supposed to be warmer in OH this weekend so Im hoping to run outside.

2008-01-25 3:10 PM
in reply to: #1174840

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Sorry to jump in, but I have done a couple of races that the Hoyts have done. It is an amazing thing. At Timberman last year, I swam by them at the start of the race. It was so emotion that I did not know if I wanted to cry or swim as hard as I possibly could. Then again on the run I saw them. They were starting their run and I was nearing the end of mine. I was hurting a bit, but upon seeing them, I once again found myself very emotional and with tons of energy. To make things even more incredible, they are very nice folks, pleasant and easy to talk to. Certainly makes you feel motivated upon watching this.
2008-01-25 3:53 PM
in reply to: #1176447

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

gatjr33 - 2008-01-25 3:10 PM Sorry to jump in, but I have done a couple of races that the Hoyts have done. It is an amazing thing. At Timberman last year, I swam by them at the start of the race. It was so emotion that I did not know if I wanted to cry or swim as hard as I possibly could. Then again on the run I saw them. They were starting their run and I was nearing the end of mine. I was hurting a bit, but upon seeing them, I once again found myself very emotional and with tons of energy. To make things even more incredible, they are very nice folks, pleasant and easy to talk to. Certainly makes you feel motivated upon watching this.

I used to do alot of offshore fishing. I was really good about wearing sunscreen. I guess once that stuff gets in your skin, you never can get all of it out. Every time I watch the team Hoyt video, I get's a lil' sunscreen in mah eye. Tht's the only explanation I can think of....

2008-01-25 5:18 PM

Veteran
TOTALLY puts things into perspective. I saw that on the ironman tv website a few days ago...i was so touched by it. It really makes one think about things and re-evaluate what one complains about...

On another note, thank you all for your wonderful comments in my training log. It really feels good to see those little notes after days that are exhausting.

Major props to all you runners...im totally not a runner...i also look at the clock like...every two minutes...
2008-01-25 6:34 PM

Veteran
by the way...one workout to go before im done with this week's challenge!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52