Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 137

2009-02-18 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1966907

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - FULL
KelliD - 2009-02-17 3:27 PM

I may be the only person I know that doesn't run or work out with any music.  In fact my ipod died a few years ago and I never got around to replacing it.

Before Triathlon, I couldn't run or workout without my ipod.  Since tri's, I have essentially given up my ipod all together.  I started out with it at the Marathon, but after mile 5, I decided, nah...I don't need this.  I rarely use it anymore...  IM, no music allowed...so I have to make sure my mind can handle 11-12 hrs of its own thoughts! 

2009-02-18 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1966995

User image

evondo - 2009-02-17 4:12 PM

Betsy: i bet your competition is biking right now

me: haha damn it you win
i'll get my lazy butt on the trainer

That is classic! Kudos to Betsy...

2009-02-18 10:00 AM
in reply to: #1856928

User image

Readers in the group? or Nicole & Kelli - My wife wants to read "The Slow Fat Triathlete" book.  Has anyone read this.  I think the targeted audience is women interested in tri's.  Do y'all have any reviews if you have read it.  I heard it was supposed to be funny, motivating, etc...?

My wife has voiced a subtle and fleeting comment or two about wanting to do a tri or a fun run (5K)...But she doesn't really like the idea of the swimming, biking, and running thing...(?)  She is really into her Body Works + Abs classes and occasional weight lifting, but she avoids running and and biking for cardio.  Any advice to get her headed this way... I have tried seveal approaches, none of which have really ever worked... a guy thing? maybe... But any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

2009-02-18 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1968152

User image

Master
Houston

Yep, I do exactly what you said. I just try to keep cadence between 80-95 like I normally would during a race and shift gears when I need to lower the cadence. I've never tried the test by incrementing by mph, just watts but I looked at the data and each step was a 0.5-0.7mph bump on the trainer.

Newtons1st - 2009-02-18 9:19 AM
evondo - 2009-02-17 7:12 PM

Start at an easy pace on the trainer and I mean REALLY easy and every 1min increase your speed 0.5-0.6mph. When you notice your breathing becoming labored you've reached your aerobic threshold which is roughly what you can hold for a hour time trial.

What cadence are you spinning at while moving up the MPH? Do you start at say 70 rpm and then increase to what ever gives you a +1 mph gain and keep going till you get up to say 95 and then shift gears and back to 70? All numbers are not excact just examples.  

2009-02-18 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1968325

User image

evondo - 2009-02-18 10:10 AM

Yep, I do exactly what you said. I just try to keep cadence between 80-95 like I normally would during a race and shift gears when I need to lower the cadence. I've never tried the test by incrementing by mph, just watts but I looked at the data and each step was a 0.5-0.7mph bump on the trainer.

Start at an easy pace on the trainer and I mean REALLY easy and every 1min increase your speed 0.5-0.6mph. When you notice your breathing becoming labored you've reached your aerobic threshold which is roughly what you can hold for a hour time trial.

What cadence are you spinning at while moving up the MPH? Do you start at say 70 rpm and then increase to what ever gives you a +1 mph gain and keep going till you get up to say 95 and then shift gears and back to 70? All numbers are not excact just examples. 

What is your take on higher cadence and how legs respond for the run?  A lot of triathletes believe in just pushing the highest gear, high mph and deal with the legs on the run.  I have found that taking a page from roadies, has helped me in my transition to the run.  I work very hard to keep my cadence above 90 and closer to 100 as I can.  I work the gears a lot - still work into the higher gears - just not the tallest gear all the time.  I rely on my cardio more than my power to try and keep the legs a little more fresh.

Anyone else apply similar or completely different tactics on the bike?

Edited by Tri_n_2_b_fast 2009-02-18 10:24 AM
2009-02-18 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1968354

User image

Master
Houston

I'm 100% with you, I prioritize spinning over pushing a higher gear. I'm not very good going above 95rpm, I start bouncing which is why I try to use that as my upper limit.  On normal road I'm normally ~90rpm, only time I drop down is when climbing a hill. My hill strategy is to maintain consistent power ~300-320W up and down the hill to avoid high power spikes cause I believe those will hurt you during the run...

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-02-18 10:22 AM
evondo - 2009-02-18 10:10 AM

What is your take on higher cadence and how legs respond for the run?  A lot of triathletes believe in just pushing the highest gear, high mph and deal with the legs on the run.  I have found that taking a page from roadies, has helped me in my transition to the run.  I work very hard to keep my cadence above 90 and closer to 100 as I can.  I work the gears a lot - still work into the higher gears - just not the tallest gear all the time.  I rely on my cardio more than my power to try and keep the legs a little more fresh.

Anyone else apply similar or completely different tactics on the bike?

2009-02-18 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1968284

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN
Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-02-18 10:00 AM

Readers in the group? or Nicole & Kelli - My wife wants to read "The Slow Fat Triathlete" book.  Has anyone read this.  I think the targeted audience is women interested in tri's.  Do y'all have any reviews if you have read it.  I heard it was supposed to be funny, motivating, etc...?

My wife has voiced a subtle and fleeting comment or two about wanting to do a tri or a fun run (5K)...But she doesn't really like the idea of the swimming, biking, and running thing...(?)  She is really into her Body Works + Abs classes and occasional weight lifting, but she avoids running and and biking for cardio.  Any advice to get her headed this way... I have tried seveal approaches, none of which have really ever worked... a guy thing? maybe... But any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

One point for her is that she already has lots of core work done.  That should help her out a lot if she gets started.  I'd ask her if she is will to to put a little time in trying the sports out.  If she honestly puts the time in and doesn't like it then its not for her.  I was the same way about running, I discovered that I love it!!!  now I wish I had known sooner.  Good luck!

2009-02-18 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1968284

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-02-18 11:00 AM

I haven't read it... so I'm not much help there... but just to throw it out there- if she doesn't like the idea of swimming/biking/running, why would she want to do a tri?  Not trying to be snarky- I only ask because husband has recently said that he thinks he could do a race even though he is completely disinterested because he really just wants to spend time with me.

I struggle a lot with balancing him and training, and that was an indicator that I kind of missed when it first came up.  I was so excited that he was talking about racing, I didn't even think about what else that could mean.

Just call me Dr. Phil over here.

2009-02-18 12:06 PM

User image

She has tried running, and finds it too difficult... can't settle her breathing down, HR is elevated, etc... which I have tried to coach her through.  She just says that some people are just not genetically designed to run.  She has also tried swimmin, and although she can swim well enough as not to drown, she finds the free stroke and breathing, etc. is too difficult.  She showed an interest in cycling, and I picked up a pretty nice Trek road bike for her from a friend who is a female triathlete.  She rode it once outside and once on the trainer, for a total time of 30mins.  Isn't comfortable with shifting, is afraid of crashing, etc.  Long and short of it simply is... this would all be new to her (outside of her comfort zone) and that is too tough to over come (or at least) it is too tough for her to be willing to over come.

I think she has mentioned it, so that we could do something like this together.  But if the truth were really told, she lacks total interest in doing this.  I am not trying to air complaints or about her (because I feel I am have quite the gal)... I was just searching for some insight.  See if others have struggled with similar issues with their SO's, and what the outcome was. 

Thanks for the perspective thus far.  I see couples at the races that race together (and hear cases like Eric & Betsy) and it makes me think it would really be cool, to share in this. 

Good luck Nicole, I hope your hubby gives it a whirl and y'all have a blast out there.

Edited by Tri_n_2_b_fast 2009-02-18 12:08 PM
2009-02-18 12:29 PM
in reply to: #1968667

User image

Master
Houston

For her running and getting out of breath, strap a HR monitor on her and don't let her above 150-160bpm.  Betsy used to have the issue of starting out too hard, her HR would spike within the first 10-15mins of the workout then drop significantly for the rest of it. It's very common with all my friends and people I've coached, people have the tendency to go too hard too soon. Once the mileage and comfort level increases then she should start trying to push HR, if she wants to.

Now getting Betsy to swim was not the easiest thing to do, I tried coaching her and because of the bf/gf relationship it wouldn't work.  My swim coach agreed to teach her and she responded much better to that, if he told her to do something she would do it if I told her the exact same thing I would get a "no"

For biking/running I give her workouts if she needs but try to avoid teaching her. I'm always there for questions but not going to just rattle off a list of things she's doing wrong, of course if she's reading this... she does no wrong There's something to be said about reading/researching for yourself, I think it helps develop more interest too. My suggestion is give her the resources she needs to get involved (spin classes/lessons/coach/websites/books/etc) so that she can learn but avoid the teaching part if you can. Also, start off with only one sport that she's most interested in and build on that.

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-02-18 12:06 PM

She has tried running, and finds it too difficult... can't settle her breathing down, HR is elevated, etc... which I have tried to coach her through.  She just says that some people are just not genetically designed to run.  She has also tried swimmin, and although she can swim well enough as not to drown, she finds the free stroke and breathing, etc. is too difficult.  She showed an interest in cycling, and I picked up a pretty nice Trek road bike for her from a friend who is a female triathlete.  She rode it once outside and once on the trainer, for a total time of 30mins.  Isn't comfortable with shifting, is afraid of crashing, etc.  Long and short of it simply is... this would all be new to her (outside of her comfort zone) and that is too tough to over come (or at least) it is too tough for her to be willing to over come.

I think she has mentioned it, so that we could do something like this together.  But if the truth were really told, she lacks total interest in doing this.  I am not trying to air complaints or about her (because I feel I am have quite the gal)... I was just searching for some insight.  See if others have struggled with similar issues with their SO's, and what the outcome was. 

Thanks for the perspective thus far.  I see couples at the races that race together (and hear cases like Eric & Betsy) and it makes me think it would really be cool, to share in this. 

Good luck Nicole, I hope your hubby gives it a whirl and y'all have a blast out there.

2009-02-19 1:49 AM
in reply to: #1968667

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-02-18 12:06 PM

Looks like a great book! http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Fat-Triathlete-Athletic-Dreams/dp/156924...

Sounds to me like you would be wasting your time to get her going.  I'd think that sitting down with her and asking her if she feels neglected or if she just wants to spend more time with you.  There is no reason to ask it in context of "do you want to Tri because of...."  If she is honest about it I bet she just wants to be around you more.  Then you can have a group discussion about how you both can fulfill each other needs more effectively. 

We aren't mind readers, although many times we (both genders) expect our partners to be just that.  

Eric makes a fantastic suggestion if you are really set on getting her going!

Edited by Epyon 2009-02-19 1:55 AM

2009-02-19 9:37 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

I had a woman at the gym this morning look at me and say "what's up with your tanlines?"  (the bike short stripe ont he leg and jersey tanline on the back.

I replied that it was from swimming/biking/running outside so much while training for triathlons.

She looked at me and said "YOU'RE a triathlete?  I thought all those crazy people were skinny."

Witch had a near death experience right then and there, I almost killed her.

Good morning all.

Edited by Nicole83 2009-02-19 9:38 AM
2009-02-19 10:06 AM
in reply to: #1970264

User image

Master
New York, NY
Nicole83 - 2009-02-19 10:37 AM

I had a woman at the gym this morning look at me and say "what's up with your tanlines?"  (the bike short stripe ont he leg and jersey tanline on the back.

I replied that it was from swimming/biking/running outside so much while training for triathlons.

She looked at me and said "YOU'RE a triathlete?  I thought all those crazy people were skinny."

Good morning all.

Dude....WTF!!  Who on earth says stuff like that??!?!?!??

Did you have a good retort?

I have a permanent tri short tanline.  It's quite sexy, let me tell you.

2009-02-19 11:09 AM

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN

Stay away from me I'm on day 2 of being sick and am almost done.  Where is there some wood to knock on????

I have sanitised all internest conections so it should be ok to be in the same thread with me.

2009-02-19 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1970361

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
KelliD - 2009-02-19 11:06 AM
Nicole83 - 2009-02-19 10:37 AM

Good morning all.

Dude....WTF!!  Who on earth says stuff like that??!?!?!??

Did you have a good retort?

I have a permanent tri short tanline.  It's quite sexy, let me tell you.

My retort was, "well, I'm not crazy."

Not as good as some of the ones I've come up with in my head since.

2009-02-19 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Houston

I'm impressed at your self control! That has to be one of the rudest things I've heard. You should get her to signup for a sprint and make sure to get right behind her for the swim start. No way she'll be able to tell it's you beating her down

Nicole83 - 2009-02-19 9:37 AM

Good morning all.

2009-02-19 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Nicole83 - 2009-02-19 9:37 AM

Good morning all.

You could have logged kicker her arse as alternate cardio.

2009-02-19 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

Since I was going to go see the DOC about my calf at 11:00 there was no need to go into work until after that. Was a nice time to get a quick ride in this morning.

The first thing is I am now a proud memeber of the "Feel over because I didnt clip out fast enough" club. I was turning around and waiting on some cars to pass. I have been so careful about clipping out and being ready when stopping. So I unclipped the right foot and ready to set it down if I had to stop. I was turing to the left and going pretty slow and my front tire hit some small loose sand/pebble that are left from the sand trucks. It skidded out just enough for my weight to shift from the planned right side to the unplanned left. No time to unclip and down I went. I was laughing my off. I am sure 2 cars got a good laugh as well.  

I am really glad I rode this morning for it saved me big time. Since it looks to be a bit chilly Sunday morning I wasnt sure if I would be wearing a beenie/toboggan on the bike part. Once thing I didnt think of until today was how my helmit would fit with that on my head. I wore the beenie this morning and tried to put on my helmit and it was a no fit. I had to adjust it. I could see me now in T1 tring to get my helmit to fit and getting all flustered. So I learned something today.  

2009-02-19 4:13 PM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
How did the doctors appointment go?
2009-02-19 4:45 PM
in reply to: #1971597

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
It was the ART treatment. I say Doc because he is a Chiropracter. They feel a little better. They are sore right now but this was how it was the first time I went. I figured I would just not run this week. Do a little light jogging Sat and see how they hold up Sun. Then take a few weeks off running and do more biking and add in swimming.
2009-02-20 8:19 AM
in reply to: #1971497

User image

Master
New York, NY
Newtons1st - 2009-02-19 4:37 PM

The first thing is I am now a proud memeber of the "Feel over because I didnt clip out fast enough" club.

I know it's only a matter of time before I'm also a member.  Honestly, I think this is one of my biggest biking fears.  I find this somewhat funny bc I feel totally fine about riding through the streets of NYC.  You'd think be nervous about getting hit by a crazy taxi driver, but no, I'm just nervous about not clipping out in time and kissing the pavement.

2009-02-20 8:46 AM
in reply to: #1972422

User image

Master
Houston

I think everyone becomes a member at some point! It's happened to me a few times, same way as Todd too without the gravel excuse... Unclipped the right leg, weight shifts to the left and there I go to the ground. Good part is since you're not moving it doesn't really hurt, just a little embarrising

KelliD - 2009-02-20 8:19 AM
Newtons1st - 2009-02-19 4:37 PM

The first thing is I am now a proud memeber of the "Feel over because I didnt clip out fast enough" club.

I know it's only a matter of time before I'm also a member.  Honestly, I think this is one of my biggest biking fears.  I find this somewhat funny bc I feel totally fine about riding through the streets of NYC.  You'd think be nervous about getting hit by a crazy taxi driver, but no, I'm just nervous about not clipping out in time and kissing the pavement.

2009-02-20 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1970549

User image

Master
Houston

Geez, one of our group goals should be to stay healthy for a month straight!

Hope ya feel better!

Epyon - 2009-02-19 11:09 AM

Stay away from me I'm on day 2 of being sick and am almost done.  Where is there some wood to knock on????

I have sanitised all internest conections so it should be ok to be in the same thread with me.

2009-02-20 10:03 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

Thank goodness for Friday.  Work is making my head spin this week! 

A girl I went to high school with and recently reconnected with is going to run with me this weekend (on Sunday) and I'm planning a nice easy bike on Saturday.  Anyone have any fun workouts going on this weekend?

Eric, isn't your HIM coming up super fast?

2009-02-20 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1972496

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

Hey, that's totally one of my goals at this point!

evondo - 2009-02-20 9:53 AM

Geez, one of our group goals should be to stay healthy for a month straight!

Hope ya feel better!

Epyon - 2009-02-19 11:09 AM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 137