of 29

2009-04-29 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2118526

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
Subject: RE: kenj group - Closed
Howard,

We expect to see you hanging around even if you aren't in "full training" mode.  Congrats on the graduations.

2009-04-29 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2118526

User image

Master
Dunedin
Have a GREAT time in Hawaii!!!  Maybe you can make your own triathlon out of hula dancing, pineapple eating and lounging on a black beach??? =)

y2kdad99 - 2009-04-29 1:21 PM Well team I think I'm going to be the first dropout from the group. My schedule is just packed the next couple of months including both of my sons graduating, one from HS, one from college, work stuff and then a Hawaii trip (to celebrate the previously noted graduations). My tri season has been disappointing because of my knee problem, and I prob won't do any tri's until maybe Sept. I really appreciate all the encouragement and concern from the group. I will continue to follow everyone's progress. The only reason I'm withdrawing is that I feel like it's getting to be a one-way encouragement -- you have been encouraging ("inspiring") me, but I haven't been reciprocating, and I'm feeling increasingly guilty about it. I just have had a hard time keeping up with everything, and especially since I'm not doing a tri anytime soon, I don't want any of you to feel that you have to be checking my logs, writing inspires, etc. Thanks again, and please know I am not withdrawing because of any problem with anyone in the group. You've been great, and I've had a better year than I would have on my own. Thanks especially to Ken for being a great mentor. Best wishes to all and good luck with the upcoming season! Howard
2009-04-30 7:01 AM
in reply to: #1859832

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
Howard,
Didn't anyone tell you, this is like the mob.  You can sign up but there is only one way you can ever leave.  I totally understand how life can get in the way.  Have a great summer and feel free to stop in anytime.
2009-04-30 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Howard, being somewhat selfish here. If my swimming motivation lapses, what will I do? A pleasure to have you part of our group but please stop in on occassion and let us know how you are and definitely post a graduation/Hawaii trip report for us. Sounds like a great family celebration trip.

All the best!
2009-04-30 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Tri bike question? The Cervelo has one bottle cage. Do you go with rear bottle cages ala hydrotail or something similar or a aero bottle with sippy tube up front? I've seen both with aero bottle advantage of "staying aero" and kinda leaning this way yet heard they can rattle around and sponge leaks/pops out. I worry about my dexterity putting bottles blindly behind me and have seen them pop out on bumpy roads or hitting a pot hole. Any experience with these setups?
2009-04-30 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2120338

User image

Regular
wakehr - 2009-04-30 8:28 AM

Tri bike question? The Cervelo has one bottle cage. Do you go with rear bottle cages ala hydrotail or something similar or a aero bottle with sippy tube up front? I've seen both with aero bottle advantage of "staying aero" and kinda leaning this way yet heard they can rattle around and sponge leaks/pops out. I worry about my dexterity putting bottles blindly behind me and have seen them pop out on bumpy roads or hitting a pot hole. Any experience with these setups?

I recently got one of these:

http://www.invisciddesign.com/

I'm actually using it on my road bike, but it would work better on a tri-bike. I like it. Since I don't have aero bars, I couldn't use an aero bottle. I use water bottles, but am not very coordinated, so I tend not to drink as much as I should. The speedfil seems to work well, it's very secure, and I think it has gotten good reviews. Tjhe only down side I've found (besides the cost which seems high) is that it's made to refill from bottles of gatorade or water. If you are on an organized ride where they only have large coolers of gatorade, it's rather difficult to fill.

(see, I told y'all I'd be checking in)

2009-04-30 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2120338

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

wakehr - 2009-04-30 9:28 AM Tri bike question? The Cervelo has one bottle cage. Do you go with rear bottle cages ala hydrotail or something similar or a aero bottle with sippy tube up front? I've seen both with aero bottle advantage of "staying aero" and kinda leaning this way yet heard they can rattle around and sponge leaks/pops out. I worry about my dexterity putting bottles blindly behind me and have seen them pop out on bumpy roads or hitting a pot hole. Any experience with these setups?

My bike actually has room for 2 cages, but I prefer the seat mounted x-lab set up:

http://www.all3sports.com/product_info.php?pName=xlab-sonic-wing-complete-ii&osCsid=31773123dd6692901f04c49d36cdb6c8

Just be careful if you decide to go with this set up as the Cervelo requires some extra bracketry or something to mount it.  Of course the other option is the aero bottle mounted on the handle bars.  I use that as well with water to sip for longer races.

2009-04-30 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
I have the profile designs aero drink bottle.  The one that goes between the aero bars and has a sippy straw.  Actually the one I have has 2 containers and 2 straws so you could have water and a sports drink.  Mine is the newer design so it has a lid as well as the spongy thing and I have never had it leak out.  However, I find that its not that easy to drink out of while riding, the straw is very low and I kind of have to tip the bottle to drink from it.  I have thought about getting a longer straw but haven't yet but to this date, I find that I don't really even use it all that much.  I didn't bother putting it on during my duathlon last weekend. 
2009-05-01 8:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Thanks for the feedback on aero/rear bottle cages. I didn't know about zipfill. I'll probably start with profile aero bottle and see how that works. Short term I can try putting an extra bottle in middle pocket of the jersey...if I freeze it might even get some body cooling too.
2009-05-03 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Thanks for the hydration gear info boys.  I can't believe stuff costs so much though!!   It seems like most triathlon gadgets fall at the $100 mark or up!
2009-05-03 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2126362

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

WittyCityGirl - 2009-05-03 10:03 AM Thanks for the hydration gear info boys.  I can't believe stuff costs so much though!!   It seems like most triathlon gadgets fall at the $100 mark or up!

I think you may be right, at least when it comes to the bike.

2009-05-04 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Just a FYI, I did a reveiw on a new product Snot Spot...yea, no joke. Fleece material to wear over your cycling glove for those chilly mornings that seem to trigger my nose into a non-stop slimy faucet. Worked really well this winter. Now I just need to find something like a "sweat stop" for the upcoming heat.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/gear/review.asp?reviewid=2012

http://www.snotspotgear.com/product.html

2009-05-04 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
Interesting Wayne.  I just ordered one.
2009-05-05 6:47 AM
in reply to: #2128469

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

wakehr - 2009-05-04 12:05 PM Just a FYI, I did a reveiw on a new product Snot Spot...yea, no joke. Fleece material to wear over your cycling glove for those chilly mornings that seem to trigger my nose into a non-stop slimy faucet. Worked really well this winter. Now I just need to find something like a "sweat stop" for the upcoming heat. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/gear/review.asp?reviewid=2012 http://www.snotspotgear.com/product.html

Necessity is the mother of invention!

2009-05-07 10:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
Went to the opening stage of the Joe Martin race here in the Ozarks.  The first stage is a time trial out of one of our state parks up a 6.8% grade to the finish, 2.5 miles (feels like 10).  It was a lot of fun to see the finish.  I got a bigger kick out of watching the women race, since it seemed like there was more disparity there.  Some of them were pretty average and some were totally awesome.  In contrast, some of the guys were awesome and some were beyond belief.  I kept thinking how far I am from being anywhere near any of these people.  It was inspiring and at the same time humbling.  Sigh.

[edit]Sorry, here are the photos...  http://picasaweb.google.com/chipandbecca/JoeMartinStageRace#[/edit]

Edited by snaproll 2009-05-07 11:04 PM
2009-05-08 5:34 AM
in reply to: #2137916

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

snaproll - 2009-05-07 11:43 PM Went to the opening stage of the Joe Martin race here in the Ozarks.  The first stage is a time trial out of one of our state parks up a 6.8% grade to the finish, 2.5 miles (feels like 10).  It was a lot of fun to see the finish.  I got a bigger kick out of watching the women race, since it seemed like there was more disparity there.  Some of them were pretty average and some were totally awesome.  In contrast, some of the guys were awesome and some were beyond belief.  I kept thinking how far I am from being anywhere near any of these people.  It was inspiring and at the same time humbling.  Sigh.

[edit]Sorry, here are the photos...  http://picasaweb.google.com/chipandbecca/JoeMartinStageRace#[/edit]

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Some of those guys are freaks of nature!  Almost sickly skinny with legs like tree trunks!!!

2009-05-08 7:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Wishing everyone a safe weekend and bless all the mom's this Sunday; came across this article in Tri-fuel. A Triathlete's Mothers Day !!

http://www.trifuel.com/training/endurance-files/a-triathletes-mothe...

2009-05-08 10:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
Interesting day today. 

I got in a pretty good workout, then had lunch with a friend who talked me into signing up for a marathon in October.  I've always wanted to have run (past tense) a marathon, but never really wanted to do the work required to accomplish it.  Unfortunately he caught me a couple of days after I watched "Spirit of the Marathon" again, and I was in a weak state.  I told him I'd do it and he could pick the marathon as long as the course was flat, so he chose Dublin.  It's the only way I can think of that would generate 100% support from my wife.  Always wanted to go to Ireland.

Then, I went to the bike race today for the second stage.  It was fun to see the riders tackle the same roads I've ridden.  They don't seem to be nearly as red in the face as I am when I make those climbs.  Anyway, after the race the guy who organizes the motorcycle volunteers asked me to take the video guy with the elite riders tomorrow.  Pretty cool!!
2009-05-10 6:27 AM
in reply to: #2140113

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

snaproll - 2009-05-08 11:30 PM Interesting day today. 

I got in a pretty good workout, then had lunch with a friend who talked me into signing up for a marathon in October.  I've always wanted to have run (past tense) a marathon, but never really wanted to do the work required to accomplish it.  Unfortunately he caught me a couple of days after I watched "Spirit of the Marathon" again, and I was in a weak state.  I told him I'd do it and he could pick the marathon as long as the course was flat, so he chose Dublin.  It's the only way I can think of that would generate 100% support from my wife.  Always wanted to go to Ireland.

Then, I went to the bike race today for the second stage.  It was fun to see the riders tackle the same roads I've ridden.  They don't seem to be nearly as red in the face as I am when I make those climbs.  Anyway, after the race the guy who organizes the motorcycle volunteers asked me to take the video guy with the elite riders tomorrow.  Pretty cool!!

Destination races are a fun way to include the family and still do the race!  When is the race?

It is neat that you got to haul the video guy around with the elite riders! Sounds like a blast!

2009-05-11 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2140113

User image

Master
Dunedin
Ireland is GREAT!  I loved it there.  Enjoy training. *smirk*.  

p.s. the pictures were great! 

snaproll - 2009-05-08 11:30 PM Interesting day today. 

2009-05-17 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
I heard Christopher McDougall interviewed on two different NPR programs last week and bought his book a few days ago.  Just thought I'd pass it along because I have really enjoyed it!!  It's fun to read and has been thought provoking.

Born To Run

Hope everyone is doing well.  I'm trying to get my base mileage up without getting injured.  I've started going to my MT twice a week to get stretched.  I don't know if it's helping but so far I've confessed to a dozen unsolved crimes.  Very painful stuff.

2009-05-17 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Haha. I'm supposed to start going soon, too, I hope I don't confess to anything too incriminating. =)
2009-05-18 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2155772

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

snaproll - 2009-05-17 10:46 AM I heard Christopher McDougall interviewed on two different NPR programs last week and bought his book a few days ago.  Just thought I'd pass it along because I have really enjoyed it!!  It's fun to read and has been thought provoking.

Born To Run

Hope everyone is doing well.  I'm trying to get my base mileage up without getting injured.  I've started going to my MT twice a week to get stretched.  I don't know if it's helping but so far I've confessed to a dozen unsolved crimes.  Very painful stuff.

Looks like a book to add to my list of must reads! 

2009-05-18 2:01 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

So does anyone have any big plans for the Memorial Day long weekend?  Big training rides, or races?  I just have a small local 5k, probably a nice bike ride and a loooonnnnngggg list of honey do's !

2009-05-18 3:56 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Husband and I are biking from Binghamton, NY to Pulaski, NY ~ 130 miles. =) EEEK!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 29