Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-01-28 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2555870

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Experior's Group - CLOSED
Just got back from 3 mile Tempo run, felt great still had some in the tank making me hungry for next run. Had to do it on treadmill to cold and very windy out.

That's all I have for now.

Sylvain

2010-01-28 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Finally got to the pool tonight. CROWDED! Had to swim circles with a few other swimmers. Had a good swim. One of my goals this month was to knock out a mile non-stop. Got started, got into a groove, did not know when else I would get to the pool this week, so I went for it and finished the mile!

The swim cut into my running time, but I changed and hit the indoor track and got a 3 mile run in. A pretty good workout if I say so myself. Laughing

Phil
2010-01-28 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2641328

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-01-28 8:33 PM Finally got to the pool tonight. CROWDED! Had to swim circles with a few other swimmers. Had a good swim. One of my goals this month was to knock out a mile non-stop. Got started, got into a groove, did not know when else I would get to the pool this week, so I went for it and finished the mile!

The swim cut into my running time, but I changed and hit the indoor track and got a 3 mile run in. A pretty good workout if I say so myself. Laughing

Phil

Woohoo!  1 mile swim!  That's a great milestone (so to speak). 
2010-01-28 7:46 PM
in reply to: #2640700

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sstucker - 2010-01-28 3:42 PM Just got back from 3 mile Tempo run, felt great still had some in the tank making me hungry for next run. Had to do it on treadmill to cold and very windy out. That's all I have for now. Sylvain

That's perfect.  If you can finish your tempo runs this way -- tired, but hungry for more -- then you are probably hitting it just right.
2010-01-28 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2641328

User image

Expert
Salem
StlPhil - 2010-01-28 5:33 PM Finally got to the pool tonight. CROWDED! Had to swim circles with a few other swimmers. Had a good swim. One of my goals this month was to knock out a mile non-stop. Got started, got into a groove, did not know when else I would get to the pool this week, so I went for it and finished the mile!

Phil

Congratulations.  Nice job on the mile goal StlPhil. 
2010-01-28 8:25 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

After my run last night my achilles tendon was bothering me; not the first time.  This afternoon at lunch I looked up Trigger Point and found a great technique to use so I tried it out.  Has to do with a point in the upper 1/3 of the calf.  USed the technique and I have to say it feel better this evening.  I used a little bit of lotion on my right Knee and some lotion on the back of my left calf on the same leg as the hurting achilles and pressed the calf muscle into my knee for the pressure moving it back and forth for a deep massage.  Seemed to work well. The site recommened three times a day.  I also iced it some this afternoon.  I'll do the treatment again tonight with icing after.  I may just take it easy with a shorter run tomorrow evening (3 miles or so).  We'll see how it feels after.

I heard about Trigger Point before from a local Running Store that uses it.  Equipment seems expensive, but their are sites that provide alternative of items one can use that replicate the devices. 

Here is a novel idea.....for those of you with young kids here is an idea for a Cool Meal that is fun. My son who doesn't like Spaghetti sauce, but likes the noodles and hotdogs came up with an idea from some book where you cut the hot dogs into small pieces and push hard spaghetti noodles through them so it sticks out of both ends.  Then cook the noodles and hotdog in boiling water.  When the noodles are cooked through they look like Squid.  They are called Squid Dogs. 

Edited by TriGuyBri 2010-01-28 8:27 PM

2010-01-28 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2641396

User image

Expert
TriGuyBri - 2010-01-28 9:25 PM

After my run last night my achilles tendon was bothering me; not the first time.  This afternoon at lunch I looked up Trigger Point and found a great technique to use so I tried it out.  Has to do with a point in the upper 1/3 of the calf.  USed the technique and I have to say it feel better this evening.  I used a little bit of lotion on my right Knee and some lotion on the back of my left calf on the same leg as the hurting achilles and pressed the calf muscle into my knee for the pressure moving it back and forth for a deep massage.  Seemed to work well. The site recommened three times a day.  I also iced it some this afternoon.  I'll do the treatment again tonight with icing after.  I may just take it easy with a shorter run tomorrow evening (3 miles or so).  We'll see how it feels after.

I heard about Trigger Point before from a local Running Store that uses it.  Equipment seems expensive, but their are sites that provide alternative of items one can use that replicate the devices. 

Here is a novel idea.....for those of you with young kids here is an idea for a Cool Meal that is fun. My son who doesn't like Spaghetti sauce, but likes the noodles and hotdogs came up with an idea from some book where you cut the hot dogs into small pieces and push hard spaghetti noodles through them so it sticks out of both ends.  Then cook the noodles and hotdog in boiling water.  When the noodles are cooked through they look like Squid.  They are called Squid Dogs. 

My kids would LOVE the squid dogs (I don't ask them to follow a vegetarian diet)
Good luck with the achilles tendon.
2010-01-28 8:37 PM

User image

Expert
I finally made it to the gym tonight for a run! 3 miles divided between the track and the treadmill. The goal is to go again tomorrow on my way home from work.
2010-01-28 8:38 PM

User image

Veteran
DC
I ran in -2 windchill this AM...it wasn't too bad, although my feet felt like blocks of ice for the first 15 minutes.  Spring is just around the corner, right? 

Phil, nice work on swimming the mile.  I finally mustered up the courage to go to the pool, only to find that it has been closed due to a leak.  Seeing as it's run by the Chicago Public School system, it should be up and running by August.  Time to find a new pool.

2010-01-28 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2641396

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Don't keep us in suspense!  What's the web site that you found?

Oh, and squid dogs sound great.  My kids specifically asked for hot dogs this weekend, so maybe we'll give it a try.  (We generally make them eat very healthy -- sweet potato soup and spinach salad for dinner tonight -- and they have a very good attitude about it; so the occasional request for hot dogs is honored...)
2010-01-28 8:44 PM
in reply to: #2641420

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slow turtle - 2010-01-28 9:37 PM I finally made it to the gym tonight for a run! 3 miles divided between the track and the treadmill. The goal is to go again tomorrow on my way home from work.

I have recently become a HUGE fan of running between work and home.  (I'm lucky enough to live 3 miles from work, but if I didn't, I'd consider the drive-run-drive option, because running after work is just that good.)

2010-01-28 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2641421

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Stone Cutter - 2010-01-28 9:38 PM I ran in -2 windchill this AM...it wasn't too bad, although my feet felt like blocks of ice for the first 15 minutes.  Spring is just around the corner, right? 

Sure, we'll let you believe that.  -2???  You're insane.  You have my never-ending admiration. 

Phil, nice work on swimming the mile.  I finally mustered up the courage to go to the pool, only to find that it has been closed due to a leak.  Seeing as it's run by the Chicago Public School system, it should be up and running by August.  Time to find a new pool.

Ugh.  I hate when my pool closes.  It's hard enough to convince myself to get there and swim (though I'm always glad when I actually accomplish it).  To get there and find out it's closed is just too depressing....

Edited by Experior 2010-01-28 8:50 PM
2010-01-28 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2641428

User image

Expert
Salem
Experior - 2010-01-28 6:42 PM

Don't keep us in suspense!  What's the web site that you found?

Oh, and squid dogs sound great.  My kids specifically asked for hot dogs this weekend, so maybe we'll give it a try.  (We generally make them eat very healthy -- sweet potato soup and spinach salad for dinner tonight -- and they have a very good attitude about it; so the occasional request for hot dogs is honored...)

Here is the site I was looking at.  It is abbreviated version of the book the site is recommending.  http://www.triggerpointbook.com/plantarf.htm
2010-01-29 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2641449

User image

Regular
Subject: 100 Days Until First Race

Today marks 100 days until my first triathlon and I'd like to thank all of you for participating in this group.  It has helped me focus my training and I can already see results ahead of my original plan.  Based on today's weighin, I'm down 6 lbs for the month.  I'm now looking at 6 lbs to reach my target race weight and I have added a stretch goal of 11 by race day.  I've also had great growth at the pool.  For those of you who either dread the pool or list the swim as one of your limiters, I can't recommend the Total Immersion drills enough. 

Good luck to all of you as you prepare for your 2010 season,

Mark

2010-01-29 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2642314

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: 100 Days Until First Race
OneFastMule - 2010-01-29 10:52 AM

Today marks 100 days until my first triathlon and I'd like to thank all of you for participating in this group.  It has helped me focus my training and I can already see results ahead of my original plan.  Based on today's weighin, I'm down 6 lbs for the month.  I'm now looking at 6 lbs to reach my target race weight and I have added a stretch goal of 11 by race day.  I've also had great growth at the pool.  For those of you who either dread the pool or list the swim as one of your limiters, I can't recommend the Total Immersion drills enough. 

Good luck to all of you as you prepare for your 2010 season,

Mark

Sounds like you're making great progress, Mark.  Glad to hear it.
2010-01-29 2:12 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
The other day I was thinking of posting this then never got around to it, but Mark's mention of an upcoming race prompts me to do it now.

I guess many of us have tris coming up in the next few months.  That makes now a perfect time to start adding in a little transition practice.  Even if you aren't doing a brick, you can practice your T2 after a bike ride, and your T1 before a bike ride.  I like to do it in as realistic a way as possible.  So, I know this sounds crazy, but I'll put my tri shorts on and jump in the shower.  And if it's going to be wetsuit-legal I'll put the wetsuit on as well.  I might even do a few fast push ups to get a little tired and out of breath.  Then RUN to the bike (which is already set up).  Wetsuit off.  Helmet on.  Shoes on.  Go!  When you practice T2, don't forget to practice running with your bike.  I'll imagine that the corner of my street is the 'dismount' and dismount there then run to my garage (aka 'transition area') with the bike.  (Yes, my neighbors think I'm crazy.)  You want all of this to be automatic in your race!

2010-01-29 4:23 PM
in reply to: #2641431

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Experior - 2010-01-28 8:44 PM
I have recently become a HUGE fan of running between work and home.  (I'm lucky enough to live 3 miles from work, but if I didn't, I'd consider the drive-run-drive option, because running after work is just that good.)

I may be luckier.  99% of the time, I telecommute.  I usually spend my lunch break doing a workout.   But I am looking forward to the weather breaking.  When I do have to go into the office, I'll commute by bike.  It's 11 miles each way.

Scout
2010-01-29 4:53 PM
in reply to: #2643433

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
scout21 - 2010-01-29 5:23 PM
Experior - 2010-01-28 8:44 PM

I may be luckier.  99% of the time, I telecommute.  I usually spend my lunch break doing a workout.   But I am looking forward to the weather breaking.  When I do have to go into the office, I'll commute by bike.  It's 11 miles each way.

Scout

Looking forward to joining the biking commute crowd when the weather improves.  Just moved my office closer to home (a mere 16 miles instead of 35).  Plus really nice route.  Start in my new location next week.

This week got away from me... had to squeeze in a bunch of work stuff before leaving that squeezed out workouts.  Heading to Florida this evening if I can get out before the snow... right now sitting in Richmond airport looking at a delay and very tight layover in Charlotte.  Tomorrow I drive over to Miami for the day (my Mom's belated Christmas gift)... I'll look for Spleen running along the road somewhere :-)

Send me those updates on the goals tomorrow (mine is going to be disappointing, so you all can whoop me good).  Also, sometime before the 1st, if you'd like to put in goals for Feb (weight, workout, showers, whatever), send me a message and I'll post the new chart early next week after we wrap up January!  Again, this isn't necessarily a competition, other than with yourself.

Cheers,
Stu
2010-01-29 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran
DC
Mark, nice work on the weight loss...I'm sure you'll reach your target by race day.

Michael, good point on practicing transitions.  At first I was thinking, 'whoa...this guy's hardcore' then I realized that its a rather important skill, especially for longer races. 

Today was my first 'double' workout:  swam this AM and just got off the bike.  I feel good!

Hope everyone has a nice weekend...
Mike
2010-01-29 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2643580

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Stone Cutter - 2010-01-29 6:40 PM Mark, nice work on the weight loss...I'm sure you'll reach your target by race day.

Michael, good point on practicing transitions.  At first I was thinking, 'whoa...this guy's hardcore' then I realized that its a rather important skill, especially for longer races. 

Today was my first 'double' workout:  swam this AM and just got off the bike.  I feel good!

Hope everyone has a nice weekend...
Mike

Well, I couldn't in good faith deny the charge of hardcore.  Wink

But I do think that practicing transitions is a good idea, even if one is much more casual about the whole thing.  The point for all of us of course is to have fun, and totally screwing up your transitions is not particularly fun.  I've seen people run out of T1 without their bike, struggle forever to get bike shoes on, fall off the bike while attempting to dismount, etc., etc..  Of course, these things will happen, but best to minimize the chances.
2010-01-29 8:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Well, finally got a chance to share my swim workout from this morning. Had a strong session, really starting to understand the feeling of the movements. Today, although not much, was taking one less stroke consistantly. Still can't count laps , think I missed another 50m again, but my time was same as Monday and Wednesday. Difference at end of todays workout is I was not tired. So I'm seeing good progress in my swim endurance.

Sylvain

2010-01-29 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2643737

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Well, I couldn't in good faith deny the charge of hardcore.  Wink

But I do think that practicing transitions is a good idea, even if one is much more casual about the whole thing.  The point for all of us of course is to have fun, and totally screwing up your transitions is not particularly fun.  I've seen people run out of T1 without their bike, struggle forever to get bike shoes on, fall off the bike while attempting to dismount, etc., etc..  Of course, these things will happen, but best to minimize the chances.

Michael is seriously hardcore :-)  It's what makes him a great mentor.

So let me share a really embarrassing moment to underscore why practicing transitions is important.  My first (and only) OLY length last Fall... came out of the swim a little disoriented (despite being a good swimmer, I had a few moments about halfway through that surprised me)... got through the transition pretty quickly, headed out on the bike and had gone about 3 miles when I realized that I had forgotten to put my helmet on.  I have *never* ridden without a helmet and the fact that I a) forgot to put it on and b) didn't realize it for 15 minutes or so tells you something (yes, I am a bit absent-minded as well peanut gallery).  Anyway, I think had I practiced transitions, that would have at least been less likely to have happened (and I probably would have come up with a good system for helmet placement so it would have been almost impossible to forget it).  That was a big fat DQ. 

OK... now watching a bit of a blizzard here in Charlotte hoping to take off very soon.

Happy weekend everyone!
-Stu
2010-01-30 6:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Have a great day everyone!  I'm off to work in the garage today (my p/t job - helps pay race fees!)  Hoping to get on the trainer tonight.  My new (ebay) crankset arrived yesterday and was installed last night....ready to check it out!

Scout
2010-01-30 2:05 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Happy Sat. everyone.  I going to ask for a little bit of advice before I make a decision to settle in on one plan versus another.  My goal is to do an Olympic race at the end of Sept., but I have about 4 Sprint Tri's in between May through Sept. that I plan on doing. 

What I am thinking on doing is using an Olympic Distance plan (looking at the Olympic Bike Focused 20 week plan which calls for 7 seesions and Time ranging from 5.5 to 10.5 hrs per week); I plan to add an extra run in each week as I don't want to lose the progress that I made in this area.  I think the 3x's 20 week Olympic Balanced plan would push me to the limit time wise and I might miss a few workouts each week.

My thinking is I'll be over prepared for the Sprints, but when it comes time to do the middle of the summer Sprints - two with significant hilly Bike legs (both of them the same course) I'll have more than enough base to push my self harder during these sprint races.  The I'll also be prepared (with moderate expectations) for the Olympic Distance in late Sept.

I hope this makes sense....I'd be interested in your thoughts or any other ideas I haven't considered in terms of plans.
2010-01-30 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2644559

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
TriGuyBri - 2010-01-30 3:05 PM Happy Sat. everyone.  I going to ask for a little bit of advice before I make a decision to settle in on one plan versus another.  My goal is to do an Olympic race at the end of Sept., but I have about 4 Sprint Tri's in between May through Sept. that I plan on doing. 

What I am thinking on doing is using an Olympic Distance plan (looking at the Olympic Bike Focused 20 week plan which calls for 7 seesions and Time ranging from 5.5 to 10.5 hrs per week); I plan to add an extra run in each week as I don't want to lose the progress that I made in this area.  I think the 3x's 20 week Olympic Balanced plan would push me to the limit time wise and I might miss a few workouts each week.

My thinking is I'll be over prepared for the Sprints, but when it comes time to do the middle of the summer Sprints - two with significant hilly Bike legs (both of them the same course) I'll have more than enough base to push my self harder during these sprint races.  The I'll also be prepared (with moderate expectations) for the Olympic Distance in late Sept.

I hope this makes sense....I'd be interested in your thoughts or any other ideas I haven't considered in terms of plans.

This sounds like a good idea to me.  I favor the idea of choosing a plan appropriate to your longest distance, then sprinkling in the shorter races as you need to.  One way to do that is how you described.  Another option is to start off with a sprint plan that finishes at your 'A' sprint race, then do a 'bridge' plan to the longer distance.

For example, you could do a 16 week sprint plan that finishes on your June sprint race.  Take a week or two of unstructured training to get your mojo back, then do a 12 week Sprint to Oly bridge plan that would end at your Sept Oly.  The other sprints would be considered 'C' races, where you don't taper or anything; just fit them into the Oly plan.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46