BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-04-19 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2578675

Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
Addicting,,,
Just signed up for the Terra Haute Tri next month.

2010-04-20 5:30 AM
in reply to: #2801031

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!

DougJ - 2010-04-19 10:47 AM Addicting,,,
Just signed up for the Terra Haute Tri next month.

Is is fun isn't it!!! 

Enjoy the journey!

FYI, until Friday I will only have access to the computer in the evenings and early morning.

2010-04-23 4:57 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I am doing a half marathon Sunday, but it is a local race that I am training through so hoping to get a nice long ride outside tomorrow. 

Does anyone else have any plans for the weekend???

2010-04-23 5:09 AM
in reply to: #2811643

User image

Welllington, NZ
Ken, good luck with that!

I'm going to try that 18k ride with my 8 year old son again - he's keen and this time we'll not have his mate along who wasn't so keen! ;-) Hopefully it in a quick run too.

Have great weekends people!

Lewis.
2010-04-24 11:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I rode 35 with the Vision Quest boys today.  Hard intervals for 10 mins a couple of times, VO2 max sets and some pace line training.  We were g0oing 30 for a while.  Very cool. 

I came home and ran 10K at a 9:20 pace. 

Hoping the rain holds off so I can get outside Sunday for 2 hours of escalating endurance sets.

Have a great week.  I didn't realize we were already archived.  Weird.
2010-04-25 3:51 PM
in reply to: #2814594

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

IceManScott - 2010-04-25 12:36 AM I rode 35 with the Vision Quest boys today.  Hard intervals for 10 mins a couple of times, VO2 max sets and some pace line training.  We were g0oing 30 for a while.  Very cool. 

I came home and ran 10K at a 9:20 pace. 

Hoping the rain holds off so I can get outside Sunday for 2 hours of escalating endurance sets.

Have a great week.  I didn't realize we were already archived.  Weird.

Good work Scott!!! I hope you got your ride in outside today!

HM in a cool drizzle this morning, but I did ok!

2010-04-25 5:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Way to go!   My longest so fat is 8 miles.  Boosting it a mile a month until the HIM on Labor Day weekend. Hope I do as well as you.
2010-04-26 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2815451

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

IceManScott - 2010-04-25 6:56 PM Way to go!   My longest so fat is 8 miles.  Boosting it a mile a month until the HIM on Labor Day weekend. Hope I do as well as you.

That is the smart way, you have plenty of time!  Plus with your bike fitness the run fitness will come quicker.

2010-04-28 7:01 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

So hows everyones week going?

2010-04-28 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2824231

I'm currently looking for an Oly. Tri down in Tennessee.
2010-04-28 8:00 PM

User image

Welllington, NZ
I'm just getting some mileage in in preps for the June marathon... ankles behaving and have just got back from my fastest 15k ever - and it was supposed to be a LSD run! Swimming and biking is slacking off though but that's okay - i'll pick those up after June.

Hope everyone else is getting their training in!

Lewis.

2010-04-28 10:12 PM
in reply to: #2824266

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

DougJ - 2010-04-28 8:21 PM I'm currently looking for an Oly. Tri down in Tennessee.

Why Tennessee?

2010-04-28 10:14 PM
in reply to: #2824325

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

lbishop - 2010-04-28 9:00 PM I'm just getting some mileage in in preps for the June marathon... ankles behaving and have just got back from my fastest 15k ever - and it was supposed to be a LSD run! Swimming and biking is slacking off though but that's okay - i'll pick those up after June.

Hope everyone else is getting their training in!

Lewis.

Glad to hear that the legs are holding up!  To train for a marathon properly, swimming and biking become cross training and the effort and frequency is different! 

Nice that you had a fast 15K today!

2010-04-28 10:20 PM
in reply to: #2824564

User image

Welllington, NZ
kenj - 2010-04-29 5:14 PM

Glad to hear that the legs are holding up!  To train for a marathon properly, swimming and biking become cross training and the effort and frequency is different! 

Absolutely - swimming and biking are both still in there but at less frequency and intensity...  cheers.

Lewis
2010-04-29 12:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Lighter on the runs this week because of the race coming on Saturday.  Did 6.2 Saturday, 3.1 Wednesday.  But bike and swims haven't let down. In fact, the damn bike has been hard, but really good.  Lots of tempo endurance stuff like 30 mins @ 75% with 3 X 10 mins at 90% plus.   Tonight might be on the trainer though...40 mph winds.  I could do the workout, it would help actually do the SEs, which are high power low cadence.  But I live in Illinois and there is nothing stopping it and things fly by...like stuff cast off on farms.  No cows yet but I would not be surprised.  Really though, it can get dangerous.  The power lines are blowing down this afternoon in the area.

Swim has been focusing on smooth strokes, 17-20 stroke count for 25 yards. 

2010-04-29 4:42 PM
in reply to: #2825863

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

IceManScott - 2010-04-29 1:30 PM Lighter on the runs this week because of the race coming on Saturday.  Did 6.2 Saturday, 3.1 Wednesday.  But bike and swims haven't let down. In fact, the damn bike has been hard, but really good.  Lots of tempo endurance stuff like 30 mins @ 75% with 3 X 10 mins at 90% plus.   Tonight might be on the trainer though...40 mph winds.  I could do the workout, it would help actually do the SEs, which are high power low cadence.  But I live in Illinois and there is nothing stopping it and things fly by...like stuff cast off on farms.  No cows yet but I would not be surprised.  Really though, it can get dangerous.  The power lines are blowing down this afternoon in the area.

Swim has been focusing on smooth strokes, 17-20 stroke count for 25 yards. 

Dodging cows on the bike, I can't figure out how to train for that! 

I can't fathom the percentage gain in power you are going to have this year with all your hard work on the bike!!

Good luck with the race this weekend, let us know how you do!!

2010-04-30 3:05 PM

User image

New user
Hey all..been a while since I was able to post...looks like everyone is doing great...keep it up.

Odd question...anyone with kids have any thoughts about training with little ones?  Mine first is coming in about a month and we are very excited about getting off on the right foot so to speak!

I hope everyone is enjoying their spring! 
2010-04-30 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2829187

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

selonimes - 2010-04-30 4:05 PM Hey all..been a while since I was able to post...looks like everyone is doing great...keep it up.

Odd question...anyone with kids have any thoughts about training with little ones?  Mine first is coming in about a month and we are very excited about getting off on the right foot so to speak!

I hope everyone is enjoying their spring! 

Good to hear from you Dan!!!

What aspect specifically are you refering to?  I know a lot of people that use running/jogging strollers for thier runs.  Otherwise, it does take some balancing of schedules between you and your wife to schedule it in.  I'm convinced this is why the mens 40 - 49 age groups are the largest!  It is about then that our kids are older and we have time to train!!  That said, I wish I had live a healthier lifestyle when my kids were younger, it would have set a much better example for them.

2010-05-16 12:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Hey all.

Training is going good.  Times on the runs are coming down and no injuries.  Ran a Lake Run Club run 20K (7.44 miles) at 1:06.  I was looking for sub 9 mins and got it.  Ran a brick yesterday.  27:40 first 5K and finished at 56.  Happy with that.  I'll never be a screamer on the run.  I just don't want to give back what I can gain on the bike.

Bike racing started for me last week.  21 mph for a 12.5 mile time trial on a very windy night.  My best on the course was 21.95 last year on a pristine evening with no wind.  I'm definitely faster. 

I upgraded to self centering shifters (Zipp) and a Bontrager 6.5 Aerolus on the front.  The shifters are a safety thing for me.  Hated my hands to be all over the place to shift on hills.  These are a simple click and the handle comes back to center.  Thew aero wheel is very nice...very smooth.  I had a Wheel Builder cover made for the back wheel...not out of the box yet.  Too windy for a disc. 

Swimming is going good too.  Getting more aero, lower times, 17-20 stroke count.

First triathlon is June 5, a sprint. Coach wanted me at 200 by then.  Hit that Thursday!  Not bad.  Down from 375-400 since 2005. 

I hope you all are doing well.  I haven't joined another support group for 2010 here.  I like this one and the folks who carried over with me from the last one.  You rock!
2010-05-16 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2861584

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

IceManScott - 2010-05-16 1:44 PM Hey all.

Training is going good.  Times on the runs are coming down and no injuries.  Ran a Lake Run Club run 20K (7.44 miles) at 1:06.  I was looking for sub 9 mins and got it.  Ran a brick yesterday.  27:40 first 5K and finished at 56.  Happy with that.  I'll never be a screamer on the run.  I just don't want to give back what I can gain on the bike.

Bike racing started for me last week.  21 mph for a 12.5 mile time trial on a very windy night.  My best on the course was 21.95 last year on a pristine evening with no wind.  I'm definitely faster. 

I upgraded to self centering shifters (Zipp) and a Bontrager 6.5 Aerolus on the front.  The shifters are a safety thing for me.  Hated my hands to be all over the place to shift on hills.  These are a simple click and the handle comes back to center.  Thew aero wheel is very nice...very smooth.  I had a Wheel Builder cover made for the back wheel...not out of the box yet.  Too windy for a disc. 

Swimming is going good too.  Getting more aero, lower times, 17-20 stroke count.

First triathlon is June 5, a sprint. Coach wanted me at 200 by then.  Hit that Thursday!  Not bad.  Down from 375-400 since 2005. 

I hope you all are doing well.  I haven't joined another support group for 2010 here.  I like this one and the folks who carried over with me from the last one.  You rock!

Thanks for updating us Scott!!!  Way to go on your run times!!! Great progress being made there.  I am not surprised at the improvement on your bike at all, you have worked very hard all winter and it is paying dividents!  Glad to hear the swimming is going well too.

Congratulations on breaking 200 early!  That is just a tremendous accomplishment from where you started! Something to be very proud of! 

I have been looking at the R2C (return to center) shifters that are becoming popular.  (Then I went and spoiled myself rotten with a new road bike).  Thanks for the review on them, may try them later in the summer.

I have been living in a hotel in CA the last 3 weeks, great training (other than the swim)!

2010-05-18 9:03 PM

User image

Welllington, NZ
Scott - thanks for the update, it's been very quiet around here! Sounds like you are doing great and seeing benefits from all your hard training! I must admit, i read your posts with great interest as you dicuss a lot higher level of detail about your training - very interesting!

I'm still concentrating on running in preparation for the June marathon which is 39 days away (so my watch tells me). Last week i did 21k, 7k, 15k and 7k runs and i was sore/tired for quite a while in the lower leg and ankle areas - i think that's really the max of what i can hope to achieve in my training at this stage. I really did increase the mileage quite a lot (way more than the 5-10% number) too quickly.

Still i have a plan to keep moving forward with - i'm going to adjust my plan to reduce the running mileage (to ease the soreness issue) but put in more bike work. This week will turn into a low intensity week (2 long runs - 21k and 17k) and then i'll see if i can ramp it up slightly next week... I'm really keen to beat my last runtime (4:23) so i'll keep plugging away with the training, but i guess we'll see!

Lewis.

2010-05-18 10:57 PM
in reply to: #2867212

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

lbishop - 2010-05-18 10:03 PM Scott - thanks for the update, it's been very quiet around here! Sounds like you are doing great and seeing benefits from all your hard training! I must admit, i read your posts with great interest as you dicuss a lot higher level of detail about your training - very interesting!

I'm still concentrating on running in preparation for the June marathon which is 39 days away (so my watch tells me). Last week i did 21k, 7k, 15k and 7k runs and i was sore/tired for quite a while in the lower leg and ankle areas - i think that's really the max of what i can hope to achieve in my training at this stage. I really did increase the mileage quite a lot (way more than the 5-10% number) too quickly.

Still i have a plan to keep moving forward with - i'm going to adjust my plan to reduce the running mileage (to ease the soreness issue) but put in more bike work. This week will turn into a low intensity week (2 long runs - 21k and 17k) and then i'll see if i can ramp it up slightly next week... I'm really keen to beat my last runtime (4:23) so i'll keep plugging away with the training, but i guess we'll see!

Lewis.

Good to hear from you Lewis!

I think the key to marathon training is frequency.  I would do the same number of miles/kilometers over 5 runs per week if you can vs. 4.  Then build the weekly mileage over the 5 runs.  But you are doing great, so keeping on doing what you are doing works too!!!

2010-05-19 7:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Hey Lewis, one thing I've learned is that the discipline to follow the advice and hold back and not overdue is as important as the willingness to get started exercising in the first place.  It took my coach some time to get that across. I would go out and do the workout and then add on more and more.  He finally got me to realize that the body ramps up and gets stronger in increments.  It can't do more and more just because you want it to.  The 10% per week increase for instance is there for a reason.  Do more and the body will break.  It takes time for the body to tear down muscle and rebuild it stronger.  You are actually helping yourself when you lay out a plan that challenges you and stick with it and find yourself saying, I could do more but I have to give my body a chance to get stronger.  Rest and moderate exercise are as important as the workouts that call for me to go all out.

I'm learning the same thing about nutrition during longer efforts.  The body can't absorb more than 200-300 cals/hour even if I'm using 500 to 1000.     Trying to force more in only causes stomach and digestion issues. 

Interesting stuff.  Intervals on the bike and in the pool.   Fartleks in running.  Nutritional timing.  The need for rest.  The smarter we are about our training, the more efficient it becomes and the more benefits we see over time.

Time trial last night - I am unsure about the time overall.  My Garmin has me at 21.97 mph for 12.5 miles.  If so, that would be a PR by .02 mph.   The best I did last year on a pristine night with little wind was 21.95.  last night we had 14-18 mph wind from the NE that really cuts into the last leg. So, I'm happy.  Official results in a couple of days.
2010-05-19 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2867558

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

IceManScott - 2010-05-19 8:00 AM Hey Lewis, one thing I've learned is that the discipline to follow the advice and hold back and not overdue is as important as the willingness to get started exercising in the first place.  It took my coach some time to get that across. I would go out and do the workout and then add on more and more.  He finally got me to realize that the body ramps up and gets stronger in increments.  It can't do more and more just because you want it to.  The 10% per week increase for instance is there for a reason.  Do more and the body will break.  It takes time for the body to tear down muscle and rebuild it stronger.  You are actually helping yourself when you lay out a plan that challenges you and stick with it and find yourself saying, I could do more but I have to give my body a chance to get stronger.  Rest and moderate exercise are as important as the workouts that call for me to go all out.

I'm learning the same thing about nutrition during longer efforts.  The body can't absorb more than 200-300 cals/hour even if I'm using 500 to 1000.     Trying to force more in only causes stomach and digestion issues. 

Interesting stuff.  Intervals on the bike and in the pool.   Fartleks in running.  Nutritional timing.  The need for rest.  The smarter we are about our training, the more efficient it becomes and the more benefits we see over time.

Time trial last night - I am unsure about the time overall.  My Garmin has me at 21.97 mph for 12.5 miles.  If so, that would be a PR by .02 mph.   The best I did last year on a pristine night with little wind was 21.95.  last night we had 14-18 mph wind from the NE that really cuts into the last leg. So, I'm happy.  Official results in a couple of days.

Good post Scott, and why I have to occasionally remind myself to trust the plan!!

Congrats on the PR!!!  You certainly worked hard enough for it!!

2010-05-19 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Official results will be out in a couple of days.  We shall see.  I'm expecting anything from about 21.5 to 21.9.  I want to bust 22 soon and maybe hit 23 by the end of the year.  Uncertain how much we can expect...where I will top out.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29