Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2010-05-31 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2892290

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!
Are you talking about putting in your daily weight into your blog?  If so, when you go to add you workout for the day it is all on the same page.  There is a section called "health" that you can enter your weight into (also sleep hours, etc).  The goal thingy then reads from that weight to adjust your weight loss goals. 

LockOut - 2010-05-31 2:50 PM Hey Tim,

How do you put in your weight data?  Do you have to be a bronze+ member to do that?  I'm trying to set up a goal, and I can't figure it out...  Thanks. 

2010-06-01 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2892488

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Great, thanks a lot, Tim!  I didn't know all the info you could put in there!  Awesome!  

So today was day 3, and I got a good 5k run in, averaging around 5'10"/km.  Weather was great for me.  Not too hot, not too windy, just perfect.  Bike ride tomorrow!

What is everyone's goal for this shortened week?  My goal is to eat clean, and to all the workouts in my training plan, no questions asked.  You guys have to hold me to it! 
2010-06-02 5:41 AM
in reply to: #2895583

User image

Expert
South Jersey
LockOut - 2010-06-01 8:50 PM Great, thanks a lot, Tim!  I didn't know all the info you could put in there!  Awesome!  

So today was day 3, and I got a good 5k run in, averaging around 5'10"/km.  Weather was great for me.  Not too hot, not too windy, just perfect.  Bike ride tomorrow!

What is everyone's goal for this shortened week?  My goal is to eat clean, and to all the workouts in my training plan, no questions asked.  You guys have to hold me to it! 
  After talking to a friend and her looking at my logs, I am using this week as a rest week and doing 18 miles.  My bike has been serviced and ready for me to pick it up.  Chances of getting it today are pretty slim.  I want to check the weather and planning a ride Friday or Saturday evening.
2010-06-02 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Veteran
My goal for this week is to stick with my training schedule.  So far so good!  I have done the past three days, tomorrow rest, Fri & Sat. run and sunday rest. 

I am also signing up for a 1/2 marathon today!!!!  I decided since my bike incident that I am not going to do the tri's.  I think it is a confidence thing and not having my own bike.  I would like to try training again next summer when I can afford to buy my own bike.  I am excited about signing up.  The 1/2 is the first weekend in October and I am going to run for a reason and support a group called Girls on the Run.  I am super pumped about this!
2010-06-02 8:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Congrats, Debbie!  That's awesome!  You sound really excited, and I think I speak for us all when I say I'm excited for you!  Do you have a training plan set up, or do you know what you're going to do to train?
2010-06-02 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2896030

User image

Expert
South Jersey
debbiereid06 - 2010-06-02 7:54 AM My goal for this week is to stick with my training schedule.  So far so good!  I have done the past three days, tomorrow rest, Fri & Sat. run and sunday rest. 

I am also signing up for a 1/2 marathon today!!!!  I decided since my bike incident that I am not going to do the tri's.  I think it is a confidence thing and not having my own bike.  I would like to try training again next summer when I can afford to buy my own bike.  I am excited about signing up.  The 1/2 is the first weekend in October and I am going to run for a reason and support a group called Girls on the Run.  I am super pumped about this!

That is awesome!  One of John's cousins husbands just ran a marathon in Vermont and raised money for brain cancer since his BIL has been diagnosed in the past few months. 

2010-06-02 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Pete - Glad that worked for ya.  There is so much you can do on this site it is ridiculous.  Congrats on sticking to the plan and setting the goals for this week.  The hardest part for me is to get through the first few weeks.  My goals this week are the same...eat well (especially on the weekend!) and get my workouts in.  I've only got 3 weeks until my big race so I really need to do well. 

Meggan - Good idea taking it down a notch this week.  The general rule of thumb is to do 3 weeks of building then 1 week of recovery.  Enjoy your "easy" week!

Debbie - Congrats on deciding to do the HM.  It makes it much easier for me to stay motivated to train when I have a goal race to shoot for. 

I have done 3 workouts the past 2 days and am feeling good.  Got in my first outdoor ride since my race and I felt no pain at all.  Gonna run after work today, then have 1 swim, 1 run, and 2 more rides scheduled this week.
2010-06-02 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2896219

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-06-02 9:08 AM Pete - Glad that worked for ya.  There is so much you can do on this site it is ridiculous.  Congrats on sticking to the plan and setting the goals for this week.  The hardest part for me is to get through the first few weeks.  My goals this week are the same...eat well (especially on the weekend!) and get my workouts in.  I've only got 3 weeks until my big race so I really need to do well. 

Meggan - Good idea taking it down a notch this week.  The general rule of thumb is to do 3 weeks of building then 1 week of recovery.  Enjoy your "easy" week!

Debbie - Congrats on deciding to do the HM.  It makes it much easier for me to stay motivated to train when I have a goal race to shoot for. 

I have done 3 workouts the past 2 days and am feeling good.  Got in my first outdoor ride since my race and I felt no pain at all.  Gonna run after work today, then have 1 swim, 1 run, and 2 more rides scheduled this week.

Yeah Tim, I did not know that!  I am learning as I go along.  She saw that I did 20, 20, 22, 22, 24, and 24 and really told me I need to decrease this week by 75%.  I figure it is all good because then I can build again for 3 weeks and then our vacation week down the sure just happens to be a rest week!!  I could not have planned that better because my only choice is running outside and who knows how hot and humid it may be that week. 

Way to go on the 3 workouts!! 
2010-06-02 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2896030

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
debbiereid06 - 2010-06-02 5:54 AM My goal for this week is to stick with my training schedule.  So far so good!  I have done the past three days, tomorrow rest, Fri & Sat. run and sunday rest. 

Awesome, you will do great!! 
2010-06-02 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
My leg is getting better, but I haven't been out for a run since last Thursday, when my calf started seizing up again near the end of my run.  The lump is definately much smaller and I am seeing my MT again on Friday, so I'll get out for a run tomorrow night, knowing if anything crops up I'll be seeing him the next day.

I've been feeling a bit sluggish and complacement lately, I can actually see how it would be so easy to fall into that lazy rut again.  I see myself justifying not doing something because I worked really hard the last few months and I have an injury, but I know I could be doing things that don't require heavy use of my calf. So I am resolving to continue the healing of my calf, and until I can increase my running again, I will step it up on the biking and strength training!  Now if it would only stop raining here and I could get my bike outside, it would be better:-)
2010-06-02 3:39 PM

User image

Regular
Hey guys :D  Back in Cali for a few days. Had a great run this morning and did some weights.  I need it! All this traveling has made me bump up a few pounds  I am trying to be good but it's tough!!! I am going camping Friday too and I have another Tri next Saturday... so I need to get to work. :D  I hope everyone is doing well. ;D

2010-06-03 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Courtney - is the traveling for fun or business?  Keep it up, it is always tough (for me anyway) staying motivated while traveling. 

So we've all made it to Thur.  I slept terribly last night but I packed my bike up and brought it to work so I will get it in. 

So what is the farthest you have traveled  (or are willing to travel) for a race? 

I've only done ones in my general area with the farthest being about 1.5hrs away.  I did do a bike ride several years ago back in my hometown which is about 3hrs away, but I had gone up to visit the family and just did the ride while I was there.  I've never stayed in a hotel for a race, but I have been looking into it lately.  Just taking a small weekend trip somewhere not too far away and just do a small local race.  I live in a big (tri friendly) city, for which I really like, but the races are always full and have lots of people (usually minimum of 700 or so) and are super competitive.  I just want to go race in some small town tri where there is like a couple of hundred people and just enjoy myself and not have it be so crowded. 
2010-06-03 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
TGITh, right?  Means we all made it past hump day, and can look ahead to the weekend!  YAY!

Well, seeing as I haven't ever done a race, I can't say that I've traveled too far.  But I am going to, depending on your definition of travel.  The 2 races that I've signed up for so far this summer are about 7 hrs away from where I currently live...  But they're only 2 hours from my home town, and both are within about 40 minutes of my cottage (one being 5 mins away), so it's a complicated question for me!  hahaha.  I'm thinking of moving back home in the new year, though, so that'd make these races only around 2 hours away.

I'll be traveling to Detroit to do my first mary next year.  That's about 4 hours away.  I definitely love hotels, so I can see myself traveling for a lot of races.  Especially when I get into IMs.  I haven't looked into them yet, but I imagine I'll do Lake Placid or something like that, maybe the Florida 70.3, who really knows.  The world is my oyster!  haha
2010-06-03 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Yes, happy thursday!  I  too had a crappy night sleep, in fact the last 3 nights have been bad, since the dog has decided that he now needs to go out at 2:30 in the morning.  It only takes a few minutes, but I'm having a hard time getting back to sleep after.  I've stopped giving him food/water close to bed time and always take him out before I call it a night, I'm hoping he just feels a little under the weather and this will blow over.

All 3 races I have done recently were local, so minimal travel required, and definately no hotel room, but my Marathon in the fall is over on Vancouver Island, so that means an hour trip to the ferry, 1.5 hrs on the ferry and then another hour to the hotel, so not a crazy distance, but because of the ferry, we definately have to be there the night before to be ready for the 7am start.  My husband did this race last year as his first marathon and we had  a coupon for a free nights stay for the hotel that is right beside the start line, so we figured why not!  In August we will be making the 4-5 hour drive to volunteer for Iron Man Canada for 3 days, really looking forward to that experience and hubby is going to be signing up for next years IMC.

I'd love to do a race over in Europe the next time I go to visit my family too.
2010-06-03 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
What I have done has been local.  The tri I did last year was about 90 minutes away but we went to a friend's house the night before.  The 10 mile run I have down twice is also 90 minutes away but ends 2 miles from our house down the shore so we head there the day before.  The marathon in November is in Philly, bout 20 minutes from home.
2010-06-03 6:53 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Wow, I feel like I've missed a lot this week! 

Debbie - I'm happy for you that you're signing up for a HM!  I know when you try getting back on the bike, you'll end up loving it, but everything takes time.

Meggan - Good idea!  It's so important to take time off, as I've been realizing lately.  But I'm so impressed with how much mileage you've put in!  I'll get there someday!

T1 - Ryan and I have talked about traveling a lot of places for tri's, just for fun.  We think that will probably always be incorporated into our vacations.  However, I've never done one, and have none planned (yet), so I'm not a good one to ask!

So, this week has been just awful for me.  I've had some "issues"which have seriously caused me to feel sick to my stomach.  Then I got my grades back from last semester, and I'm ticked about how poorly I did!  And on top of that, we're trying to find an apartment in West Bend, and it is not easy.  Every place that we've liked doesn't allow dogs, and we wouldn't give up our dog for the world.  We fell in love with this one condo, but the HOA wouldn't approve Nadie for some reason (we think they are starting to only allow small dogs, not bigger ones, but I dunno).  When I found out we couldn't move in there, I just started bawling.  Now, we have to look a little out of our price range because nothing in our price range will allow her.  And everything under our price range, I have a really hard time seeing us in.  Maybe I'm too picky, but we're a married couple, not college students in a "crash pad" apartment.  What do you guys think? 

*phew* Now that that's done, I do need to keep up on 3 runs/week.  The last two weeks I've been slacking, so I need you guys to keep me honest!

Thanks!

2010-06-03 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Hey guys - just wanted to drop a quick note that everything is good with me.  I ended up going to my place in Wisconsin for the holiday weekend and had big ambitions to get alot of workouts in but ended up with a big fat ZERO -haha.  I had a great time boating and hanging out the wife and kids - felt guilty about it for a while but then thought - hey
I deserve a break every once in a while right?

I have been swamped at work this week and have not been able to log training or check forum so I will have to do some catching up later.  Hope everyone is good and training is going good!

Tim
2010-06-04 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Erica - That sucks about these places not allowing bigger dogs.  I have seen a lot of that around here too and it is a very dog friendly area.  One thing I've known some friends to do is to seriously sit down with management at these places and offer to put down a bigger deposit.  Let them know you really love the place and are the awesome dog owner who keeps their dog on a leash and picks up all the poop.  It might suck putting down more money but if you really like the place you'll spend less that way than moving into a more expensive place.  It might be worth a shot as it has worked occasionally for my friends.  Remember too this doesn't have to be your dream place.  Find a place you can live with for now, save some money, then down the road you can move into a nicer place.  Just my useless 2 cents!

Tim - Don't fret at all about taking some time off, especially getting to spend time with the family.  Glad you enjoyed it.  Recharging after a race helps me get motivated for the next one.  Hope work gets easier for ya.
2010-06-04 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Officially done with my old school and am on summer vacation!!!  WhooooHoooo!  Headed to the cardinals game tonight!
2010-06-04 5:58 PM
in reply to: #2901881

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
debbiereid06 - 2010-06-04 2:57 PM Officially done with my old school and am on summer vacation!!!  WhooooHoooo!  Headed to the cardinals game tonight!

Lucky you!  have a great weekend and enjoy the game tonight!!
2010-06-05 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2898681

User image

Expert

So what is the farthest you have traveled  (or are willing to travel) for a race? 

My tri two weeks ago was 3 hours away.  It ended up being a nice little family trip.  I always stay at hotels for any races in downtown Chicago since I live in the burbs about 1 hour away so I am pretty used to staying in hotels before races.  Just need to bring all the comforts of home and make sure to get a good nights sleep 2 nights before the race at home since I usually don't sleep well in hotels.

My next tri at the end of the month will be a new adventure as there were no available hotels in the area so we are CAMPING!!  My wife is not crazy about it but i think it might be fun.  The swim start and transition area is literally across the street from campground so it should be a fairly stress free morning.

2010-06-07 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Just finished reading this book - The Perfect Distance.  Kinda geared more towards the 1/2 Ironman race distance but I found a ton of useful stuff about all three sports.  Good read if you get a chance:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Distance-Long-Course-Triathlons-Multisport/dp/1931382948
2010-06-07 12:46 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
I just realized our next few weekends are crazy busy and not much time for training!  This weekend we are heading about an hour from home Friday evening to have dinner with a bunch of my college buddies.  One of the guys and his family leaves for Okinawa in July for a few years.  We are spending the night and probably heading to the shore late Saturday morning.  The boys will already be there with my inlaws.  So I lose Friday and maybe Saturday.  John claims he will be hungover and will want to sleep in Saturday morning.  I am going to see what the hotel has in the way of a gym.  The following weekend is Logan's 2nd birthday party on Saturday and Father's Day on Sunday. 

I definitely have to plan my weeks out now!!
2010-06-07 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Quiet Monday.  I apologize as I've been out of the office most of the day and now I am about to go home.  My training has been back on track and finally got a good nights sleep last night.  Gotta get in a quick run when I get home, then the wife and I are heading to the AHL Finals hockey game tonight (go Texas Stars!).  My training feels like it is finally back on track as well.  Have my big race planned in about 2 weeks, so I this is my last week to hit it hard.  Then a few days after my race, we are headed to the colorado mountains to relax and enjoy some cooler weather.  We are in the steady upper 90s already.

I will try to check up on everyone tomorrow.

Edited by chichitao 2010-06-07 3:23 PM
2010-06-08 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey all!  It was a crazy weekend....my sister got engaged!  I am super excited for her.  So here is my dilemma (sp?) They want to get married in May, great...I don't want to be pregnant...not great.  So that means I need to start trying now.  Wasn't ready, but am okay with it.  Should I still shoot to do the 1/2 in October?  I think if I take it easy and plan to maybe walk some of it I should be fine.  My dr. seems to think if I am running now and stop my body won't know what to do and I should keep exercising.  I guess if I increase slowly I think I should be okay.  Help!  Suggestions???  And really it all depends on how fast I get pregnant.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103