BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-02-03 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3256691

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED
this week feels like it's been all about the mail for me....

still waiting on my shoes to arrive from the states....
now i've ordered a pair of pedals (shimano ultegra) which will arrive at SOME point (i'm hoping!) before the end of the month....

& TODAY i just dropped my race entry forms into the mail!
July will be a quiet month (apart from lots of training...)
but looks like my 2011 race season is pretty well set now!
(just awaiting confirmation from the other end)

so... a rest day... but a productive one.

2011-02-03 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3336859

User image

Elite
SE
Work has been a pain here this week too. I'm not sure about training on a ski week other than sticking to your normal plan as best as possible but allowing yourself some flexibilty where possible. Will there be a treadmill or place to run? Can you bring your bike and trainer? You seem pretty strong swimming so you can leave that out
2011-02-03 3:39 PM

User image

Master
I'm staying at a Spa and they advertise a "state of the art" workout facility. After a long day of skiing and a quick trip to the bar, the treadmill will be tough. Bringing my own bike and trainer along with a high maintenance wife, 2 kids, skis, boots, poles. helmets and luggage, especially considering the recent baggage charges, would be a nightmare.

It looks like swimming will probably end up as my only work-out other than skiing. A Speedo and goggles don't take up much room in a suitcase. I will still pack my running stuff and pedals/shoes just in case. 
2011-02-03 5:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Killer work week for me, too.  I'm finishing my PhD (like 2 months or less away from being completely done...I was supposed to be done last year. Long story involving my collaborators not coming through on their part and me scrambling to come up with alternative strategies) and everything is crazy right now.  However, I'm "writing" today and Friday and decided to head to San Diego to write, since I hadn't seen my bf in over a month.  It's gorgeous here and sunny and I rode 34 miles along Hwy 101 through Del Mar, Solana Beach, Carlsbad.  So amazing to smell salt water and look at the ocean while riding.  Can't wait til I'm here for good.  Soon.  Also swam about 2000 yards today.  I'm going to try to hit this weekend hard to make up for the weenie start to the week.  Sorry about all the bad weather, but I'll think of you all while I'm riding here:

(photo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
photo.jpg (48KB - 4 downloads)
2011-02-03 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3337936

User image

Elite
SE
state of the art means stationary bike and treadmill! You are good to go as much as your body can hack!

that pic is awesome nerdjock. sucks about your PhD story and long distance relationnships but you have to be happy about where you are heading!
2011-02-03 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3338161

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
phatknot - 2011-02-03 3:25 PM  

that pic is awesome nerdjock. sucks about your PhD story and long distance relationnships but you have to be happy about where you are heading!

Oh yes, everything is heading in the right direction.  I feel very positively about the future and I'm having fun now, too.  Eternal optimist here Laughing 

2011-02-03 7:14 PM

User image

Master
I love that attitude. You only go through life once so you might as well have fun doing it. Unless your Buddhist.
2011-02-04 6:20 AM

User image

Elite
SE
I'm down with using this bag of bones up before I get flung into a body of water or into the a box in the ground too. Kind of like how I like to race. Don't leave anything left in the tank haha.

I contacted one of the mentor's who had direct links set up to all the mentees and the mentor's page as well as the mentor thread about how to set up that link. His name is joemac3 and hopefully he can give us the language to program that in for us.

How's your week going? How's our injuries, weather, weight loss going? haven't heard from some of you guys in a bit so give us a check in! Today Slayer is going for the quad! Swim then strength > bike then run. Bike is V02 max intervals then an easy 4 miler. Could be a tough but needed day after that hellacious work week....

I liked this blog:
http://fastatforty.blogspot.com/2011/02/older-and-wiser.html#more />

Edited by phatknot 2011-02-04 6:49 AM
2011-02-04 11:30 AM

User image

Master
The weather here sux. Freezing rain an 34 degrees. Today was supposed to be a recovery/ski day. I bailed on the skiing due to the weather and instead spent 2 hour on the trainer watching Spinnerval#9 No Mercy.

Long run tomorrow
Long ride Sunday.

Swim some time in the future
2011-02-04 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3338131

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
nerdjock - 2011-02-03 6:02 PM Killer work week for me, too.  I'm finishing my PhD (like 2 months or less away from being completely done...I was supposed to be done last year. Long story involving my collaborators not coming through on their part and me scrambling to come up with alternative strategies) and everything is crazy right now.  However, I'm "writing" today and Friday and decided to head to San Diego to write, since I hadn't seen my bf in over a month.  It's gorgeous here and sunny and I rode 34 miles along Hwy 101 through Del Mar, Solana Beach, Carlsbad.  So amazing to smell salt water and look at the ocean while riding.  Can't wait til I'm here for good.  Soon.  Also swam about 2000 yards today.  I'm going to try to hit this weekend hard to make up for the weenie start to the week.  Sorry about all the bad weather, but I'll think of you all while I'm riding here:

Oh man - amazing!  Both your determination and the view!  Enjoy the weekend!
2011-02-04 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3338612

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
phatknot - 2011-02-04 7:20 AM I'm down with using this bag of bones up before I get flung into a body of water or into the a box in the ground too. Kind of like how I like to race. Don't leave anything left in the tank haha.

I contacted one of the mentor's who had direct links set up to all the mentees and the mentor's page as well as the mentor thread about how to set up that link. His name is joemac3 and hopefully he can give us the language to program that in for us.

How's your week going? How's our injuries, weather, weight loss going? haven't heard from some of you guys in a bit so give us a check in! Today Slayer is going for the quad! Swim then strength > bike then run. Bike is V02 max intervals then an easy 4 miler. Could be a tough but needed day after that hellacious work week....

I liked this blog:
http://fastatforty.blogspot.com/2011/02/older-and-wiser.html#more

Thanks for posting the blog Phat.  As an older athlete I think I have learned most of those lessons and am pretty good about following them. 

Funny about the guilt regarding missed workouts.  I have not had a day off in 3 weeks and I emailed Coach last night and told him I wasn't running in 30 degree rain and I was tired anyway.  But man I was feeling guilty and it wasn't even the day I would miss the work out.  Coach emailed back and said that I'm supposed to take a day off when I need it and not to make the workout up.  Funny coming from him I felt relieved and no longer stressed about missing.  Cause it was someone else saying don't do it.  Not me "whimping" out!

No missed workouts this week (till today)!

I have a longish bike on Saturday and 1:20 run on Sunday.  May switch them up as tomorrow is supposed to be not as nice as Sunday.

So - who are you rooting for at the Super Bowl?  And everyone have plans that probably includes way too much junk food?

Edited to say I could care less who wins the Super Bowl.  All I care about is hanging out and having fun.  I'll root for whoever my Dad bet on!

Edited by Lisa B 2011-02-04 11:48 AM

2011-02-04 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3339317

User image

Elite
SE
I hate missing workouts but you are right Lisab. When the coach excuses it, it seems ok.

Gotta go with the Steelers on this one with a stepDad from steel town. We have no big plans for the bowl but got a killer invite. Shame its in the ATL and that means driving 3 hours altogether. Probably have to pass.

Got my swim and strength done and now have to go hit the dungeon for a brick on the trainer and treadmill. Peter is right. this weather has been craptastic but it could be much worse. Hope I won't be blowing chunks of pasta up during the Vo2 max intervals.

Tonight its the Daddy daughter Dance at the primary school. will try to get a picture to post the Slayers in action haha. still havent heard from some of you. Lets get a check in!
2011-02-04 3:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
last lazy day for me this week...
3hr spin challenge on for tomorrow

tonight....i  EAT!
(& Sunday too)

wow. not a great week for training. Embarassed
back at it next week!
2011-02-04 7:18 PM

User image

Righto ... I guess it's time for me to check in!!

I've had a decent-ish week and a couple of breakthroughs.
I finally cracked an avg 7min/km ... (don't laugh). I was a bit pleased with myself.

And also, I'd been freaking out about my 750m swim in three weeks' time because I haven't been swim training ... can I hear snickering?
So I decided to swim a 750m TT, just to see if 1. I could do it; and 2. I was going to die of a heart attack during the first leg of the race.

Turns out I'm stronger than I thought. I got to 500m and was feeling comfortable so I changed goals and swam a straight 1km (in 24mins ... again, no laughing please) ... so I am feeling a bit better about it. Especially considering all the training I haven't been doing.

Amazing what a little bit of confidence can do. I now have no doubts that I can finish in one piece. I am still expecting to be stone-cold, stinking dead last, but I'll be in one piece at least.

Today: I ran and felt really good (and beat the boys home ... they were riding their bikes and gave me a head-start).
Tonight: a bike in front of the TV when the little bloke goes to bed.

Tomorrow (Sunday): ... I work Frown but I will try to get something done before I go.

Hope everyone has an ace weekend!!

Em Wink

2011-02-04 7:30 PM
in reply to: #3339643

User image

Elite
SE
Rock on Em and you better bring it tomorrow nicruns!

The guy sent me the following directions on how to do the hotlinks for the mentor thread if anyone knows what to do from here:

sorry the code didn't display
click here for how to create hotlinks
2011-02-05 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Woke up to freezing rain. Recovery and Technique #23 on trainer. Weather is better now so may try and run tomorrow.

2011-02-05 1:30 PM

The little tyrant who runs my house said no to the gym yesterday, so I snuck out today.  I am starting up the run again and taking it slow.  I am going to skip my morning to sleep in tomorrow (!) to go to spin class in the morning.  Now that I said it out loud (OK typed it online) I really mean it.  This week was good and I am 1/2 pound away from not being Athena-eligible.  Next week looks busy with work, but I will make it work.
2011-02-05 7:02 PM

Ok I hope the Athena thing didn't sound wrong.  I would love to race Athena if I had any muscle on me at all.  As it is, I am sort of squishy (for lack of a better word) and I feel decidedly un-goddesslike in tri shorts.
2011-02-05 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3340960

User image

Elite
SE
Nothing to be ashamed of. We all want to be svelte!

I was having a self pity party for most of today. Got my easy run in during the cold rain but then blew off my swim because i was tired and just didn't want to go back in the pool after yesterday.

These days, i dont allow myself much recovery time and then it backfires on me. Yesterday was siiiiick but today i was a wuss. ate too much and moped. gotta hit a 60/4 brick tomorrow to make up for it. lets keep pushing through the doldrums everyone.

anyone wanting to talk about anything different. my thoughts lately have been on kids tris. we have quite a few more this year. hope i can get my kids to at least two. also trying to get a youth tri squad up and running locally with my sponsorship but the folks I am delegating too are not running with it yet.
2011-02-05 10:06 PM

User image

Master
FWIW the South Carolina Tri-series is offering a free kids admission for a paid adult. I have been considering having my son do one. I'm not sure about an OWS but a pool swim may be OK. He has done the kids distance but not a sprint. Paris Island is 6 weeks off. I doubt my son will be ready but I'm sure I will be. I just need to get running
2011-02-06 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Mini brick today. Fell apart after 2 hours. I didn't carry any nutrition which turned out to be a mistake. It's better to screw up now then in 10 weeks during my HIM

2011-02-06 2:20 PM

So I went to the early morning spinning class this morning with an instructor I have never taken a class with before. The lunch ride lady is awesome as she rides in the real world and I was hoping this class would be like that one.  It was pretty hopping with a good mix of people and I was optimistic I would get in a good ride.

Oh. My. Goodness.  It started with the music.  Some sort of sitar plinking away to start and then we heard like Isreali jazz or something.  She kept it super quiet which was awesome so you could hear her loud lamaze-like breathing.  Apparently we were supposed to be "breathing from the bottom of your bronchioles!!"  And ever weird, cliche, non-biking thing you could do, they did.  Jumps? Check.  Set it to 24 resistance and cadence of 24? Check.  Pelvic thrust/hinge?  Oh yes!  Weird arm circles with the whooshing breathing?  You betcha.

I had to close my eyes!  I just knew I couldn't keep the look of horror off of my face.  I was terrified to make eye contact with anyone because I refused to do it and I was just waiting for her to say something (to her credit she just ignored me).  I am sure it was a good workout, but it was just aerobics with the bike as a prop.  It was the most awkward hour I have ever spent in the gym (and that is saying something.

Note to self: Sleep in next Sunday.
2011-02-06 5:47 PM
in reply to: #3341526

User image

Elite
SE
dang slokat, thats a story right there! glad that didnt happen to me.

peter, shanks threw on my workout today to start locking in nutrition early this year so i took my brick with a 2.5 hour bottle of nutrition and loaded down beforehand with a powerbar, a banana and one of those massive calorie protein shakes from GNC. I also took ample fluids down the dungeon so I held up pretty well thanks to the reminder. for me on longer days like today its about 225cals of carbo pro mixed with powerbar perform per hour and i may chew some of those gu blocks and drink either nathan/nuun tabs as needed to take the edge off. what are you using?

its been a weird weekend here in athens. how are y'all doing?
2011-02-06 6:08 PM

User image

Master
You can use me as a bad example as to what not to do. I drank a double coffee and 2 bottles of water on the trainer. Headed outside and ran. At 1 1/2 hours realized I had a problem but was 3.5 miles from my house. I have plenty of gels, crackers, shot blocks, and paydays at home but had none on me. I have done the run many times with no nutrition and no problems but the anaerobic bike ride must have depleted me a little more than I expected. 

Slokat'

I feel your pain. Next time I would just do a TT and forget about what is going on around you. It takes a couple of trips to the gym spin class to realize you are better off training at home to your own music
2011-02-07 7:56 AM

User image

Elite
SE
How y'all doin? I want to see whats going on with you.

I have to decide whether to keep strength training on Mondays at 630am. i have it on Fridays at 1030 am allowing a good workout beforehand and it works pretty well.

Mondays are a swim day and the weights keep getting in the way. I suppose I get more value from the swim so I may have to get rid of the weights Mondays but i am finally getting to see some of my abs again after a long bout of winter blubber. Its tough to drop stuff. i prefer adding it 8)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38