BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2011-03-16 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3256799

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
Subject: RE: Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED

Pretty quiet around here lately.  I hope everyone's doing alright.  Must be you're all too busy training to post to the forum. 

Guess I should get back to work!

2011-03-16 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3400606

User image

Regular
Trout - 2011-03-16 2:19 PM

Pretty quiet around here lately.  I hope everyone's doing alright.  Must be you're all too busy training to post to the forum. 

Guess I should get back to work!

It has been, I missed 4 days of training for a weekend of camping. Now I'm back though and should have solid weekends without interruptions.

I'm also commuting to work tomorrow on the bike! First time so we'll see how it goes, should be 15 miles each way. Gonna go easy in the morning and then do some intervals on the way home not sure what yet but I'll dream something up along the way. I cleaned and lubed the bike last week, and I bought a back red light that blinks like crazy. The roads I'm riding for 75% of the ride has a sidewalk off the road that is smooth to bike on so I'm thankful for that. The last couple miles are on a smaller road with a good bike lane so that isn't bad either.

Friday will be a pool day for me then saturday brick with 37 bike and maybe just 2 mile run to get something in on the run. Sunday will be another day in the pool.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

2011-03-17 6:07 AM

User image

Tyler,
I thought it has been quite around here too.  I've been so busy w/ training and school.
2011-03-17 5:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish

I'm limping around right now due to a very aggravated pain in my left hip.  I'm pretty sure it's IT band related as I can feel a "click" with every step I take.  Lots of stretching in my future.  Since I can't even walk without pain right now I'm thinking running is out of the question, but I did my swim this morning without increased aggravation and will try the bike tonight.  Hopefully a few days of rest will take care of it.  I swear though, it's always something.  My body really prefers pretending to be a potato.

2011-03-17 7:20 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

I have missed 2 swims this week, but I plan on going tomorrow.  I am out of sync without working all week.  I need more swim miles

2011-03-18 6:21 AM

User image

Tyler,

While it's been quite all week another weekend is here. What are you all up to?

Friday: Race prep run of 25 min easy + drills

Saturday: Longview Half Marathon + 30 min spin

Sunday: 2-4 hr bike.

2011-03-18 4:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish

My weekend will consist of sitting on ice packs on the couch per my chiropractor's orders.

My butt pain from Wednesday turned into excruciating pain last night which included periodic stabbing bolts of lightning down my leg.  Hobbled to the chiro like an old lady in need of a hip replacement and found out that I'm royally messed up right now.

In addition to an ITBS flare-up with a case of bursitis, I also knocked my sacral illiac out of position so that my pelvis is on an angle causing my left hip to be lower than my right.  That, in turn, twisted my L4 and all of it together has caused intermittent pinching of my sciatic nerve.  Oh, and there's a possibility of a stress fracture somewhere in that mess.

I'm optimistically telling myself that there's no way I could do all that AND a stress fracture and have all them of start acting up on the same day.  My chiropractor also feels that the likelihood of a SF isn't that high so she did an adjustment, u/s and Graston today.  Praying that I see some improvement this weekend because if I don't I'm off to get x-rayed on Monday. 

In the meantime, she wants me off my feet so I don't undo the work she did today.  If all goes well she will hopefully be clearing me for biking and swimming next week.

2011-03-18 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

wow Allison, were you hit by a truck? please take it easy and listen to the Dr's. Pushing it could make it worse.

My weekend plans include a 2.5 - 3 hour bike plus I am going to try and get a swim in. Although I am really itching to run, and my shin does feel better I am desperately trying to NOT RUN until next weekend. I might go for a good walk though. I have also been doing my shin exercises and stretching to try and repair and prevent shin injury.

2011-03-18 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3404319

User image

Regular

Today- was 1,000 in the pool which went pretty well. Then I got to buy my new SIDI tri shoes and also purchased pedals on amazon, some Look Keo Easy's (really cheap).

Saturday- 37 on the bike then maybe off to run 2 miles if I have anything left. Then going to a local Tri store we found in Fort Myers!

Sunday- hopefully 1,200 in the pool to add some distance to the swim since I've been around 1,000 for a while now (or so it seems). Then an easy 15-20 w/my wife to get her a bike ride in for the week.

Busy weekend for me! Hope everyone gets out there and trains hard!

2011-03-18 11:28 PM
in reply to: #3404098

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
thndrcloud - 2011-03-18 4:19 PM

My weekend will consist of sitting on ice packs on the couch per my chiropractor's orders.

My butt pain from Wednesday turned into excruciating pain last night which included periodic stabbing bolts of lightning down my leg.  Hobbled to the chiro like an old lady in need of a hip replacement and found out that I'm royally messed up right now.

In addition to an ITBS flare-up with a case of bursitis, I also knocked my sacral illiac out of position so that my pelvis is on an angle causing my left hip to be lower than my right.  That, in turn, twisted my L4 and all of it together has caused intermittent pinching of my sciatic nerve.  Oh, and there's a possibility of a stress fracture somewhere in that mess.

I'm optimistically telling myself that there's no way I could do all that AND a stress fracture and have all them of start acting up on the same day.  My chiropractor also feels that the likelihood of a SF isn't that high so she did an adjustment, u/s and Graston today.  Praying that I see some improvement this weekend because if I don't I'm off to get x-rayed on Monday. 

In the meantime, she wants me off my feet so I don't undo the work she did today.  If all goes well she will hopefully be clearing me for biking and swimming next week.

Wow Alison, I am so feeling your pain, literally...my right booty is super owie wrong and I am trying to figure out what is going on...I'm doing the ortho angle b/c I want to rule out weird anatomy issues before I go the PT route.  I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, keep us up to date!

2011-03-19 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3404374

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
grownassman161 - 2011-03-18 9:11 PM

Today- was 1,000 in the pool which went pretty well.

Nice job, keep building!

2011-03-19 11:54 AM

Extreme Veteran

Crap! That's quite a bummer...but I feel like you do...I doubt you'd have all that and stress fracture. Get some good rest now and hopefully you can get back to the pool and on the bike soon.

2011-03-19 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3404374

Extreme Veteran

Awesome job making improvements in the water...keep it up!

I'm jealous of your new Sidi's...get a long bike session in soon and enjoy them!

grownassman161 - 2011-03-18 9:11 PM

Today- was 1,000 in the pool which went pretty well. Then I got to buy my new SIDI tri shoes and also purchased pedals on amazon, some Look Keo Easy's (really cheap).

Saturday- 37 on the bike then maybe off to run 2 miles if I have anything left. Then going to a local Tri store we found in Fort Myers!

Sunday- hopefully 1,200 in the pool to add some distance to the swim since I've been around 1,000 for a while now (or so it seems). Then an easy 15-20 w/my wife to get her a bike ride in for the week.

Busy weekend for me! Hope everyone gets out there and trains hard!

2011-03-19 11:59 AM

Extreme Veteran

My "weekend" of training is about to wrap up later this afternoon with 3300 in the pool (which includes 3 sets of 100 IMs...I LOVE swimming IMs...no sarcasm!). Just finished 40 miles on the bike this morning and have put in a couple long runs this week. The taper is approaching and I could not be happier about that.

Tomorrow is the first scheduled rest day after 49 consecutive days of some type of training, with quite a few 2-a-days along the way. I'm looking forward to relaxation and enjoying the last day of spring break. I'm also thinking about enjoying some good homecooked food and maybe a couple adult beverages throughout the day since it will be my splurge day anyway.

2011-03-19 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3404674

User image

Regular

waiting on a new pair of Look Keo easy's to arrive then I'll do a couple long rides in them with socks on, then switch to sockless, the inside is so soft though I've been wearing them while I sit on the couch.

roadrhino - 2011-03-19 12:55 PM

Awesome job making improvements in the water...keep it up!

I'm jealous of your new Sidi's...get a long bike session in soon and enjoy them!

2011-03-19 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3404677

User image

Regular

I'm in awe of everything in this post... 49 consecutive days w/ some being 2/days, 3300 in the pool. Question though what are IMs? and 40 miles on the bike sounds like you're training good.

What distance is your race? I love tapering too...You get that giddy and fresh feeling. I'd compare it to a mouse trap ready to go off, at least that's what I remember of my running days! Hope all goes well for you

roadrhino - 2011-03-19 12:59 PM

My "weekend" of training is about to wrap up later this afternoon with 3300 in the pool (which includes 3 sets of 100 IMs...I LOVE swimming IMs...no sarcasm!). Just finished 40 miles on the bike this morning and have put in a couple long runs this week. The taper is approaching and I could not be happier about that.

Tomorrow is the first scheduled rest day after 49 consecutive days of some type of training, with quite a few 2-a-days along the way. I'm looking forward to relaxation and enjoying the last day of spring break. I'm also thinking about enjoying some good homecooked food and maybe a couple adult beverages throughout the day since it will be my splurge day anyway.

2011-03-19 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3404770

Extreme Veteran

Haha...I'm training for a HIM and learned a lot of lessons after the first time last year, so I really made a committment to train more and train better this year so I go into the race more prepared.

An IM in swimming is the Individual Medley. It incorporates the 4 primary strokes consecutively: butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, freestyle. So my 100s today were 25 of each stroke per 100. It's a tough challenge, especially as demanding as butterfly is to start off the set. But I really enjoy doing IM and butterfly. I did a few swim meets this past summer and really focused on those two events.

grownassman161 - 2011-03-19 2:11 PM

I'm in awe of everything in this post... 49 consecutive days w/ some being 2/days, 3300 in the pool. Question though what are IMs? and 40 miles on the bike sounds like you're training good.

What distance is your race? I love tapering too...You get that giddy and fresh feeling. I'd compare it to a mouse trap ready to go off, at least that's what I remember of my running days! Hope all goes well for you

2011-03-20 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3404990

User image

Regular

I was thinking it was the medley but didn't remember what all it was made up of though. I see how that would be demanding, but also how it would get some variation into the training routine and make you a stronger swimmer as well. 

roadrhino - 2011-03-19 8:09 PM

An IM in swimming is the Individual Medley. It incorporates the 4 primary strokes consecutively: butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, freestyle. So my 100s today were 25 of each stroke per 100. It's a tough challenge, especially as demanding as butterfly is to start off the set. But I really enjoy doing IM and butterfly. I did a few swim meets this past summer and really focused on those two events.

grownassman161 - 2011-03-19 2:11 PM

2011-03-20 5:27 PM

User image

Dallas, TX

Ouch!!!  I hope you get it worked out and back soon.  I'm in pain just reading itWink

I had an okay weekend.  Biked yesterday and biked/ran today.  The wind just about killed me.  It was 20 mph yesterday and much worse today.  A couple of times I thought I was going to blow over.  I'm still in limbo about my next race - sprint/oly.  I'm still trying to switch, but I have not heard anything from the race director - they have been ignoring my emails Yell  So I guess if I don;t hear anything, I'll suck it up and do the olympic, even though I'm not really ready for it.  My plan is to take it easy between now and the race - I've been feeling very exhausted lately.  I have 3 trips in the next two weeks, so I really don't have any choice but to back off.  

2011-03-21 6:11 AM

User image

Tyler,

Ouch it does sound like you were hit by a truck. take some time off and catch up on other activities. I've had ITBS before, and I maintain it with doing a series of stretches.

2011-03-21 6:14 AM

User image

Tyler,

Great to read your responses from this weekend. I did a half marathon this weekend to start the new season w/ and finished 4th overall in time of 1:15.38. My garmin said 13.24 miles, so maybe I could have broken 1:15 it was more accurate. I tried to stay with the leaders but fell off, and was by myself the whole race, but I could see 3rd place in site until about 7 miles. It was a challenging course with long up and down rollers.

Sunday out biking a bambi looking deer dashes across the highway and I couldn't get my bike stopped in time and I just hit the deer sent me laying on my sidel, so now my hip is sore too. I was going to finish my ride but my bars were off, so I had to get them aligned. But I am ok and the bike is ok too.

2011-03-21 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

Great job everyone with the training!  Also, congrats to William on a great race this weekend.

My first tri isn't until July so I'm just continuing to build up my base and starting to work in higher intensity things.  I rode the trainer on Friday and realized afterwards that my rear tire is about shredded.  So I need a new tire before I can ride on the trainer or otherwise.  The weather is slowly becoming more springlike so I may be able to get out for a ride pretty soon.

I only swam twice last week and my monthly total is at 12,400.  I have 10 days to get to my goal of 20k for the month.  Lunch swim planned for today.

2011-03-21 11:35 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
I was glad to get back to work today after being off for a week.  I had a nice swim this morning, but I still have lots of room to improve.  I am TIRED and stiff all over.  My body is getting pounded right now, but I have no signs of injury so I am sticking with it.  My plan calls for a easier week, but I am going at it hard so next week (race week) will be easier.  It is not my "A" race, but an Olympic I wanted to do in prepreation for IMTX.  I have a tough 6 weeks until taper, but it will be worth it come race day. 
2011-03-21 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

A couple of questions;

My shin does seem better after taking a week off and doing stretches and strengthening exercises and I might try to do a short run on Wednesday, hopefully on a path to minimize impact. I also bought some new shoes and some compression socks. I have a ½ marathon in 5 weeks, I am confidant in my endurance to do the distance and have completed it before (albeit slowly with a friend) Ideally I would like to see a time around 1:45. Assuming everything is fine, how much do I back off from my previous volumes to start to rebuild? Can I add in some hill and speed training or am I asking for trouble?

My Olympic training plan is coming to an end soon and my first event, a sprint, would be on June 5th and my first opportunity for an Olympic event would be June 19th. Would I be best to take a 16 week plan geared to the Olympic and lop off the first few weeks so it would fit?  Do I just continue on my current plans biggest month then just tapper towards the race?

2011-03-21 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish

Thanks for the healing vibes over the weekend.  I definitely feel better physically from the enforced rest.  I saw my chiropractor again this morning and she says I'm 50% improved, which is awesome because it means a) no stress fracture and b) I'll be running again sooner.  She did an adjustment and electrical stimulation this time.  At this point, the major source of pain is from the femur length bruising I have on each leg due to the Graston.  I'm still feeling pain in my lower back but she says that's a good sign as everything is centralizing.  I'm just taking her word on that one.

The really good news is that she cleared me for biking and swimming with the provision that I don't kick too hard in the pool.  Since my kick is barely strong enough to start my rotation I told her that wouldn't be a problem.  She made me promise that I won't try running before Friday when I should be at 70-80%.  I'm just excited that I might be able to run again before the end of the month!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28