BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2011-04-09 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3260273

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers)

I'd love to keep posting here, but I may look for an additional group as I think I need a more post filled mentor program to keep me pushing myself.

I did a 5K today with my 6yr old (He just turned 6 on Tuesday)

Last year when I did my first running race he really wanted to run too.  I knew that I couldn't have handled that at the time and I was pretty sure he couldn't either.  It was hilly and hot.  The course went around a lake, so there was no shortcut should we need to jump out of the race and simply head back to the car.  He's did the few hundred yard race after that race.

This year, when looking at races I saw what I thought would be a good oppurtunity for him to try out a race with me.  It was in the town I grew up in on small roads with little traffic and I guessed on some dirt roads through a nature area in town.  The charities for the race were the town PTO and pancreatic cancer, as a school nurse who was a runner had died last year of the disease and this was to be the first race in her honor.

The weather is great today.  It was around 50 for race time.  There were around 300 participants.  Each child got to be number "1".  We each got a tee shirt.  He wanted to line up a bit too far forward for my liking, but we found our place and the gun went off.  We "chugged" along and he stayed close to my side for the first little bit as the crowd thinned.  There was an early walk break that he initiated, but then we jogged around a number of walkers and continued on our way.  We walked and jogged for the entire 3.11 miles.  I found that left on his own he walked too slowly and would lag behind needing to run to catch back up to me, so I decided to hold his hand during walks to keep him at a steadier pace.  There was only one point where he was just ready for it to be done, but he recognized that we were almost there and he finished with a smile.

He was thirsty at the end (had sips at the 2 water tables) and is tired now, but he enjoyed himself.  He said that he thinks he'd like to do a 1/2 mile kids race next time instead.  But now he knows, both that he can do it and that it's not that easy.

2011-04-09 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Hi All,

I'm game for continuing on as long as Heidi is :-)  I will have some stretches in the coming months where I may not be able to post as often as I'd like, but we do have our "life juggling" name to live up to.

So, we'll open up a new board in the next couple of days and anyone who'd like to continue on with our group is welcome to join and we'll definitely hold a spot for you.  I would like to open the group up to some new folks too since we lost some people on the side of the road along the way. If you're ready to continue on your own or join another mentoring group, no problem at all, though don't be surprised if I stop by to see how you're doing a couple of times.  Several of you have big races / challenges and I'm really anxious to see how you do!

Also, please let Heidi and I know any suggestions or thoughts on how we can do a better job in our roles as mentors before we kick off the new board.  We're eager to learn as well!

Thanks again to all of you for your mutual support of everyone on the board.  We've all had our ups and downs during the past few months and it's always great to know we've got each other for to share the tough times and the celebrations!  Special thanks to my co-mentor, Heidi... so glad to see her back to running!

Happy Tri-als (hmmm... trails?)

Stu

2011-04-09 9:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Yay!  I'm definitely up for continuing with the group.  As Joanne said, I feel like I'm really getting to know you guys and I really do feel that everyone's been a great support. Laughing

And thanks to Heidi and Stu for being willing to continue.  I appreciate it's a commitment on your part.

Heidi - how did the 5k go?

Andrea - that's awesome what you've done with your son.  You've given him an apportunity to really achieve something, and it's been a valuable learning experience for him as well.  Hopefully he'll be a runner for life :-)

I'm having a couple of involuntary rest days.  I'm on late shifts at work (we call them "back shifts"), and because of the weird way they do it at weekends it means I've only got about 12 hours between each shift.  Once you factor in travel time, showering, breakfast (and on Saturday, my mother-in-law's birthday lunch) I don't really have time for anything else.  It's only the weekend that's affected, but it means I have to have a couple of days off.  But that's not really a bad thing.  I did a LOT last week, so 2 days rest, then the final push before I start tapering for the first sprint which is on 25th April.

Edited by chapfallen 2011-04-09 9:06 PM
2011-04-10 9:23 AM

User image

Expert

Andrea- Great job on the run, and having your son join you! My 8 year old is hooked on running with me, since we did a 5k on Thanksgiving.

My 5k went well. It is a new "post injury PB" for me. So, I'm happy with that. I'm still not close to where I was before I broke my foot in 2010. I will say that it was the weirdest venue I've ever run through. This is the race that went through a very depressed section of town. There were groups of people sitting on their front stoops, just watching us. On the entire course, maybe 3 people cheered us on. Every one else sat and watched in silence. I felt like we were not wanted there. Even the volunteers at the intersections acted as if we were invisible. There were so many other little things about the event, that weren't managed well, that it just didnt feel safe to me.

So, it isn't a race that I'll do again. 

Stu and I will post to the new SPring Mentor boards in the next day or two. Keep your eye out for us there, if you want to jump in again. We're hoping to get a few more active members, so we have some lively conversations going!

2011-04-11 7:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Still going here-

I'll hop on board if you guys keep going. I'm about to enter my big three races for the spring.

Life juggling means I do not get to hop into forums much- lucky if I manage to log my workouts!

GULP- my first HM is this weekend. Last year, when I was a mentor, I remember a friend training for her first HM and then doing it and me saying "Great Job - this is something I will never do." Eating those words. Weather forecast is for rainy and 40s. Since that is what I trained in, I'm happy about that.

Andrea, great job running with your son in the 5k!

Heidi- I'd scratch that race for next year too. YIKES.

Time to juggle life- kids on school bus, little ones forced into clothes....it's 70 and humid here and Saturday I ran in 40 degree temps, crazy Ohio weather.
2011-04-11 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

I am looking forward to the new mentor group starting up.  I really enjoy having others in the same boat "listen" to my ramblings of suffering through training.  Its good to have this discussion close as our winter ends and we can start up together with a new Spring beginning.  Stu and Heidi, you have done a great job! And I really enjoy my new friends! 

Update on the the new training program:  I did the first week including my new pilates class and I survived.  I didn't realize how much more I amped my training up until Saturday when I did the 8 mile run....just a few weeks ago that was what I ran in an entire week!  It went well but I was short an hour+ on the bike because I took Friday off.  The swimming is really coming along and though I have not officially timed myself I am finishing my training earlier.  Also, on that 8 mile run the last half mile I was actually running!  Wow!  So the first week was pretty good and though I was sore from pilates it felt good to push; I don't feel I am pushing that hard.

Great to meet everyone and I hope to see you on the next thread!

2011-04-12 2:47 PM

User image

Expert

Hi Everyone,

I've submitted our new thread in the staging area.  Look for us to pop out in the next day or two!

I'm really missing the running and biking.  I think I'm starting to grow gills :-)  But glad I can at least swim pain free.

Stu

2011-04-12 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran

I've had the "crazy" idea that I might do a 5 Mile race on 7/4. 

I'm looking at Higdon Novice 10K plan, but it's only 3 days a week and I have done the first 4 weeks of the 8 week plan with an additional day already, just by chance.  I looked at the intermediate, but it jumps to 5 days a week of running.  I don't really want to do that at this point, as I need to get biking.  I'm happy with 4 days.  I think I'll work on making an in between plan for myself.

Maybe my extra (4th day) could be 3is miles some weeks or hills on some weeks?  Any advice on hills?  How long should each hill be?  Do I jog back down or walk back down?  I have plenty of hill right up my driveway and the street that I am on...

2011-04-12 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3442803

User image

Expert
juneapple - 2011-04-12 3:47 PM

Hi Everyone,

I've submitted our new thread in the staging area.  Look for us to pop out in the next day or two!

I'm really missing the running and biking.  I think I'm starting to grow gills :-)  But glad I can at least swim pain free.

Stu

Yay!!

About going live- not about growing gils!

2011-04-12 7:19 PM

User image

Expert

I had the most fun run tonight! As I was heading out the door, Mack (my 8yo) asked if she could join me. So, we did a 2 mile course- we walked a couple of times, but she talked to me and told me stories the whole time. She was cracking me up! 

She started with, "If we see the ice cream truck, can we stop and get something?" and, it got funnier from there!

So, it was a short run, but it was fun!

2011-04-12 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3442942

User image

Expert
rustymom - 2011-04-12 4:51 PM

I've had the "crazy" idea that I might do a 5 Mile race on 7/4. 

I'm looking at Higdon Novice 10K plan, but it's only 3 days a week and I have done the first 4 weeks of the 8 week plan with an additional day already, just by chance.  I looked at the intermediate, but it jumps to 5 days a week of running.  I don't really want to do that at this point, as I need to get biking.  I'm happy with 4 days.  I think I'll work on making an in between plan for myself.

Maybe my extra (4th day) could be 3is miles some weeks or hills on some weeks?  Any advice on hills?  How long should each hill be?  Do I jog back down or walk back down?  I have plenty of hill right up my driveway and the street that I am on...

I like your "crazy" idea, Andrea.  Actually, based on where you are it should be a nice next challenge for you.  Not at all crazy :-(maybe a little if you want it to be!)

Hills are a great idea once / week.  There are a few thoughts on this website. My only suggestion is to walk or jog lightly on the way back down... going down the hills is really rough on the knees.  I'd probably try to start with something like a 3% grade for 1/10 mi or so and try to work up to 5% for 1/4 mi.

Good luck!

Stu

2011-04-13 6:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks, Stu. I definately think I can make the distance. I guess the idea that it's in July is part of what makes it seem even more challenging to me. I'm not confident about running in the heat. In addition, the race is during our vacation at the beach. It is a road race that goes around town and a lighthouse. I would need to get up and out of the neighborhood while my family prepares "floats" and/or bikes to be in the neighborhood "parade". It's really cute, but I've seen many so could probably miss it.
2011-04-14 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran

I'm going to try running at lunch today.  There's a rails-to-trails paved path behind my office a bit.  There is a shower in our building.  We'll see how it goes.

I skipped last night's 2 miler because I ate way too much spicy trail mix and was feeling full, full, full and lazy.  I didn't like that feeling, so I hope I can remember that feeling and not repeat that eating mistake.

2011-04-15 6:33 AM
in reply to: #3443723

User image

Expert

rustymom - 2011-04-13 7:13 AM Thanks, Stu. I definately think I can make the distance. I guess the idea that it's in July is part of what makes it seem even more challenging to me. I'm not confident about running in the heat. In addition, the race is during our vacation at the beach. It is a road race that goes around town and a lighthouse. I would need to get up and out of the neighborhood while my family prepares "floats" and/or bikes to be in the neighborhood "parade". It's really cute, but I've seen many so could probably miss it.

I have to admit, Andrea, I'm with you on the heat (and don't come to Virginia in the summer then!). If the beach is in CT, that ought to keep it a little cooler, esp. in the morning.  Sounds like a lovely place to run though :-)  Go4it!

One other quick thought on the hills... be careful that you don't hinge over if you lean into the run on the hills as it puts a strain on your back (something I'm acutely aware of recently).  Posture is always something I've been weak on - learn from my mistake!

Stu

2011-04-15 6:41 AM
in reply to: #3448008

User image

Expert

Still waiting on our re-launch on the board.  Until then, we'll just keep this board active.  Not quite sure how they determine when the mentor groups get launched... they seem to like to space them out some.

Who's racing this weekend?  I think Anne's got her first Half Mary - anyone else?

Stu

2011-04-15 8:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
yep - weather forecast keeps changing. right now it's going to be close to 40 and no rain. crossing my fingers it stays that way.

will report back Sunday! everyone have a great weekend! tummy is flippy and nervous- know I can do it but man am I nervous!

2011-04-15 9:53 AM

User image

Veteran

Anne, that sounds like a nice forecast.  I can't wait to read your report.  I'm sure that you'll have a fun experience.

I did run at lunch yesterday, 2.1 miles.  It was in the mid-60s and beautiful.  I did feel the heat though.  I'll have to keep working on adjusting to it.  I think I should keep this shorter mid-week run a lunch time run when possible and continue to run my longer run on Sunday outside near my house.

When I use my TM at home, I point a fan at myself to keep it comfortable, but I have no A/C and the TM is upstairs, so it will get warm as the weather warms up.

2011-04-15 2:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Good luck Anne.  Let us know how it goes.

Andrea - I agree that it's harder to run in the heat (what sort of heat do you get there?  Here, the high 70's is a hot day, and I know in many places that would be a nice cool summer...), but if you train for it you'll be fine.  Just like everything else it's a case of building up to it.  Drink plenty, and just get your body used to the level of exertion and the conditions that are expected of it.

I'm doing my HIM on 2nd July, so I'm hoping it's not too hot as well, but given the weather here, there's also always a small possibility it may snow!

2011-04-17 7:49 AM

User image

Veteran

Rachel-I live in southern New England, Connecticut to be more precise.  80s are common temperatures in June, July and August.  We do hit 100 occassionally and 3 days in a row over 90 is labelled as a heat wave.  It just depends on the summer, how it will be.  We do have some heat and humidity, but its nothing like the south eastern US. 

Stu-My brother lives in VA.  I've visited in August.  I would definately have trouble running in that.

I think I just need to run more in some heat and try to acclimate.  The A/C at work and everywhere else doesn't help me.  As you know, swimming was my thing as a youngster (well a little soccer too), so I'm only now adjusting to that sweaty, overheated feeling that comes this time of year.

2011-04-17 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
first half marathon, done.

2:49:31. This time includes 2 port-o-potty stops. I have a weak bladder- part of having given birth to 3 giant babies. I think about 10 minutes of that is port-o-potty waiting time.

weather- cold and gray, high wind advisory. gusting 40-50 mph winds, half the race into the wind, temps in the 30s with windchills below freezing.

I did it, it's done, I can not say I felt as great crossing that finish line as I do at the end of a sprint or Oly tri, and my oly last year was done in 3:30. I just do not like running for that long of a distance.

race report later.
2011-04-17 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3451219

User image

Expert

AKR18 - 2011-04-17 3:37 PM first half marathon, done. 2:49:31. This time includes 2 port-o-potty stops. I have a weak bladder- part of having given birth to 3 giant babies. I think about 10 minutes of that is port-o-potty waiting time. weather- cold and gray, high wind advisory. gusting 40-50 mph winds, half the race into the wind, temps in the 30s with windchills below freezing. I did it, it's done, I can not say I felt as great crossing that finish line as I do at the end of a sprint or Oly tri, and my oly last year was done in 3:30. I just do not like running for that long of a distance. race report later.

Great Job, Anne! Those sound like tough running conditions. I hope you get a well deserved nap-or maybe dinner made for you

2011-04-17 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3451219

User image

Expert

AKR18 - 2011-04-17 3:37 PM first half marathon, done. 2:49:31. This time includes 2 port-o-potty stops. I have a weak bladder- part of having given birth to 3 giant babies. I think about 10 minutes of that is port-o-potty waiting time. weather- cold and gray, high wind advisory. gusting 40-50 mph winds, half the race into the wind, temps in the 30s with windchills below freezing. I did it, it's done, I can not say I felt as great crossing that finish line as I do at the end of a sprint or Oly tri, and my oly last year was done in 3:30. I just do not like running for that long of a distance. race report later.

Congrats Anne.  Those do sound like conditions for staying in bed rather than running a HM... but you conquered it... bladder breaks and all... well done!  -Stu

2011-04-18 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3451625

User image

Expert
How are you feeling now, Anne?  Recovery okay?  How about the motivation factor?
2011-04-19 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran

Anne, I hope your recovery is going well. 

I'm running today and tomorrow and then off to Disney World for a few days.  Maybe I'll start acclimating to the heat while I'm there.  Tongue out Hmm, I guess not.  Anyway, there will be plenty of walking.

If we move to the new mentor section before I get back, please let me continue with this group.

Thanks,

Andrea

2011-04-19 6:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
2 days out, not so bad. A bit sore yesterday, did a little yoga but the tiny kids kept messing around. Today I had a long slow ride on the bike trainer and hope to fit in a run somehow tomorrow (if not, more trainer work).

First race did motivate me for the rest of the season- I've got the flying pig 4 person marathon relay in 2 weeks! But have to get through easter first- juggle juggle juggle.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers) Rss Feed  

of 26