BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-05-10 6:18 PM
in reply to: #3491691

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED
Kate - Glad they connect and it was just how things were planned on the day. I'm sure you'll do fine in the real thing now that you know the challenges. Noones going to have a go at you if you need to walk the bike up the hill either.

2011-05-10 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3492263

Extreme Veteran
Great improvement Curt
2011-05-11 4:11 AM
in reply to: #3294922

Extreme Veteran

Headed out for the station today and ended up doing a walk/run. Only 3 segments (1-across the supermarket drive way, 2- across a road and 3- 50 steps along a trail near the station) for a total of .51 miles (if I've mapped right.) It took me about 11 mins (guessing my time because I didn't check my phone (watch) after the last bit)to get to where the concrete of the bus stops start which is what it normally takes me to get from the road on my side of the station home, so it made me faster at least. I'm thinking I may add some short run/walks in to my schedule as speed work before starting an official run/walk program though.

2011-05-11 6:19 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Today was swim drills/form day for me. Had gone to the pool looking to do a main set of 12x100, but after doing a warm up & a couple 100's, I decided I needed form work. And lots of it. Ended up doing a 16x50 set of nothing but drills (as well as a few other 100's), concentrating on streamlining, balance, and pull. I also upped the tempo at which I swam to a point where I was really working. One thing I did today which I'd not much of in the past was to use fins on a couple sets of drills. This helped me immensely with the 'feel' of how I should be balanced in the water, as the fins helped get my legs up. Once I ditched the fins, I had a great feel for being streamlined & balanced in the water. As I worked on, I could tell things were getting better. My average time per 100 was 1:30. (I'll get to 1:20!!! )

Sara -- question for you regarding the pull. My swim instructor wants me to pull straight back during my stroke. But I've also read some authors/coaches (including Don Fink) who advocate more of an 'S' shape to the pull portion of the stroke. My coach thinks the S is inefficient as you're using energy to not only push to the side, but you're also pushing water into yourself. My question -- were do you stand on this? Logically, the straight pull seems to make most sense, but the 's' seems more of a natural motion.

2011-05-11 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3492871

Extreme Veteran
Mike - Great job on the swim. I'd love to be able to do the distances you do. And yes you will get to 1:20 just take your time and keep swimming
2011-05-11 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Mike_D - 2011-05-11 6:19 AM

Today was swim drills/form day for me. Had gone to the pool looking to do a main set of 12x100, but after doing a warm up & a couple 100's, I decided I needed form work. And lots of it. Ended up doing a 16x50 set of nothing but drills (as well as a few other 100's), concentrating on streamlining, balance, and pull. I also upped the tempo at which I swam to a point where I was really working. One thing I did today which I'd not much of in the past was to use fins on a couple sets of drills. This helped me immensely with the 'feel' of how I should be balanced in the water, as the fins helped get my legs up. Once I ditched the fins, I had a great feel for being streamlined & balanced in the water. As I worked on, I could tell things were getting better. My average time per 100 was 1:30. (I'll get to 1:20!!! )

Sara -- question for you regarding the pull. My swim instructor wants me to pull straight back during my stroke. But I've also read some authors/coaches (including Don Fink) who advocate more of an 'S' shape to the pull portion of the stroke. My coach thinks the S is inefficient as you're using energy to not only push to the side, but you're also pushing water into yourself. My question -- were do you stand on this? Logically, the straight pull seems to make most sense, but the 's' seems more of a natural motion.

Hadn't thought about the fins helping to feel position.  Good idea.  Challenge is finding the time to do everything you want to do!

2011-05-12 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Uh, hello? Is this thing on? Can you hear me? Test...1..2...test...1...2.... (tumble weed blows by....)

So, seems everyone was so busy training yesterday we had no chance to drop in and say anything .

I feel like I'm having a good week training wise, and am looking forward to start running more. I did my first 'non supported' (arch support in shoe) run today (run/walk, really) since I hurt my foot in February, and it was pain free, and I still feel fine. A big milestone for me. Now my big question -- how to ramp back up? Go back and start the "couch to 5k" program around week 4 or 5? I can do a 5k now without much of a problem, but that was with my shoe support in place. I don't want to rush this, but I don't want to just mess around running 1 mile a day.  Your thoughts appreciated!!!  My first race is in 6 weeks, and I'd like to be at least semi competitive on the run portion. I'm thinking of just running 2-3 miles 3x/week for week one, then following the 10% rule up through race week. Them I'm going to prep for a HM in September.

2011-05-12 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

yup, training, school, and work=no posting for me!Laughing

We did an OWS practice last night, I am glad to say there was a definite improvement in my swimming! This was the 1st time out in my new wet suit--which fits PERFECTLY! After getting used to the water (Hello, its MAY--where's the warm weather in CA?!?!?) we did some sighting practice and some basic technique work...After a few 'laps'(?), I began to feel the same as I did at the course practice--upon investigation, I found out I was kicking WAY too much--I then let the wetsuit do its job and did a very slight kick and I was actually doing well! In fact, I didn't even get very winded! I think I just might be able to do this thing!

We then ran a couple laps around the park, and I did ok there too--a little soreness in my calves, but my breathing was still better than average...overall, a good workout!

Tonight its Master Swim Class in the pool--more breathing work, but it improves my technique every week! Smile 10 days til my first race!

2011-05-12 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Trained yesterday - 3.4 mile run.  Spared you guys my complaining about the 92 degree heat and how misearable it is to run in!!  Hoping to get a swim in this PM + maybe an easy ride or run....
2011-05-12 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3491502

User image

Master
Dunedin
kgore - 2011-05-10 12:12 PM

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

I have to agree--the catch-up is one of the few times in which I feel somewhat comfortable swimming--the only thing I'm still fighting is my breathing--I can never get all of the CO2 out of my lungs, it builds up and then I'm wheezing after little effort...My coach suggests trying a deep yoga breathing, but I just can't get a grasp of it. We tried doing something where I basically let all the air out of my lungs to try to sink in the pool--either I'm very buoyant or some air remains--I'm thinking its the latter....

So, any thoughts???

If you can still float-you have air in there still . =)  That's a good thing though, I don't think it's physically possible for a conscious person to force ALL the air out.  Our bodies don't like being O2 deprived! =)

2011-05-12 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3492263

User image

Master
Dunedin
croixfan - 2011-05-10 5:27 PM

Noticed my calendar was free this PM and the forecast looked good so I took 1/2 day vacation.  Hit the pool on the way home and decided to HTFU and actually push myself a little bit.  Did 6 x 100 at times of 2:12, 2:07, 2:08, 2:07, 2:07, 2:08.  Was going off at 2:45 so rest was not excessive.  Was tired but not dead.  Really happy with this set as I've never gone under 2:00 for a 100.  Then did 200 yards of breast strokes and kick board.  Finished with 400 yards straight.  100 splits were 2:41, 2:45, 2:51, 2:49.  Not speedy, BUT was just kind of relaxing and cruising along.  Did some checking and back in mid-February, my fast times for 100's were around 2:10, but could not hold it for more than a single 100.  Sets then were ending at around 2:35.  In addition, my "easy" swims were around 3:10.  Nice to see progress!

After a quick drive home, jumped on the bike and headed out for a ride.  Did 11.8 miles at 18mph -- even with the 15 mph wind!

Think I could get used to this 1/2 day working thing.

GREAT job Curt! It's fabulous that you can look back and see significant progress.  Keep it up!

2011-05-12 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3492806

User image

Master
Dunedin

Wow! Wow! Wow! Nice job Suzanne!  Take it super nice and easy with the running and you'll be able to increase your endurance.  =)  Keep it up!

suzielea - 2011-05-11 5:11 AM

Headed out for the station today and ended up doing a walk/run. Only 3 segments (1-across the supermarket drive way, 2- across a road and 3- 50 steps along a trail near the station) for a total of .51 miles (if I've mapped right.) It took me about 11 mins (guessing my time because I didn't check my phone (watch) after the last bit)to get to where the concrete of the bus stops start which is what it normally takes me to get from the road on my side of the station home, so it made me faster at least. I'm thinking I may add some short run/walks in to my schedule as speed work before starting an official run/walk program though.

2011-05-12 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Slacker today.  Hit the pool and called it good after 400 yards.  Hate to back off, but the bodies telling me time to take it easy for a couple of days.
2011-05-12 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Masterswim class was 800 yards---200 warm up, 6 50s of drills, and 3 straight 100s--I was feeling it (ie wheezing!), but I did recover quickly...There was a few times where I could just FEEL that my form was correct too--they didn't last long, but it was more than once. That's an improvement, so I will take it!

I then came home and did Wii Fit for 35 minutes--it really doesn't feel like working out though--its too fun...especially the rhythm boxing! I've planned my workouts through the 22nd (Race day) Every day, I feel a little more confident about it!

2011-05-13 1:59 AM
in reply to: #3495304

Extreme Veteran

Mike - Yay for getting in a "non-supported"run. Not sure about how to work on the endurance of it but if the plan works go with it. If not scale back. You can always run/walk the run segment if you need to.

Kate - Great work figuring out what was happening in the OWS swim. You can do this. I look forward to reading your race report.

Curt - Can I steal some of your heat? It's worse walking in 12C weather with rain.

Sara - thanks. I'm still trying to work out how to get in to this running thing but I want to finish my current plan first (higdon 5k and did the race as part of week 5) so I still have a few weeks. I'll see how my asthma is behaving afterwards and then assess where I should start. The possibilities right now are in order from easiest to hardest Galloway conditioning plan, C25k 28 week version (starting in week 5 as I already have the walking endurance in place), C25K 16 week version (probably starting in week 2 for the same reason as already mentioned.) I like the idea of being able to set my own intervals and know that there is no way I can do 1 min total of running so I'm staying clear of the "traditional c25k" lol.

Today's workout was definitely slower than usual and I timed myself by counting steps as my phone is dead (still haven't got it fixed so it's only useful for the non-phone features right now) but I got a full mile in. First time in this schedule I've done that with a mid-week walk. So things are looking up. Then again they're also looking down as my weight has started dropping. I'm planning to start tracking my food again soon.

Question:

Can you get the food stats stuff as a "free member" or would I have to upgrade for that?

2011-05-13 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Taking today off. Have been feeling tired all week, and was out late last night. Tomorrow AM is a 30+ mile ride, then a run (5k or so). Sunday a swim lesson & a run. Just need the weather to hold out!

2011-05-13 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Mike_D - 2011-05-11 7:19 AM

Go with the 'S'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swam 1500 yd straight last night to play with my stroke (hmm, hope no one takes THAT out of context!) and can't justify pulling straight back.  It is called the "catch" afterall, so you can't "catch" the water without that motion.  My 's' is not huge, just enough for my hand to feel the water and figure out where I can get the best leverage as I pull my body OVER my hand as my hand pulls/pushes the water to my feet (I lunge my body over my hand as I pull).

I think hand/elbow position is important for getting the 's' right.  Keep your armpit open and refer back to the link with the swim video that is a few pages into our thread-it's a GREAT resource.

2011-05-13 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3493311

User image

Master
Dunedin
croixfan - 2011-05-11 10:36 AM
Mike_D - 2011-05-11 6:19 AM

One thing I did today which I'd not much of in the past was to use fins on a couple sets of drills. This helped me immensely with the 'feel' of how I should be balanced in the water, as the fins helped get my legs up. Once I ditched the fins, I had a great feel for being streamlined & balanced in the water. As I worked on, I could tell things were getting better. My average time per 100 was 1:30. (I'll get to 1:20!!! )

Hadn't thought about the fins helping to feel position.  Good idea.  Challenge is finding the time to do everything you want to do!

Fins are a very popular training tool.  Mind your knees though.  I had to give up fins in college because they couldn't take the extra leverage that the length causes... I should go back to it and see how it works, though!

Another tool is a set of paddles.  START WITH THE SMALL ONES!  You may feel goofy if you're a muscular gal/guy using dinky sized paddles, but your shoulder will thank you for starting small and only trying short distances (a couple 25s or 50s) at first.

2011-05-13 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3495304

User image

Master
Dunedin
Mike_D - 2011-05-12 10:07 AM

Uh, hello? Is this thing on? Can you hear me? Test...1..2...test...1...2.... (tumble weed blows by....)

So, seems everyone was so busy training yesterday we had no chance to drop in and say anything .

I feel like I'm having a good week training wise, and am looking forward to start running more. I did my first 'non supported' (arch support in shoe) run today (run/walk, really) since I hurt my foot in February, and it was pain free, and I still feel fine. A big milestone for me. Now my big question -- how to ramp back up?

I'm still working on a cry uncle swim workout, but a research proposal, CERT training and tri training keep getting in the way... oh, and work.  Wink

Start with the couch to 5k plan and commit to the first full week, see how you feel.  Too easy?  Then the following week take the next two weeks of the 5k plan and pick and choose what you feel you can do, but keep it on the easier side.   Keep picking and choosing the next few weeks of the plan for your training so that you can compact the plan into the weeks you have left to train.  Does that make sense?  When you're two weeks away from your race, it's time to sit down and have a "come to Jesus" meeting with yourself (that's what we call the moments that we typically want to avoid! LOL!) and decide if you are building fitness at the rate you're going and can keep going with the training plan or if you are hurting yourself and need to take a week off to recover  and then reasses a week before the race to see what you can handle.

That's my humble opinion. =)

2011-05-13 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Mike and Suzanna-I hear ya on hoping for good weather!

Tomorrow I have Community Emergency Response Team testing.  They send a team of 4-5 of us through a simulation of an emergency (tornado, flood, fire, etc) and we have to respond appropriated to become certified to assist in local disasters.  So, if I'm not too tired from search and rescue/triage/putting out fires (small ones!) then I'm hoping for a 100 mi ride to Ithaca, NY and back.  I NEEEEEEED to get a long ride in! My 148 mile ride is in 5 weeks and I don't think I've gone longer than 30 or 40 miles yet.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2011-05-13 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Sara, thanks for all the feedback! I used the fins sparingly and found them quite useful. Don't want to use them too much since they're frown upon in races . The paddles are tough, I agree. I used them for the first time a couple weeks ago, and wow do they let you know if you're not on target with your hands! I'm actually thinking of buying some for practice.

Thanks also for the running plan ideas. I've started doing something similar (hence the run/walk on Thursday). I have another run or two this weekend, and will see how I feel after those, then figure out the next week. lol @ the come to Jesus meeting

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

2011-05-13 1:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida

Got my first real ride in today.  Rode just over 7 miles in 38 minutes.  Slower than at the end of last year, but not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I'm still struggling with finding making time to get my workouts in. I'm still on the fence about the June sprint, and unless i do better between now and the June race, I will change the September race to the sprint and do the Oly next year.

Going to go for a run later, but it may be very late. Friday is date night and I refuse to miss that.

Tim

2011-05-13 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Help me out guys -- are the paddles to build strength?  To teach form?  What's their purpose?
2011-05-13 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3497848

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

croixfan - 2011-05-13 2:12 PM Help me out guys -- are the paddles to build strength?  To teach form?  What's their purpose?

When I used them it was to teach form for your entry & pull. They essentially make the surface area of your hand larger and completely rigid, so if you are not properly executing the movements, your hand goes all over the place.

2011-05-13 7:24 PM

Extreme Veteran

Looks like you're all  doing some good training

Sara - 100 miles is definitely a "long ride"

Mike - good luck with the new run training plan

Tim - Yay for getting out for "your first ride." I'm sure you're time will improve with consistency and don't worry theres always someone slower than you. My highest bike speed is something like 6mph, lol. But then I'm not very consistent.

Me - not totally sure. I need to finish my homework and then I may head up to the pool. I want to christen my new swimsuit - have to raid the ribbon first so I can do the zip up on my own, lol. Aside from that I'm not sure. I may go have a look at one of the local shops and find Dad a birthday present. We'll see what happens.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72