General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-03-24 9:22 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
If you were going to swim 500 meters or less I probably not use a wet suit. Especially if its your first tr I would svae the money until your hooked and want to do an Oly or 70.3 race. If the water is going to be ultra cold then you might want it.

I store mine inside out on a plastic hanger. I never heard that you should fold it up. I was told to hang it up inside out so you do not damage the outside. I had mine for 7 years and I still love it.

2014-03-24 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4969602

User image

Ok just to answer a couple questions above.

Bricks - I did two bricks in the fall with no problems - I have tried two indoor bricks this winter and had bad calf cramps - I will be doing another this weekend - planned Sunday. Hopefully with success as I have changed my diet, stretching and clothing to assist with eliminating these problems.

As far as the swim I added extra planned time there as I think that I will be a better ow swimmer as I feel once I get into a groove w my stroke I hit the wall - literally the pool wall and need to turn an reset.

2014-03-24 11:49 AM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by Clarkey77 Ok just to answer a couple questions above. Bricks - I did two bricks in the fall with no problems - I have tried two indoor bricks this winter and had bad calf cramps - I will be doing another this weekend - planned Sunday. Hopefully with success as I have changed my diet, stretching and clothing to assist with eliminating these problems. As far as the swim I added extra planned time there as I think that I will be a better ow swimmer as I feel once I get into a groove w my stroke I hit the wall - literally the pool wall and need to turn an reset.

I also had cramps with short distance tri events going from Bike to Run each time and I didn't think I had done enough short distance bricks.  On my 70.3 preparation bricks, it was not my calve muscles that cramped, but my lower back muscles that were really tight.

2014-03-24 12:25 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Man what a counterproductive weekend!!!! Diet out the door, workout out the door, ughhhh ok back to it today!!!
2014-03-24 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4970167

User image

Dlo
That's the only way to do it!
Limit the depth if the fall, pick yourself back up and get back on plan! We all crash every now and then - make it a few hour or a day instead of crashing all week!
2014-03-24 2:47 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Hey guys,

I've been away for a bit. I was traveling last week. I did manage to get in my run workouts (albeit on the treadmill at the hotel). i also did a boat-load of walking.

This week is a taper week into my 13.1 on Sunday. The name of the game for me this week is to eat right, follow my plan for running (workouts lighten up as we head through the week) and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

I just got my bib number in the email and it just hit me that this is REAL!

2014-03-24 7:24 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Originally posted by Mfechter67

This week is a taper week into my 13.1 on Sunday.
I just got my bib number in the email and it just hit me that this is REAL!

good luck!

I had a nice little run today.

4.2 miles (long for me!)....
48 minutes.

I did the first 2.5 miles at 12 min miles
then a small breather
then a half mile at 11
then a half mile at 10.
then a small breather
then the last .5 at about 8.5.

All on the dreadmill.

It was getting very close to getting outside, now it looks like more snow tomorrow ! UGH!
2014-03-24 10:50 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Originally posted by chirunner134

If you were going to swim 500 meters or less I probably not use a wet suit. Especially if its your first tr I would svae the money until your hooked and want to do an Oly or 70.3 race. If the water is going to be ultra cold then you might want it.

I store mine inside out on a plastic hanger. I never heard that you should fold it up. I was told to hang it up inside out so you do not damage the outside. I had mine for 7 years and I still love it.

I wish someone would have told me that sooner about not having a wetsuit! I had emailed the tri organizer and they said the water would be too cold to swim without one. It's supposed to be around 62 degrees.

I did two reverse tri's last year but really wanted to do one with an open water swim. My goal - to complete a 70.3 this December for my 50th birthday. And if I keep my weight off, it will be 6 years since I lost 95lbs in December. But this tri business is so much harder than marathon running, I am not sure I will be able to work up the endurance (or afford the cost of everything one needs for a tri).

And then people talk about hiring coaches to help them finish 70.3....what's your opinion?

2014-03-25 6:35 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by luvschips

I wish someone would have told me that sooner about not having a wetsuit! I had emailed the tri organizer and they said the water would be too cold to swim without one. It's supposed to be around 62 degrees.

I did two reverse tri's last year but really wanted to do one with an open water swim. My goal - to complete a 70.3 this December for my 50th birthday. And if I keep my weight off, it will be 6 years since I lost 95lbs in December. But this tri business is so much harder than marathon running, I am not sure I will be able to work up the endurance (or afford the cost of everything one needs for a tri).

And then people talk about hiring coaches to help them finish 70.3....what's your opinion?

You don't have to buy a wetsuit, you can rent one for the race. Wetsuitrental.com has great deals. I think it's $65 to rent. Check them out.

I know many people that have done 70.3 without coaches. There is enough material out there (and here on BT) to help you train. You'll find lots of free coaching advice along the way. I would not stray from your goal. You can do it!
2014-03-25 9:03 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

62? yeah I would probably wear one if I could then. Plus if your not the best swimmer it helps. The last sprint I did was not wetsuit legal. Getting out is not that hard. Getting in is a pain but you should have plenty of time.
2014-03-25 9:29 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Folks I know have had great experiencens renting wet-suits. Try it. 62 is damn cold!

Instruction

• Clean your wetsuit after each use by rinsing it gently but thoroughly with cool, fresh water to remove salt, dirt, sand, sweat and other residue. For deep cleaning, wash the wetsuit with a shampoo specifically formulated for wetsuits.

• Hang your wetsuit inside-out to dry, away from direct sunlight. Use a thick plastic or padded hanger instead of a thin wire hanger, which can distort the shape of the shoulders.
    • For short-term storage, hang the wetsuit inside-out on a thick hanger in a cool, dry spot. Folding the legs up and over the shoulders will reduce the weight pulling on the suit.
    • For travel, lay the suit flat with the zipper facing down. Fold the legs up, with the ankles to the shoulders. Fold the arms across each other over the chest. Fold the suit horizontally up to the shoulders. Pack the wetsuit gently, away from any hard or sharp objects.

• For long-term storage, store the wetsuit completely flat. Avoid sunlight and extremes in heat or cold. Under a bed is a good spot. If folding the suit is necessary, keep the folds to a minimum.

From my wet suit manufacturers website on storage.

2014-03-25 10:21 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

A 70.3 does not require a coach.  It requires you to train to your own ability and speed and to build to this distances in a safe time frame.  I went from a sprint in the spring to a 70.3 in the month of August when I did my 70.3 event.  But I was training 6 days a week and some were two a days.  In my mind, I think anyone can complete a 70.3 if they want to do it.  It is a long and lonely race depending upon the race.  You have to want it for the right reasons, but I plan on going from my current super heavy weight back to where I was when I did the 70.3 4 years ago.  I want to complete some 70.3 events and do a 140.6 in the next two years.  I have to drop my music or my art to be able to make it all work out.

2014-03-25 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4970351

User image

Good luck flip

Did an hour of yoga at lunch today to stretch everything out a bit
2014-03-26 8:27 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Got a bit of a problem again. I went out for my 1K hammer down session last night, and my right soleus muscle has started flaring up again. I'm not really sure what direction to go in here. The only two things I can think of is that I wore an older pair of shoes with inserts to work yesterday, and I also got kinda stupid on the leg press on Monday morning at the Y... (15 reps @ 280 lbs and 5 reps at 320). For now, I'm back to ibuprofen and icing.

Oh...and for the record, I set my fastest 1K to date @ 6:37.
2014-03-26 8:34 AM

User image

AHHHH!!! Overslept and missed my run :-( I hate it when I do that!

Congrats on PR Webfoot!

And thank you for all the great info on the wetsuit. And for all the encouragement on the 70.3. I will see if I get over my fear of failure for the one in December...fear - the great ruler of my life sometimes. Causes me not to do things I want to do (like the tri). Causes me to eat because food is such a comfort...I will say everyday I do some sort of physical movement (walk, bike, hike, whatever) my fear is lower and my confidence is higher.

Anyway, enough of my psych issues - lol!

It's WEDNESDAY! Have a great day everyone! I look forward to hearing how it goes for you all...

Donna
2014-03-26 9:54 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

Congrats on PR Webfoot!

And thank you for all the great info on the wetsuit. And for all the encouragement on the 70.3. I will see if I get over my fear of failure for the one in December...fear - the great ruler of my life sometimes. Causes me not to do things I want to do (like the tri). Causes me to eat because food is such a comfort...I will say everyday I do some sort of physical movement (walk, bike, hike, whatever) my fear is lower and my confidence is higher.

It's WEDNESDAY! Have a great day everyone! I look forward to hearing how it goes for you all...

Donna

Donna hang in there. Not to scare you but kinda of reminder in a marathon and probably even a HIM 1 lbs = 1 min extra it will take you. overeating does help the failing at 70.3 happen. You can still do it though. I done it at 300 lbs. It is much harder though. I am going through my own battles with weight and ITU Chicago in June

2014-03-26 10:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by luvschips AHHHH!!! Overslept and missed my run :-( I hate it when I do that! Congrats on PR Webfoot! And thank you for all the great info on the wetsuit. And for all the encouragement on the 70.3. I will see if I get over my fear of failure for the one in December...fear - the great ruler of my life sometimes. Causes me not to do things I want to do (like the tri). Causes me to eat because food is such a comfort...I will say everyday I do some sort of physical movement (walk, bike, hike, whatever) my fear is lower and my confidence is higher. Anyway, enough of my psych issues - lol! It's WEDNESDAY! Have a great day everyone! I look forward to hearing how it goes for you all... Donna

Your psych issues are the same as mine! facing that fear is a great step! Remember, there is no failure in not finishing a 70.3, only in not trying one if you want to.

I typed that and then look what popped up on my screen!

""You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try." -Beverly Sills"

Edited by ceilidh 2014-03-26 10:51 AM
2014-03-26 11:27 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Hey all been crazy busy but trying to get my training in and eating to a plan. Started a biggest loser type challenge with my friends and family and got 23 people to join! Did a $40 buy so pretty nice payout to the winner, put together a website with a forum for tracking and this Sunday we will be off and running! If anyone is interested in setting something up like this for their friends and family let me know I can help you get it going!

Swim is on the docket tonight, up to 1800 per work out and feeling strong. Great work everyone on all their accomplishments and milestones! Warm weather and race season is just around the corner, get up and get moving everyone!!!!!

Have a great day
2014-03-26 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4916495

User image

Just rented a bike for my Tri!
Scott 58 cm?
I'm 6-1 w a 32 inseam - yeah short legs
Does this seem too big?

On the stationary bike now, on my way to 12+ miles.
2014-03-26 7:15 PM

User image

Congrats on PR Webfoot!

Donna

Donna hang in there. Not to scare you but kinda of reminder in a marathon and probably even a HIM 1 lbs = 1 min extra it will take you. overeating does help the failing at 70.3 happen. You can still do it though. I done it at 300 lbs. It is much harder though. I am going through my own battles with weight and ITU Chicago in June

I NEVER HEARD THIS!

I wish I would have read it before I ate 4 candy bars :-( Ok - that really got my attention.

Thank you for the eye opener.

Robin - really like the Beverly Sills quote!
2014-03-27 6:45 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Carrying extra weight is definitely something that slows you down on the swim, bike and run.

short tread mill this morning before work to get my self "going" in the morning.   I also did a short 10 mile bike ride on the trainer last night.  I have a few art shows coming up and I don't have enough things ready, so I am making that a priority right now.

2014-03-27 8:31 PM
in reply to: #4971754

User image

13+ miles on the bike yesterday!

First 12.5 in 41 minutes and felt like I could have pushed it more.

Overslept my run this AM - ugh - Tri ing (get it) to get more AM workouts in! So I did 1.5 mile walk at lunch at a blistering pace and core and squats tonight!
2014-03-27 10:29 PM
in reply to: #4972509

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Made my run this morning... kept it slow and the pain is definitely back...

30 mins of tennis ball therapy, ice and ibuprofen this evening and I was jumping rope with no pain again. Going to keep it slow.

Group ride cancelled tonight due to wind, rain and Zeus taking pot shots and anything that moved.
2014-03-28 12:18 AM

User image

After reading everyone's workout I decided to go out tonight and swim 1800 yards tonight and feeling good. Thank you for posting and motivating me!

Ate pretty healthy. Broke out The New Rules of Marathon Nutrition and set up my goals in myfitnesspal. And I am happy to report I at ZERO candy bars today!

I have my first trail run on Saturday - 5 miles up and 5 miles down!

Good nigiht everyone!

Donna
2014-03-28 8:11 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by luvschips After reading everyone's workout I decided to go out tonight and swim 1800 yards tonight and feeling good. Thank you for posting and motivating me! Ate pretty healthy. Broke out The New Rules of Marathon Nutrition and set up my goals in myfitnesspal. And I am happy to report I at ZERO candy bars today! I have my first trail run on Saturday - 5 miles up and 5 miles down! Good nigiht everyone! Donna

Great workout and have a fun time on your trail run.  I used to love running in new places.  I really hope to get that feeling back again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28423 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100921 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16570 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30465 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?