Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-07-23 11:48 AM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
Hey Rich!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! We all knew you would do a great job regardless of the conditions and bumps!

Awesome job!! and I'm glad you're not feeling that sore today.

Take care guys,

FR

2007-07-24 10:36 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Good Morning,

I hope everyone who raced this weekend is feeling well.  I'm trying to get back in the swing of things after this crazy weekend.  I had a blast, but getting up this morning to run was tough! 

Rich, I had asked you to help me come up with a plan for my next tri in Oct.  I checked out the BT plans and I think I found one that will work for me and my schedule.  I've printed out the 16 Week Sprint - 3X Balanced.  Since I've been training, kind of, I'm going to begin with Month 2, week 2.  That gives me 11 weeks of training before the sprint on Oct. 7.  I'm going to add weight/core training 2X a week along with yoga at least once a week.  My tri swim lessons begin Aug. 6 2X a week.  Please look at it and see if I need to do anything else...like increase/decrease duration.  I'm going to be racing the same course as my very first tri so I really want to shave off some time...especially on the bike and run.  The bike course has a few hills, but mostly small rollers.  The run is pretty flat...with a long incline.  I've been on a mental vacation and I'm ready to hit it hard!!!

How is everyone's training going?  Andi...are you ready for your first?  Kat, when's your next race?  Christine, Felipe and Caru...is it Aug. or Sept. for your next tri?  Where the heck is Derek???  Did all us girls scare him off?  I'm not sure Felipe was with us when we had Derek checking in...

Angela

2007-07-24 12:07 PM
in reply to: #898865

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Angela!

I'll take a look at the plan this evening for you!

My next race(s)

Disneyland Half Marathon
Long Beach International Half Marathon
Pasadena Inaugural Half Marathon

I'm going to throw a couple of sprint tris in just for kicks and giggles! I'm looking at one that will be held on Thanksgiving morning!

(Note: Thought I'd be sore this morning.....nothing.....some minor stiffness, but zilch on the soreness.)

Rich
2007-07-24 1:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Good luck working your new training program, Angela!

My next race is August 12. Wow. It's coming up fast.

Good news about the level of soreness, Rich. Sometimes I don't feel a really tough workout until 2 days out... hope that's not the case for you. Hope you are totally fine.
2007-07-24 2:34 PM
in reply to: #899286

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Thanks Christine!

I was actually anticipating some soreness today..... (race was on Sunday; Monday was a travel/rest day; Tuesday (2nd day after the race), expected to be sore. I have some stiffness after sitting for a period of time, but after I move around, I'm fine!

On Sunday night, I forgot to mention that I did a lot of stretching and tried to get lactic acid out of the muscles.

That stretching thing is good for something I guess!

Rich
2007-07-24 6:46 PM
in reply to: #899468

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hey folks! Sorry I've been out of touch lately - seems like the summer schedule is a bit loosey goosey and it keeps filling up with all kinds of stuff I wasn't expecting!  Also, my client work has been pretty demanding of late. I can only spend so much time in front of my computer....

RICH - YOU ROCK!! Great job getting past all of those hurdles and completing the race in good form.  It sure would have been easy for me in the same situation to just pack it in and try again another day. Solid work my friend!

Angela - I take it you're doing the Longhorn sprint on Oct. 7?  I'm in for that one, too - though I'm waiting for my next paycheck to come so I can register! That will be fun to race together.  I haven't done that course since last June, but I'm looking for some significant improvement in my time as well!  It sounds like it's going to be fun.  The RD is the same one who did the Lonestar down in Galveston, and he did a great job - very well organized and a ton of fun!  There will even be Amy's ice cream afterwards which is only the BEST ICE CREAM ON THE PLANET BAR NONE!!!!

In the meantime, I'm training for my second oly - the Austin Triathlon on September 3.  I'm not concerned about getting through the race since I've done one oly.  I'm more concerned about the heat, particularly by the time I get to the run.

Speaking of the run, Rich, thanks for passing along the tip about "leading with your heart" - I've been thinking about that a lot and I think it's been helping me.  Of course, it also reminds me of what my mom used to tell me when I was a teen and she wanted me to stand up straight - "knockers up!!"

I'm off to try to get a swim in today.  Training has been more difficult than I anticipated with my schedule and lots of rain.  I didn't even make it out on my bike at all last week and had to do trainer rides instead.  That's gonna get old quick!! Particularly when I need to be putting in some serious saddle time.....

Later, folks!

2007-07-25 12:50 PM
in reply to: #896228

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Andi's 5K Race!
aduncan42 - 2007-07-22 9:20 PM

Today was another first for me, where I raced in my first race EVER. It was a 5K, and there were 1300 registrants. Now I know what you mean by adrenaline running through your body, because I blew away my personal best by over a minute per mile, coming in at a lighting fast (for me) 9:46 minute/mile pace (30:44 total). I came in 34th in my age group and 611 overall. Ok ok, so I'm not fast, but I'm faster. A LOT faster than when I started in May (running around 15 minute miles). Running in that setting was a great experience for me. It made me focus on what I need to do, instead of focus on everything else around me. Good stuff.

Hey Andi! I completely missed your post on your 5K Results! GREAT JOB! Impressed on you keeping your focus! KUDOs! In a race day environment there is so much going on!
2007-07-26 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - Training Plans for this weekend?
Hey Gang!

What are your training plans for this weekend?

I'm going to the beach!!!!! We have a team OWS workout, followed by a bike ride and a possible 10K Run (optional).

Let's hear from everyone!

Rich

2007-07-26 11:40 AM
in reply to: #902429

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - Training Plans for this weekend?
I have a long bike ride scheduled for Saturday.  That is, of course, if it would ever stop raining.....
2007-07-26 12:13 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

According to my plan, I have a 26 min swim/53 min bike ride for Saturday and then a 26 min run for Sunday.  Hey Rich, why is the times so exact?  Why not incruments of 5?  Is there a reason for the minutes to be broken up like this?  I've joined a group of ladies on Wed. at 5AM for a long run and plyometrics.  If anyone has some great ideas for our circuit let me know.  I need to contribute for next weeks gathering.

Kat, y'all are getting pounded with rain.  So far, we've had a couple of days of rain that's lasted a few hours and then moves on.  I hope you get some sunshine soon!

Rich, when you said the beach, my first thought was VACATION!  But I should have known better!  Have a great OWS, bike ride and run!

Angela

2007-07-26 12:23 PM

User image

Regular
Hey Guys,

I'm prepargin for a Half-marathon this weekened in Bogota, Colombia. It's gonna be a bit rough since the altitude here is 2,600 meters above sea level. I've been trying to adjust but we'll see. My idea is to stay close to my PR(1:26), somethind aroun 1:28- 1:30.

Then, next weekend, Caro and I will be doing our second sprint tri!! Can't wait for that!!

Hope everyone is doing well.

FR

2007-07-26 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Tonight - 30 mile group ride
Friday - 4 mile run / at least 18 lap swim
Sat - long swim (usually 1 hr) - Bike (speed practice)
Sun - Bike / run race course

It's my 40th birthday on Sunday!!! In between working on renovations and training this weekend, we do have some fun planned. It took some arm twisting, but we ARE going to take some play time.

RICH -- When's the race report going to come in??? And pics?!? You're giving yourself some time for fun now too, right?
2007-07-26 1:36 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Felipe, good luck in your race, how cool!

I swam a couple of miles last night (worst practice EVER, was totally drained mentally and physically for some reason, but I trudged my way through it). Tonight is my weekly golf league , Saturday is another brick, though I may not run because I've really been suffering from a shin splint since the race on Sunday and don't want to hurt myself, so I may just do a long bike. Somewhere between 25 and 40 miles, who knows. May run on Sunday if leg permits.

Rich, what is your take on sports drinks? I was advised by my swim coach last night to not drink gaterade because of the high fructose corn syrup and the spike in sugars that it can cause. She recommended Accelerade, and also suggested Hammer gels for energy. Thoughts? Guidance? Good/bad experiences? Help me, Obi Wan!
2007-07-26 4:12 PM
in reply to: #902683

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
aduncan42 - 2007-07-26 1:36 PM

Rich, what is your take on sports drinks? I was advised by my swim coach last night to not drink gaterade because of the high fructose corn syrup and the spike in sugars that it can cause. She recommended Accelerade, and also suggested Hammer gels for energy. Thoughts? Guidance? Good/bad experiences? Help me, Obi Wan!

I have to agree with your coach (to a point). We actually had the Accelerade Regional VP for Southern California out at our Brick Workout along with his photographer. They were promoting the Accelerade (Orange and Lime are the best.....stay away from the Mountain Berry = YUCK!) Accelerate has some sugar in it, but it also has the Carbs and Protein along with I believe electrolytes.

I also use InfinIT. There are different formulas..... I use the Ironman which can be used for not only the Ironman, but also the 70.3.

I use 1 water bottle of fluids per every half-hour of bike riding..... so if you are doing a 2 1/2 hr ride, that is five bottles. You may need to adjust depending upon heat and humidity. In a race situation, I use a combination of InfinIT and Gatorade.

My nutrition package/bag includes:

2 pre-made bottles of InfinIT
4 pre-packets of InfinIT
4 small Cliff Bars
3 Cliff Shots
2 pieces of Beef Jerky
6 Electrolyte capsuls

I have seen some racers take PowerBars (which look like taffy) with the wrapper off. They break the bar into two pieces and stick them to the top tube on their bike. It is sticky enough to stick to the frame all by itself. When you are ready to eat, they just pull a piece off the top tube. (I don't use PowerBars because it clogs my system up badly!)

My recommendation is to try different things. Each person's system is different.

Hope this helps!
2007-07-26 4:32 PM
in reply to: #902645

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
cmbcwb3 - 2007-07-26 1:19 PM

RICH -- When's the race report going to come in??? And pics?!? You're giving yourself some time for fun now too, right?

I am having some fun.......I'm waiting for the pics myself.....I tried to take a pic while running, but it came out a little blurry! The pic in the water didn't come out so well either and the one on the bike I only got of my helmet and one eye! (Kidding!)

Race Report will go up on Sunday(?). I'm still looking at numbers, talking with my coach and sports nutritionist.

FUN?!?! Absolutely......going on a 4 day weekend to celebrate a friend's 40th Birthday! One week later, my wife, son and my best man and his family are heading out for a road trip to Washington and Oregon for 9 days! Wooo Hooooo! Might have to go back to the Russian River and swim! (I'm going to sneak my wetsuit into my bags!)

Rich
2007-07-26 4:37 PM
in reply to: #902520

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
feliperubio - 2007-07-26 12:23 PM

Hey Guys,

I'm prepargin for a Half-marathon this weekened in Bogota, Colombia. It's gonna be a bit rough since the altitude here is 2,600 meters above sea level. I've been trying to adjust but we'll see. My idea is to stay close to my PR(1:26), somethind aroun 1:28- 1:30.

Then, next weekend, Caro and I will be doing our second sprint tri!! Can't wait for that!!

Hope everyone is doing well.

FR

Best of luck in Bogota! Not to be discouraging, but you may not get a PR at that altitude, but DUDE...... you will be unstoppable at next weekend's tri. Your oxygen efficiency will increase dramatically when coming down from that altitude to sea level. You will be able to push it much easier. You'll need to attach a rope around your waist and Caro's waist when running next weekend! How long will you be in Bogota?

Rich

2007-07-26 4:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: You stumped the Mentor on this one! :)
Angela wrote: According to my plan, I have a 26 min swim/53 min bike ride for Saturday and then a 26 min run for Sunday. Hey Rich, why is the times so exact? Why not incruments of 5? Is there a reason for the minutes to be broken up like this?

Well Angela, I really don't have a clue why it is 26 minutes versus 25 minutes or 30 minutes. I'm wondering what your previous swim workout time was. Could it be the the training plan is building on 10% increases so your previous swim was 24 or 24.5? Hmmmmmmmmm

Head is bent low in comptemplation! :p

Rich
2007-07-26 4:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Christine's Birthday Party at her house!
Christine wrote: "It's my 40th birthday on Sunday!!! "

Party at Christine's House! Woooooo Hoooooooooooooooo! Join me in wishing Christine a VERY HAPPY Birthday!

Rich
2007-07-26 4:48 PM
in reply to: #903055

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: You stumped the Mentor on this one! :)

I can answer this!  When designing the plans, I wanted people to easily see the thoughts behind the buildup in minutes for which it follows the 10% rule.  Any rounding would have made it less apparent and the steady progression would have been more 'jumpy' and if I just stuck with increments of 5minutes, at the shorter distances this would have violated the 'rules' I was using to construct the plan...I'm just very formulaic.

Plus being a chemist, I treat all numbers the same.  26 is just as unique and celebrated as 25.

Cyclingmaniac - 2007-07-26 5:42 PM Angela wrote: According to my plan, I have a 26 min swim/53 min bike ride for Saturday and then a 26 min run for Sunday. Hey Rich, why is the times so exact? Why not incruments of 5? Is there a reason for the minutes to be broken up like this? Well Angela, I really don't have a clue why it is 26 minutes versus 25 minutes or 30 minutes. I'm wondering what your previous swim workout time was. Could it be the the training plan is building on 10% increases so your previous swim was 24 or 24.5? Hmmmmmmmmm Head is bent low in comptemplation! :p Rich

2007-07-26 8:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so much to say and I am still exhausted!!! congrats to everyone on their progress on the raceS Rich Andi, all of you!!!! man...i missed a lot...gotta do some serious catching up!!!

So the test is over, it was tough and extremly draining/scary and all the other things that you are affraid off all in 1 room for a duration of 2 days!!! haha, but I kept my cool, super positive attitude, and am mighty sure I kicked its !!!
Today, I ran for half hour and then went bking for an hour and 45 mins, and you have nooo idea how blissful/ thankful my body is right now!!! MAAAN TRI-ing is just THE BEST !!! cannot wait for next weekend!!!!!
i am still exhausted( thanks to my bosses I got the day off) i can hardly keep my head up!! so I promise I will write tomorrow.. wanted to let you all know, I'm alive and can't wait to hear more about you guys!!! love you all nad I definately missed you all...

love you guys,

c
2007-07-26 9:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Gang!

I'm plum honored that Ron chimed in on the thread! For those who don't know, he is the Big Kahuna...uber site manager...owner...et al!

THANKS Ron for your assistance in answering Christine's question! Truely appreciate it!

Rich

2007-07-27 10:08 AM
in reply to: #903228

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

HOORAY CARU!!!! That big nasty test is over!  What a relief that must be for you.  After all of the hard work that you've been putting in lately, I'm sure you rocked the joint!  Rest up your brain, work out that body, and throw a party or somethin'!

2007-07-27 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Caru! CONGRATULATIONS on completing your exams! Sounds like you did well!!!! Kudos!!

Rich
2007-07-27 12:31 PM

User image

Regular
Hey Rich,

I have definately been trying to prepare for the altitude here in Bogota, although I wish I would have had more time to prepare and train here (2.5 weeks). Anyhow, timewise how much do you think the altitude will affect my performance, what strategy do you think will be a good approach?

For now I am thinking on starting very slow for the first couple of miles and then see how I feel from there. I did a long run of 12 miles and the altitude did not hit me that hard, however when I did tempo runs (6-7 minute mi) I felt out breath.

Take care,

FR
2007-07-27 3:50 PM
in reply to: #904092

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
feliperubio - 2007-07-27 12:31 PM

Hey Rich,

I have definately been trying to prepare for the altitude here in Bogota, although I wish I would have had more time to prepare and train here (2.5 weeks). Anyhow, timewise how much do you think the altitude will affect my performance, what strategy do you think will be a good approach?

For now I am thinking on starting very slow for the first couple of miles and then see how I feel from there. I did a long run of 12 miles and the altitude did not hit me that hard, however when I did tempo runs (6-7 minute mi) I felt out breath.

Take care,

FR

Hey Felipe!

By the sounds of it, it sounds like your strategy of starting out slow for the first couple of miles and evaluating as you go is a good strategy at that altitude.

There are two schools of thoughts about racing in altitudes with respect to arrival and racing:

1) Arrive several weeks (3 to 4 weeks ahead of time) to adjust appropriately to the altitude.
2) Arrive just before the race 24 to 36 hours....the altitude won't affect you apparently.

I think you are just inbetween those two windows. So that's why I say, take it out slowly and see whether your body will allow you to kick it up a notch for a strong performance....make sure you hydrate real well too! Eventhough it may not be warm, the altitude may dry you out.

I believe that the out of breath that you are experiencing is that your body has not learned how to efficiently taken in oxygen levels into your blood stream. This takes time to train and adjust. Again I'm not sure what the magic number is regarding how long it takes to condition yourself at altitudes.

Just be careful my friend and have a FANTASTIC race! Is it this Saturday or Sunday?

Rich

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46