BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken D's Group - Shut Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2010-03-31 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2759459

User image

Louisville, Kentucky
Subject: RE: Ken D's Group - Shut

I'm a little late too, Ken, and I did not do the inspires you asked us to do.

But I will this week.

A little self-indulgent update....

I wanna thank you guys for not losing faith in me! I haven't been the greatest team player lately!  Sorry!  I'm still hanging on, though.  When I do have time to workout, I'm bringing it with intensity.  I feel like I'm getting stronger and my weight seems stable. The 2 hour time difference and basically 2 full days a week for travel (on the weeks I go to Canada) are taking their toll on my efforts and rhythm. 

To work around these unpredictable travel days and work days in Calgary, I'm creating a workout plan that doesn't require the crappy "gym" my hotel has or require too much time.  While in Calgary, I'll concentrate on cardio and core stuff.  I figure core and cardio focus 2 weeks out of every month can't hurt!  I'm looking for a convenient workout.  Any and all suggestions are welcome!!!!!  My hotel is right next to the University of Calgary, a great place to run and explore.

In early may, I start my focused tri-specific training cycle.  A program I found on this site.  Very excited.

10 Mile race this Saturday.  Same running partner. This race is pretty hilly!  I made sure my 8 miler last Saturday was kind of hilly to prepare.  One more 2-3 miler tomorrow, then it's all over but the cryin!!!!

2010-03-31 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2556282

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Patrick, we are always here for ya and I know from past experience that having people check in on you can really make a motivational difference between sitting on the couch or walking out the door that day. 

You are still doing way better than I would be handling all that travel, and kudos for trying to come up with a good plan to best fit your situation. 

Not to put any pressure on Sandra, but I'd bet with those brutal bootcamps she puts on she probably has some pretty good workout ideas for ya. 

Keep up the good work and we won't stop bothering you!!
2010-03-31 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2759627

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
chichitao - 2010-03-31 6:03 AM

Not to put any pressure on Sandra, but I'd bet with those brutal bootcamps she puts on she probably has some pretty good workout ideas for ya. 

Bootcamp is one of those great things that you can modify for any space you have available.  It requires minimal equipment. The premise is to do bursts of high intensity strength and cardio.  I haven't been putting in the workouts I've put together in my logs lately(too lazy), but I can again if you think it can help.  Also, I personally like to use this site for my workouts and to get inspiration for my bootcamps.  Don't let that good looking girl fool you, she will kick your butt! 
2010-03-31 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2759459

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Mrschach - 2010-03-31 5:33 AM So I am a little late on this one but I did my inspires you asked us to a few weeks ago Ken. 

Awesome.
2010-03-31 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2759617

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
bassandbike - 2010-03-31 7:56 AM

I'm a little late too, Ken, and I did not do the inspires you asked us to do.

But I will this week.

A little self-indulgent update....

I wanna thank you guys for not losing faith in me! I haven't been the greatest team player lately!  Sorry!  I'm still hanging on, though.  When I do have time to workout, I'm bringing it with intensity.  I feel like I'm getting stronger and my weight seems stable. The 2 hour time difference and basically 2 full days a week for travel (on the weeks I go to Canada) are taking their toll on my efforts and rhythm. 

To work around these unpredictable travel days and work days in Calgary, I'm creating a workout plan that doesn't require the crappy "gym" my hotel has or require too much time.  While in Calgary, I'll concentrate on cardio and core stuff.  I figure core and cardio focus 2 weeks out of every month can't hurt!  I'm looking for a convenient workout.  Any and all suggestions are welcome!!!!!  My hotel is right next to the University of Calgary, a great place to run and explore.

In early may, I start my focused tri-specific training cycle.  A program I found on this site.  Very excited.

10 Mile race this Saturday.  Same running partner. This race is pretty hilly!  I made sure my 8 miler last Saturday was kind of hilly to prepare.  One more 2-3 miler tomorrow, then it's all over but the cryin!!!!

No inspires means pushups. 

Good luck on your race.

2010-03-31 7:10 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Registration opens tomorrow for the Philly marathon!  Don't let me chicken out!!!

2010-03-31 8:22 PM
in reply to: #2761419

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Mrschach - 2010-03-31 7:10 PM Registration opens tomorrow for the Philly marathon!  Don't let me chicken out!!!

What date and time are you planning on registering?
2010-03-31 11:53 PM
in reply to: #2761419

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
You'd better be signed up tomorrow by the time I check back or there will be hell to pay!

Mrschach - 2010-03-31 7:10 PM Registration opens tomorrow for the Philly marathon!  Don't let me chicken out!!!
2010-04-01 5:33 AM
in reply to: #2761886

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-03-31 11:53 PM You'd better be signed up tomorrow by the time I check back or there will be hell to pay!

I got up this morning, took a shower, and registered right away!  I think I may go throw up now!!  The marathon is in November so I have plenty of time.  I know it sells out so I wanted to register asap!!
2010-04-01 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2761952

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Mrschach - 2010-04-01 5:33 AM
chichitao - 2010-03-31 11:53 PM You'd better be signed up tomorrow by the time I check back or there will be hell to pay!

I got up this morning, took a shower, and registered right away!  I think I may go throw up now!!  The marathon is in November so I have plenty of time.  I know it sells out so I wanted to register asap!!

Hurray!
2010-04-01 9:00 AM

User image

Louisville, Kentucky
Well done!  My sister, who lives in Philly, asked me to run that same marathon! 

NO FREAKING WAY!!!!  10 miles is enough for the big fella.

Bring it, Chach!

Mrschach - 2010-04-01 6:33 AM

2010-04-01 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2762334

User image

Expert
South Jersey
bassandbike - 2010-04-01 9:00 AM Well done!  My sister, who lives in Philly, asked me to run that same marathon! 

NO FREAKING WAY!!!!  10 miles is enough for the big fella.

Bring it, Chach!

Mrschach - 2010-04-01 6:33 AM

There is the half and an 8k that same weekend!
2010-04-01 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2010-04-01 3:33 AM

Wuhoo!  Way to commit!
2010-04-01 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2762341

Good job signing up! I tell my friends "just sign up, figure out the rest after!". Way to go!!
2010-04-01 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
I already recruited someone to run support for me!  He is running Boston this month and NYC in November so he won't be doing Philly.  He said he loves running support for people in marathons!
2010-04-01 12:38 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Way to go Meggan! 

I had my whoopin' stick ready to go, but had a feeling I wouldn't need it!

2010-04-03 5:44 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Taken from my blog today.  I hope I don't offend anyone with this, but I am pretty f'ing pissed and wanted to vent...

Day started out "strong" and got even better. *tongue in cheek*

Worked the night shift last night and got in this morning around 6am. Slept about 5hrs and got up and decided to start my day well and go for a nice easy recovery run.

Got out on a perfect weather day and began the run. About 7min into the run, I was attacked by a schnauzer. Owner had him outside in the front yard unleashed. I was not scared as he was not that big so I kept running. Well he ran in front of me, almost tripping me, and kept darting in and out of my legs. Then he bit me. Right on the back of my right knee. It didn't really hurt but it was enough to cause bleeding all down my leg.  Shocked me more than anything.

Owner tried to apologize saying "he's never done this before"...yada yada yada. Offered me a bandaid. Told him that is why there are leash laws and he said the dog would stay in the backyard from now on. We'll see.

I HTFU and finished my relaxing run dammit!

Update: Decided to call the police since the dog got a good chunk of me (once I got home and saw the actual carnage) and wanted to make sure he was current on his shots.  Dog was current and owner ended up getting a ticket.  Cleaned it out really well and hope no infection comes of it. 

Rant: Why do people feel the need to keep dogs off leash where they can possibly attack people??  Every dog bite I have ever known (in my line of work I see them all the time), the owner says...but he has never done this before.  Most dogs are fine, but you just never know...no matter the breed.  Dogs should either be on a leash or in a fenced yard 100% of the time.  I don't give a f*** whether you feel they need space to roam freely.  If that is the case then buy some damn land.  Otherwise don't own a damn dog if you can't control it.  *off soap box*
2010-04-03 6:07 PM
in reply to: #2766783

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
chichitao - 2010-04-03 3:44 PM Taken from my blog today.  I hope I don't offend anyone with this, but I am pretty f'ing pissed and wanted to vent...

Day started out "strong" and got even better. *tongue in cheek*

Worked the night shift last night and got in this morning around 6am. Slept about 5hrs and got up and decided to start my day well and go for a nice easy recovery run.

Got out on a perfect weather day and began the run. About 7min into the run, I was attacked by a schnauzer. Owner had him outside in the front yard unleashed. I was not scared as he was not that big so I kept running. Well he ran in front of me, almost tripping me, and kept darting in and out of my legs. Then he bit me. Right on the back of my right knee. It didn't really hurt but it was enough to cause bleeding all down my leg.  Shocked me more than anything.

Owner tried to apologize saying "he's never done this before"...yada yada yada. Offered me a bandaid. Told him that is why there are leash laws and he said the dog would stay in the backyard from now on. We'll see.

I HTFU and finished my relaxing run dammit!

Update: Decided to call the police since the dog got a good chunk of me (once I got home and saw the actual carnage) and wanted to make sure he was current on his shots.  Dog was current and owner ended up getting a ticket.  Cleaned it out really well and hope no infection comes of it. 

Rant: Why do people feel the need to keep dogs off leash where they can possibly attack people??  Every dog bite I have ever known (in my line of work I see them all the time), the owner says...but he has never done this before.  Most dogs are fine, but you just never know...no matter the breed.  Dogs should either be on a leash or in a fenced yard 100% of the time.  I don't give a f*** whether you feel they need space to roam freely.  If that is the case then buy some damn land.  Otherwise don't own a damn dog if you can't control it.  *off soap box*

A most valid and appropriate rant.  I will join you on your soap box for a bit.  I am a dog owner and never let my dog off leash anywhere but in my fully fenced back yard.  He's not an aggressive dog by nature, but he doesn't play well with other dogs that come running at him, which happens so often when we walk the trails around our house and then I hear the "oh my dog is good, he's very friendly"  as they don't even attempt to get them back on a leash and their dogs don't listen to them when they are called back.  I then have to hold onto my dog while I explain to them, my dog isn't good with other dogs and would they please call their dogs and get them quickly away from mine and that there are leash laws and if they want to allow their dogs to run free, to go to one of the many off leash parks they have close by. Then I get the dirty looks, and snide comments about maybe needing to train my dog(he's a rescue and came with his issues)...My dog may act like an idiot at times, but he's always on the leash and I'm always in control.

So good on you for reporting the guy and getting him ticketed, because now he really might think twice about letting his dog run free in the yard. 

Keep an eye on that wound and make sure that he hasn't damaged any of your knee ligaments/muscles and soooo sorry that your day had to be ruined by one of the many inconsiderate dog owners.
2010-04-03 6:34 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Thanks for that Sandra, makes me feel better.  Even after 5hrs, my leg is still bleeding.  Hope it will stop soon.  Not sure what kind of medical attention (besides hospital) I can get being Easter weekend. 

I totally agree with your point about other dogs being off leash.  My wife went to the gym today to run b/c she is too afraid to run around the neighborhood (how sad is that).  She gets chased at least once a week around here and won't even go down certain streets b/c of loose dogs.  A friend that also lives in the neighborhood has the same issues about keeping her dogs on a leash.  She always walks her dogs on leashes, but they don't play well with others and will attack when other dogs confront them.  She has to physically pick up her dogs every times a loose dog comes up and all the loose dog owner does is "try" to call them back (which is usually unsuccessful).  My friend has now resorted to driving her dogs to a park to walk them.

The sad thing is, I am a huge animal lover and always used to give my wife a hard time about worrying about all the loose dogs.  We don't worry about crime in our neighborhood, just neighborhood dogs!  I guess it is just like anything else though...a few bad owners ruin it for everyone else.  Just like a few bad cyclists breaking the laws/rules ruin it and make people hate cyclists.  I don't hate the dog...but am very unhappy with the owner. 

I just think it all goes back to...people just don't care about anyone but themselves (most of the time).  It is sad that we have become that way.

ps -  my sister in law just told me a story today where she was running along a trail in a park.  another runner was coming towards her with a loose dog.  the dog started to come at my sis in law, she got scared, and she completely stopped running and the dog ran by her.  she told the other runner that there are leash laws and to please keep her dog on a leash (my sis in law is so totally sweet and nice so this was not done in a mean manner).  the other runner ran by her and my sis in law looks back to see where the dog went and the runner flipped her off.  seriously???  that is what we have come to?

Edited by chichitao 2010-04-03 6:38 PM
2010-04-03 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2766845

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Wow, still bleeding after so long, that was a bad bite.  We usally have the option of drop in medical clinics on holidays, the hospital is always the last resort, but either option is probably still a good wait.  Try and keep pressure on it and try an ice pack on it as well. 

I'll be a little more gaurded on my run tomorrow morning, knowing what happened to you and knowing that I will be running into lots of off leash dogs. 

Like you I never blame the dogs, it's the owners who can't think beyond themselves. 

2010-04-03 7:09 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I didn't initially think it was that bad and hoped that "air drying" would be enough.  After that didn't work I just cleaned it up again and put some gauze on it and wrapped it with an ace bandage.  Hopefully that will work.  Enjoy your run, and I really hope I didn't spook people too bad about dogs.  Sorry about that.

I am meeting a buddy for a bike/run brick tomorrow morning that I still hope to make.

Edited by chichitao 2010-04-03 7:10 PM

2010-04-03 7:13 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Wow.  You contacted the police - that is good.  That way, the city has a record so when this happens again, it's not "the 1st time".

For your wife, since you know their are loose dogs in the area,  have her run with pepper spray and use it on the dogs.  They have to be trained NOT to mess with people.  If she doesn't like the idea of pepper spray, then use a water bottle with a sports top and spray the dogs while saying "no".

Keep us posted on the injury.
2010-04-03 7:45 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
That sucks!  I hate seeing dogs off their leashes.  Heck, I hate running and seeing a dog in a fenced in yard.  I panic thinking their might be an opening somewhere.  Is there some kind of urgent care center.  I know we have a few around here that are open 365 days a year from 9-9.  I took Joe to one for the H1N1 vaccine last year. 

This is one reason we felt as though we had to surrender our bulldog.  We don't trust him around other people because of the kids.  When he would be in the backyard, I would be so paranoid Joe would open the fence and Zeus would get out front.

Hope you heal quickly and still get to meet your buddy tomorrow!
2010-04-03 10:01 PM
in reply to: #2766900

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
My wife has pepper spray and that is what i recommended to her.  She said she would just run with her phone, but that doesn't really solve the problem of the dogs running after her!

I've still got the bite wrapped up.  We'll see how it looks in the morning.  Thanks for all the support. 

KenD - 2010-04-03 7:13 PM Wow.  You contacted the police - that is good.  That way, the city has a record so when this happens again, it's not "the 1st time".

For your wife, since you know their are loose dogs in the area,  have her run with pepper spray and use it on the dogs.  They have to be trained NOT to mess with people.  If she doesn't like the idea of pepper spray, then use a water bottle with a sports top and spray the dogs while saying "no".

Keep us posted on the injury.
2010-04-04 8:10 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I am being lazy, but here is what I posted on my blog today...

Probably a blessing in disguise, as I got up this morning to go meet my buddy for a brick workout and it was raining.  We decided to postpone until next week.

Leg is still bleeding a little bit and is very bruised and looking worse today.  I am not in pain though, just feels a little sore and tender in the area.  Will probably go have it looked at soon if the bleeding does not stop.  No sign of infection at this point.  Worried about what this will do to my workouts.  Don't want to get in a pool with an open wound so will probably stick to biking and running, but don't want to hinder the healing process.  Going to have to wrap it all day for work tomorrow so we'll see how it does with that.

For those interested I posted two pics up in my album.  One from right after the bite and one from today.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken D's Group - Shut Rss Feed  

of 28