Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 137

2009-02-20 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1972690

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - FULL

I've got a 13mi run planned for later today, should be very nice outside ~60 and sunny Sunday I'm planning on 70mi bike (~30-40 of which will be with a friend).

HIM isn't until 4/5 but it really does feel like it's coming up quick... after this weekend I only have two more full training weeks then my taper begins! 

Nicole83 - 2009-02-20 10:03 AM

Thank goodness for Friday.  Work is making my head spin this week! 

A girl I went to high school with and recently reconnected with is going to run with me this weekend (on Sunday) and I'm planning a nice easy bike on Saturday.  Anyone have any fun workouts going on this weekend?

Eric, isn't your HIM coming up super fast?

2009-02-20 11:19 AM
in reply to: #1972738

User image

Master
New York, NY
evondo - 2009-02-20 11:18 AM

I've got a 13mi run planned for later today, should be very nice outside ~60 and sunny Sunday I'm planning on 70mi bike (~30-40 of which will be with a friend).

HIM isn't until 4/5 but it really does feel like it's coming up quick... after this weekend I only have two more full training weeks then my taper begins! 

Great workouts planned!  You do realize that you're going to crush New Orleans, right?? 

I don't even think I remember what 60 degrees feels like anymore.  I get excited, and think it's "warm" when it's 35 or above!

I'm headed to pilates in a few minutes, and that will be it today since I'm heading out to visit my family for the weekend.  Tomorrow, probably an easy 4 mi run and somewhere between 8-10 miles for Sunday.

2009-02-20 11:34 AM
in reply to: #1970264

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Nicole83 - 2009-02-19 9:37 AM

She looked at me and said "YOU'RE a triathlete?  I thought all those crazy people were skinny."

Witch had a near death experience right then and there, I almost killed her.

Sorry gang, I was away from the computer yesterday...so I am trying to get caught up.

Nicole... you crack me up!!! That is the funniest thing I have read, since well your ovary ordeal! lol.  Whip that A!  ahhh ignorance is bliss... without people like that, what would we have to get all worked up about.  Everybody was Kung-foo fighting.... I know you just broke into song right now too!

2009-02-20 11:38 AM
in reply to: #1971497

User image

Newtons1st - 2009-02-19 3:37 PM

The first thing is I am now a proud memeber of the "Feel over because I didnt clip out fast enough" club.

Okay that just passed Nicole on the funny meter!  Ah yes, that awkward Oh Sh... feeling as you realize "there's no way out!...[insert low speed crash here]"  Been there, done that and got the T-shirt!

2009-02-20 11:47 AM
in reply to: #1856928

User image

Weekend training plans... well, I have a great swim workout scheduled for tomorrow.  I stole it from a buddy's coached training plan...3500m's.  That would be the most distance in a pool for me ever... looking forward to it.

Not sure after that...toss up between an easy bike or an easy run. I am leaning toward the bike.

Sunday...an AM 44mile group ride with Houston Racing Triathlon Club.  A training/social event to interact with club memebers and get some miles in.  I will probably do a 20minute transition run after, easier pace than yesterday.

I really am trying to pull back on the go hard or go home reins.  I am very happy with my best balanced training week ever though.  Three AM workouts...good bike and runs and swims, oh my!  I am starting to feel the groove coming on!

2009-02-20 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1972935

User image

Master
Houston

I sure hope so, my goals are pretty aggressive which is why the training is so aggressive. 

Just to remind ya, 60deg is the temperature that it feels good even from the start of the run, no warming up for the first 5-10mins freezing your butt off... not to rub it in or anything Of course with the 'mild' winters down here comes the sweat your a$$ off before starting to run 90+ deg humid summers. I personally don't mind them but many others do...

KelliD - 2009-02-20 11:19 AM

Great workouts planned!  You do realize that you're going to crush New Orleans, right?? 

I don't even think I remember what 60 degrees feels like anymore.  I get excited, and think it's "warm" when it's 35 or above!

I'm headed to pilates in a few minutes, and that will be it today since I'm heading out to visit my family for the weekend.  Tomorrow, probably an easy 4 mi run and somewhere between 8-10 miles for Sunday.

2009-02-20 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1973146

User image

Master
New York, NY
evondo - 2009-02-20 1:32 PM

Of course with the 'mild' winters down here comes the sweat your a$$ off before starting to run 90+ deg humid summers. I personally don't mind them but many others do...

[

Our summers aren't much better.  I don't think the temps get as  high, but the humidity is a killer.  I think the best solution is just to high-tail it out to San Diego (cue dream bubble clouds floating over my head)

2009-02-20 3:58 PM
in reply to: #1966907

User image

Master
New York, NY
KelliD - 2009-02-17 4:27 PM

Favorite "Make me wanna kick some booty" music - (what's on your Ipod that gets you motivated?)

But before a race a little Journey or some Bon Jovi always gets me pumped up.

I don't know how on earth I could have forgotten about these songs.  They're oldies, but always solid goodies!!! 

- Eye of the Tiger
- You're the Best Around (from Karate Kid)

2009-02-20 5:48 PM
in reply to: #1973598

User image

KelliD - 2009-02-20 3:39 PM 

I think the best solution is just to high-tail it out to San Diego (cue dream bubble clouds floating over my head)

Ahhh yes.  I spent 6 years in So Cal...1 yr or so in San Diego, the rest between Palm Springs and  Pasadena.   The weather makes up for the wierdness... I can't say that too loud, my wife is from So Cal.  Within a couple hours drive... desert, beach, mountains (snow)!  If I could afford it... San Diego (south) or Monterey (north), CA   like heaven on earth...

2009-02-20 5:52 PM
in reply to: #1973653

User image

KelliD - 2009-02-20 3:58 PM

- Eye of the Tiger
- You're the Best Around (from Karate Kid)

That's kinda funny...there is a radio station here that has a morning trivia thing, and when someone wins 5 days in a row they play... the Karate Kid tune. 

There is also a guy who is at every race...run/tri in Houston (Eric may seen him too... white van, skinny white dude w/ a big dog) he plays music at all these events on big speakers... Eye of the Tiger is a favorite of his.

Born to Run is another decent tune that gets played alllllll the time!  He makes it fun and is always cheering folks on.

2009-02-22 8:38 AM
in reply to: #1973830

User image

Master
New York, NY
Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-02-20 6:48 PM 

If I could afford it... San Diego (south) or Monterey (north), CA   like heaven on earth...

Ooh...this past fall I spent some time in Carmel and Monterey....loved it!!! 

2009-02-22 11:59 PM

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN

dang Eye of the Tiger! That brings back TONS of memories!!!  We used that song in out Kung Fu demonstrations all the time.  I almost tear up when I hear it, getting all nostalgic HEH.

I was in Ann Arbor this weekend visiting one my my old Kung Fu buddies.  I'm still recovering from being sick but I ran Mile intervals (2.5 miles) and swam about 300 yards at the gym where he works.  Puts my gym to shame, makes it look like a project or something.  They had a SALT WATER swimming pool! Then I drank to much that night so yeah HEH.  20 plus hours of being in a car this weekend.  I'm so glad to be home in my own bed!!!

2009-02-23 7:41 AM
in reply to: #1976594

User image

Master
Houston

Happy Monday everyone!

I thought I'd share my cure for cold feet while biking out in the cold since I didn't have a chance to pickup the 'stylish' covers that were discussed before.  Plastic grocery bags work great, just put your foot in, poke a little hole on the bottom for the cleat then tie the handles around your ankle and you're good to go!  My toes were perfectly warm and never went numb and it was 38 out when I started biking. Sorry I didn't take any pictures but I got quite a few wft looks during my ride this weekend so who knows what'll surface on the internet...

2009-02-23 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1976721

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
evondo - 2009-02-23 8:41 AM

Happy Monday everyone!

I thought I'd share my cure for cold feet while biking out in the cold since I didn't have a chance to pickup the 'stylish' covers that were discussed before.  Plastic grocery bags work great, just put your foot in, poke a little hole on the bottom for the cleat then tie the handles around your ankle and you're good to go!  My toes were perfectly warm and never went numb and it was 38 out when I started biking. Sorry I didn't take any pictures but I got quite a few wft looks during my ride this weekend so who knows what'll surface on the internet...

I really do think that I would pay to see this.  Espeically since I'm sure you have a high-tech bike, pretty high tech cycling clothing, super high-tech aero helmet, and plastic grocery bags.  Awesome.

Thanks for the laugh first thing on a Monday.

2009-02-23 7:54 AM
in reply to: #1976729

User image

Master
Houston

Funny part was I wore my aero helmet for the first time yesterday to make sure it was alright before the race. Ended up switching back to normal helmet after 40 though because I thought I was going to get a sun burn line on my forehead between the helmet and my sunglasses

Bike isn't anything too over the top, Cervelo P2-SL. After beating this bike up for the past year, I really don't think I could get a carbon bike I think I'd break it...

Clothes might surprise ya, I wear baggy shorts/shirts to train with. Showing up for a group ride is always fun cause they immediately think what the hell is this guy doing.

Nicole83 - 2009-02-23 7:44 AM

I really do think that I would pay to see this.  Espeically since I'm sure you have a high-tech bike, pretty high tech cycling clothing, super high-tech aero helmet, and plastic grocery bags.  Awesome.

2009-02-23 8:22 AM
in reply to: #1976738

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

That is pretty surprising.  I figured you for a neon electic yellow (or perhaps even orange) jersey kind of guy with some sort of high tech compression cycling shorts.

Hey, at least I didn't mentally have you wearing hot pink, right?

evondo - 2009-02-23 8:54 AM

Funny part was I wore my aero helmet for the first time yesterday to make sure it was alright before the race. Ended up switching back to normal helmet after 40 though because I thought I was going to get a sun burn line on my forehead between the helmet and my sunglasses

Bike isn't anything too over the top, Cervelo P2-SL. After beating this bike up for the past year, I really don't think I could get a carbon bike I think I'd break it...

Clothes might surprise ya, I wear baggy shorts/shirts to train with. Showing up for a group ride is always fun cause they immediately think what the hell is this guy doing.

2009-02-23 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1976786

User image

Master
Houston

I save the hot pink for races, psyches out the competition

Nicole83 - 2009-02-23 8:22 AM

That is pretty surprising.  I figured you for a neon electic yellow (or perhaps even orange) jersey kind of guy with some sort of high tech compression cycling shorts.

Hey, at least I didn't mentally have you wearing hot pink, right?

evondo - 2009-02-23 8:54 AM

2009-02-23 9:51 AM

User image

I like the plastic bag trick.  I keep them in my gear bag for donning the wetsuit, so I could always keep some extras for throw down shoe covers.

I was out of commision Saturday night and Sunday morning ('til about 3ish before I really started to feel normal again)  Definitely bad food.  It came on pretty sudden and was done fairly quick.  Thank god it wasn't one of the lingering (internet bugs) that has plagued a few of our folks.  I was very dissappointed in missing my planned ride.  I was looking forward to the "group" ride with people from the tri club and getting in some miles...

I totally flaked on my planned AM trainer ride this morning.  I set the bike up, set the alarm, and couldn't get myself to do it.  Super lathargic and crashed on the couch for an extra 45minutes of sleep.  Which just lead to more disappointment and a slow start to my morning.  I must put it behind me and start a new tomorrow...     Sometimes that is easier said than done!!!

2009-02-23 9:59 AM

User image

Eric is able to get away with the baggy clothes, and the plastic bag shoe covers, becuase he can flat crank it out on the bike... no one's gonna say much - other than, just think how fast you would be if you were all decked out in the latest high-speed, low-drag, super hot kit... Rock Racing esque...  He doesn't have to "look" like he knows what he is doing...like the rest of us!   Hey, you can win if you don't look good - is how I justify my bright pink "look at me" I am secure in my manhood - racing gear... ; p

2009-02-23 10:16 AM

User image

Speaking of eye of the tiger... my wife's work sent this out, via email, to its employees as motivation.

http://www.finishstrongmovie.com/

2009-02-23 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

Good morning all. I am feeling pretty good this morning after the Dual yesterday. I had 2 main goals of, 1. Dont forget something Major 2. Finish. I was successfull on both of them. I am surprised on how well my calfs felt after the race and today, They started to bother me during the race but they dont bother me at today. I still plan on taking some time of running. 2 mile run 16 mile bike and 2 mile run all done in 1:36.

I did do a full race report and posted it in that forum section.

The bike mount went real good. As I was jogging to the bike mount I passed 2 guys who were running in thier bike shoes. I also passed about 5 at the mount line when they stopped to get on and I just ran and jumped on. I felt that part went real well.

Even though the course whas fairly flat there were some slopes up and down. I found that vs the people that were around me I do alot better going down hill than up hill. A couple would pass me going up and I would pass them plus a few more going down. Also my speed sensor was not working to start so that sucked, but at least I did have the cadence part.  Overall I need to work on my biking.

I had a great time and am working on planning my next one. I really think I will do 2 and maybe 3 more this year. Also I think droppping some extra weight will help. Its hard carring around 210 lbs.

2009-02-23 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1977084

User image

Master
New York, NY
Newtons1st - 2009-02-23 11:26 AM

Good morning all. I am feeling pretty good this morning after the Dual yesterday. I had 2 main goals of, 1. Dont forget something Major 2. Finish. I was successfull on both of them. I am surprised on how well my calfs felt after the race and today, They started to bother me during the race but they dont bother me at today. I still plan on taking some time of running. 2 mile run 16 mile bike and 2 mile run all done in 1:36.

The bike mount went real good. As I was jogging to the bike mount I passed 2 guys who were running in thier bike shoes. I also passed about 5 at the mount line when they stopped to get on and I just ran and jumped on. I felt that part went real well.

Even though the course whas fairly flat there were some slopes up and down. I found that vs the people that were around me I do alot better going down hill than up hill. A couple would pass me going up and I would pass them plus a few more going down. Also my speed sensor was not working to start so that sucked, but at least I did have the cadence part.  Overall I need to work on my biking.

I had a great time and am working on planning my next one. I really think I will do 2 and maybe 3 more this year. Also I think droppping some extra weight will help. Its hard carring around 210 lbs.

Sounds like you had a great race, and more importantly a great time for your first race!!  Congrats!

2009-02-23 12:54 PM

User image

Great job! Glad to hear you had a good race.  No wrecks, no injuries, had fun...not much more you can ask for!  Way to go Duathlete!!!

Newtons1st - 2009-02-23 10:26 AM

2009-02-23 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Houston

Congrats! From the race report, it sounds like you had a lot of fun and raced it right which is very impressive for your first duathlon! I'm jealous over the flying mount/dismount, think I'm going to start practicing those this week

Newtons1st - 2009-02-23 10:26 AM

2009-02-23 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

I guess I thought everyone did the flying mount. I only saw a few bikes in the racks with thier shoes clipped in. When I first started looking I didnt see any and I was getting worried that I couldnt have my shoes clipped in to start. Then I saw some that were.

I saw it on a video on here somehwere but this is how I do it.  I take 2 rubber bands. Not the industrial strength ones but ones that hold but dont break. I wrap the band around the left pedal and the rear lock down latch on the rear skewer. Then the 2nd one goes around my shoe and my bottle cage. This holds the right shoe horizontal. I jog holding the seat until I was past the line, then moved my hands to the bars. While running jump and swing right leg over as my rump lands on seat and right foot lands on shoe. Start peddling and catch the left shoe as it comes up. Both rubber bands snap and I have both feet on my shoes and pedling.  My shoes have 2 velcro straps and I start them off real loose. Get up to a decent speed and slide each foot in while it is a 9 0'clock. Hope that helps.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 137