Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-05-18 5:31 PM
in reply to: #2159049

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
Subject: RE: kenj group - Closed
WittyCityGirl - 2009-05-18 3:56 PM Husband and I are biking from Binghamton, NY to Pulaski, NY ~ 130 miles. =) EEEK!

Excellent!!!  Sounds like fun!

2009-05-21 9:06 AM
in reply to: #1859832

User image

Veteran
Houston
Memorial Day - no events or big plans, spend some family time since my wife/daughter are getting back from a week's stay in New Orleans. My daughter is checking out LSU/Baton Rouge area with possibility of tranferring in fall. I will get in some riding and an OWS somewhere. I'd like to see Wolverine or Terminator with my son, girls won't be interested.
2009-05-26 2:36 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Hey Guys!!!

Everyone get back to the workin' grind alright? 
2009-05-27 6:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, North Carolina
Can anyone give me some ideas on the tightness and pain I'm getting in my calf muscles including my left achilles tendon.  I'm not doing anything new, in fact I've had to back off my training schedule.  I am stretching as normal.  I had pain start during a swim workout last Thursday and they have been tight and painful since.  Did a 25 mile ride and played golf last Friday and I could barely walk first thing on Saturday.

Any ideas?  More water?  Calcium?  Endurolyte?
2009-05-27 8:04 AM
in reply to: #2174880

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

kweezen - 2009-05-27 7:48 AM Can anyone give me some ideas on the tightness and pain I'm getting in my calf muscles including my left achilles tendon.  I'm not doing anything new, in fact I've had to back off my training schedule.  I am stretching as normal.  I had pain start during a swim workout last Thursday and they have been tight and painful since.  Did a 25 mile ride and played golf last Friday and I could barely walk first thing on Saturday.

Any ideas?  More water?  Calcium?  Endurolyte?

My experience with achilles tendon, and I have plenty, is that once you have a problem with it the best treatment is ibuprofen and ice.  It is probably best to give it a rest too.  Kind of surprised that the achilles acted up during a swim, but if the calf cramped (which I deal with that swimming too) and you tried to walk a lot or run with a tight calf, your adjusted gait may have aggravated it. To prevent it, make sure you are stretching your hamstrings and calves out after a warm up of walking or an easy spin on the bike.  Also, when I swim I find that I get calf cramps if I push off the wall too hard or don't bring some gatorade with me to sip on between sets. 

An overly simple explanation of the way the achilles work is that the tendon is in a sleeve.  When it is agravated, it swells and then does not move freely within the sleeve, thus the pain.  Soft ground or a lot of up hills will agravate it as it flexes your foot in a manner that over extends it.  The worse thing you could do is try to ignore it and train through the pain and risk tearing it.  So be careful!

2009-05-27 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2175003

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the tips Ken.  Yes, I do push off the wall pretty hard and that could have done it.  I will take it easy for a while and do more stretching.  The tendons seem to stiffen up from sitting or sleeping and the pain is worse when first walking afterward.  Then they loosen up a bit.  Will also try the Gatorade and ibuprofen.

2009-05-27 10:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
Sorry, I'm no help on the Achilles tendon.  I can only say that my MT, affectionately known as Carlie the Butcher, has been seriously stretching and digging around in my muscles and my calf pain hasn't resurfaced.  Apparently there is some satisfaction she gains by laying me on my stomach and grabbing my shin bone through the calf muscle.  It's great fun and a barrel of laughs for her.

On another note;  I had an interesting (to me anyway) experience at the pool today.  Sorry for the lengthy post....

I swim at an adult activity center where you have to be at least 50 years old to get in the door.  Most folks there are well past that.  Let's just say that in that environment I am very young and very, very fit.  I was finishing up today when a 60-something guy got in the lane next to me.  He was sporting the old-guy belly that everyone there has (including most of the women) but he was obviously a strong guy.  Not lean, but big across the shoulders and through the chest.

He started swimming and I finally got to see a demonstration of what I've been reading about.  Slow, easy strokes - but the guy flew through the water.  It was amazing!!  At one point I started swimming a length as he was finishing a lap and nearing my end.  I wasn't screwing around, trying to swim some 50 yard sprints.  When I finished my length he had made the turn and was waiting for me.  Now, I know there are tons of people who are faster than I am, but I've not run into any of them at the adult activity center.  And he was making no real effort.  This guys was like some kind of Zen swimmer.  It was awesome!!

We visited when he got out of the pool.  Ex-Marine, ex-commercial diver, ex-competitive swimmer, ex-swim coach, current student of the sport.  He says he reads and studies everything he can find on swimming.  For the past four years he's been trying to perfect his stroke.  I asked for some tips and he listed several things I could do to improve.  He had been watching everyone in the pool and explained what each one was doing right or wrong.  He had me nailed too.  "You're putting out way too much energy to be going so slow.  One thing you could do is stop kicking.  Your poor kick form is actually slowing you down on your breathing stroke."  He gave me a couple of kick drills, demonstrated proper form laying on a bench in the locker room, and finished with, "Either learn to kick properly or just don't do it.  It's not helping you."

Other advice:  "You're not crossing your body with your arm when it enters the water, which is good.  But your arm is bent at the elbow as you push it forward.  You're presenting way too much surface area during your stroke."  "Get tall, get thin.  Present absolutely as little surface area to the water as possible.  Don't slap the water, but stretch with every stroke."  "You don't get fast by having a powerful stroke.  You get fast by being streamlined."  "Quit counting laps for a while and focus on your stroke.  Trying to keep track of laps is distracting and it doesn't matter right now anyway."

Anyway, it was so cool to see someone seemingly effortlessly fly through the water.  Very inspiring.  I hope to run into him again at the pool.

Looking for that running Zen guy next.

2009-05-28 4:31 AM
in reply to: #2177372

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

snaproll - 2009-05-27 11:28 PM Sorry, I'm no help on the Achilles tendon.  I can only say that my MT, affectionately known as Carlie the Butcher, has been seriously stretching and digging around in my muscles and my calf pain hasn't resurfaced.  Apparently there is some satisfaction she gains by laying me on my stomach and grabbing my shin bone through the calf muscle.  It's great fun and a barrel of laughs for her.

On another note;  I had an interesting (to me anyway) experience at the pool today.  Sorry for the lengthy post....

I swim at an adult activity center where you have to be at least 50 years old to get in the door.  Most folks there are well past that.  Let's just say that in that environment I am very young and very, very fit.  I was finishing up today when a 60-something guy got in the lane next to me.  He was sporting the old-guy belly that everyone there has (including most of the women) but he was obviously a strong guy.  Not lean, but big across the shoulders and through the chest.

He started swimming and I finally got to see a demonstration of what I've been reading about.  Slow, easy strokes - but the guy flew through the water.  It was amazing!!  At one point I started swimming a length as he was finishing a lap and nearing my end.  I wasn't screwing around, trying to swim some 50 yard sprints.  When I finished my length he had made the turn and was waiting for me.  Now, I know there are tons of people who are faster than I am, but I've not run into any of them at the adult activity center.  And he was making no real effort.  This guys was like some kind of Zen swimmer.  It was awesome!!

We visited when he got out of the pool.  Ex-Marine, ex-commercial diver, ex-competitive swimmer, ex-swim coach, current student of the sport.  He says he reads and studies everything he can find on swimming.  For the past four years he's been trying to perfect his stroke.  I asked for some tips and he listed several things I could do to improve.  He had been watching everyone in the pool and explained what each one was doing right or wrong.  He had me nailed too.  "You're putting out way too much energy to be going so slow.  One thing you could do is stop kicking.  Your poor kick form is actually slowing you down on your breathing stroke."  He gave me a couple of kick drills, demonstrated proper form laying on a bench in the locker room, and finished with, "Either learn to kick properly or just don't do it.  It's not helping you."

Other advice:  "You're not crossing your body with your arm when it enters the water, which is good.  But your arm is bent at the elbow as you push it forward.  You're presenting way too much surface area during your stroke."  "Get tall, get thin.  Present absolutely as little surface area to the water as possible.  Don't slap the water, but stretch with every stroke."  "You don't get fast by having a powerful stroke.  You get fast by being streamlined."  "Quit counting laps for a while and focus on your stroke.  Trying to keep track of laps is distracting and it doesn't matter right now anyway."

Anyway, it was so cool to see someone seemingly effortlessly fly through the water.  Very inspiring.  I hope to run into him again at the pool.

Looking for that running Zen guy next.

Great post!  I swim with a bunch of guys like that in my masters group (both younger and older)! Good advice that he gave you, tough to get comfortable with the stretch and glide!

2009-05-28 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Chip, nice post, how fortunate to have this master swimmer take you under his fin for some great tips and guidance. I didn't understand the arm surface area thing, does he mean enter the water closer to your head rather than stretched out further away? He sounds like a great mentor.
2009-05-28 10:23 PM
in reply to: #2179005

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
wakehr - 2009-05-28 1:39 PM Chip, nice post, how fortunate to have this master swimmer take you under his fin for some great tips and guidance. I didn't understand the arm surface area thing, does he mean enter the water closer to your head rather than stretched out further away? He sounds like a great mentor.

"Under his fin."  LOL.

No, what he was saying is that my hand is entering the water close to the head like I'm supposed to, and I'm not reaching across my body as I stretch my arm out which is a good thing.  But after my arm enters the water as I move it forward my elbow is bent, so my entire forearm is pushing water rather than just my hand.  Does that make sense?  All I need to do is straighten my arm at the elbow and I'll eliminate that problem.
2009-06-08 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Finally, researchers confirm it. Beer is better !!

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/3467

2009-06-08 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston
This is how I felt this morning...somehow gained 5 lbs over the weekend ! gotta be scale..I hope

(taking.aim.weight..jpg)

Attachments
----------------
taking.aim.weight..jpg (32KB - 3 downloads)
2009-06-08 6:10 PM
in reply to: #2201849

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

wakehr - 2009-06-08 11:03 AM Finally, researchers confirm it. Beer is better !! http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/3467

Isn't that why we do this? Although being a morning person, drinking beer before work may have unpleasant consequences!

2009-06-08 6:14 PM
in reply to: #2202274

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
wakehr - 2009-06-08 11:27 AM This is how I felt this morning...somehow gained 5 lbs over the weekend ! gotta be scale..I hope

Dude, am I ever with you on this.  I'm trying hard to drop a few lbs before my bike trip next week.  I really watched what I ate all last week - very strict.  I dropped 3 lbs, good start.  I had two pieces of pizza last night and this morning I'm up 3 lbs.  WTF?  So I have one more week to drop about 8 lbs before my trip.  It's not gonna happen.
2009-06-10 5:35 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
You boys have been chatty! I just thought I'd pop in and see what's going on. =)
2009-06-21 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
Photos from my first bike tour this summer:

www.pointsix.net/pueblo

Hope everyone is having a great summer!

Edited by snaproll 2009-06-21 9:20 AM

2009-06-22 4:41 AM
in reply to: #2231666

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

snaproll - 2009-06-21 10:19 AM Photos from my first bike tour this summer:

www.pointsix.net/pueblo

Looks like you had a good time, other than the flat tires! It had to be a huge releif to see the Welcome to Arkansas sign!!!

2009-06-23 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2231666

User image

Master
Dunedin
Thanks for sharing the pics! I'm jealous!

snaproll - 2009-06-21 10:19 AM Photos from my first bike tour this summer:

www.pointsix.net/pueblo

2009-06-25 8:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Thought I'd post a disappointment last Friday regarding our govenor's vetoing the 3 feet passing bill in Texas. Sad thing is this guy is an avid mountain bike rider, he's one of us !! His rebuttal to why he voted the bill is so idiotic.

http://www.everymantri.com/everyman_triathlon/2009/06/texas-governo...

2009-07-02 2:11 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Happy 4th everyone!  Have a safe weekend!

Good luck with your upcoming races!!!

2009-07-10 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Mental six-pack. During training we all face physical and mind games. Many times we are our own worse critic when we should be our own best friend. Have a great weekend everyone!

Motivation

A Native American elder was asked how he handled his own inner struggles about his abilities and achieving his intentions for himself and his people.
He replied: "Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is unhappy, insecure and full of doubt. He is harsh and negative and quick with criticism. The other dog is joyful and confident. He is supportive and inviting to play. The doubtful dog fights the confident dog all the time."

When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied,

"The one I feed the most."

As triathletes,we are confronted daily with complex situations and challenges, it's our decision to act or be acted upon. Which dog are you feeding in your daily life? Which dog are you feeding in your WODs? When the minute 15 mark rolls around, will you feed the dog that's telling you, "$#@! this is hard...just ride it out, don't work too hard, no one's watching!" Or will you feed the dog that's licking it's lips, smiling and saying, "sprint to the finish... you got this, anything is possible, 3...2...1... GO!"

Mantras when things get tough:

1) The pain I am feeling now is nothing compared to the pain I will feel if I do not meet my goals.

2) This is not a Hill but something that helps me have a better view from the top.

3) Pain in fear leaving the body. ( a good pain)

4) Work works.

2009-07-10 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2277027

User image

Master
Dunedin
Thanks for sharing! I like the mantras at the end. =)
2009-07-12 6:25 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good story Wayne!

Mantra's are a great mental tool to get through tough workouts or races!  I had a couple written on my arms during LP last year! 

2009-07-17 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2278894

User image

Veteran
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE IN THE MUSSELMAN EVENT.  SWIM IN RHYTHYM, BOP TILL YOU DROP, AND RUN LIKE THE WIND.
2009-07-20 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2292876

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

kweezen - 2009-07-17 9:58 PM GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE IN THE MUSSELMAN EVENT.  SWIM IN RHYTHYM, BOP TILL YOU DROP, AND RUN LIKE THE WIND.

Sara rocked the course and broke 6 hours in her first HIM!!!  Way to go!

Me, I got my moneys worth and had a great time!!!  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 29