2010-01-30 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2643903

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Experior's Group - CLOSED
juneapple - 2010-01-29 9:58 PM
Well, I couldn't in good faith deny the charge of hardcore.  Wink

But I do think that practicing transitions is a good idea, even if one is much more casual about the whole thing.  The point for all of us of course is to have fun, and totally screwing up your transitions is not particularly fun.  I've seen people run out of T1 without their bike, struggle forever to get bike shoes on, fall off the bike while attempting to dismount, etc., etc..  Of course, these things will happen, but best to minimize the chances.

Michael is seriously hardcore :-)  It's what makes him a great mentor.

So let me share a really embarrassing moment to underscore why practicing transitions is important.  My first (and only) OLY length last Fall... came out of the swim a little disoriented (despite being a good swimmer, I had a few moments about halfway through that surprised me)... got through the transition pretty quickly, headed out on the bike and had gone about 3 miles when I realized that I had forgotten to put my helmet on.  I have *never* ridden without a helmet and the fact that I a) forgot to put it on and b) didn't realize it for 15 minutes or so tells you something (yes, I am a bit absent-minded as well peanut gallery).  Anyway, I think had I practiced transitions, that would have at least been less likely to have happened (and I probably would have come up with a good system for helmet placement so it would have been almost impossible to forget it).  That was a big fat DQ. 

OK... now watching a bit of a blizzard here in Charlotte hoping to take off very soon.

Happy weekend everyone!
-Stu

I've taken off on a training ride without my helmet before.  It usually occurs to me after a few blocks.  Fortunately, never in a race (knock on wood...).

2010-01-31 12:28 AM
in reply to: #2644675

User image

Expert
Experior - 2010-01-30 4:44 PM
juneapple - 2010-01-29 9:58 PM
Well, I couldn't in good faith deny the charge of hardcore.  Wink

But I do think that practicing transitions is a good idea, even if one is much more casual about the whole thing.  The point for all of us of course is to have fun, and totally screwing up your transitions is not particularly fun.  I've seen people run out of T1 without their bike, struggle forever to get bike shoes on, fall off the bike while attempting to dismount, etc., etc..  Of course, these things will happen, but best to minimize the chances.

Michael is seriously hardcore :-)  It's what makes him a great mentor.

So let me share a really embarrassing moment to underscore why practicing transitions is important.  My first (and only) OLY length last Fall... came out of the swim a little disoriented (despite being a good swimmer, I had a few moments about halfway through that surprised me)... got through the transition pretty quickly, headed out on the bike and had gone about 3 miles when I realized that I had forgotten to put my helmet on.  I have *never* ridden without a helmet and the fact that I a) forgot to put it on and b) didn't realize it for 15 minutes or so tells you something (yes, I am a bit absent-minded as well peanut gallery).  Anyway, I think had I practiced transitions, that would have at least been less likely to have happened (and I probably would have come up with a good system for helmet placement so it would have been almost impossible to forget it).  That was a big fat DQ. 

OK... now watching a bit of a blizzard here in Charlotte hoping to take off very soon.

Happy weekend everyone!
-Stu

I've taken off on a training ride without my helmet before.  It usually occurs to me after a few blocks.  Fortunately, never in a race (knock on wood...).

I ride my bike to work a few days a week during the summer. On more than one occasion I've left the office at the end of the day without my helmet. It's particularly embarrassing for me to go back for it, because I work with adults that have Traumatic Brain Injury. They all yell at me, and I can't blame them.

Embarrassing t1 event: I sat down on my milk crate and it shattered underneath me! It's hard to keep my head in the game when I'm thinking "Holy Crap! I'm so fat I just shattered a milk crate!"
2010-01-31 6:15 AM
in reply to: #2631299

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Experior's Group - January Goals - Final Results!
Hi Everyone,

Good news was that I was able to get out of Charlotte and arrived here in Florida around 3am Saturday morning.  Drove my mom over to Miami and back yesterday (didn't see Spleen though)... so Christmas present worked out - phew that was close!  Bad news was that my Wed-Sat was pretty much a bust on the nutrition / exercise front, so I bonked on the January goals so close to the finish line.  Typical sprinter :-)  Up 2 lbs for my last week.  But down 4 for the month which at 1 lb / week, I'll take any day.

Fortunately, the team had a good week.  Phil met his one mile swim goal.  Brian, Scout, Michael, and Mark all lost 6+ lbs for the month.   Brian and Michael hit their core and kicking goals, respectively.  The team lost a total of 48.8 lbs with still a few left to report... might make 50 total!!!  That's really awesome.  Averaged over 1/lb a week / person.

Weight Loss GoalProgressOther GoalProgress
Brian-10 (-6)
-7.42 days/week core workMet 4x
Heidi-4 0.0Run 3x / week + Swim
Met 1x
Mark-4-6.0  
Melinda-4-2.4  
Michael-6-6.4750m of kick drills/weekMet 4x
Pete-6-5.0  
Phil-8-5.41 mile non-stop swim1750m
Scout-10 (-5)
Stu-8 (-6)
-4.0Reach 7 hrs of training/week
7hrs 1x
Sylvain  Core workouts 2x / week 
Ted-5-5.0  

Edited by juneapple 2010-02-03 4:54 PM
2010-01-31 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2555870

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Stu - Thanks for all of the work that you did in keeping track of our goals/progress in January.  In thinking about my February goals, I'm taking a different approach.  I'm not sure if it was on BT or on runners world, but there was a recent thread about an indoor, week long  ironman.  The jist of the thread was that a Y somewhere was challenging it's members to do an ironman in a week.  Over the course of a week, they had to swim 2.4, run 26.2 and bike 112.

My Feb goals are going to be along those lines.  BUT, I'm thinking along the lines of HOW MANY ironmans I can complete in February for each discipline.  The only caveat for me is that my bike number won't be as high as the swim and run numbers because I'm sticking to Jorge's plan, and I won't deviate from it.  With doing intervals on the bike like Jorge has setup, there is to much recovery to keep the miles high.  I'll break mine down into each discipline instead of just saying X number of Ironmans.  I'm going to shoot for the following:

Run - 4  ~ I'd like to run at least 26.2 miles a week.
swim - 6 ~ this is roughly 15 miles.
bike - 2 ~ just over 50 miles a week on the trainer.

So I guess the question is, how many Ironman's are YOU going to do in February?

Edited by scout21 2010-01-31 10:02 AM
2010-01-31 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
I didn't acheive my goal of 2 cores/week, so for February I will meet that goal and not miss a single workout. Also, I will lose 5 lbs.

Congratulation to all whom have met their January goals.

Sylvain

Edited by sstucker 2010-01-31 11:30 AM
2010-01-31 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
DC
Heidi- hilarious story about the milk crate.  I'm laughing with you not at you...at a party this past summer I blew out a leg on a plastic patio chair and toppled over.  They don't make plastics like they used to.

I like the idea of the IM training goals.  Put me down for 2 of them in the running department. As for cycling, I'm still using time as my primary measure. My goal for Feb is 10 hours on the trainer.

2010-01-31 5:33 PM
in reply to: #2645490

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
scout21 - 2010-01-31 10:54 AM Stu - Thanks for all of the work that you did in keeping track of our goals/progress in January.

x2!

So I guess the question is, how many Ironman's are YOU going to do in February?

That's a fun way to measure volume.  I like it.  I was going to make my goal to hit all of my planned weekly workouts.  I'll measure it your way.  So, looking at my February plan, it goes like this:

SWIM: 10
BIKE: 4
RUN:  4

My bike 'IMs' will have to be measured in hours, because a lot of that mileage will be on the trainer, and there is little connection between 'trainer miles' and road miles.  I did IMKY in 6 hours, so I'll say that 6 hrs = 1 IM.

My run 'IMs' will be split a bit unevenly because I have one lower volume week scheduled in Feb., but it should total up to 4 by the end of the month.

My other goal:  3 core workouts per week.  (I struggled to get 2 per week in this month, so I definitely need to work on that.)

I hope you all had a great weekend.  It was cold here, but sunny, so I braved the cold and did a long ride.  My Cliff Bar froze!  They aren't so good as popsicles...
2010-01-31 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2645601

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sstucker - 2010-01-31 12:27 PM I didn't acheive my goal of 2 cores/week, so for February I will meet that goal and not miss a single workout. Also, I will lose 5 lbs. Congratulation to all whom have met their January goals. Sylvain

I didn't achieve my core workout goals either.  My plan this month is to check out Brian's logs regularly.  He is a core machine.  Not to put pressure on you Brian, but you're gonna be my motivation this month to get my core work done.
2010-01-31 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2646083

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Experior - 2010-01-31 5:33 PM

My bike 'IMs' will have to be measured in hours, because a lot of that mileage will be on the trainer, and there is little connection between 'trainer miles' and road miles.  I did IMKY in 6 hours, so I'll say that 6 hrs = 1 IM.

I actually use the mileage from a cheap computer that I have on my bike.  I have a mag trainer, and I have the resistance cranked up enough that I get a good workout in all of the gears of my bike.  It's actually set to be a little harder than riding on the road.  In one of my tri's last year - a very flat course - I averaged I think 18 or 19 mph.  When not doing a Jorge workout, I'll average 15-16 mph on the trainer, so I figure it's close enough for govt work.

Scout
2010-01-31 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2646180

User image

Expert
Salem
Experior - 2010-01-31 4:51 PM
sstucker - 2010-01-31 12:27 PM I didn't acheive my goal of 2 cores/week, so for February I will meet that goal and not miss a single workout. Also, I will lose 5 lbs. Congratulation to all whom have met their January goals. Sylvain

I didn't achieve my core workout goals either.  My plan this month is to check out Brian's logs regularly.  He is a core machine.  Not to put pressure on you Brian, but you're gonna be my motivation this month to get my core work done.

No pressure...It is surprising how fast the core workouts go..one right after another.  I have found that not using weights and doing just the core workouts is so much less pounding on the body and I enjoy doing them more.  I tried to add in dips and pullups this past week and as you can see (if you were to look at my last Sat. workout) my reps are very minimal.  I just couldn't lift my body.  I 'll keep doing them and see if I can add one rep. each time.  Using the fitness ball in my the Core Workouts adds the need for balance as well.

I think since starting the Core workouts I have been able to run better.  I notice no back pain or aching whatsoever.  I'll have to wait and see on the bike as I have not been out on the road yet.

Did an 8.22 mile run this afternoon in 55 degree weather and partly sunny skies; quite a nice run.  Pace (9:45 or so) was a little higher than I wanted it to be, but it was hard to run so slow.  Recovery week this week and then I'll start my Olympic plan .  The 12 week point is exactly the same week as my First Sprint Tri.  Pool Swim I believe a 15+ mile bike and a 5K.  It'll be a nice test to see where I am at.

I'll have to think about Feb. Goals.  Definitely still working on the weight loss.
2010-01-31 7:36 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
I forgot to mention in my last ramble;  GREAT JOB EVERYONE ON THE WEIGHTLOSS TOTALS AND REACHING SET GOALS.  TREMENDOUS EFFORT AND DEDICATION!!!

2010-01-31 8:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. Well, I am here to report on my first triathlon. It was an indoor tri put on by our local YMCA. The breakdown was a 500m swim, 9 miles on a spin bike, followed by a 3-mile run.

The swim: No one ever explained to me the adrenaline factor. I was so hyped, the whistle blew, and I exploded off the wall like a bat out of hell. I made my first turn and I thought, “I’m not going to finish!” Mind you, I just swam 1750m two days before. I was sucking air and water! I slowed it down and began to take slower and deeper breaths. The 500m was supposed to be 10 laps. After lap, nine the teenage volunteer was suppose to put a red kick board into the water to let me know I had one lap remaining. I get to lap nine and no kick board. I popped my head out of the water and shouted: “THAT WAS NINE”! Well, went I came back there was the red kick board. Therefore, I actually swam 550m and I did not even get any bonus points.

T1: I now see the value of tri-suits. The transition area was set up in the gym next to the bike room, but I had to get my wet suit off and bike clothes on in the locker room. Guess what? I LOCKED MY BIKE CLOTHES IN THE LOCKER! I had to unlock the locker, get my wet clothes off, and try to get my dry clothes on over semi-dry body parts. I fussed with my socks for what seemed like twenty minutes, gave, and put my shoes on without sock. Ran to the bike area and realized I forgot my HRM. Turned around got the HRM and headed back towards the bikes. Got the bike set up and was off.

Bike: Uneventful. Except the night before I sank my mp3 player with some new tunes. In the middle of my Beastie Boys play list, Harry Connick Jr. starts playing. Love Harry but his style is not very contusive to moving your legs very fast. Finished keeping HR as close to threshold as possible.

T2: I had to move my “rubbery” legs up two flights of stairs to the fitness area. I had to tighten my shoelaces.

Run: It felt strange running without socks. It took about a mile to lose the “rubbery” feeling in my legs. It crossed my mind at the 1-mile mark that I may not be able to finish; But the Beastie Boys kicked in and carried me home. I finished in 35:30 an average of 11:49. I was pleased with the time considering it was close to my normal pace, even after the swim and bike.

Results: Although I was 9 out of eleven, (at least I was'nt last) I had a lot of fun.  I realize this race was rather modest compared to some of the races those in the group have completed, but I am hooked and looking forward to bigger and better races to come! I've come along ways over the last seven months and I really appreciate evryones experience, knowledge and encouragement. Thanks,

Phil

Edited by StlPhil 2010-01-31 8:32 PM
2010-01-31 8:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Phil - OUTSTANDING!  RE the HRM - I did something similar in my first tri.  After the bike, I left my garmin on the bike and didn't realize until about 100 yards into the run.   I didn't turn around and had no idea of my pace or distance, so I didn't really know how hard to push.

Scout
2010-01-31 8:44 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Phil -- I love the race report!  And fantastic job on the tri!

I think it's great that you ended up running sockless.  It's funny how necessity somehow teaches us good lessons.  Now you know that you can go sockless, and not bother with them in future races.
2010-01-31 11:39 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
I see some of you have your goals right written down above your training logs.  How did you do that?  I'd probably be able to figure it out, but would rather have someone tell me how so I'm not wasting alot of time looking around.

THX.
2010-02-01 12:28 AM
in reply to: #2646599

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
TriGuyBri - 2010-02-01 12:39 AM

I see some of you have your goals right written down above your training logs.  How did you do that?  I'd probably be able to figure it out, but would rather have someone tell me how so I'm not wasting alot of time looking around.

THX.

Go to top click on "Settings", then on "Training Blog Customization" then on "Dashboard".

2010-02-01 7:31 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Good morning everyone.  Have a great Monday.  It's recovery training for me today.
2010-02-01 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
Brian- Great new Avatar!

Phil-Awesome race! I think the indoor tri's at the Y pose a lot of technical/transition challenges that you don't face in an outdoor tri.
Nice Job!
-Heidi
2010-02-01 10:19 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Phil,

Congrats on your performance, and thanks for the race report.

Mike
2010-02-01 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
I missed my 8 mile long run yesterday, well I went out did about 1.5 miles before calling it quits. The cold wind was given me an earache and had to stop. Now, I’m trying to figure out how to add the mileage into my recovery week. Was going to perform tonight but have to get my swim in. I think I’m just going to skip it and continue with the plan. The bad part is I was enjoying the run until my ear started screaming at me. Where is spring???

2010-02-01 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2646617

User image

Expert
Salem
sstucker - 2010-01-31 10:28 PM
TriGuyBri - 2010-02-01 12:39 AM I see some of you have your goals right written down above your training logs.  How did you do that?  I'd probably be able to figure it out, but would rather have someone tell me how so I'm not wasting alot of time looking around.

THX.
Go to top click on "Settings", then on "Training Blog Customization" then on "Dashboard".

Thanks, much appreciated  for providing the directions.  I'll give it a go.

2010-02-01 6:03 PM
in reply to: #2647662

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sstucker - 2010-02-01 1:08 PM I missed my 8 mile long run yesterday, well I went out did about 1.5 miles before calling it quits. The cold wind was given me an earache and had to stop. Now, I’m trying to figure out how to add the mileage into my recovery week. Was going to perform tonight but have to get my swim in. I think I’m just going to skip it and continue with the plan. The bad part is I was enjoying the run until my ear started screaming at me. Where is spring???

Skipping the odd workout here and there is no big deal.  Especially this early in the season. I wouldn't fret about it.

And no, I can't imagine running in the conditions you run in.  A HIGH of -3????  As far as I'm concerned, you get kudos for just walking out the door.  (I grew up in Northern Wisconsin, among other places, so there was a time when I understood cold.  Not any more.)
2010-02-01 7:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
I had a slow recovery run tonight because of the race yesterday. Six miles (104 laps on indoor track : 0 ) and I really tried to keep HR in the 75% range. It was a challenge keeping the pace that slow, but my legs really appreciated it.

Phil
2010-02-01 10:17 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Greetings Everyone,

Day off today; will be in a recovery week.  Back at it early tomorrow morning with a Indoor Cycling Class for an hour. 

I think I am going to do a test 5K this weekend; maybe Friday evening if it is not raining and if not Friday maybe Sunday afternoon.  I want to see where I am at.  I realize it won't totally compare to a 5K during a Sprint Tri, but it will be close enough for me.  I'd like to think I can do a 24 min. but would be ok with anything between 24 and 25 min.  A 24 min. 5k would be a 7:43/mile pace.

Anyone of you every do this?
2010-02-01 11:39 PM
in reply to: #2649027

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
TriGuyBri - 2010-02-01 11:17 PM Greetings Everyone,

Day off today; will be in a recovery week.  Back at it early tomorrow morning with a Indoor Cycling Class for an hour. 

I think I am going to do a test 5K this weekend; maybe Friday evening if it is not raining and if not Friday maybe Sunday afternoon.  I want to see where I am at.  I realize it won't totally compare to a 5K during a Sprint Tri, but it will be close enough for me.  I'd like to think I can do a 24 min. but would be ok with anything between 24 and 25 min.  A 24 min. 5k would be a 7:43/mile pace.

Anyone of you every do this?

Yep, in fact I did it just recently.  I think it's a good thing to do from time to time.  It's long enough to get a good read on your fitness, but not so long that you need days and days of recovery.

Lots of people say that your self-imposed TT speed is not too far off from your sprint tri speed (because they say you can't push yourself as hard in a TT as in a race).  I think this depends a lot on just how hard you can push yourself, as opposed to just how hard you can be pushed in a race.  I don' think there's much difference for me, so I think that my 5k TT is a bit faster than my sprint tri 5K speed, and more or less equal to my standalone 5K pace.  (In my TT, I puked at the end, so I think I was going pretty hard!  But yeah, it's already been pointed out that I might just be a little hardcore.  Laughing )

Be sure to warm up quite a bit before you do it, and also leave some time (running or easy jogging or walking) for cool-down.  It's also a good idea to do it on a course that you can repeat in the future, so that you can make meaningful comparisons.

Edited by Experior 2010-02-01 11:56 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46