BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-01-07 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2599731

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

ANNE -

Quickly, as I'm about to had out...

K-Town is a great race! It is a hybrid like Muskoka, with the only difference being that K-Town's bike is about 2km longer (or maybe it is Muskoka's that is the longer of the two).

I swim near Hog's Back, across from Mooney's Bay, and the water is pretty decent. (Then again, I'm the guy who doesn't really think twice about swimming in the Hudson for the NYC Triathlon! )

More on Ontario races later!

2010-01-07 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2599630

User image

Champion
Calgary
thall0672 - 2010-01-07 5:21 AM

EVERYONE:

Hi all. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on a tri bike. I don't have a racing bike currently (just a mountain bike), and my training is done on a life cycle at the gym. When the weather starts getting better I want to get outside (yes, it's only January but I'm already thinking Spring!)

I know close to nothing about tri bikes. I would like something that's not too terribly expensive, but also something that I'll want to keep as I progress on to more/longer races. Am I asking too much if I want to spend less than $1000?

Thanks all!

Tracey

4 weeks before my first sprint in 2007 I bought a beat up 18 speed touring bike, an Appolo, for 100 bucks. Loved that bike. in 2008 5 months later (but with little riding experience) I decided I wanted to do an IM and I got a Cervello P2SL in 2008, good starter tri bike, cost me $2,200. I got it because I was planning to do an IM so I figured I better get a real tri bike. Lots of people I asked about this said, "take your time, do some shorter races, see what is out there, figure what you like." Now I wasn't taking my time and figure I made the right decision. However, if I would have spent 2008 doing sprints and olys I would have been plenty comfy on my $100 bike and, I think, better able to make a decision on a major purchase.

I suppose I am saying you don't need to rush it. Not sure of bikes in $1000 price range, although I imagine there are a lot of second hand tri bikes on the market right now, which might be an option.
2010-01-07 7:58 AM
in reply to: #2599745

User image

Champion

DIANE!

A Trek road bike? It kind of fell into your lap?? Manna from heaven!!!

Do it! Take it! Pay for all the shipping! If it's a true road bike, you've likely got a great machine to work with. Just make sure from your friend that it's got skinny wheels....and while you're at it, ask her how many gears it has in the back. Does she know what model it is?

See? Every cloud has a silver lining!

2010-01-07 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2599756

User image

Champion

ANNE again -

K-Town this year is Aug. 1, a week after Muskoka. The only downside is that they too onl;y do three splits.

Cornwall is a cool little race.....but also a 3-splitter. I can tell you more about both if you want.

Gotta run!

2010-01-07 8:04 AM
in reply to: #2599765

User image

Champion

MARK -

I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN PERIODIZATION!!!!!!!

(i hope you're still with us.....!)

2010-01-07 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2599745

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-01-07 8:55 AM ANNE - Quickly, as I'm about to had out... K-Town is a great race! It is a hybrid like Muskoka, with the only difference being that K-Town's bike is about 2km longer (or maybe it is Muskoka's that is the longer of the two). I swim near Hog's Back, across from Mooney's Bay, and the water is pretty decent. (Then again, I'm the guy who doesn't really think twice about swimming in the Hudson for the NYC Triathlon! ) More on Ontario races later!

Actually, the race we did was run by the Royal Military College in May (Limestone Charity?);  not nearly as tough as K-Town which I WANT to do one day.  

Talk later,

2010-01-07 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2559115

New user
So before I get in trouble with Steve (may already be there as I am still back on page 16 of this thread...), I figure I'll post what I am thinking for training and events this year.

Training wise, knowing running is not something I enjoy and its what I need to work on most, I was leaning towards using the Olympic run focused - 20 week(http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=43) as this is my goal distance. Goal is to compete in one if I can find the 'right' one in September timeframe. However, since my running is starting from basically I can walk at a fast pace indefinetly, I was going to use the run workouts from this Couch to 10K I found on a local highly respected running shop (http://www.hansons-running.com/images/trainingplans/couchpatato.pdf). However, I was going to start on week 3. I have also started using the BT logs.

As for events, I've found two beginner friendly events a few weeks apart. 1st one is Hawk Island Tri in Lansing, MI  on 6/6 (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/link-detail.asp?linkid=12362) and the Welland Triathlon on 6/26(http://www.msctriathlon.com/ms/events/showevent.cfm?showEventID=89). Both being sprint distances. Hawk is beginner friendly (they say) and Welland is a flat course.

Now...I don't own a wetsuit and was looking at renting one from www.wetsuitrental.com figuring that a) I can rent one to cover both races and if I decide to not continue tri'ing this is one less item I've purchased; b) I will be losing weight between now and June, so getting a suit now is a little premature and; c) what will be an ongoing race weight for me???

What do you folks think? I'm also tossing around the idea of trying out some 5k events for fun or trying my hand at some mountain bike races for something different and to make use of my bikes 'mountain' ability and not just ride it with skinny tires.Wink

Edited by smarx 2010-01-07 9:53 AM
2010-01-07 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2599711

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
STEVE:

Question in response to your helpful post about cadence from the Triathlete's Training Bible:

So if one's cadence is already close to 90 or at 90, would the only way to quicken your pace be to increase cadence to >90?

Thanks!

2010-01-07 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2599135

User image

stevebradley - 2010-01-06 5:48 PM STEVE - Quickly again! Mine was lactate - blood samples in the fingertip. I'm not sure I was given an option. They (Peak Perfomance Centre, Ottawa) knew what I wanted, which were accurate heart rate zones, and gave me the lactate test. My zones were established after the run test , the first one, and they were what I used fairly religiously for a few years. Looking at my log.........for some reason I only wrote down "Bike zones" on the day I did the bike test; nothing more than that. Hmmm. I'll have to figure out what those were! The run test yielded the following: Max H.R. - 180 VO2max - 58.3 Z1: 127-143 Z2: 144-160 Z3: 161-165 Z4: 166-175 Z5: 176+ Those results are kind of ancient history, maybe? Like, 8-plus years? Yikes! I was that much younger then, but I'm much better trained now. Maybe I'll get tested for my birthday!

Thanks Steve, Lactate test it is. 

Thanks for posting your results.  I'd bet you're at least the same if not better than 8 years ago! 

I have to say, your ranges are inspiring, depressing and reassuring all at once. 

Reassuring because I'm pretty confident now I've not been wasting any time on Z3, unless passing through to Z4. 

Inspiring because you show that if at 52/53 you can have those zones, there is no reason I can't continue to do this at this level or better for years to come.

Depressing because I've seen myself max out in the 180-185 range during particularly brutal spin/run sessions in the past year which means I still have a few beats per minute that I can be using in Z2, which means things are going to get tougher in the coming weeks. 

:-)

2010-01-07 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2598119

User image

Have fun this weekend Lisa! 
2010-01-07 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2598143

User image

FoxfireTX - 2010-01-06 11:03 AM

Met with my trainer this morning for the first time in 2010.  The news is not good.  After two days of swimming just a few laps freestyle my shoulders are sore, irritated and less strength than in mid December.  She is concerned that if I do not get this rehabbed now not only will I have a problem with the swimming but also with the biking.  So I have new exercises for two weeks and strict instructions to stay away from the pool.  IF I show enough improvement in the next two weeks, she will cut my rehab days down to two with one day in the pool but backstroke only with a pull buoy, no freestyle in the near future.  She also does not want me progressing to lesson 2 in TI because the drills involve leading with your hand and one arm out front.  Guess I'll be working on my flutter kick and balance with arms at my side.  Very frustrating but I trust her judgment and think she knows what she is talking about as well as what she is seeing in my shoulders.  They are so bad that you can literally see when they catch.  Guess I will be amending my training schedule to primarily focus on running and leg strength for biking for now.  On the upside, she is confident with patience on my part that this is correctable, it's just going to take time and going about it very slowly. 

That's tough news Diane, but you are right about the run and bike - great opportunity to focus on them.  Plus, the swim is all about technique - TI will get you  that, and with all the bike/run fitness, you'll be just fine! 

2010-01-07 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2599741

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-01-07 8:50 AM

TRACEY again -

Several years ago you could get a Quintana Roo tri bike (I think the model was Kilo) for about $1000, and that was a good entry-level tri bike. Now, on the one hand prices have likely gone up, but on the other hand there are many more tri bikes being made noadays, and with more people entering triathlon and duathlon, companies are probably making more entry-level bikes.

Let me know if you find anything, and from this end I will do some searching later today.

Okay clearly I had no idea how much tri bikes cost. I just googled around and it doesn't look like you can get anything entry level for less than around $1500. So I've re-set my budget.

STEVE: Could you comment on any of these:

http://www.all3sports.com/product_info.php?pName=quintana-roo-seduz...

http://www.all3sports.com/product_info.php?pName=cervelo-p1-ultegra...

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI279M06-Guru+Ventus+Ultegra...

Thank you!

2010-01-07 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2599741

User image

Tracey,

Having just purchased a new bike, I fear that the $1,000 cap might limit choices unless you are interested in a pre-owned bike (hey, Lexus can call them pre-owned cars....)

The best prices I've seen on a new P1 was about $1,600 or so. 
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm has some under $1,000 (Motobecene), but I don't know anything about that brand.  They also have some Kestral Talons under $1,400 most days.  Their inventory shifts around a lot, so it's a good idea to keep checking the site.

2010-01-07 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2599984

User image

smarx - 2010-01-07 7:14 AM So before I get in trouble with Steve (may already be there as I am still back on page 16 of this thread...), I figure I'll post what I am thinking for training and events this year.

Training wise, knowing running is not something I enjoy and its what I need to work on most, I was leaning towards using the Olympic run focused - 20 week(http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=43) as this is my goal distance. Goal is to compete in one if I can find the 'right' one in September timeframe. However, since my running is starting from basically I can walk at a fast pace indefinetly, I was going to use the run workouts from this Couch to 10K I found on a local highly respected running shop (http://www.hansons-running.com/images/trainingplans/couchpatato.pdf). However, I was going to start on week 3. I have also started using the BT logs.

As for events, I've found two beginner friendly events a few weeks apart. 1st one is Hawk Island Tri in Lansing, MI  on 6/6 (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/link-detail.asp?linkid=12362) and the Welland Triathlon on 6/26(http://www.msctriathlon.com/ms/events/showevent.cfm?showEventID=89). Both being sprint distances. Hawk is beginner friendly (they say) and Welland is a flat course.

Now...I don't own a wetsuit and was looking at renting one from www.wetsuitrental.com figuring that a) I can rent one to cover both races and if I decide to not continue tri'ing this is one less item I've purchased; b) I will be losing weight between now and June, so getting a suit now is a little premature and; c) what will be an ongoing race weight for me???

What do you folks think? I'm also tossing around the idea of trying out some 5k events for fun or trying my hand at some mountain bike races for something different and to make use of my bikes 'mountain' ability and not just ride it with skinny tires.Wink

Hey!  I LOVE wetsuitrental.com.  I rented from them for 3 years, and on the fourth, just kept the suit (got a discount on it).  Definitely rent first.  You also might want to see if they are willing to send you  the suit in advance.  They were kind enough to send me suits about a month in advance of the race so I could get used to them.  I'd definitely try to arrange that if you get a suit with sleeves, as many people find them very constricting at first - I can't race with them at all.  I feel like the shoulders are getting squeezed to death.  Either way, you definitely want to get used to the feel of swimming in one, because it is a much different experience.  It can be claustrophobic at first, but once you get used to it, they are WONDERFUL equipment which will make you feel much more comfortable and confident in the water.
2010-01-07 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2599756

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

stevebradley - 2010-01-07 7:58 AM DIANE! A Trek road bike? It kind of fell into your lap?? Manna from heaven!!! Do it! Take it! Pay for all the shipping! If it's a true road bike, you've likely got a great machine to work with. Just make sure from your friend that it's got skinny wheels....and while you're at it, ask her how many gears it has in the back. Does she know what model it is? See? Every cloud has a silver lining!

Steve, I did ask about the model but haven't heard back from her.  She currently is laid up with bronchitis and walking pneumonia so it may be a few days.  But she is going to send photos as well so of course I will get those to you. And yes, it feels like manna from heaven!  Her ex was a big bike fiend so I suspect it is decent model.  She just never got into it and rode it very little.  She is thanking me for taking it out of her cramped garage.  What a gem!  I am saving your post a few up on modifying a rode bike so can always do that.  Who knows, given that I doubt I will ever go beyond sprint distance tris this may work for me for quite some time with the modifications.

2010-01-07 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2599773

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
stevebradley - 2010-01-07 8:04 AM
MARK -
I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN PERIODIZATION!!!!!!!
(i hope you're still with us.....!)

Still here and in no hurry Steve. I do have another question for everyone; has anyone found swim goggles that really are 'anti-fog' or something to use to prevent (or at least delay) fogging. One of the most difficult parts of my races last year was trying to sight on the swim because I could barely see 20 feet the last half of the swim leg.
Thanks, Mark

2010-01-07 1:33 PM

Mark!

As far as I know, most antifog treatment tends to wear off with use. But you can buy a spray to restore the treatment (especially usefulk just before a race)
Here's one example:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/swim/9/Aqua_Sphere_Antifog_Solution_30cc/5360017434/ 
2010-01-07 2:07 PM

Master
Kitchener
TRACEY,

You had a question for Steve on cadence which I know he will answer more 'scientifically' than me, but the way I get more speed is with more lean and the stride tends to get just a tiny bit longer.    I found it weird when I first was told to increase my cadence while running slowly.   It didn't make sense, but it works.   I can now go out and run a 7min km and a 5'45" km, both with a cadence of 90.  

Anne
2010-01-07 4:18 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
had the best run today, felt really good. Hope everyone else had a great day!
2010-01-07 5:24 PM
in reply to: #2600275

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Killing two birds with one stone, quickly, for now:
(1) I have printed the spec sheets for ach of the three bikes, and I will study them this evening. And I'm sorry I might've gotten your hopes up about ~$1000; I guess I was living in the past, yet again. I found the same general range at Nytro, and had trouble getting into Inside-Out. Another place to try, just thinking about it now, is R&A Cycles, in Brooklyn, I think. Their prices used to be very competitive, but I think they got ripped for just selling bikes without any kind of serious fitting attempts.
(2) For the cadence, I think the best goal upon hitting 90 is to work to sustain it - maybe a mile at a time; no, a hal-mike at a time. I guess some people can almost immediately click out a fast cadence indefinitely, but it didn't happen that way for me. I can do it now, but it took me a lot of work to get to that point.

2010-01-07 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2599630

User image

thall0672 - 2010-01-07 4:21 AM EVERYONE: Hi all. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on a tri bike. I don't have a racing bike currently (just a mountain bike), and my training is done on a life cycle at the gym. When the weather starts getting better I want to get outside (yes, it's only January but I'm already thinking Spring!) I know close to nothing about tri bikes. I would like something that's not too terribly expensive, but also something that I'll want to keep as I progress on to more/longer races. Am I asking too much if I want to spend less than $1000? Thanks all! Tracey

Tracey,

One other piece of advice from experience - ask yourself how serious/committed you are to Tri racing.  If you are sure the bug has bitten, and especially if you know you want it for longer distances, then I'd seriously consider biting the bullet and getting the most bike you can manage.  If that means putting off the purchase for a while to save up for it, the you might consider that - I think it would be worthwhile. 

I ended up paying an extra $600 when I got my new bike because I was trying to save money.  I took my old road bike and got it fitted for aero, new stem, new pedals, yadda, yadda, yadda, because I felt bad about spending money on a new shiny bike.  6 months later, I got the new shiny bike because it was what I really wanted. 

2010-01-07 6:46 PM
in reply to: #2599984

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

Naw, you'll never get in trouble with me. First, I'm just a big, easy-going slob -- mellow as a cello, sweet as a summer's breeze. And second, we just do what we can here, whatever works, whenever. We ebbs and we flows, we comes and we goes. Of course, I love it when we are a seething mass of support and inquisitiveness, all hands on deck!! But realisticall, that just won't happen. So, take your time moving from page 16 to wherever we are when we finish, and I PROMISE there won't be a test. (Maybe a pop quiz, however? )

And as for your bundle of thoughts and ideas, I'll be back to you about them very soon. And as for a September oly, go to www.hsbctriathlon.com (same people as Welland) and have a look at Wasaga Beach, Sept. 12, and see what you think. Another option, heading into central N.Y., is Finger Lakes in Canadaigua, Sept. 19, I think. Both races have good reps, and I've done W.B. and can vouch for it.

2010-01-07 6:56 PM
in reply to: #2600649

User image

Champion

MARK -

Three things work pretty well:
(1) Tyr Anti-Fog Lens Cleaner - a small "spritzer" spray container, ~$5
(2) Aqua Sphere makes something identical, except a dollar or two more
(3) Spit, which is my go-to method. A bit on both inner lenses, less on the outer lenses, swirl around with your finger, and rinse off well. (Spit has loads of germies, which supposedly can infect the eyes.)

As for the first two, definitely rinse out well as the chemical(s) can cause some stinging. For rinsing, I use what I'm about to plop into -- pool, lake, even ocean if it comes to it. And when I've done the NYC Triathlon......as god is my witness, I have used the Hudson. (Having done that, I wonder why I bother worrying about the germs in my spit or the chemicals in the anti-fog lens cleaners! )

2010-01-07 6:59 PM
in reply to: #2601579

User image

Champion

MARK again -

Oops! I just saw Arthur's post to you, and he includes the full name of the Aqua Sphere product. I guess I should've gone through all the backlog of posts first, huh?

2010-01-07 10:42 PM
in reply to: #2600325

User image

Champion

STEVE -

Now I'm REAL curious as to how those zones have changed! You've certainly piqued my interest in this....now I just need to summon the funds! (My 61st is coming up very soon, so maybe I'll give myself a little gift!)

And the other thing I need to summon is the courage to undertake that ordeal again. It's all in the name of sound science, right?

I need to think some about your comments under "depressing". I'm not sure why you are depressed by maxing out at 180-185, and if there is any real reason to worry that things are going to get tougher in the coming weeks. Let's keep talking about this, okay?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276