BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's 2010 Manatees--Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2010-03-21 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2738079

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's 2010 Manatees--Closed
Nice, Lyn!  51 miles is awesome!

So, I have to admit something.  Bike scares me.  Spin classes are a total crutch.  When I started taking them back in November, I didn't own a bike yet and was also just trying to build some bike endurance.  And, I like taking them, even if it's only once a week.  But despite yesterday, Bike is my weakest discipline -- I generally only bike once a week, at the spin class, and that's it.  My actual bike only has about 60 miles total on it (with my longest IRL ride being 7 miles).  How do I get past this and start putting more road time into my schedule? 

I am afraid to ride with others, and I think that's where the problem lies -- I like spin because I can ride "with" people and not worry about keeping up with them, but just ride my ride.  But for longer bike rides, is it really safe to go out by yourself?  And if not, how do I find people who will tolerate my slowness? I think I proved to myself yesterday that I will be able to handle the 12 mile bike leg, but I do need to just get on my bike more.  I can ride a decent 7 mile route in my neighborhood, but it is way too dangerous to leave my neighborhood by bike -- areas where there are long routes for riding must be accessed by car, and I don't have a decent car carrier for my bike yet.  I guess that's the next purchase.

Sorry to ramble -- I am just still so nervous about making a fool of myself in this race.  I've put in so much work, for sure, but I am still so slow at everything that it is hard not to get discouraged.  That, and I seem to have gained back 5 pounds since the day I gleefully announced that I finally hit the -20 mark. Yes, AFTER riding for 4 hours yesterday.  Ugh.

2010-03-21 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2559122

User image

New user
Hendersonville, NC
Dineen, Wow great job! 4 h is a long time. I could not do it.

Lynne, cool, 51 miles!

I don't think my little 5K stands up to any of your accomplishments. Today my back hurts like hell. I've never had that happen before. Can it be from the race?
2010-03-21 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2738220

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
dinabean - 2010-03-21 9:20 AM Nice, Lyn!  51 miles is awesome!

So, I have to admit something.  Bike scares me.  Spin classes are a total crutch.  When I started taking them back in November, I didn't own a bike yet and was also just trying to build some bike endurance.  And, I like taking them, even if it's only once a week.  But despite yesterday, Bike is my weakest discipline -- I generally only bike once a week, at the spin class, and that's it.  My actual bike only has about 60 miles total on it (with my longest IRL ride being 7 miles).  How do I get past this and start putting more road time into my schedule? 

I am afraid to ride with others, and I think that's where the problem lies -- I like spin because I can ride "with" people and not worry about keeping up with them, but just ride my ride.  But for longer bike rides, is it really safe to go out by yourself?  And if not, how do I find people who will tolerate my slowness? I think I proved to myself yesterday that I will be able to handle the 12 mile bike leg, but I do need to just get on my bike more.  I can ride a decent 7 mile route in my neighborhood, but it is way too dangerous to leave my neighborhood by bike -- areas where there are long routes for riding must be accessed by car, and I don't have a decent car carrier for my bike yet.  I guess that's the next purchase.

Sorry to ramble -- I am just still so nervous about making a fool of myself in this race.  I've put in so much work, for sure, but I am still so slow at everything that it is hard not to get discouraged.  That, and I seem to have gained back 5 pounds since the day I gleefully announced that I finally hit the -20 mark. Yes, AFTER riding for 4 hours yesterday.  Ugh.

Dineen - i can tell you that you are not alone in your fears and uncertainties, many many of us have experienced similar feelings - it's great that you've been able to put your finger on what's bothering you  - that's the first step to conquering it

a couple of thoughts -

as far as whether or not it's safe to go for a long ride on your own - to me, it depends on where you are riding - if there's a safe trail that has lots of activity - walkers, runners, and other cyclists - i think it's safe to ride on your own - just make sure you have your id and a cell phone tucked away in your bike bag.  if you're riding on the open roads, it's better to be riding with someone

is there a local tri or cycling group you could look into?  i belonged to one in omaha that had weekly rides and the ride was split up into groups based on pace, that seemed to work fairly well

is there a chance that there might be some folks in your spin club that would be your pace?

also, it's not absolutely necessary that you are at the same speed to ride with someone - i was lucky enough to find a couple of folks to ride with who were definitely faster than me - we just agreed up front that we would start out together and end together, after the first few miles of chatting and going at my pace - they would take off at their pace, they really didn't seem to mind and enjoyed having some company for the first section of the ride and their cool down - if you can find someone like that it's great because it can also help improve your speed - i know i pushed myself a little harder whenever i road with them

as far as making a fool of yourself at the race, we have all experienced that - my fear was the run, what i found was that the community was extremely supportive and encouraging - there isn't a focus on what people might be doing wrong or could do better, but a focus on - the positive - you are doing it!

it's natural to be nervous, but try and focus on just having fun with it

just my 2 cents fwiw

2010-03-21 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Mia- Nice job on the 5k!  Sorry to hear you back is sore but my guess is it is because you pushed it a little hard.  If you have a chance to get a swim in today or tomorrow it will problably help a lot.  My back is a lot less sore since I've been swimming more.

Dineen - 4 hours is a LONG time.  Thinking about being in one room on a spin bike for that long makes my head hurt!  It's great that you were able to raise so much money for the Y.

Lynne -
Glad to hear you got to 51 miles, sounds like you had a good ride.  No mention of puking, so I guess it didn't happen?
2010-03-21 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2738634

User image

New user
Hendersonville, NC
I went for a long walk in the rain and then after that I walked to the gym and biked for 45 min. My back feel fine now. Did some streching after I got home and now I'll take a long hot shower.

Edited by ladylucky 2010-03-21 3:00 PM
2010-03-21 8:03 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
Wow, you guys have got a lot done this weekend! Lynne biked 51 miles and made me aware of a sexed-up watch that I seem to need, Art freed his bike from its winter prison, Dineen spun (spinned? span?) 4 hours for charity, Mia ran a great 5k, Lynn started tapering for a HIM (hey, from what I read on the forums, it's as hard as any other part of the plan), and Beth swam for a freaking hour and 40 minutes! 

My lazy asss skived again this weekend -- sort of. Went to New York City to visit friends. I did not swim, bike, or run, but I walked... a lot... enough that my lower body is TIRED today. To be fair, that is probably just a function of pavement + poor sleep (+ rationalizing). 

Tomorrow, bike. With my new cycling shorts that I bought here in the city! I am looking forward to it. Extra bonus: the ones that fit best were the cheapest ones in the store ^_^

Hope y'all had a lovely Sunday night!

2010-03-22 6:21 PM
in reply to: #2737686

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
tinkerbeth - 2010-03-20 6:05 PM Art - great job on getting the bike outside!  it was a beautiful day for it!  how did it feel, i imagine you were a bit nervous to start.

The last couple of days have been perfect for rides outside!  Yes, the traffic and speed on the downhills made me a little nervous but I'll take it over being in the basement anytime!  Now I have to come up with a few different routes (with limited traffic) so I don't have to worry about getting lost.

Art
2010-03-23 8:56 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Mia - glad the stretching and so forth helped the back feel good - i'm sure you are still feeling awesome about your race!

Rebecca - how'd the ride with the new shorts go? 

Art - being on the roads is definitely preferable to being in the basement - it's great to see you out there

i had a pretty big workout weekend myself - it felt good to be back at it

2010-03-23 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Congrats on getting back to it, Beth!

So Lynne, your big race is this weekend, right?  Wishing you all the best!  I am sure you will kick 70.3 A**.  So amazing!

Art, so glad you got outside.  Spring is a wonderful thing!

Ended up taking a rest day today, and I think it is a good thing.  I am starting to get a little concerned about getting enough runs in, but worst case?  That 15K is not an A race, it was a means to an end to work up the distance to increase my endurance.  I've proven to myself that I have the endurance to get through 4 hours of spinning, 2 hours of running, I can handle however long it is going to take to get through my tri.  So I am happy.    And I am glad I slept in a little today.  I needed it.

Yanti, I just wanted to say again what an inspiration you are to me -- I've never seen a before picture, is that something you would be willing to share?  I look at your current picture and think I can NEVER be as skinny as you are, but I know it must be obtainable, because you did it, and you had a lot more to lose than I do/did.  Just keep doing good things for yourself and taking care of yourself and you will, eventually, come to accept that yes, that is really you rocking that bikini top!
2010-03-23 5:42 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
If any ladies are looking for a dirt cheap tri top, I just bought the L but the XL is still available:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=200579&posts=4&start=1

2010-03-23 8:04 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Hey, hey, Tinky, Yanti, and Rebecca!

2010-03-23 8:15 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
Well hello thar Donkai!
2010-03-23 11:30 PM
in reply to: #2738341

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
tinkerbeth - 2010-03-21 11:33 AM
dinabean - 2010-03-21 9:20 AM Nice, Lyn!  51 miles is awesome!

Dineen - i can tell you that you are not alone in your fears and uncertainties, many many of us have experienced similar feelings - it's great that you've been able to put your finger on what's bothering you  - that's the first step to conquering it

a couple of thoughts -

as far as whether or not it's safe to go for a long ride on your own - to me, it depends on where you are riding - if there's a safe trail that has lots of activity - walkers, runners, and other cyclists - i think it's safe to ride on your own - just make sure you have your id and a cell phone tucked away in your bike bag.  if you're riding on the open roads, it's better to be riding with someone

is there a local tri or cycling group you could look into?  i belonged to one in omaha that had weekly rides and the ride was split up into groups based on pace, that seemed to work fairly well

is there a chance that there might be some folks in your spin club that would be your pace?

also, it's not absolutely necessary that you are at the same speed to ride with someone - i was lucky enough to find a couple of folks to ride with who were definitely faster than me - we just agreed up front that we would start out together and end together, after the first few miles of chatting and going at my pace - they would take off at their pace, they really didn't seem to mind and enjoyed having some company for the first section of the ride and their cool down - if you can find someone like that it's great because it can also help improve your speed - i know i pushed myself a little harder whenever i road with them

as far as making a fool of yourself at the race, we have all experienced that - my fear was the run, what i found was that the community was extremely supportive and encouraging - there isn't a focus on what people might be doing wrong or could do better, but a focus on - the positive - you are doing it!

it's natural to be nervous, but try and focus on just having fun with it

just my 2 cents fwiw

Thanks for this.  I have been invited to do an organized group ride on Sunday in conjunction with the Florida Strawberry Festival.  There are several distances, and the folks who asked me to join them want to do the 38 mile one.  I am really nervous about it, but I think I am going to do it -- that would certainly be a way to get over my fear of long rides, I suppose!  The gal I met here with whom I swim (and how, coincidentally, was assigned to be my triathlon "mentor" through the YMCA Tri Club well after we started swimming together; too funny!) told me that it's a very flat course and a good one to start out with.  I figure I had better get a flat kit for my bike -- anything else I need to know for a 38 mile (supported course) ride?
2010-03-24 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Oh, oh, oh!  I forgot to tell you guys!  The other day I was looking out my window at work, and low and behold, guess what I spotted??  MANATEES!  A pair of really cute manatees swimming Tampa Bay, about 30 feet from my building.  They were adorable.  Made me think of you all!
2010-03-25 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2744943

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

dinabean - 2010-03-24 7:24 AM Oh, oh, oh!  I forgot to tell you guys!  The other day I was looking out my window at work, and low and behold, guess what I spotted??  MANATEES!  A pair of really cute manatees swimming Tampa Bay, about 30 feet from my building.  They were adorable.  Made me think of you all!

Wow! I'm jealous! Must have been incredible to see them.  Aren't they endangered?

2010-03-25 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2744037

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
1stTimeTri - 2010-03-23 9:04 PM Hey, hey, Tinky, Yanti, and Rebecca!

hey ,hey, hey Philthy!  nice to *see* you!

2010-03-25 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2744943

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
dinabean - 2010-03-24 10:24 AM Oh, oh, oh!  I forgot to tell you guys!  The other day I was looking out my window at work, and low and behold, guess what I spotted??  MANATEES!  A pair of really cute manatees swimming Tampa Bay, about 30 feet from my building.  They were adorable.  Made me think of you all!

that is very cool!!    when i look out my window at work i see the delaware river - highly unlikely i'll ever see any manatees swimming there

the group ride sounds great Dineen and it's wonderful that there will be someone there that you know - it's natural to be nervous, but once you get going you'll relax and have a great time

be sure to tell us how it goes!

2010-03-25 8:32 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
It is CLEARLY a sign. 
2010-03-25 10:36 PM
in reply to: #2749542

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Silver Bullet - 2010-03-25 6:32 PM It is CLEARLY a sign. 

Manatees are sending their manatee love to you!

I only started riding about 2 years ago when I started this whole crazy tri thing. I was able to get out on the roads, mostly by myself at first and sometimes I'll ride in a group. It can be tricky in a group. I'd suggest to stay back and not get caught up in a peleton or anything. Sounds like you'll have a friend to help you out. Remember to hydrate well and get some electrolytes into you, too, especially in that Florida sun. Enjoy. I remember the strawberry festival from when I used to live back there. I thought the freeze ruined some though. HOpefully not too many.

I'm in taper mode for the 70.3 on Saturday. It's the Ironman Oceanside 70.3 and there are so many people in this race. It's a little weird not doing so much this last week and recovering for the race.It's my second HIM so I at least know somewhat to expect. Sweet dreams manatees.

2010-03-26 2:07 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
I gotta run.

No really, I've basically been training for an aquabike. I gotta get some run time in.

Other than that, stuff's pretty good. I'm back on the training wagon. Hope all is well with you guys!

MANATEE LUV
MANATEE LUV
2010-03-26 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2751218

User image

Melon Presser
Silver Bullet - 2010-03-27 4:07 AM I gotta run.

No really, I've basically been training for an aquabike. I gotta get some run time in.

Other than that, stuff's pretty good. I'm back on the training wagon. Hope all is well with you guys!

MANATEE LUV
MANATEE LUV

I think that is the cutest thing I have seen since Beth and I met in New York in September. Well, that was basically the same thing

The thing about whatever discipline you're trying to get more of in ... do whatever you can, when you can. Bag a 30-minute run for a 10-minute run in a heartbeat, because it all really does add up. If you can't get into running shoes but you can take a brisk walk for 10-15 minutes, do it.

I've done a 30-minute run in Birkenstocks, jeans, and no sports bra. I can't remember why, but there must have been a good reason.

2010-03-26 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2749758

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
lmscozz - 2010-03-25 11:36 PM

Silver Bullet - 2010-03-25 6:32 PM It is CLEARLY a sign. 

Manatees are sending their manatee love to you!

I only started riding about 2 years ago when I started this whole crazy tri thing. I was able to get out on the roads, mostly by myself at first and sometimes I'll ride in a group. It can be tricky in a group. I'd suggest to stay back and not get caught up in a peleton or anything. Sounds like you'll have a friend to help you out. Remember to hydrate well and get some electrolytes into you, too, especially in that Florida sun. Enjoy. I remember the strawberry festival from when I used to live back there. I thought the freeze ruined some though. HOpefully not too many.

I'm in taper mode for the 70.3 on Saturday. It's the Ironman Oceanside 70.3 and there are so many people in this race. It's a little weird not doing so much this last week and recovering for the race.It's my second HIM so I at least know somewhat to expect. Sweet dreams manatees.

you are so ready Lynn!

the Manatees will be cheering you on!!

2010-03-26 7:48 PM
in reply to: #2751404

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
TriAya - 2010-03-26 4:19 PM
Silver Bullet - 2010-03-27 4:07 AM I gotta run.

MANATEE LUV
MANATEE LUV

I think that is the cutest thing I have seen since Beth and I met in New York in September. Well, that was basically the same thing

The thing about whatever discipline you're trying to get more of in ... do whatever you can, when you can. Bag a 30-minute run for a 10-minute run in a heartbeat, because it all really does add up. If you can't get into running shoes but you can take a brisk walk for 10-15 minutes, do it.

I've done a 30-minute run in Birkenstocks, jeans, and no sports bra. I can't remember why, but there must have been a good reason.

that picture of us is pretty darn cute isn't it Yanti?  a little manatee love

waidaminute - i thought you said i looked like a pixie, not a manatee - LOL! 

2010-03-27 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2751746

User image

New user
Hendersonville, NC

you are so ready Lynn!

I'm thinking of you too today Lynn. The best of luck from me too.
2010-03-27 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2752201

User image

Melon Presser
ladylucky - 2010-03-28 12:00 AM

you are so ready Lynn!

I'm thinking of you too today Lynn. The best of luck from me too.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY LYNN!!!!!!!!!!

You've already started by now and I am thinking of you out there on that wonderful course!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's 2010 Manatees--Closed Rss Feed  

of 31