BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-04-21 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!

Nope.  I still have it.  I put it on Craigslist, today.  THought I had it sold in the 1st hour....but the guy was wanting it for his kid in college.  He said (after seeing photos of it) that he thought it was screaming "steal me"!

I don't blame him.  I've got it priced to sell, though.  It'll sell, soon enough.

Now....back to that swim mojo...........................waitin'!

2010-04-21 9:32 PM
in reply to: #2807628

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
robingray_260 - 2010-04-21 2:35 PM Question on swimming technology.
When a set says build - does that mean start the entire set of slow and then the last one be all out or is it for each one inside a set. For example with 4x100s, do you start off slow for each 100 and then hammer it for the last 25yd or so or do you do the first entire 100 slow and the last 100 fast? And what is the difference between build an "ascend"

Swim Workout for the day - 2000 yd
WU: 200s, 200k, 200 drill
MS: 6x100's build (build on each 100) - couldn't get splits - watch was on wrong setting (I think around 140s)
200 kick
4x50 fast (39/41/41/40) w/ 10-15sec rest
300 pull
100 CD

"build up" means to go progressively faster during each individual repeat in a set. For example, 4 x 50 Build Up means to begin each 50 at a relatively easy pace, and gradually increase the effort such that you are going fairly hard (if not all out) by the end of each 50.  Not sure what "ascend means, but to "descend" the set means to get progressively faster with each repeat until you are going as fast as you can (or as fast as is required) on the final repeat of the set. It is best to try to shave off the same amount of time from one repeat to the next, so that your progression throughout the set is both gradual and consistent.

2010-04-22 1:00 AM

User image

Chicago
I just wanted to apologize in advance for me breaking my training plan (if you can call it that) so I can go to Hawaii for two weeks in June. I just bought the tickets and there is nobody around to tell. So I thought I might tell the only people who may care... cause the rest of BT will probably try to crucify me due to the way they have been acting lately

Edited by Thomasski 2010-04-22 1:01 AM
2010-04-22 1:13 AM
in reply to: #2808898

User image

nc452010 - 2010-04-21 5:30 PM

Nope.  I still have it.  I put it on Craigslist, today.  THought I had it sold in the 1st hour....but the guy was wanting it for his kid in college.  He said (after seeing photos of it) that he thought it was screaming "steal me"!

I don't blame him.  I've got it priced to sell, though.  It'll sell, soon enough.

Now....back to that swim mojo...........................waitin'!

I had a great masters swim tonight...so whatever mojo I got...you can gladly have it.  Shipping from Hawaii is pretty expensive though...especially to the east coast.  You might not get it till next Friday.
2010-04-22 1:16 AM
in reply to: #2809085

User image

Thomasski - 2010-04-21 9:00 PM I just wanted to apologize in advance for me breaking my training plan (if you can call it that) so I can go to Hawaii for two weeks in June. I just bought the tickets and there is nobody around to tell. So I thought I might tell the only people who may care... cause the rest of BT will probably try to crucify me due to the way they have been acting lately

Where in Hawaii are you going?  If you're coming to O'ahu, I can suggest some places you can swim, run, and bike (if you're willing to rent).  There's a Saturday/Sunday group that is affiliated with a LBS that rents road bikes...almost everytime I ride with them, there is someone from out of town in the ride.
2010-04-22 1:40 AM
in reply to: #2809093

User image

Chicago
tri808 - 2010-04-22 1:16 AM
Thomasski - 2010-04-21 9:00 PM I just wanted to apologize in advance for me breaking my training plan (if you can call it that) so I can go to Hawaii for two weeks in June. I just bought the tickets and there is nobody around to tell. So I thought I might tell the only people who may care... cause the rest of BT will probably try to crucify me due to the way they have been acting lately

Where in Hawaii are you going?  If you're coming to O'ahu, I can suggest some places you can swim, run, and bike (if you're willing to rent).  There's a Saturday/Sunday group that is affiliated with a LBS that rents road bikes...almost everytime I ride with them, there is someone from out of town in the ride.

Hey lost best friend... We are flying into O'ahu for a day and night and then we are finally taking our honeymoon cruise. I wont be stationary long enough to enjoy your island. If you are open I could use a tour of the north shore where my sister lived for three years. And if you know of any awesome hotels with great bar specials hit me up

2010-04-22 1:54 AM
in reply to: #2809100

User image

Thomasski - 2010-04-21 9:40 PM

Hey lost best friend... We are flying into O'ahu for a day and night and then we are finally taking our honeymoon cruise. I wont be stationary long enough to enjoy your island. If you are open I could use a tour of the north shore where my sister lived for three years. And if you know of any awesome hotels with great bar specials hit me up

North shore is an all day thing...takes about an hour to drive out there one way from Waikiki (which is where I assume you will be staying).  If you have a short amount of time, I would suggest staying close.  If you like hiking, you can visit the Diamond head crater and hike up near the top.  I think it's only a 1 mile hike...very touristy.  Pearl Harbor is somewhat close...but that can be an all day thing too as there are 4 main attractions...the Missouri, the Arizona...and I forget the other 2.

Or you can just go to the beach and relax...which is probably more my speed.  I'm not really into the whole tourist thing where you have to rush...I like to take my time.  You really can't go wrong with any of the major hotels in Waikiki.  The beach front ones are the best...but of course are much more expensive.  If it's just for one night though...I say go for it...soak as much of it in.  They all have really nice open air bars bordering the beach.  I don't go into Waikiki much, so I can't tell you off hand which ones are the best.
2010-04-22 2:04 AM
in reply to: #2809103

User image

Chicago
tri808 - 2010-04-22 1:54 AM
Thomasski - 2010-04-21 9:40 PM

North shore is an all day thing...takes about an hour to drive out there one way from Waikiki (which is where I assume you will be staying).  If you have a short amount of time, I would suggest staying close.  If you like hiking, you can visit the Diamond head crater and hike up near the top.  I think it's only a 1 mile hike...very touristy.  Pearl Harbor is somewhat close...but that can be an all day thing too as there are 4 main attractions...the Missouri, the Arizona...and I forget the other 2.

Or you can just go to the beach and relax...which is probably more my speed.  I'm not really into the whole tourist thing where you have to rush...I like to take my time.  You really can't go wrong with any of the major hotels in Waikiki.  The beach front ones are the best...but of course are much more expensive.  If it's just for one night though...I say go for it...soak as much of it in.  They all have really nice open air bars bordering the beach.  I don't go into Waikiki much, so I can't tell you off hand which ones are the best.

Sounds good to me... I am inviting you for drinks at whatever hotel we stay at... since we are long lost best friends you have to say yes... haha
2010-04-22 5:36 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Thomasski - 2010-04-22 2:00 AM I just wanted to apologize in advance for me breaking my training plan (if you can call it that) so I can go to Hawaii for two weeks in June. I just bought the tickets and there is nobody around to tell. So I thought I might tell the only people who may care... cause the rest of BT will probably try to crucify me due to the way they have been acting lately

That's awesome dude,  enjoy your honeymoon.  I'm sure you deserve it....don't feel guilty, just have a blast.  You'll have plenty of time to do work when you get back! 
2010-04-22 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Hey Carl - Did you see/hear about this: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2795106;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread ?

Maybe your dehydration/hospital visit wasn't your fault (of course this is all speculation, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions on it just yet).
2010-04-22 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Thomasski - 2010-04-22 1:00 AM I just wanted to apologize in advance for me breaking my training plan (if you can call it that) so I can go to Hawaii for two weeks in June. I just bought the tickets and there is nobody around to tell. So I thought I might tell the only people who may care... cause the rest of BT will probably try to crucify me due to the way they have been acting lately

Just make sure you keep a tab on the all those pina coloda calories - It should probably only take a few hours of running each day to burn them off!

But seriously, I am going to Finland for 3 weeks in June. When I get back I will only have 3 more weeks to train for my first tri. So let me know how the training goes when you get back.

2010-04-22 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2809365

User image

Champion
jsiegs - 2010-04-22 6:58 AM

Hey Carl - Did you see/hear about this: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2795106;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread ?

Maybe your dehydration/hospital visit wasn't your fault (of course this is all speculation, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions on it just yet).

i sent him that (or one of the other ones) last night, the list is still growning on people that have/are getting sick.....

not looking good for USAT once again.
2010-04-22 11:47 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
jsiegs - 2010-04-22 8:58 AM Hey Carl - Did you see/hear about this: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2795106;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread ?

Interesting....that's really too bad.  I'd like to know what the outcome is...keep us posted.

Carl,  did you drink/eat anything they were handing out?
2010-04-22 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison

Cycling question....might be a little long, (sorry) just trying to give you a clear pic of where I'm coming from!

Quick background- Last year was my first season tri'ng, and I knew nothing about the sport especailly cycling. I was able to buy a used 2001 QR Kilo, w/upgraded components (Mix of Shimano Ultegra/Tiagra/105's, 650 tires) from a teammate for a very good price. May 2009 was my first bike ride in over 10 years. I kid you not, my very first ride on that thing was 10 miles, avg 10 mph. Pathetic, I know. But after lots of time in the saddle near the end of the seasson I was able to hold 16-18 mph avg on 20-35 mile training rides. Still not blistering but heck of a lot better from 10 mph.

Fast forward to now-I've been on the bike a total of 3 times since the beginning of this year and yes, I plan on riding 3-4x a week. So, I just bought a new road bike last Friday, the Trek 1.1. It's nothing fancy, basic entry level bike w/low end components w/700 tires. I want to become a better all around cyclist and do more group rides. That's why I got the roadie but I will keep my TT bike for solo rides and tris. I went on an easy 20 mile ride yesterday and overall I like the bike and it does ride a bit different than my QR, but that is to be expected. I *think* I found my "happy" gear and cadence but I'm sure the more I ride I'll adapt. 

What I didn't expect was to struggle up hills like I did yesterday. I thought road bikes were supposed to be "easier". I wasn't expecting a miracle between the bikes, but honestly going by RPE, my tri bike is WAAAY easier to climb hills (and by hills, I use that term loosely living in TX). I can usually keep up w/my usual riding partners going up the hills on my tri bike but last night I got dropped so badly. Also, I had a hard time keeping up going into the head wind as well. I know my current cycling fitness is sadly lacking but the 2 rides I did on my tri bike were not nearly as bad on hills.

This just might be a case of suck it up buttercup and HTFU up on my end. Yeah, I just need to ride more.....sorry, above paragraph is more of a b!tch fest....I would delete it but I figured I spent this time typing it, it will stay

2010-04-22 2:31 PM

User image

jsiegs - 2010-04-22 3:58 AM Hey Carl - Did you see/hear about this: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2795106;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread ?

Wow...I only started OW swimming recently...but now I remember how flash flooding can polute some of our waters near runoff areas here in Hawaii.
2010-04-22 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2810664

User image

tnguyen1 - 2010-04-22 10:30 AM

Cycling question....might be a little long, (sorry) just trying to give you a clear pic of where I'm coming from!

Quick background- Last year was my first season tri'ng, and I knew nothing about the sport especailly cycling. I was able to buy a used 2001 QR Kilo, w/upgraded components (Mix of Shimano Ultegra/Tiagra/105's, 650 tires) from a teammate for a very good price. May 2009 was my first bike ride in over 10 years. I kid you not, my very first ride on that thing was 10 miles, avg 10 mph. Pathetic, I know. But after lots of time in the saddle near the end of the seasson I was able to hold 16-18 mph avg on 20-35 mile training rides. Still not blistering but heck of a lot better from 10 mph.

Fast forward to now-I've been on the bike a total of 3 times since the beginning of this year and yes, I plan on riding 3-4x a week. So, I just bought a new road bike last Friday, the Trek 1.1. It's nothing fancy, basic entry level bike w/low end components w/700 tires. I want to become a better all around cyclist and do more group rides. That's why I got the roadie but I will keep my TT bike for solo rides and tris. I went on an easy 20 mile ride yesterday and overall I like the bike and it does ride a bit different than my QR, but that is to be expected. I *think* I found my "happy" gear and cadence but I'm sure the more I ride I'll adapt. 

What I didn't expect was to struggle up hills like I did yesterday. I thought road bikes were supposed to be "easier". I wasn't expecting a miracle between the bikes, but honestly going by RPE, my tri bike is WAAAY easier to climb hills (and by hills, I use that term loosely living in TX). I can usually keep up w/my usual riding partners going up the hills on my tri bike but last night I got dropped so badly. Also, I had a hard time keeping up going into the head wind as well. I know my current cycling fitness is sadly lacking but the 2 rides I did on my tri bike were not nearly as bad on hills.

This just might be a case of suck it up buttercup and HTFU up on my end. Yeah, I just need to ride more.....sorry, above paragraph is more of a b!tch fest....I would delete it but I figured I spent this time typing it, it will stay

I don't own a tri bike...hopefully by the end of the day I will...but it may just be your bike fitness.  Were your 3 rides all very recently...like in the past week.  Could it be that you are experiencing fatigue from the first 2 rides since your endurance is likely down.  Or maybe you have been running a lot recently.

I don't know...just a guess.  I have off days all the time on the bike.  Sometimes I smoke everyone on my ride during the climbs...and other times I have to hang way in the back and catch up later.

2010-04-22 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2810684

User image

tri808 - 2010-04-22 10:41 AM
tnguyen1 - 2010-04-22 10:30 AM

I don't own a tri bike...hopefully by the end of the day I will...but it may just be your bike fitness.  Were your 3 rides all very recently...like in the past week.  Could it be that you are experiencing fatigue from the first 2 rides since your endurance is likely down.  Or maybe you have been running a lot recently.

I don't know...just a guess.  I have off days all the time on the bike.  Sometimes I smoke everyone on my ride during the climbs...and other times I have to hang way in the back and catch up later.

ETA:  Actually, have you gotten fit for this road bike.  That could explain a lot. 

2010-04-22 5:37 PM
in reply to: #2810686

User image

Champion
bike fitness and comfort/being used to the new bike.

they are easier to climb on seated (out of the saddle is about hte same), but its not a huge change.

2010-04-22 6:39 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
I would think going from a 650 to 700 wheel will make it feel a lot different also.
2010-04-22 6:41 PM
in reply to: #2811163

User image

Champion
jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-22 5:39 PM

I would think going from a 650 to 700 wheel will make it feel a lot different also.

assuming its geared correctly it wont feel all that much diff (i'm short enough that i have been back and forth between them).

sprinting you notice it a bit the first ride or so, but outside of that nothing.
2010-04-22 8:25 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Just in case anybody else is thinking there weather sucks  - its snowing here. Supposed to get 5-7 inches by Sat. There was a 5k I was interested in running on Sat. Most likely will skip it if its 30 degrees and snowing. I know Im a ....

2010-04-22 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2811099

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
newbz - 2010-04-23 7:37 AM bike fitness and comfort/being used to the new bike. they are easier to climb on seated (out of the saddle is about hte same), but its not a huge change.

If the tri bike has her more forward on the bike, won't that more readily allow her to engage larger muscles?  If the road bike has her further back (no aerobars), she may be trying to push the hills using her calf muscles?   Just a thought based on my limited experience after adding aerobars to my road bike. 
2010-04-22 8:43 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Does anyone have an opinion on racing shoes?  I was on an easy run tonight and since I was going slowly I had some extra time to think about random stuff.  Anyway,  if I wore a racing shoe how much time would I actually be able to cut per mile?  On my last race I avg. 6:46 miles for the 5k distance.  I know the shoes are lighter but would they actually allow me to run that much faster?  either way I am not going to run out to buy a pair because with my knee history I won't be doing without the additional cushioning in my Mizuno's.

BTW, my easy run tonight was a 5k at an avg. 8:31 miles.  2 years ago that kind of pace for the same distance would have been a tough one.  Or at least harder than many of the runs I currently do.  I was thinking about that in the extra few minutes I was running tonight.  I was kinda gloating to myself while running.

2010-04-22 10:07 PM
in reply to: #2811366

User image

Champion
dcon - 2010-04-22 7:39 PM

newbz - 2010-04-23 7:37 AM bike fitness and comfort/being used to the new bike. they are easier to climb on seated (out of the saddle is about hte same), but its not a huge change.

If the tri bike has her more forward on the bike, won't that more readily allow her to engage larger muscles? If the road bike has her further back (no aerobars), she may be trying to push the hills using her calf muscles? Just a thought based on my limited experience after adding aerobars to my road bike.

the road bike will allow more muscles to be drawn on, ie hamstrings, glutes, quads.

the more forward position shifts more onto the quads and less on the back leg muscles.
2010-04-22 10:10 PM
in reply to: #2811374

User image

Champion
DirkP - 2010-04-22 7:43 PM

Does anyone have an opinion on racing shoes? I was on an easy run tonight and since I was going slowly I had some extra time to think about random stuff. Anyway, if I wore a racing shoe how much time would I actually be able to cut per mile? On my last race I avg. 6:46 miles for the 5k distance. I know the shoes are lighter but would they actually allow me to run that much faster? either way I am not going to run out to buy a pair because with my knee history I won't be doing without the additional cushioning in my Mizuno's.

BTW, my easy run tonight was a 5k at an avg. 8:31 miles. 2 years ago that kind of pace for the same distance would have been a tough one. Or at least harder than many of the runs I currently do. I was thinking about that in the extra few minutes I was running tonight. I was kinda gloating to myself while running.

if you dont mind answering here (if so just PM me), how much do you weight/how tall? part of lighting shoes i think should be body size.

that said, flats over trainers is between 1 and 4 sec per mile depending on the shoe. not a huge diff at all, but if its worth it to you, weigh the options and possible issues with them.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105