BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2010-06-23 10:04 PM
in reply to: #2775149

CO
Subject: RE: Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED
I'm off on a 12 day vacation to the midwest, so my time online (and training) will be spotty.  I am bringing the bike and wetsuit though.

Everyone have good races and train hard.

2010-06-23 10:32 PM
in reply to: #2940437

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
bartimaeus - 2010-06-23 11:03 PM

sstucker - 2010-06-23 8:17 PM  Back to the bike. Question for the veterans. What part of the rotation should a rooky concentrate on during training and racing. Should we concentrate on the top of the rotation (pushing with toes horizontally) or bottom (scrape horizontally) or something else. Tonight I worked on the top only. Unfortunately I don’t have a trainer so it’s on the road only. Thanks Sylvain

I'm not sure about the top/bottom thing Sylvain, but I read something here on BT that discussed practicing making a full circle with your feet.  It said to think about one foot at a time, say 100 revolutions of the left, and visualize yourself making a perfect circle and keeping the power transfer even around it.  Then switch to the right, then both.  But Moogle (Michael) can probably give a better answer.

I saw video by Joe Friel yesterday. He mentions concentrating on one at a time as a beginner, maybe there's more to it then he gives in this video. Newbie on the bike, and I always thought of full circle also till I saw that video. Now I'm confused. More research is required.

thanks

Edited by sstucker 2010-06-23 11:07 PM
2010-06-24 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2939559

User image

Regular
bartimaeus - 2010-06-23 3:59 PM Mark, where did you get the swim socks?

Mike,

I bought a pair of Blue Seventy socks from our local Tri sponsor (just before the first race of the season in 60 degree water - Yes, they did a brisk business that night... :-), but you should be able to find them online at a number of stores:

http://www.blueseventy.com/products/detail/swim_socks

- Mark
2010-06-24 1:42 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Alright, let's talk about pedaling.

First, we should dispel a myth:  while there is such a thing as good and bad technique, producing higher and lower efficiency, you will not see huge gains on the bike by improving efficiency.  This is not to say that you shouldn't do it!  Just don't expect to magically become a lot faster by fixing any small problems in technique.  And yes, if you have problems (any of us), they are small.  Being a machine, the bike basically forces the rider to have at least passably decent technique.  (Compare that with swimming, where poor technique can mean massive wasting of energy -- I could post a video of me swimming to illustrate that point!)

OK, so how should we pedal, and how should we learn to pedal that way?

There was a famous study by Coyle et al. a while back.  You can get a copy from his web site, here.  I happen to like science and numbers and stuff like that, so I read the whole thing, but the only thing you really need to look at is Figure 5, which looks like this:

Coyle Figure 5

This figure shows the average torque generated by two different groups of cyclists.  The solid line is the average of elite national-level cyclists ("group 1") and the dotted line is the average of what they called "good state class" cyclists ("group 2").  0 degrees is 12 o'clock if the crank is a hand on a clock; 180 degrees is 6 o'clock, and so on.

There are several important things to notice here.

(1) The group 2 cyclists have a slightly smoother stroke.  Notice, for example, that just after the bottom of the stroke (just after 180 degrees in the figure) they continue to put some torque on the pedals.  And on the upstroke (around 270 degrees) they are doing a better job of unweighting the pedal, and in fact they manage to generate somewhat of a pull up on the pedal.  The elites are pressing down on the pedal here slightly (which is why the torque goes negative).

(2) Despite the slightly better efficiency of the group 2 cyclists, the group 1 cyclists perform better overall, and they accomplish this by putting much more power into the pedals during the power phase of the stroke.

(3) Along similar lines, the power phase of the stroke is by far the most important part of the stroke.  The rest of the phase is just about irrelevant.

So what do we learn from this?  Well, it is definitely useful to do the 'scraping the mud' thing at the bottom of the stroke and the 'rolling the barrel' thing at the top of the stroke, but these actions are not really for the purpose of producing power.  You do them so that the leg that is not (at the moment) producing power does not act against the leg that is producing power.  You want the leg that is producing power to be sending all of that power (well, as much as possible) to the rear wheel.  You don't want some of that power to be eaten up pushing your lazy other leg up the back half of the stroke.

So think of it like this: "I'm producing power from around 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock, and the rest of the time I'm making sure that my leg takes responsibility for getting itself around the rest of the stroke, so that my other leg doesn't have to do that work."

If you think about what muscles are involved here, it makes perfect sense to relegate everything except around 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock to 'just getting around'.  Your quads and glutes and to some extent calves are involved from around 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock, and the rest of the time, other muscles (mostly the hip flexor on the upstroke) take over.  Those other muscles are much much weaker than your glutes and quads and calves.  They just cannot contribute much.

OK, so how do we learn this technique?  First, as I said before, a large part of it is just forced on us by the bike itself and our anatomy.  The bike forces us to pedal in circles.  That's the only way the crank moves!  And you can try to generate loads of power on the upstroke with your hip flexor, but good luck doing that for more than a few minutes.

But even within these parameters, there is still better and worse.  It is entirely possible that you (and that's the generic 'you' here -- I'm not referring to anyone in particular) have 'dead' spots in your stroke where the opposite leg is having to do extra work to push the lazy leg around.

I think that the best two drills you can do here are one-legged pedaling and spin-ups.  (You have to be clipped in, or have the toe cage wrenched down pretty tight, to do these properly.)

One-legged pedaling:  Just unclip one foot and keep it out of the way, while you pedal with the other foot for 30-60 seconds at first.  These are hard, and you will get tired quickly!  That's because this drill forces you to produce power during the weak phases of the stroke, and as I said, the muscles that do that are weak.  (Do this in a safe place, or on the trainer!)  Don't try to go fast.  This drill is to develop muscle memory, not fitness.

Spin-ups:  Slowly increase cadence (in a very easy gear!) until you start to bounce in the saddle and cannot keep it smooth any more.  Then back off a bit to smooth things out and hold your cadence there for 30-60 seconds.  Again, don't try to go fast.  This drill is to develop muscle memory, not fitness.

What Friel is advocating (and I think it is a good idea, though clearly you should listen to him, not me!) is, when you are doing these drills (or just trying to be conscious of your stroke for a while while riding), you should focus on one phase of the stroke at a time.  There are four phases, roughly:  2-5 o'clock (power); 5-8 o'clock (scraping mud); 8-11 (upstroke); 11-2 o'clock (rolling the barrel).  Of course, the ultimate goal is to put it all together into a nice smooth pedaling action.

Whew!  That took longer to say than it does to do it.  Don't spend undo amounts of time on this stuff.  You will see some gains from it, but in general our limiter on the bike is not technique but fitness.

Edited by Experior 2010-06-25 8:37 AM
2010-06-24 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2941455

User image

Expert
Salem
OneFastMule - 2010-06-24 10:04 AM
bartimaeus - 2010-06-23 3:59 PM Mark, where did you get the swim socks?

Mike,

I bought a pair of Blue Seventy socks from our local Tri sponsor (just before the first race of the season in 60 degree water - Yes, they did a brisk business that night... :-), but you should be able to find them online at a number of stores:

http://www.blueseventy.com/products/detail/swim_socks

- Mark

I went to my local Scuba Diver Shop and bought a pair there.  They are actually 3mm thick not the typical 1.5mm thick.  Very nice and warm.  Does collect some water but very minimal.

Brian
2010-06-24 6:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Ok guys, I need some input here. I seriously thinking about signing up for a tri on July 11th. It's a pretty big event around here with a lot of "elite" triathletes participating. BTW as you all know, I'm not elite, but it looks like it would be a lot of fun.

The distances in the bike and run are no problem. The swim is a .62 mile OWS. I'm not the strongest swimmer. However, it is a wetsuit race. I think the buoyancy of a sleeveless wetsuit would help with my swim deficiencies. What do you think? Do you think I can get through the distance without drowning? I can do a mile in the pool, but OWS?

Phil

2010-06-24 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2942581

User image

Expert
StlPhil - 2010-06-24 7:51 PM Ok guys, I need some input here. I seriously thinking about signing up for a tri on July 11th. It's a pretty big event around here with a lot of "elite" triathletes participating. BTW as you all know, I'm not elite, but it looks like it would be a lot of fun.

The distances in the bike and run are no problem. The swim is a .62 mile OWS. I'm not the strongest swimmer. However, it is a wetsuit race. I think the buoyancy of a sleeveless wetsuit would help with my swim deficiencies. What do you think? Do you think I can get through the distance without drowning? I can do a mile in the pool, but OWS?

Phil

Go for it!
2010-06-24 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2941850

User image

Expert
Experior - 2010-06-24 2:42 PM Alright, let's talk about pedaling.

First, we should dispel a myth:  while there is such a thing as good and bad technique, producing higher and lower efficiency, you will not see huge gains on the bike by improving efficiency.  This is not to say that you shouldn't do it!  Just don't expect to magically become a lot faster by fixing any small problems in technique.  And yes, if you have problems (any of us), they are small.  Being a machine, the bike basically forces the rider to have at least passably decent technique.  (Compare that with swimming, where poor technique can mean massive wasting of energy -- I could post a video of me swimming to illustrate that point!)

OK, so how should we pedal, and how should we learn to pedal that way?

There was a famous study by Coyle et al. a while back.  You can get a copy from his web site, here.  I happen to like science and numbers and stuff like that, so I read the whole thing, but the only thing you really need to look at is Figure 5, which looks like this:

Coyle Figure 5

This figure shows the average torque generated by two different groups of cyclists.  The solid line is the average of elite national-level cyclists ("group 1") and the dotted line is the average of what they called "good state class" cyclists ("group 2").  0 degrees is 12 o'clock if the crank is a hand on a clock; 180 degrees is 6 o'clock, and so on.

There are several important things to notice here.

(1) The group 2 cyclists have a slightly smoother stroke.  Notice, for example, that just after the bottom of the stroke (just after 180 degrees in the figure) they are putting zero pressure on the pedals.  In other words, they are wasting zero energy pushing down on the pedal at this point.  And on the upstroke (around 270 degrees) they are doing a better job of unweighting the pedal, and in fact they manage to generate somewhat of a pull up on the pedal (which is why the torque goes negative).

(2) Despite the slightly better efficiency of the group 2 cyclists, the group 1 cyclists perform better overall, and they accomplish this by putting much more power into the pedals during the power phase of the stroke.

(3) Along similar lines, the power phase of the stroke is by far the most important part of the stroke.  The rest of the phase is just about irrelevant.

So what do we learn from this?  Well, it is definitely useful to do the 'scraping the mud' thing at the bottom of the stroke and the 'rolling the barrel' thing at the top of the stroke, but these actions are not really for the purpose of producing power.  You do them so that the leg that is not (at the moment) producing power does not act against the leg that is producing power.  You want the leg that is producing power to be sending all of that power (well, as much as possible) to the rear wheel.  You don't want some of that power to be eaten up pushing your lazy other leg up the back half of the stroke.

So think of it like this: "I'm producing power from around 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock, and the rest of the time I'm making sure that my leg takes responsibility for getting itself around the rest of the stroke, so that my other leg doesn't have to do that work."

If you think about what muscles are involved here, it makes perfect sense to relegate everything except around 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock to 'just getting around'.  Your quads and glutes and to some extent calves are involved from around 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock, and the rest of the time, other muscles (mostly the hip flexor on the upstroke) take over.  Those other muscles are much much weaker than your glutes and quads and calves.  They just cannot contribute much.

OK, so how do we learn this technique?  First, as I said before, a large part of it is just forced on us by the bike itself and our anatomy.  The bike forces us to pedal in circles.  That's the only way the crank moves!  And you can try to generate loads of power on the upstroke with your hip flexor, but good luck doing that for more than a few minutes.

But even within these parameters, there is still better and worse.  It is entirely possible that you (and that's the generic 'you' here -- I'm not referring to anyone in particular) have 'dead' spots in your stroke where the opposite leg is having to do extra work to push the lazy leg around.

I think that the best two drills you can do here are one-legged pedaling and spin-ups.  (You have to be clipped in, or have the toe cage wrenched down pretty tight, to do these properly.)

One-legged pedaling:  Just unclip one foot and keep it out of the way, while you pedal with the other foot for 30-60 seconds at first.  These are hard, and you will get tired quickly!  That's because this drill forces you to produce power during the weak phases of the stroke, and as I said, the muscles that do that are weak.  (Do this in a safe place, or on the trainer!)  Don't try to go fast.  This drill is to develop muscle memory, not fitness.

Spin-ups:  Slowly increase cadence (in a very easy gear!) until you start to bounce in the saddle and cannot keep it smooth any more.  Then back off a bit to smooth things out and hold your cadence there for 30-60 seconds.  Again, don't try to go fast.  This drill is to develop muscle memory, not fitness.

What Friel is advocating (and I think it is a good idea, though clearly you should listen to him, not me!) is, when you are doing these drills (or just trying to be conscious of your stroke for a while while riding), you should focus on one phase of the stroke at a time.  There are four phases, roughly:  2-5 o'clock (power); 5-8 o'clock (scraping mud); 8-11 (upstroke); 11-2 o'clock (rolling the barrel).  Of course, the ultimate goal is to put it all together into a nice smooth pedaling action.

Whew!  That took longer to say than it does to do it.  Don't spend undo amounts of time on this stuff.  You will see some gains from it, but in general our limiter on the bike is not technique but fitness.

Holy Smokes! As my Dad would say: you've forgotten more than I'll ever know!
2010-06-24 8:30 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-06-24 7:51 PM Ok guys, I need some input here. I seriously thinking about signing up for a tri on July 11th. It's a pretty big event around here with a lot of "elite" triathletes participating. BTW as you all know, I'm not elite, but it looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Phil

Yep.  Do it.  You can't sink in a wetsuit.  Worst case scenario (OK, barring lake sharks and whatever) is that you have to sit there and float for a while.

It'll be a great experience.  I say do it.
2010-06-24 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
StlPhil - 2010-06-24 7:51 PM

Ok guys, I need some input here. I seriously thinking about signing up for a tri on July 11th. It's a pretty big event around here with a lot of "elite" triathletes participating. BTW as you all know, I'm not elite, but it looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Phil

Darn you, you're making me look like a wuss waiting until August for my first Sprint. Just kidding

Go for it!
2010-06-24 11:19 PM
in reply to: #2942726

User image

Expert
Salem
Experior - 2010-06-24 6:30 PM

Phil

Yep.  Do it.  You can't sink in a wetsuit.  Worst case scenario (OK, barring lake sharks and whatever) is that you have to sit there and float for a while.

It'll be a great experience.  I say do it.

I say DO IT!!!  You'll learn from the experience of open water.  It is amazing what a little bouyancy does for your swim form.

2010-06-24 11:37 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Had a teribble run this evening.  I went out way to fast and began doing some 30 sec. bursts as per my workout.  Got through with about 5 and had eight to do.  I was pretty tired, must have been from my Bike TT yesterday.  I ended up walking about three times for about a minute each.  Still managed under 9:00 mile, but it wasn't pretty.  Finished strong though.

I have an open water swim tomorrow evening at the local reservior; looking forward to this.  I am thinking about cutting my workouts to about two disciplines a week instead of three.  I just can't get them all in right now.  So instead of fighting it and feeling bad about it I'll reduce some for these next two sprints.  I may still run three each week, but the bike and swim not so much.  The added distance to my swimming has begun to give me some pain in my left shoulder so I am going to back off some and keep it 1800 or 2000.  I think I have a pretty good base right now for my next two sprints; Beginning of July and then vacation for two weeks; (no biking but I'll be able to swim and run).  (Going to South Dakota - may try to get a Mt. Bike Ride in  the Black Hills with a friend, his kids and my son).  

When I get back my next Sprint isn't until the beginning of Sept., but I may do one other the following weekend to see if I can get ranked Regionally in the Sprint Distance or Olympic Distance.  I then have a couple of weeks to prep for my final Oly race in Sept. 

Not sure why I am telling you all this, but I am.  Kind of unloading all this stuff in my head.  Sorry.
2010-06-25 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2942924

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
TriGuyBri - 2010-06-25 12:37 AM Had a teribble run this evening.  I went out way to fast and began doing some 30 sec. bursts as per my workout.  Got through with about 5 and had eight to do.  I was pretty tired, must have been from my Bike TT yesterday.  I ended up walking about three times for about a minute each.  Still managed under 9:00 mile, but it wasn't pretty.  Finished strong though.

It happens.  I wouldn't sweat it.  Nice job fighting through it.

I have an open water swim tomorrow evening at the local reservior; looking forward to this.

I have been getting more OWS in recently and really loving it.  I find it so much easier to put the time in at the lake than in the pool.

I am thinking about cutting my workouts to about two disciplines a week instead of three.  I just can't get them all in right now.  So instead of fighting it and feeling bad about it I'll reduce some for these next two sprints.  I may still run three each week, but the bike and swim not so much.  The added distance to my swimming has begun to give me some pain in my left shoulder so I am going to back off some and keep it 1800 or 2000.  I think I have a pretty good base right now for my next two sprints;

I agree completely.  Don't stretch beyond what your life will permit.  We're all in different places in that regard, and we have to do what we can without making it a drudgery.  This is for fun, right?!

Beginning of July and then vacation for two weeks; (no biking but I'll be able to swim and run).  (Going to South Dakota - may try to get a Mt. Bike Ride in  the Black Hills with a friend, his kids and my son).  

Sounds like a great time!

When I get back my next Sprint isn't until the beginning of Sept., but I may do one other the following weekend to see if I can get ranked Regionally in the Sprint Distance or Olympic Distance.  I then have a couple of weeks to prep for my final Oly race in Sept. 

Not sure why I am telling you all this, but I am.  Kind of unloading all this stuff in my head.  Sorry.

Unload whenever you want!  I'm pretty sure that's why we're here!
2010-06-25 8:40 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hey everyone.  I wrote the 'pedaling' post a bit too quickly.  My point (1) as I wrote it originally was wrong.  I fixed it.  Just so you know...
2010-06-26 11:44 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I hope everyone is having a great weekend.  I had a great race this morning (RR later today).

I'm packing now (OK, soon...) for a week's vacation.  I'll try to check in with everyone once before I leave.  Internet access might be spotty (or via iPhone -- short posts only from there!) while I'm gone.
2010-06-26 12:56 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Race report.

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone.  As I said above, I'm on vacation next week, and unsure what my internet situation will be, but I'll at least be able to access via iPhone and make short and hopefully encouraging remarks!

2010-06-26 9:58 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Again Nice Job Michael.  I'll take your loss of several places any day if I can have an end result like that.  Dang you can run fast.!!!  What's next on the agenda?

I ahd a very productive day.  Power washed the house this morning, then my wife and I went to get new phones.  Ended up spending more than we thought we would and each got G3 Iphones.  NICE!!!!!  I think my wife, who doesn't use her current phone, is going to love this one.  She is excited.

Onto the workout report.  Did a Brick workout this evening?  About 80 or so degrees out so it was kind of nice to be out in the sun getting tan and working up a sweat.  My HRM Watch says I burned 2417 cals.  I did a hilly 23.9 mile ride (about 1.5 hrs.) and a 5.11 mile run at an average pace of 8:48.  I actually felt real good.  Certainly not like the other day.

I have to tell you I went out a bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Syncrofloat III"s.  I found them on sale at the Pearl Izumi Outlet yesterday.  I couldn't resist as they have a seamless tongue and will match my Club Trisuit; when it ever gets here.  My ASICS have a spot on them near the end of the tongue that are tearing into my third toes on both feet.  I was able to wear my Pearls until about Mile 4.5 and felt a hot spot on the end of my toes so I put my socks on for the last 1/2 mile.  I think I have a couple of blisters.  I make sure to put some more glide there next time.  They felt good.

Last but not least.  Went for an OWS last night.  Only three of us showed up.  One new guy who was very slow; NOOBIE.  The swim Coordinator swam back and forth with this guy while I swam around the reservoir (ALONE).  OK that was weird at times.  Used to swimming with others so much.  When I got back I swam a couple of time up and back along the shorline with him.  It was nice as he was so appreciative of us taking to time so he could get used to OWS'ing.

Hve a great rest of the weekend everyone.  Again Nice job Michae1.  You make us proud!
2010-06-27 6:45 AM
in reply to: #2945992

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Sounds like a great workout, Brian. And yeah, I agree that Pearl Izumi stuff is nice.It's great that you were able to help out the new guy at OWS. I've been doing some of that (a bit in the OWS but mostly on the bike) around here and although it does sometimes compromise my own workout a bit it is definitely worth it to see someone else starting to get into tris.
2010-06-27 7:15 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Michael-another great result.  Is scotch a "performance enhancing drug"? Not my favorite but I'm willing to try. Cant imagine racing after a night of drinking now-takes me back to college when I played tennis.  I never let an upcoming match get in the way of a night out drinking.  Sounds like you are on your way to fully recovering from the injury.

I did a brick yesterday with 36 mile bike and 2 mile run.  Did 3 "hill loops" totaling 21.5 miles after warmup. Averaged about 20.5 mph with norm. power at 215 and avg power at 194.  Speed was little slower than expected but given intersections and stop signs I feel that I can average close to 21mph in Chattanooga.  2 mile run was not "too" bad.  Averaged right at 8 min miles which was better than expected.  No way I will be able to do full 10k at 8min/mile pace.

I am trying to figure out how to pace the bike for Chattanooga Olympic.  There are some long inclines with, of course, some long downhills.  Living on the Gulf Coast it is hard to do alot of hill training.  Hard to avoid the spikes in effort/power on the uphills.  Want to push it on the bike but dont want to die on the run-although that may happen anyway.

Any suggestions?  Headed out for 8 mile easy run before we hit the 110 heat index predicted.

Randy  

2010-06-27 5:27 PM
in reply to: #2946155

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slornow - 2010-06-27 8:15 AM

Michael-another great result.  Is scotch a "performance enhancing drug"? Not my favorite but I'm willing to try. Cant imagine racing after a night of drinking now-takes me back to college when I played tennis.  I never let an upcoming match get in the way of a night out drinking.  Sounds like you are on your way to fully recovering from the injury.

I did a brick yesterday with 36 mile bike and 2 mile run.  Did 3 "hill loops" totaling 21.5 miles after warmup. Averaged about 20.5 mph with norm. power at 215 and avg power at 194.  Speed was little slower than expected but given intersections and stop signs I feel that I can average close to 21mph in Chattanooga.  2 mile run was not "too" bad.  Averaged right at 8 min miles which was better than expected.  No way I will be able to do full 10k at 8min/mile pace.

I am trying to figure out how to pace the bike for Chattanooga Olympic.  There are some long inclines with, of course, some long downhills.  Living on the Gulf Coast it is hard to do alot of hill training.  Hard to avoid the spikes in effort/power on the uphills.  Want to push it on the bike but dont want to die on the run-although that may happen anyway.

Any suggestions?  Headed out for 8 mile easy run before we hit the 110 heat index predicted.

Randy  

I almost never drink any more (I used to be a champ...), which made it even harder...

Sounds like a good workout.

I do have some thoughts about pacing that Oly course. I think I'll have Internet access Mon or Tue and I'll try to type up somethoughts then. (This is about my limit on the phone...)

Edited by Experior 2010-06-27 5:30 PM
2010-06-28 2:37 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hey everyone.  I've got a short bout of real internet access today.  The family and I are enjoying the beach, even if it is 5000 degrees.  I have to admit that I enjoy the mountains more, but playing in the waves with the kids is good fun.

I don't have anything brilliant to say about pacing an Oly.  Here's how I think about it:

In a sprint, I try never to let up.  Sometimes the concentration slips and I do let up, but I try to bear in mind that the whole thing lasts around an hour, which means I should be in Z4 pretty much the whole time.  (Why?  Z4 is roughly the intensity that you could hold for an hour in a given discipline.  But we are spreading our effort out over 3 disciplines, which to some extent allows us to be in Z4 for more than we would be able to withstand if it were just one discipline.)

Basically, my 'strategy' in a sprint is something like this:

SWIM:  go as hard as I can without getting hypoxic (and still it will be awful...); try to catch a draft
BIKE:  ignore how hard and awkward it feels to bike right after swim and go all out; be willing to go z5 briefly for strategic reasons (for example, to clear a pack or to pass a competitor in my AG); don't think about the run at all -- just figure that part out when I get there
RUN:  just hang on!

In an Oly, this strategy is too aggressive for my fitness.  The Oly is going to last about twice as long as the sprint.  Still, we do have the effect of going from the bike to the run, which uses different muscles to some extent, which does allow us to go harder for longer than we would be able to handle if we were just biking or, especially, just running.  So I'm willing to flirt with z4 on the bike for extended periods, but not the whole ride, and I'm a bit more willing to be patient and not 'burn matches' (ride in z5) in situations where, in a sprint, I wouldn't hesitate to go for it.

The course profile (ETA: at Chattanooga), it seems to me, almost forces us to ride well.  It starts with about 3 miles of relative flat, which will allow us to get our legs.  Then a few miles of early climbing, some of it a little steep.  Here I'm going to definitely be willing to go z4 and climb hard.  We have a long time yet to recover from that.  After that it trends down for the next 7 miles, so here's where I'm going to hopefully get into a groove and settle in to high z3 riding.  Then we trend up for around 7 miles.  Hopefully by now I'm in that high z3 groove and will be able to maintain that effort comfortably.  This is the point where it will be important to keep the pressure on, but to resist the temptation to jump into z5 unless the strategic reason is very compelling.  The last 5 miles is mostly downhill.  If I have gone a bit hard before then, I'll use this downhill as a chance to recover a bit.  But if I'm feeling good, I will push here, as in general I find that I can pass a lot of people who soft-pedal the downhills.  Unless there is an overwhelming strategic reason not to do so, I will take it down a notch and spin for the last .5-1 miles in preparation for the run.

Running, my 10k strategy is pretty much the same as 5k:  start fast and try to hang on.  The only difference is the definition of 'fast'.  While I train the run better alone, I race it better in a group, so if I can find some feet to chase during the run, so much the better.  If not, I imagine that there is someone behind chasing me, and that usually keeps my pace up.

Edited by Experior 2010-06-28 4:46 PM

2010-06-29 7:38 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Its kind of quiet here with our speedy leader being on vacation.  How's everyone doing?  Anyone racing this weekend? Heidi how's your recovery coming? Hope everyone is doing well and getting in lots of good training.

I need a new profile picture-it was about 25 degrees when my current picture was taken-that was about 75 degrees ago!!!  

Randy

2010-06-29 9:10 PM
in reply to: #2951886

User image

Expert
Salem
slornow - 2010-06-29 5:38 PM

Its kind of quiet here with our speedy leader being on vacation.  How's everyone doing?  Anyone racing this weekend? Heidi how's your recovery coming? Hope everyone is doing well and getting in lots of good training.

I need a new profile picture-it was about 25 degrees when my current picture was taken-that was about 75 degrees ago!!!  

Randy

I have a Sprint Tri on July 10th.  It is a hilly bike a few on the run.  I have been riding hilly routes for about three to four weeks now.  I feel like I am getting stronger so it will be interesting to see how much I will improve my time from last year.  I am going to go sockless and try the bike dismount where you leave the shoes on the pedals and swing your leg over and step inside the other leg and do a running dismount.  I have been practicing in the grass after every ride and so far so good.  Want to see if I can save some easy minutes in transition.
2010-06-30 5:52 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hey everyone.  I managed a short bout of internet access today, and did a little poking around.  I think we all need to congratulate Phil!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=215203&start=1

I'll try to get on again in the next day or so.  I hope everyone is doing well.

Question for those who have done Olys:  What is your pacing strategy?  I posted mine, though honestly I haven't put much thought into it.  What works for you?
2010-06-30 6:40 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Michael/Phil-I saw Phil's thread.  I just couldn't think of anything clever to say so I just enjoyed the thread.  Phil, you are a brave man to post that type of question-good thing about BT is that everyone seems to be trying to help.  I read Slowtwitch forums regularly as well but rarely post.  Would love to see the responses you would get with that post on Slowtwitch-not quite as kind and gentle as BT.  Might have gotten ugly. 

Randy 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40