Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2010-06-08 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2908788

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!
debbiereid06 - 2010-06-08 2:02 PM Hey all!  It was a crazy weekend....my sister got engaged!  I am super excited for her.  So here is my dilemma (sp?) They want to get married in May, great...I don't want to be pregnant...not great.  So that means I need to start trying now.  Wasn't ready, but am okay with it.  Should I still shoot to do the 1/2 in October?  I think if I take it easy and plan to maybe walk some of it I should be fine.  My dr. seems to think if I am running now and stop my body won't know what to do and I should keep exercising.  I guess if I increase slowly I think I should be okay.  Help!  Suggestions???  And really it all depends on how fast I get pregnant.

Planning pregnancy is a tough thing!  It could take you 6 months to get pregnant!  You just never know.  Will you stop trying if you don't get pregnant by a certain time?  I was told during both my pregnancies not to increase what I was doing in any way but to keep it the same intensity/time/activities or less depending on how I was feeling.  I know I would not have felt comfortable training and increasing miles for a half marathon during either of my pregnancies.  I definitely agree that you should keep exercising when you get pregnant.  Good luck!!

2010-06-08 5:35 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I can't speak from experience, so this is my opinion from a boys view (so don't put too much stock into it)!  If you are not ready to get pregnant, then why let a little (or big) thing like your sis's wedding (congrats to ur sis) dictate when you should get pregnant.  I can imagine it not being fun being in a dress/wedding when you are pregnant (and what about those pictures ).  All the ladies can beat me down now!

But in the mean time, I would just train like you are not pregnant until you are told otherwise.  Plan on doing it, then you can always stop/slow down later when it happens.  Have you bought an entry into the race yet?  If not, wait until closer to decide.  If you have, then find a friend who would be willing to run if you can't make it. 

debbiereid06 - 2010-06-08 2:02 PM Hey all!  It was a crazy weekend....my sister got engaged!  I am super excited for her.  So here is my dilemma (sp?) They want to get married in May, great...I don't want to be pregnant...not great.  So that means I need to start trying now.  Wasn't ready, but am okay with it.  Should I still shoot to do the 1/2 in October?  I think if I take it easy and plan to maybe walk some of it I should be fine.  My dr. seems to think if I am running now and stop my body won't know what to do and I should keep exercising.  I guess if I increase slowly I think I should be okay.  Help!  Suggestions???  And really it all depends on how fast I get pregnant.
2010-06-08 6:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

stupid double post...pay no attention to this one:p

Edited by corstan 2010-06-08 6:09 PM
2010-06-08 6:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
debbiereid06 - 2010-06-08 12:02 PM Hey all!  It was a crazy weekend....my sister got engaged!  I am super excited for her.  So here is my dilemma (sp?) They want to get married in May, great...I don't want to be pregnant...not great.  So that means I need to start trying now.  Wasn't ready, but am okay with it.  Should I still shoot to do the 1/2 in October?  I think if I take it easy and plan to maybe walk some of it I should be fine.  My dr. seems to think if I am running now and stop my body won't know what to do and I should keep exercising.  I guess if I increase slowly I think I should be okay.  Help!  Suggestions???  And really it all depends on how fast I get pregnant.

Big decision!  and congrats to Sis! Until you are actually pregnant, train as you normally would.  Once you are pregnant, follow your doctor's direction, no two pregnancies are ever the same, so what is good advice for one, my not be good for another.  You should, if you are amongst the norm, be able to continue running/exercising at almost the same rate initially, as you progress, some exercise will just become uncomfortable, running usually being one of them because the baby can push on the bladder. Listen to your doctor and listen to your body.

Edited by corstan 2010-06-08 6:08 PM
2010-06-08 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Veteran
Thanks all!  I guess I should clarify that we were going to start trying next month anyway, so one month earlier isn't that big of a deal.  Also, as Meggan stated, it could take some time to get pregnant anyway.  Last time it took first time, sorry if that is TMI.  So I guess I will keep training until I know otherwise and then take it from there.  No real worrying about it until I know for sure!!!!  I am just a worrier and planner so of course I am talking about it already.  Thanks for the advice and for listening!!!  I appreciate it!
2010-06-09 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2909661

User image

Expert
Not that I have any experience but I have always heard the same thing what Meggan said - you should be ok as long as you keep the same intensity you have been training with but still isten to whatever your doctors say.  I also agree with T1 and don't understand the whole planning pregancies around weddings - haha.  I have a hard enough time planing my week in advance that I can't even comprehend planning something like that 9 months out.  But if you can pull it off and get pregnant as planned in a tight time frame then my hats off to you.  Conrgrats to your sister also.

debbiereid06 - 2010-06-08 7:52 PM Thanks all!  I guess I should clarify that we were going to start trying next month anyway, so one month earlier isn't that big of a deal.  Also, as Meggan stated, it could take some time to get pregnant anyway.  Last time it took first time, sorry if that is TMI.  So I guess I will keep training until I know otherwise and then take it from there.  No real worrying about it until I know for sure!!!!  I am just a worrier and planner so of course I am talking about it already.  Thanks for the advice and for listening!!!  I appreciate it!

2010-06-10 7:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Hey guys, sorry for my absenteeism these days.  I've been busy trying to organize my life again, and trying to get a good amount of sleep for the hours that I'm putting into my training.  I have been reading all of the updates, and I really haven't had much to say about them...  Sorry, Debbie, I don't even have anything that resembles experience in baby-planning, nor do I want to for some time  :P  I'm nowhere near there in my life!

I'll do my best to get on here again soon...  But I'll be at my cottage for the weekend (7 hr drive away...), and we won't have internet.  So Sunday night, I'll be back!   
2010-06-10 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
So how is everyone doing this week? 

Things have been crazy hectic at work this week so just on to do a quick check.  Wife came down with some sickness (throat/fever) so been busy trying to look after her too.  Hope she doesn't pass it on to me with less than 2 weeks from my race.  Got in a run/swim yesterday and will be doing the bike today. 

Hope everyone is enjoying their Thur and the weekend is almost here!
2010-06-10 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2913232

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
It's been a bit of a crazy week for me. I was supposed to be in doing some Training for work today and tomorrow, but the training provider failed to provide us with changes to the course and the time it was being offered so I spent most of yesterday fighting with them to get our training vouchers back(worth 4K) After going in circles with them, I sent in the big dogs(my husband the IT Manager) and today we have our vouchers back. 

Last night my new bootcamp boss, approached me, in front of my class and wanted me to sign a non-compete contract, I've written in detail about the experience in my log, but in a nutshell, this contract would stop me from teaching bootcamp in any way, shape or form, for one year in all of Canada, if I left or if he let me go.  So he could can me the next day and I wouldn't be able to teach a class...sigh.  He said sign it or don't, but if you don't, you are done.  So Saturday will most likely be my last bootcamp class, because I will not sign it.

So I'm looking forward to the weekend, well except for satruday morning, and getting on with the rest of my life
2010-06-10 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2913505

User image

Expert
Well that sucks - what an a-hole.  Has there been problems in the past with people leaving and taking clients?  That takes guts to not sign that so I guess good for you for having the conviction.  Maybe you could start your own class with your his clients.  Seems like you have a pretty loyal following?  Plus stick it to him for being an a-hole!!!

Last night my new bootcamp boss, approached me, in front of my class and wanted me to sign a non-compete contract, I've written in detail about the experience in my log, but in a nutshell, this contract would stop me from teaching bootcamp in any way, shape or form, for one year in all of Canada, if I left or if he let me go.  So he could can me the next day and I wouldn't be able to teach a class...sigh.  He said sign it or don't, but if you don't, you are done.  So Saturday will most likely be my last bootcamp class, because I will not sign it.

So I'm looking forward to the weekend, well except for satruday morning, and getting on with the rest of my life
2010-06-10 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2913505

User image

Expert
South Jersey
corstan - 2010-06-10 12:28 PM It's been a bit of a crazy week for me. I was supposed to be in doing some Training for work today and tomorrow, but the training provider failed to provide us with changes to the course and the time it was being offered so I spent most of yesterday fighting with them to get our training vouchers back(worth 4K) After going in circles with them, I sent in the big dogs(my husband the IT Manager) and today we have our vouchers back. 

Sorry to hear he is forcing you to make a decision like that!  It is crazy for it to be all of Canada and for an entire year!  It should also not be if he were to let you go.  Would you try to do something on your own?

2010-06-10 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

We have had a rough week at our house.  Logan decided to finally climb out of his crib Monday night and fell on his head.  He is fine.  He sobbed, snuggled on the couch with John for 10 minutes and then hit the ground running.  I was starting to paint Joey's room that night so I did more than planned so I could keep an eye on Logan for a few hours before I went to sleep.  Tuesday evening I was having some issues with Joe, Logan was scared of his crib, and then John and I argued.  I ended up going to bed early with no bike ride or painting done.  Last night i got a quick run in and then went back to painting Joey's room.  I must have been crazy picking a dark blue for the bottom third of his walls.  I painted a dark gray primer and three coats of paint last night and will paint a 4th coat tonight.  There goes my long run tonight!  I am hoping for 5 tonight on the treadmill and 5 tomorrow during the day.  I should be able to get it done during lunch and then take a quick shower at my parent's house. 

Next week is going to be busy too.  John is working late Sunday, Monday, Thursday and Friday.  So it means I am stuck on the treadmill or getting up at the crack of dawn to do something.  Gotta plan next week out!

2010-06-10 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2913534

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2010-06-10 10:36 AM
corstan - 2010-06-10 12:28 PM It's been a bit of a crazy week for me. I was supposed to be in doing some Training for work today and tomorrow, but the training provider failed to provide us with changes to the course and the time it was being offered so I spent most of yesterday fighting with them to get our training vouchers back(worth 4K) After going in circles with them, I sent in the big dogs(my husband the IT Manager) and today we have our vouchers back. 

Sorry to hear he is forcing you to make a decision like that!  It is crazy for it to be all of Canada and for an entire year!  It should also not be if he were to let you go.  Would you try to do something on your own?

No, I have thought about it, but this was always a feel good thing for me to do, I was happy with my 3 classes a week, I love my participants and I will continue to be in contact with them, regardless of how this all works out and they know that.

What this all does mean is that I can go out on Saturday morning rides with hubbies cycling club  Just trying to keep positive about it all, life is too short to harbor needless resentment.
2010-06-10 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2913549

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2010-06-10 10:39 AM

We have had a rough week at our house.  Logan decided to finally climb out of his crib Monday night and fell on his head.  He is fine.  He sobbed, snuggled on the couch with John for 10 minutes and then hit the ground running.  I was starting to paint Joey's room that night so I did more than planned so I could keep an eye on Logan for a few hours before I went to sleep.  Tuesday evening I was having some issues with Joe, Logan was scared of his crib, and then John and I argued.  I ended up going to bed early with no bike ride or painting done.  Last night i got a quick run in and then went back to painting Joey's room.  I must have been crazy picking a dark blue for the bottom third of his walls.  I painted a dark gray primer and three coats of paint last night and will paint a 4th coat tonight.  There goes my long run tonight!  I am hoping for 5 tonight on the treadmill and 5 tomorrow during the day.  I should be able to get it done during lunch and then take a quick shower at my parent's house. 

Next week is going to be busy too.  John is working late Sunday, Monday, Thursday and Friday.  So it means I am stuck on the treadmill or getting up at the crack of dawn to do something.  Gotta plan next week out!

Glad to hear Logan is okay after his fall and sorry to hear you are having a rough week.  Looks like you have a lot to juggle with work, painting and 2 kids.  And I hear you on the dark blue, our daughter wanted Yellow on what was a dark blue bedroom(from previous owners)  I don't know how many coats we did but I'm sure the room was smaller when we were done!
2010-06-10 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2913529

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
tmoran80 - 2010-06-10 10:34 AM Well that sucks - what an a-hole.  Has there been problems in the past with people leaving and taking clients?  That takes guts to not sign that so I guess good for you for having the conviction.  Maybe you could start your own class with your his clients.  Seems like you have a pretty loyal following?  Plus stick it to him for being an a-hole!!!

I have not seen any of the instructors for this location going off and taking clients, and I've been around it a few years.  This is his own paranoia I think.  My former boss, who is also the franchisee of the entire bootcamp, even called me to warn me that he was intent on doing this and that she had warned him that it was a big mistake, I couldn't be bullied and the reason my class is well attended is because of me and that if I go, they will go too and since they were there to hear him say all this to me last night, they confirmed that to me. 

They would prefer that I continue to do classes for them, if I leave, but  I don't want to start a business on the side, and I've suggested that we just start our own exercise club and we can do more than just bootcamp classes and include running, hiking and biking activities.
2010-06-10 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2913576

User image

Expert
South Jersey
corstan - 2010-06-10 12:49 PM
Mrschach - 2010-06-10 10:39 AM

Glad to hear Logan is okay after his fall and sorry to hear you are having a rough week.  Looks like you have a lot to juggle with work, painting and 2 kids.  And I hear you on the dark blue, our daughter wanted Yellow on what was a dark blue bedroom(from previous owners)  I don't know how many coats we did but I'm sure the room was smaller when we were done!

It will be done tonight!  I told John I am not doing any more painting this year!  Since April 15th, I have painted 3 bathrooms and repainted Joe's room.  I am done!!

On an excited note, we signed Joe up for karate last night! 

2010-06-10 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Sandra, that is really sad to hear.  Sad that the "boss" is acting that way, especially since he was in the business.  You never know how people will respond when given positions of power.  I am sorry that you are having to go through the stress of all that, but from my point of view it looks like you made the right choice.  That must've been tough.  But now you will have the time to try and do other things.  Hope your people are ok and don't get lost in the "regular" group. 

Meggan, sorry to hear about your boy getting out of the crib.  That must've been very stressful and glad to hear he is ok.  We've also done quite a bit of painting but have never had to do more than 2 coats.  Even then it is very tiring and I can usually barely lift my arms up the next day!  Hope you are able to squeeze those runs in...it will make you feel better and relieve some of the stress. 

I learned a good lesson from you all today.  Everyone has things going on in their lives and it is how we react to them that defines who we are.  If we stay positive and push through it makes us better in the end.   And more power to the people that deal with all this but continue to work out and train.  Most of the people in the world would love to have our energy and drive to train, so just know that you are all inspirations to me and to others out there.  Keep up the good work.  **sorry if that was sappy!** Innocent
2010-06-10 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2913661

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
chichitao - 2010-06-10 11:14 AM Sandra, that is really sad to hear.  Sad that the "boss" is acting that way, especially since he was in the business.  You never know how people will respond when given positions of power.  I am sorry that you are having to go through the stress of all that, but from my point of view it looks like you made the right choice.  That must've been tough.  But now you will have the time to try and do other things.  Hope your people are ok and don't get lost in the "regular" group. 

Meggan, sorry to hear about your boy getting out of the crib.  That must've been very stressful and glad to hear he is ok.  We've also done quite a bit of painting but have never had to do more than 2 coats.  Even then it is very tiring and I can usually barely lift my arms up the next day!  Hope you are able to squeeze those runs in...it will make you feel better and relieve some of the stress. 

I learned a good lesson from you all today.  Everyone has things going on in their lives and it is how we react to them that defines who we are.  If we stay positive and push through it makes us better in the end.   And more power to the people that deal with all this but continue to work out and train.  Most of the people in the world would love to have our energy and drive to train, so just know that you are all inspirations to me and to others out there.  Keep up the good work.  **sorry if that was sappy!** Innocent

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside, thanks for that Tim,  I like it sappy sometimes
2010-06-10 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2913661

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Wow, I leave for 1 hour for a French lesson, and the entire world gets turned around!  

Sandra, that sounds like an absolutely terrible position to be in.  A real leader and a proper boss would recognize what he has in his employees, and the clients' loyalty toward certain instructors/leaders, and would try to harbour and encourage that instructor.  That soudns like poor management, if you ask me.  But it sounds like you are at least at ease, if not happy, with your decision.  It's too bad, because you enjoyed it so much, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the cycling club just as much!

Meggan, that is very scary to hear about your son.  I'm glad that he's ok; it really is amazing how resilient kids are.  Much moreso than their adult counterparts, if you ask me!  I'm sure he'll still be spooked by the crib for a bit, but he'll manage  Smile

Tim, that was pretty sappy, I'm not gonna lie.  It's sappy, but oh so true.  There are millions of people out there (many members of my family included) who wish they had the motivation to do what we do, no matter what life throws at us.  It's great to finally have surrounded myself, for the first time in my life, with people who keep active, and plan on doing so, and adapt what they are doing so that they can.   You guys are definitely a huge inspiration to me, and you keep me going, as well.  

On a much more sad note, a friend of a friend was tragically killed yesterday in a cycling accident.  My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family, and it's just one more reminder to be careful when you are out there, you never know what is going to happen.  You can only control what you do on your bike, not what others do.  Please, please, please ride defensively!  

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/785687

2010-06-10 8:51 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
OK, wow, I have a LOT to say! (as always)

Peter - I am so sorry to hear about your friend!  It's so heartbreaking to read about someone dying from doing something they love.  My condolences to you and his family.

Sandra - I'm only a second year law student, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal for him to ask you to sign a non-compete contract for ALL of Canada.  Of course, laws there might be different, but I was taught that no-compete clauses can ONLY be for a reasonable time and in a reasonable area (like a state or metropolitan area).  An entire country is unreasonable.  I know you don't seem super concerned about it, but it might be worth asking a lawyer friend about it if you don't want to quit.  Either way, it's his loss! 

Debbie - Congrats to your sister!  I wish I could give you advice, but I have no clue what to do when kids/babies are involved.  The idea of having a child actually scares me to death!  I think it's a good idea to do the half either way, because it still gives you something to work towards.

Meggan - I LOVE PAINTING!  My mom refuses to have a professional paint their house, she just pays me like $50 to go down there and do it myself.  I'm not bad, either.  If I'm in your area ever and you have something to get painted, I'll come do it for you guys!  I'm glad the boys are doing well, they always bounce back at that age. 

That was a lot!  Now, on to me!  I haven't gotten in all my workouts this week because my life has been just insane!  We FINALLY found an apartment up in West Bend that will let us bring Nadie, and is actually fit for a young married couple!  I'm still going to miss Milwaukee so much though.  I don't want to live in a small town!  Luckily, the place is right on a conservancy, so there's trails and whatnot to hike for us, so I guess I'm okay with it.  We can't move in until July 1 though.  But we've had to start packing and everything, which is getting frustrating because the apartment complex wants to show our place while we're trying to pack, so we have to keep it super clean even though we're moving!  Oh what fun!

So then, I got a call Tuesday night from a law firm in Milwaukee that wanted me to interview Wednesday morning.  WELL, I had already promised Ryan that I'd bake cookies for his ENTIRE WORKPLACE since today was his last day there.  I literally spent the entire day either baking or doing something related to the interview.  I think it went well though!  I'll find out soon.

Lots of other little things have been happening (like I found out I'm going to have a new niece in October!), but I'm trying not to make excuses.  Since the World Cup (!!!) starts tomorrow, I'm planning on spinning during the games as much as I can, and I want to run the next couple days too.  Ryan made the comment today that I actually LOOK like a runner now, which is a huge compliment to me!  I'm loving working out more than ever, so don't let me stop!

*phew* Post is over now.  Happy Thursday!
2010-06-11 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
What does everyone have planned for the weekend?  We are heading an hour north tonight to see a bunch of friends without the kids!!!  We will head to the shore tomorrow where they will already be.  I contemplated hitting the hotel's gym in the morning but I think I could use a morning without a 6:15 "MOMMY!!!" wakeup call!!

Hoping for a run on Sunday before John heads to work at 2.

Hope you guys have a great weekend.  Anyone racing?

2010-06-11 2:59 PM

User image

Regular
I have a race tomorrow :D  And then odds and eds like getting the oil in my car changed, laundry, grocery shopping etc.. ;D

I am also doing Ragnar next weekend, so I am hoping to get at least an 8 mile run in this weekend. :D

2010-06-11 3:05 PM
in reply to: #2913718

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Pete, Really sorry to hear about your friend, my deepest heartfelt condolences to you

Erica, congrats on finding a place to live and good luck with the interview.  Living in the burbs is an adjustments, but there are definate benefits as well.

Meggan, I'm not up to anything grand this weekend. Maybe teaching my last bootcamp, going out to lunch on Saturday with a friend from back east who is in town and going to try a slow 7km on Sunday(MT thinks I'm good to go, I'm keeping my fingers crossed)

Courtney, have a great weekend and good luck on your race, we expect to hear all about it!

Edited by corstan 2010-06-11 3:16 PM
2010-06-12 11:14 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
FARTHEST RUN EVER TODAY!!!  So, I decided to run on the treadmill today since the WORLD CUP is on, and I just don't miss anything during the World Cup.  I started running a couple minutes into the 2nd half of the Argentina-Nigeria game, and didn't even notice the time until the half was over!  37 minutes!  Then, I decided just to run for another 3 minutes to even it out to 40 minutes.  I ran over FOUR MILES!  I don't know exactly how far, since I pulled the magnetic thing on accident after the game was over, but I'm super pumped about it!  I wasn't panting really hard, my heartrate was still really low, and I wasn't uncomfortable at all.  I guess I have to always watch soccer while I run now!

So then I got back to the apartment to tell Ryan that I ran farther than him today, because that NEVER happens (he's on a rest week and only ran like 3.8 miles today), and he was like "well, the treadmill isn't very accurate on distance.  It doesn't make you a better runner outside, only a better runner ON A TREADMILL." 

Is that true?  Cuz it really upset me!
2010-06-12 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2917384

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
SoccerGK - 2010-06-12 9:14 AM FARTHEST RUN EVER TODAY!!!  So, I decided to run on the treadmill today since the WORLD CUP is on, and I just don't miss anything during the World Cup.  I started running a couple minutes into the 2nd half of the Argentina-Nigeria game, and didn't even notice the time until the half was over!  37 minutes!  Then, I decided just to run for another 3 minutes to even it out to 40 minutes.  I ran over FOUR MILES!  I don't know exactly how far, since I pulled the magnetic thing on accident after the game was over, but I'm super pumped about it!  I wasn't panting really hard, my heartrate was still really low, and I wasn't uncomfortable at all.  I guess I have to always watch soccer while I run now!

So then I got back to the apartment to tell Ryan that I ran farther than him today, because that NEVER happens (he's on a rest week and only ran like 3.8 miles today), and he was like "well, the treadmill isn't very accurate on distance.  It doesn't make you a better runner outside, only a better runner ON A TREADMILL." 

Is that true?  Cuz it really upset me!

What a crappy thing for him to say, feel good about your effort and distance and I have not heard that treadmills are inaccurate, I'm fairly sure they are more accurate than my garmin, which can drop sattelites. 

Treadmill running is however a completely different beast than road running.  you can't really compare the two for various reasons, such as impact to the body, on the road your speed varies a lot, on the treadmill you tend to put it on a speed and stick to it, you can't really do a sprint, you can only go uphill on a treadmill.  So depending on the route taken by the road runner, the effort could be greater or less than a treadmill run.  Like I said no comparison. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103