BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-01-19 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3308545

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
By the time the gels are actually be consumed by your body it is probably too late if you have not properly filled your reserves before the workout.  Kind of like going on a long car trip on a 1/4 tank of gas.  You will get started and you could stop at a gas station every once in a while and put in $1 but eventually your gonna run out of gas because you didn't fill up before you left -haha

gabrelsj - 2011-01-19 9:36 AM
IceManScott - 2011-01-19 9:07 AM  
yeh- i am still playing with what i can eat and when before a workout.  i am very happy to say that i have used gels twice for longer runs adn have not had any problmes with my stomach.  i drank a good bit of water with them.  i hate to say that bc my next gel might kill my stomach but alittle progress is great!

2011-01-19 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3308695

User image

Veteran
tmoran80 - 2011-01-19 10:20 AM
I think that looks great - the only thing I would suggest is that it looks like you do afternoon workouts?  Similiar to what Dave siad, I am wondering if you need to eat more at lunch.  Particularly more carbs.  You are getting the protein with the chicken breast but thinking you might need more than the Lean Cuisine.  How about a bagel with Peanut Butter or maybe just a sports drink before your workout?  Also didn't see much fruit on there -lol.  The 2-3 hours beofre your workout and the 1 hour after are your most critical.

I workout in the early am so my typical daily diet is:

4:30/5:00AM - Wake up and eat 1/4 cup raisins, toast and glass of pomegranet juice prior to workout

7:00 AM - Whole grain cereal (Grapenuts, kashi, etc), banana or apple, orange juice, vitamins & coffee

10:00AM - bagel with peanut butter or 2 whole grain waffles with light maple syrup - I will also try and eat some other type of fruit during the morning

12:00PM - Subway -  I get a 12" and eat 6" at lunch - Wheat bread and either Chicken breast or turkey with veggies and Subway apples.

3:00PM - I eat the other 6" sub

6:00PM - Dinner usually with some type of chicken either breast or ground and and with veggies, milk , Romaine/spinach garden salad or some type of pasta.  This is usually my biggest meal of the day.

8:00PM - 10:00PM - I will try and snack on some dried apricots,almonds, toast and Peanut butter, etc and have another glass of pomegranite juice to try and fill the rest of my calorie/carb  for the day.
gabrelsj - 2011-01-19 8:21 AM
razorxp - 2011-01-18 7:57 PM KCmy basic diet is...

breakfast:
3eggs w/cheese
two lowfat poptarts
small bowl oatmeal

midmorning snack:
pbj sandwich

lunch:
lean cuisine meal
chicken breast

after training:
protein bar
recovery drink

dinner:
chicken
rice
veggie

before bed:
bowl of cereal or oatmeal

i also snack on peanuts during day.  i drink about a half gallon of milk per day.

any thoughts???

tim- that is a clean diet. i like to see what other people eat to get ideas.  i have to admit that i have never been a fan of fruit.  i will start to add some to me diet and force myself to eat. 

i swim in morning and try to run or bike during lunch.  on days that i swim i can NOT get full.  i eat all day long. 

i would like to see what others eat to get more ideas.
2011-01-19 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
This is a good discussion on nutrition.  I think we as triathletes do underestimate how much fuel we need.  We all want to lose weight or stay lean so we short ourselves on the calories thinking we're doing ourselves some good but we end up crashing because we don't have enough energy and then eating everything in sight.  I would recommend, if you haven't done it before, tracking your calories in/out for a couple weeks.  I use myfitnesspal.com because it's free and they have an Iphone/Ipod app.  If you use something to estimate your daily caloric need, try taking your daily calorie estimate and dividing the number by however many times you plan to eat.  We all have different schedules so it could be anywhere between 5-8.  As you go through the day and you know how many calories you've consumed/used, keep dividing out that number by however many more meals/snack you have that day.  When you do this, you're going to keep your blood sugar levels more even (assuming your snacks aren't candy bars) which will keep you from binge eating later.  It will also keep you feeling full throughout the day.

Sorry if this is a bunch of stuff you all already know but I know with me, I have a tendency to eat a smaller breakfast and lunch then I workout.  That leaves me starving at dinner so I eat a big dinner and then snack till I go to sleep which isn't good.  It's made a world of difference leveling out my food intake.  That's my two cents.
2011-01-19 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
If you didn't check out this video BT posted a few days ago, I'd recommend it.  It's got some good info in it.

Lean for a Lifetime: The 10 Commandments
2011-01-19 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3309017

User image

Veteran
cspreiter - 2011-01-19 12:03 PM This is a good discussion on nutrition.  I think we as triathletes do underestimate how much fuel we need.  We all want to lose weight or stay lean so we short ourselves on the calories thinking we're doing ourselves some good but we end up crashing because we don't have enough energy and then eating everything in sight.  I would recommend, if you haven't done it before, tracking your calories in/out for a couple weeks.  I use myfitnesspal.com because it's free and they have an Iphone/Ipod app.  If you use something to estimate your daily caloric need, try taking your daily calorie estimate and dividing the number by however many times you plan to eat.  We all have different schedules so it could be anywhere between 5-8.  As you go through the day and you know how many calories you've consumed/used, keep dividing out that number by however many more meals/snack you have that day.  When you do this, you're going to keep your blood sugar levels more even (assuming your snacks aren't candy bars) which will keep you from binge eating later.  It will also keep you feeling full throughout the day.

Sorry if this is a bunch of stuff you all already know but I know with me, I have a tendency to eat a smaller breakfast and lunch then I workout.  That leaves me starving at dinner so I eat a big dinner and then snack till I go to sleep which isn't good.  It's made a world of difference leveling out my food intake.  That's my two cents.

good points.  i know with me i eat/snack all day long.  i should start keeping track to see where i am nutrition wise.  i feel like i am addicted to sugar bc when i cut back i get moody and hungry.
2011-01-19 1:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Mass.

This question is for the bike gurus.  I am looking at two bikes, but have no idea what the difference between the derailer brands and how good one shifter is compared to the other.  I am looking at two bikes, wich one would you get.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/mirage_pro_x.htm
or this one
http://www.roadbikeoutlet.com/tri-bikes/gavin-nouvo-triathlon-road-racing-bicycle-shimano-sora-carbon-fork.html

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2011-01-19 4:00 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Keith I know tri bike components but I am not very knowledgeable on road bike equipment, Scott might be your best bet.  I will look around and see if there is a chart breaking out the levels of components. 
2011-01-19 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3309606

User image

Veteran
Mass.
razorxp - 2011-01-19 5:00 PM Keith I know tri bike components but I am not very knowledgeable on road bike equipment, Scott might be your best bet.  I will look around and see if there is a chart breaking out the levels of components. 

Are the tri bike components good though? 
2011-01-19 6:06 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hope everyone had a nice day. Busy one for me but I managed a swim and some weights.

Wish I could help with the bike components thing but I have no idea, sorry. As far as nutrition is concerned, I try to eat several times a day but don't always get it right and life gets in the way sometimes.

I know I have to get better at it and I promise I will try.

Have a great night everyone.

KC

2011-01-19 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3309829

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
kdevarenne - 2011-01-19 7:04 PM
razorxp - 2011-01-19 5:00 PM Keith I know tri bike components but I am not very knowledgeable on road bike equipment, Scott might be your best bet.  I will look around and see if there is a chart breaking out the levels of components. 

Are the tri bike components good though? 

Hi Keith, that bike is actually a road bike (road geometry vrs tri) with shifters in the brakes instead of on the areo bars.  So I'll keep looking for something on those components.
2011-01-19 8:53 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Found this site may help:

http://www.epinions.com/content_957259908

Looks like rank is

Soro
Tiagra
Ultegra
DA
now the electronic ones

So if this website is credible I would say they are entry level on this bike.  Personally cannot tell the difference between 105 and DA.  My race bike is DA and shifts just like my other bike with Ultegra/105.  Might be a few ounces lighter but not worth the extra $500.   Hope this helps!!

Good luck on the new ride.

2011-01-19 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

I actually have no idea how many calories I need to refuel. I use an online calorie counter / estimator but that is aimed at me losing weight, not at training purposes. I think this may not be the best way to do it, but I feel like I don't do enough to warrant upping my calories. My current range is 1,200 - 1,550 but I frequently go over it and into the 1,800 range but then I panic and freak out about weight gain. 

Breakfast - steel cut oats/ banana/blueberries/strawberries and 1tbsp walnuts. - 400 cals 

Lunch - 13 bean turkey chilli & 1.5 cup spinach - 300 cals

Dinner - Chicken breast/ brown rice and spinach 450 cals

Extra's  15 Almonds - 100 cals
             Protein shake with skim milk - 240 cals.

Total (In theory) 1,490

problem is I frequently want, and have, more. I feel like this should be enough.

I have tried the eating many smaller meals a day and I was starving. As soon as I had eaten I was thinking about how long til I could eat again.

Any thoughts? suggestions? alterations?

2011-01-19 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3310133

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-19 10:04 PM
I actually have no idea how many calories I need to refuel. I use an online calorie counter / estimator but that is aimed at me losing weight, not at training purposes. I think this may not be the best way to do it, but I feel like I don't do enough to warrant upping my calories. My current range is 1,200 - 1,550 but I frequently go over it and into the 1,800 range but then I panic and freak out about weight gain. 

Breakfast - steel cut oats/ banana/blueberries/strawberries and 1tbsp walnuts. - 400 cals 

Total (In theory) 1,490

problem is I frequently want, and have, more. I feel like this should be enough.

I have tried the eating many smaller meals a day and I was starving. As soon as I had eaten I was thinking about how long til I could eat again.

Hey Deb. Wish I could help you on this but I just don't know enough. I am sure someone else in the group will help you out. I can tell you this though - from first glance it just does not seem like enough to give you what you need for working out as well as just getting through the day. I know that probably does not help - sorry. The 13 bean turkey chilli sounds great - where do I get some? Smile
KC
2011-01-19 9:14 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Right now I am at 2200 per day since I'm in weight loss mode. Once full training in summer I bump up to around 5k or more depending on the day.  Ill post my diet tomorrow at work. Will give an Idea of what a nutritionist recommends.
2011-01-19 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3310144

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
kcgolf - 2011-01-19 10:14 PM
I

Hey Deb. Wish I could help you on this but I just don't know enough. I am sure someone else in the group will help you out. I can tell you this though - from first glance it just does not seem like enough to give you what you need for working out as well as just getting through the day. I know that probably does not help - sorry. The 13 bean turkey chilli sounds great - where do I get some? Smile
KC

It's super easy ....

1.3 lbs ground turkey
1 Green bell pepper
1 Onion
2 Tbsp Chilli powder
1.5 cups 'Bob's red mill 13 bean mix' (13 different types of beans & lentils mmm)
1 28oz can  crushed tomatoes  (I like the ones with no salt or yuck added)
2 Serrano peppers

The only down side is the beans take ages to soak/cook, but its delicious and high protein - 18.2 gms -  and almost 7 gms of fiber, per cup.  Smile
2011-01-19 10:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
In the past, when I was much more focused about my intake than I am now (shame on me) I used http://www.fitday.com.  It was pretty easy to use and free as well.  They have a mobile app as well for iPhone/iPod.    I can't speak to how it compares to other sites proposed however.

After I squeezed in my run, it was time for turkey chili.  I'm sure it would have been really good for me except for the honey and molasses that I added to the recipe...

2011-01-19 11:12 PM
in reply to: #3309322

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
kdevarenne - 2011-01-19 1:53 PM

This question is for the bike gurus.  I am looking at two bikes, but have no idea what the difference between the derailer brands and how good one shifter is compared to the other.  I am looking at two bikes, wich one would you get.
or this one
http://www.roadbikeoutlet.com/tri-bikes/gavin-nouvo-triathlon-road-racing-bicycle-shimano-sora-carbon-fork.html

As far as road bike components go, I'd try to at least get the Tiagra group.  Tiagra has the integrated brake shifters which is nice.  At the time I got my bike, Sora components only had the thumb shifters.  I don't know if that has changed or not but if it hasn't then it's worth the upgrade IMO.
2011-01-19 11:27 PM
in reply to: #3310133

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-19 9:04 PM

Total (In theory) 1,490

If you're calorie counter is suggesting a range of 1,200-1,550 without taking into account your training then you're body is probably starving and that's why it wants more food even though in your mind you think otherwise.  Say for instance your body needs 1,200 just to maintain your current weight.  If you go for a 30+min easy run, you're going to be burning ~300+ calories plus after you're finished, your metabolism stays elevated so you continue to burn more calories than normal.  If you do two workouts a day, you're looking at close to a 1,000 calorie deficit.  I'm obviously having to making broad estimates here but you get the idea.  Sometimes we don't realize how many calories we're using up with all the exercise we do.

If your calorie counter doesn't allow you to add in exercise, I'd recommend finding a different one just so you can get a better picture of how many calories you're taking in and using for exercise.  Do you gain weight when you hit 1,800 calories?
2011-01-20 6:34 AM
in reply to: #3310177

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-19 10:30 PM
kcgolf - 2011-01-19 10:14 PM
I

KC

It's super easy ....

1.3 lbs ground turkey
1 Green bell pepper
1 Onion
2 Tbsp Chilli powder
1.5 cups 'Bob's red mill 13 bean mix' (13 different types of beans & lentils mmm)
1 28oz can  crushed tomatoes  (I like the ones with no salt or yuck added)
2 Serrano peppers

The only down side is the beans take ages to soak/cook, but its delicious and high protein - 18.2 gms -  and almost 7 gms of fiber, per cup.  Smile

Awesome - thanks.
KC
2011-01-20 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3309322

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kdevarenne - 2011-01-19 1:53 PM

or this one

It depends on your budget.  Sora is entry level stuff.  I test rode a bike once and they shifted fine.  Problem I see is there is an awful lot of plastic in them.  Unsure about how long they will hold up under serious use.  If money is an issue, then by all means get the sora shifters.  Both of those bikes will do you as entry level.  In my experience, Shimano 105s or SRAM Rival are the best entry level components.  They hold up really well.  As you go up from there, Shimano Ultegra and Dura Ace have little performance difference.  Dura Ace is a little lighter (most won't notice) and they are shiner but certainly not worth the money.  I've read SRAM Force is not very different from Rival, which I have and love on my TT bike. Then the top is Red.  Many folks say there is a difference in performance between Rival and Red, which again is lighter.  I have a Mix of Rival and Red.  Love the Red brakes.  I will be adding Red compact cranks which I have in the box. 

So my advice is figure your budget.  Then buy the best components and frame THAT FITS.  You can always upgrade components later when you have extra cash.  

As far as brand names, I have Trek, Le Mond, Giant and Orbea.  Love them all.  Specialized, Cervelo, Felt, Blue...all make great bikes.  There are others too.  For road and TT entry level bikes Trek, Giant, Specialized and Cervelo are the bikes I see the most.   Ride lots of bikes before you buy.  Make sure the fit is right.  Love your bike.

2011-01-20 8:28 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Keith, Do you have a set budget? if so let us know and 24 eyes looking for a good deal is better than 2.  Also are you opposed to used bikes?  If not you can get a great bike for much cheaper.  What size are you? Have you ridden any of the bikes your looking at?

Good luck

That chili sounds great.

Edited by razorxp 2011-01-20 8:29 AM

2011-01-20 8:38 AM

User image

Veteran

does riding a bike on a trainer give you as good of a workout as riding outdoors?  it is so easy to hop on bike on trainer and ride at home but if it is better to hit the road i will.

2011-01-20 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3310660

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
gabrelsj - 2011-01-20 8:38 AM

does riding a bike on a trainer give you as good of a workout as riding outdoors?  it is so easy to hop on bike on trainer and ride at home but if it is better to hit the road i will.

There are those who think, me among them, that trainers are better workouts than riding outdoors.  You can control your power, your HR better...Better efficiency.   Going outdoors is fun, good rehearsal ...but outside you have to deal with conditions, traffic.

2011-01-20 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3310748

User image

Veteran
IceManScott - 2011-01-20 9:05 AM

There are those who think, me among them, that trainers are better workouts than riding outdoors.  You can control your power, your HR better...Better efficiency.   Going outdoors is fun, good rehearsal ...but outside you have to deal with conditions, traffic.

thanks.
2011-01-20 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3310748

User image

Veteran
IceManScott - 2011-01-20 9:05 AM

thanks. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76