BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-05-14 2:20 AM
in reply to: #3498261

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED

Well I didn't finish the homework but I had a great swim. 250m total for the workout. 2 laps proper swimming. 4 sets of breathing (as per Sara's "ultra beginner workout") in the deep end - there was a woman watching her kids from a chair at the shallow end and I didn't really want to do the breathing in front of her - weird since I've done it in the lane next to "serious swimmers" the last 2 times - maybe it's because I knew they weren't really bothered about me, lol. Then another lap back to the shallow end, get out the pool to grab a kick board. 4 sets of kick drills, trying to keep the breathing consistent (stroking when I had to breath) not so good (kept having to tell myself to put my head down again.) Ended up stopping a couple of times and threw in a little back stroke on one lap. Felt exceedingly slow - I wasn't even sure I was moving at times. Then 4 sets of catch-up drills. Experimented with the breathing and found for some reason I'm better breathing on the right so decided to stay with the "breath every 2 strokes" technique. Still had to remind myself to put my head back in the water a few times but only stopped when I really had to - swallowed water and started coughing badly. Actually got asked by the lifeguards if I was ok, lol.

Few things I thought today:

1. My goggles need upgrading - I went with the cheapest adult pair they had - only them and 1 other pair (out of 3) felt any good - because I think they're leaking. Either that or I'm not wearing them properly - didn't help that I tried to take them off (stick them on top of my head while I rest so I can see the timer) as I thought I'd put them on upside down and they actually fell in the pool, lol.

2. I need to leard how to do breastroke again so I can go further under water. Not sure if it's just me or it's common to "shorties" (I'm about 5'2") but I can't seem to jump high enough out of the shallow end to exit by sitting on the edge (think reverse slide-entry) so I have to cross lanes (first lane is usually a larger lane for lessons or mucking around ie they had a big inflatable toy thing in it today that you climb over before jumping in the water about maybe 10-15m from the edge) to get to the ladder so I can get out and I kept catching my legs on the lane rope.

3. I really need to work out a way to easily get out of my swim suit. I ended up taking my old one (not that old but it's not the new one, lol) as it was in the bag from my abandoned post race beach trip and forgot to raid the ribbon beforehand (mum used to sell haberdashery at markets so we have a heap of the stuff) and it really hurts my shoulders trying to get in/out of the thing. As an idea to what it looks like it's basically a wet suit withough the arms or legs but in swimsuit material.

On a scary note - today's workout equaled my ytd swim distance.

Not sure what I'm doing tomorrow - I may try a bike ride or walk or just rest. I need to get the bike seen to (it's making weird noises that I think are something to do with suspension saying "you're too heavy for me" or just needs a general oiling or something but it'll have to wait at least another week as I have no money left, lol.

Now I need to find my class notes so I can finish my assignment.    

2011-05-14 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Great job, suzi!

I went out for a ride this AM, hoping to do 30 miles, and manged 3. Hit a pot hole, flatted my back tire, and while looking back to check out the flat, I hit a sand patch, and wiped out. Just a great way to start the day. Landed *hard* on my right hip/butt and it sore as heck right now, but I'll live.  What made all is worse is I had zero cell reception where I was wondering how I'd get home, other than walking. Then I was fortunate to have a police car drive by. He stopped, and ended up giving me a ride home. Forgot my helmet, so I had to drive back to the wreck site to get it. I also had the speed/cadence sensor on the back fall off, so I need to fix that as well.

So, seeing how biking wasn't in the cards, I did a 1.7 mile run/walk as part of my foot rehab. All went well, and I gave up on the 'walk' part for the last .6 mile. Running feels fine, but my run fitness is total garbage, and I need to build it back up. 

Have a great day everyone. I'm off to the bike shop for some tubes...

2011-05-14 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3498603

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Hey Mike as long as your bike shorts weren't on inside out, at least it wasn't all bad.  Sorry to hear about the crash, but glad to hear you're pretty much OK.  Any damage to your bike?
2011-05-14 4:14 PM

Hey everyone-

Looks like everyone is getting some good work outs in. My race is 22 days away, and I've hit some set backs, but things are looking up. I got my allergies under control. My sinus infection is under control, and my back is feeling pretty good. I switched pools, the pool I was going to kept changing the lap swim times. I missed a couple days that way. I got ride in yesterday, but had to pull the kids so it made it much more difficult but we had fun.  I have to stop a lot because they tend to fight alot when they are in such close quaters. Plan on a long swim tomorrow, and atleast a 3 mile run.  I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Tracie

2011-05-14 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3498882

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

croixfan - 2011-05-14 1:03 PM Hey Mike as long as your bike shorts weren't on inside out, at least it wasn't all bad.  Sorry to hear about the crash, but glad to hear you're pretty much OK.  Any damage to your bike?

No wardrobe malfunctions, thankfully . It appears the flat is as bad as it may get. I just bought a new tube, and will now learn the fine art of changing a tire. So the whole mess is realy just an opportunity for me to learn bike maintenance .

Swim lesson tomorrow AM.

2011-05-14 5:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Woke up this AM feeling totally zapped and really under the weather -- which sucks by the way after a beautiful start to the week.  A three hour pre-lunch nap helped immensely and I felt great afterwards.  Headed to the pool with a promise -- again -- to do 1000 yards non-stop.  This time I actually made it.  Time was 26:07 (2:25, 2:39, 2:41, 2:42, 2:42, 2:34, 2:35, 2:40, 2:36, 2:29).  Just checked my previous PR and found it was 27:43 back on 21 April!!!  While I feel like I have tons of room for improvement, seeing the numbers drop is definitely encouraging.  After the 1000, did 4 x 100 with first 50 being kicking, second being breast stroke.  Closed with a 100 at a moderate pace / pulled it off at 2:18.  First tri is two weeks from today and I'm feeling very well prepared. 

May try and fit in a run today and/or tomorrow + a swim session tomorrow as well.

Hope everyone else is enjoying their weekend.

2011-05-14 7:56 PM

Extreme Veteran

Mike - Sorry about the crash. Good work on the run. How's the hib/butt feeling?

Tracie - sorry about the lap swim times. Great job on the bike ride - just think of "pulling the kids" as extra strength training. Have fun with the long swim tomorrow. Good luck with the race - what distance is it?

Mike - Yay for seeing the "silver lining" in the bad stuff. I'm the same with changing tires - I usually get Dad or Bro to do it. - Haven't had any on this one yet (haven't ridden it enough, lol) but that's what I used to do when I was a kid (include in HS here, lol.) The first bit of "bike maintenance" I ever actually did was adjusting the seat on my current bike, lol

Curt - Great job on the swim workout. Can I steal the breastroke drill? I need to re-learn it, lol.

Me - I'm going to finish my Autism assignment before I do anything but I may head out for a walk this afternoon. I was thinking bike-ride but my ventolin just ran out (not sure I have another one) and the biking seems to be the thing that stuffs my breathing up the most.

I've also decided that I'm going to try this workout next time I hit the pool (hopefully next week if I have any money left, lol) http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=528 The 400m endurance one - not sure what to do with the "pull" drill though as I don't have access to a buoy - could I do it with just a kickboard instead? or swap it for some other sort of drill like kicking or catch-up?

2011-05-14 11:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

After last night's great bike adventure, I was feeling pretty good--I had planned on getting a small run in tonight too. Well that didn't happen...I ended up dealing with a raw spot on the ball of my left foot ( a piece of skin ripped off, leaving an open, VERY sore spot--right where the foot hits the ground!), and then I managed to torque my right oblique ( and possibly lat too) muscle while lifting/moving 60#+ rocks in an exhibit I was building at work....Its not too bad, so I'm ice-ing and medicating...Not good timing--My first race is exactly 1 week from tomorrow!

Oh well, thankfully, I heal quickly--I still plan on getting an easy swim in tomorrow night--and that exhibit's done--it'll be a nice easy day at work tomorrow!

2011-05-15 1:00 AM
in reply to: #3499540

Extreme Veteran

Kate - hope things heal up soon. Good work on the biking adventure. I'm sure you'll be fine on race day. Doing the "least impact" sport tomorrow is probably a good way to let yourself heal up from the ST you did at work today.

Me - I'm trying to find a bike training schedule I can actually follow - want to be more consistent when it's actually been looked at - and I'm thinking of stealing the bike portion of Micheal Pate's 22wk sprint program - I'll see how I go with week 1 and then decide though - it'll either be that or something based on the Galloway conditioning plan run build up. I've also decided to add a day of running in to my current walking program (probably use the galloway program for now) but if that goes well I may swap one of the walk days to a short run or a walk - walk/run - walk tempo style thing. I'll see how everything goes next week and then decide. This week has basically been a cutback/recovery week and I don't really have anything that I'm knowingly training for (BFF and her Mum have some ideas on races they want to do but haven't informed of dates, etc) until October with a possible mini-tri in November if I can ever find any decent details about it, lol.  

2011-05-15 10:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Good news--My foot feels much better today--a little achy, but only because I had been compensating for the sore spot--my back is also much improved--I am still following through with doing as little strenuous stuff at work today, and I am planning on hitting the pool tonight, just for a little bit of drill work and some laps--Not at race pace, but more just to really get a 'feeling' of how I can keep a decent rhythm going....

One week til Auburn!!! (can you tell I'm a looking forward to it???Laughing

2011-05-15 4:13 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

OK, who raced this weekend?!?!! Reports, please!

I had a swim lesson today and had a couple of "a-HA!!!" moments. My coach/instructor said things were looking quite good, and he had a few nit picks, but thats about it. Then he completely kicked my butt by having me swim all kinds of intervals, short & long, and left we a pathetic lump on the wall of the pool. He later confessed this was his intention all along to see how my stroke holds up as I get tired swimming. Turns out it was a mixed bag, but very promising. Worked on extending my stroke much of the time, and getting into a rhythm. He also had me bilaterally breathe every time I swam, and that was a challenge as I have never really done this much in the past. Speed wise, I shocked myself a few times by pulling off what I consider crazy times (for me) on 50 yd sets. Several times I was able to maintain a 1:16/100 pace on these. Funny part was, it didn't seem to be any more effort, just concentrating on a smooth stroke, and extending the glide of each. Had I been doing a "golf" score, I would have come in around 70 on just about all of them.

Still haven't fixed my flat, but likely will later. No pain today from yesterday's incident. Tomorrow AM will be some running, bike & run on Tuesday, and Wednesday back in the pool.

2011-05-15 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3499829

Extreme Veteran

Kate - glad your foot and back feel better. You'll rock that race

Mike - WTG on the swim lesson. Sounds like you finally found something that made you "cry uncle", lol. Definitely sounds like you're improving

Me - I'm either swimming or running today. I was leaning toward the swim most of yesterday but now I'm thinking run as it costs less - (nothing compared to at the very least money to get in to the pool, lol) I guess I'll see what happens when I get back from the chemist after I eventually get up, lol.

2011-05-15 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Headed to the pool after lunch for an easy work out.  Did a bunch of drills, worked on kicking, and just took it easy.  Followed the swim up with a nice, easy 4.7mile run 44:01 (check points were 10:49, 9:45, 5:57, 9:42, 7:46).  Wind was brutal, but the run went very well as I just relaxed and took my time.  9:22 pace was nothing to write home about, but it was comfortable and let me put in some miles.  Shin splints continue to improve as they only bothered me for about 30 seconds during the run and are not bad this PM.

Decided to try out a Mexican restaurant that a co-worker had recommended -- great choice as it was the best place we've been to since we left Denver. 

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

2011-05-15 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3500185

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Mike_D - 2011-05-15 4:13 PM

OK, who raced this weekend?!?!! Reports, please!

I had a swim lesson today and had a couple of "a-HA!!!" moments. My coach/instructor said things were looking quite good, and he had a few nit picks, but thats about it. Then he completely kicked my butt by having me swim all kinds of intervals, short & long, and left we a pathetic lump on the wall of the pool. He later confessed this was his intention all along to see how my stroke holds up as I get tired swimming. Turns out it was a mixed bag, but very promising. Worked on extending my stroke much of the time, and getting into a rhythm. He also had me bilaterally breathe every time I swam, and that was a challenge as I have never really done this much in the past. Speed wise, I shocked myself a few times by pulling off what I consider crazy times (for me) on 50 yd sets. Several times I was able to maintain a 1:16/100 pace on these. Funny part was, it didn't seem to be any more effort, just concentrating on a smooth stroke, and extending the glide of each. Had I been doing a "golf" score, I would have come in around 70 on just about all of them.

Still haven't fixed my flat, but likely will later. No pain today from yesterday's incident. Tomorrow AM will be some running, bike & run on Tuesday, and Wednesday back in the pool.

Man I hope that I can get to where you are some day!  While I'm making progress, can't even fathom 1:16 for 100!

2011-05-15 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3500546

Extreme Veteran
Curt - great work on the swim and run. I'm sure you'll get to that 1:16 pace eventually. You're always doing better than someone else anyway - I can't even fathom the length of your workouts, lol.
2011-05-15 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3500588

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
That's the great thing about the mentor groups Suzie!!!!  They provide you with a bit of extra motivation and remind you that there's always progress that can be made.  I'm really happy with my first year in endurance sports and looking forward to many more.  I feel great and love seeing the improvements.  And I'm hooked on all of the support / comraderie that's here on the board -- really fun to see how people help each other.

2011-05-16 12:12 AM
in reply to: #3500766

Extreme Veteran

croixfan - 2011-05-15 10:11 PM That's the great thing about the mentor groups Suzie!!!!  They provide you with a bit of extra motivation and remind you that there's always progress that can be made.  I'm really happy with my first year in endurance sports and looking forward to many more.  I feel great and love seeing the improvements.  And I'm hooked on all of the support / comraderie that's here on the board -- really fun to see how people help each other.

That's why I like forums in gneral. I don't really know anyone near me who does any of this stuff - well I do but I'm not in regular contact with them - so I like being able to hear of how things work in the bigger world.

2011-05-16 2:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
16 min run/walk session. Warm up 5 min ( definitely longer than I normally go as I was starting to wonder when it would end around 4 mins (normal walk warm up is approx .34 miles)) followed by 4 run intervals of 05:55,05:55 (stuffed up the first one so started the interval thing on my phone again),10:50,15:45 (leg started hurting and this one kick my butt) then a 7 min walk to make up the intended time (10 min because I forgot about the stuffed up first interval.) Got .94 miles which equates to a 17:01 pace. I'm thinking I'll stick to the 05:55 and 10:50 second intervals next time but I may throw 1 15:45 in there to see if I can do it - I'm thinking some sort of ladder type thing.

Now off to finish my assignment - got bored just copying info so went out for my run to improve concentration, lol. 
2011-05-16 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Sara -- question for you regarding swim workout structure. I'm looking to put together some swim workouts which will focus on my continued emphasis on form and build endurance. I've read up on a few things, and have come up with the following and wanted your $0.02.

wu: 2x100 or 1x200

Drill set: 8x50 or 10x50, each emphasizing an aspect of stroke I need to work on: bilateral breathing, relaxed head & shoulders, catch & pull, kick.  Last 2 50's in set are "put it all together" swims

Main Set: Focus on form & stroke: 4x25 on @ :10; 1X100; 6X25 @ :10; 1X150; 8X25 @ :10; 1X200; 6X25 @ :10; 1X150; 4X25 @ :10; 100

CD: 1x100 easy 

The main set is intenede to let me focus on shorter lengths, then follow by a longer distance. over time, I'd up the distances as I get more endurance. Total distance is 2200 yards

This is something like I went through at my lesson yesterday, and the main sets are not something I've seen before. If you have other ideas, that would be great, too!

Overall, I think I had a big breakthrough on swimming the past few days. I feel *FAR* more smooth/streamlined in the water, and am hopeful I can work this in to muscle memory and build on it. Managed to average under 1:30 today for my (short) workout. 1:20 is in my sights Cool

2011-05-16 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3497771

User image

Master
Dunedin
jayhawkrichie - 2011-05-13 2:37 PM

Going to go for a run later, but it may be very late. Friday is date night and I refuse to miss that.

Tim

Date nights are definitely a priority! Hope you had a good one!

2011-05-16 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3497848

User image

Master
Dunedin

croixfan - 2011-05-13 3:12 PM Help me out guys -- are the paddles to build strength?  To teach form?  What's their purpose?

We used them to build strength, but it also teaches form.  You get to play around with the force you generate from your pull to see how it affects your speed and then learn what works best.

2011-05-16 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3498511

User image

Master
Dunedin
suzielea - 2011-05-14 3:20 AM

Few things I thought today:

1. My goggles need upgrading - I went with the cheapest adult pair they had - only them and 1 other pair (out of 3) felt any good - because I think they're leaking. Either that or I'm not wearing them properly - didn't help that I tried to take them off (stick them on top of my head while I rest so I can see the timer) as I thought I'd put them on upside down and they actually fell in the pool, lol.

2. I need to leard how to do breastroke again so I can go further under water. Not sure if it's just me or it's common to "shorties" (I'm about 5'2") but I can't seem to jump high enough out of the shallow end to exit by sitting on the edge (think reverse slide-entry) so I have to cross lanes (first lane is usually a larger lane for lessons or mucking around ie they had a big inflatable toy thing in it today that you climb over before jumping in the water about maybe 10-15m from the edge) to get to the ladder so I can get out and I kept catching my legs on the lane rope.

3. I really need to work out a way to easily get out of my swim suit. I ended up taking my old one (not that old but it's not the new one, lol) as it was in the bag from my abandoned post race beach trip and forgot to raid the ribbon beforehand (mum used to sell haberdashery at markets so we have a heap of the stuff) and it really hurts my shoulders trying to get in/out of the thing. As an idea to what it looks like it's basically a wet suit withough the arms or legs but in swimsuit material.

Nice work, Suzanne!  With the goggles-I purchase ones that have two straps (it's actually one strap that when looped through the goggles makes two straps).  One strap is placed towards the top of the back of your head and the other towards the bottom of the back of your head.  It helps with the seal. Laughing

2011-05-16 11:51 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Mike_D - 2011-05-14 8:52 AM

I went out for a ride this AM, hoping to do 30 miles, and manged 3. Hit a pot hole, flatted my back tire, and while looking back to check out the flat, I hit a sand patch, and wiped out. Just a great way to start the day. Landed *hard* on my right hip/butt and it sore as heck right now, but I'll live.  What made all is worse is I had zero cell reception where I was wondering how I'd get home, other than walking. Then I was fortunate to have a police car drive by. He stopped, and ended up giving me a ride home. Forgot my helmet, so I had to drive back to the wreck site to get it. I also had the speed/cadence sensor on the back fall off, so I need to fix that as well.

Oh man, Mike! I am relieved that you are okay.  Sorry about your accident.  Hope you can get back in the saddle once you're healed up!

2011-05-16 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3499086

User image

Master
Dunedin
Twhittum - 2011-05-14 5:14 PM

Hey everyone-

Looks like everyone is getting some good work outs in. My race is 22 days away, and I've hit some set backs, but things are looking up. I got my allergies under control. My sinus infection is under control, and my back is feeling pretty good. I switched pools, the pool I was going to kept changing the lap swim times. I missed a couple days that way. I got ride in yesterday, but had to pull the kids so it made it much more difficult but we had fun.  I have to stop a lot because they tend to fight alot when they are in such close quaters. Plan on a long swim tomorrow, and atleast a 3 mile run.  I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Tracie

Tracie, good to hear from you!  Let us know if you have any questions related to training or race day.  Good luck with the three weeks leading up to your race!

2011-05-16 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3499105

User image

Master
Dunedin
Mike_D - 2011-05-14 5:28 PM

No wardrobe malfunctions, thankfully . It appears the flat is as bad as it may get. I just bought a new tube, and will now learn the fine art of changing a tire. So the whole mess is realy just an opportunity for me to learn bike maintenance .

Swim lesson tomorrow AM.

As frustrating as a flat can be, you'll probably feel more confident as your rides get longer because you have yourself as the secret weapon for fixing flats-rather than towing your bike to the local bike shop. =)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72