BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-06-03 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3530219

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

@Matt - how do I get my husband to say the same thing to me?! 'Help me spend my money' Laughing I'm sure he wishes I would QUIT spending his money, ha!

Sorry, I have no advice for you!

@Randy - good luck this weekend!!

Had Tri Training this morning. The run felt great, but right at the end I ran out of steam. I know I had a tiny bit left to finish my all of 2 miles... but I just couldn't do it. We are supposed to go out easy and come back harder on the finish. I did mine in reverse. *thumbs down*

Tomorrow I'm going for a short ride. I was going to do a group thing, but we had something come up with family so I'm just going to go out early and get a few miles in.

Sunday will be a day of rushing to complete this remodel before next weekend. Sigh. I'll be SO happy when this is done!

Hope you all have a GREAT weekend!!

2011-06-03 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

Randy and Deb-Good luck this weekend.  I'll be anxious to hear if you meet your secret goals.

Matt-I love spending other people's money! I have a Fizik Arione Tri 2.  It is uncomfortable when i'm in my aero bars for an extended period of time.  I'm guessing men and women would be different as far as what is comfortable.  I saw Fizik has a women's saddle I'd like to try.  But....my husband doesn't share your "help me spend my money" idea.

I'm going to try to get in a long run tomorrow.  Sunday I'm doing a group swim/bike/run.  It's a 1500 meter open water swim, 14 mile bike, 3 mile run.  Should be fun.  I'm doing it with a couple of girlfriends.  They are not comfortable in the open water, so I agreed to swim with them.  I'm going to try to go all out for the bike and run.  They are way faster runners than I am.  Hoping to keep up with them.

Are Randy and Deb the only ones racing this weekend?  Good luck if I missed anyone.

Christy

2011-06-04 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I found a new recovery food.  Homemade whole wheat bread with Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter on top.  It has WAY less sugar than Nutella and I think it's just as yummy. 

What's your favorite recovery food?

2011-06-04 11:27 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hey folks-had a good race today.  My "secret" goal was sub 1:25.  I finished in 1:20:31.  Very pleased.  Really wanted to finish in top 3 in age group.  Would have won the age group by 3 minutes last year with that time.  This year there were some really strong racers and I finished 5/47 in AG. Was 32/550 overall.  Can't control who shows up only what I do.  Really hit the bike hard and looking at prelim numbers I avg between 23.4-24mph over 18 miles.  Looking forward to the race splits being posted to see how I did for s/b/r.

Recovery food??-so far today I have been very fond of cold beer. Not sure that helps with recovery but helps on so many other fronts.  

More later time to clean up..Thanks to everyone for their support and encouragement.

Randy
2011-06-04 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3532260

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-06-04 11:27 AM Hey folks-had a good race today.  My "secret" goal was sub 1:25.  I finished in 1:20:31.  Very pleased.  Really wanted to finish in top 3 in age group.  Would have won the age group by 3 minutes last year with that time.  This year there were some really strong racers and I finished 5/47 in AG. Was 32/550 overall.  Can't control who shows up only what I do.  Really hit the bike hard and looking at prelim numbers I avg between 23.4-24mph over 18 miles.  Looking forward to the race splits being posted to see how I did for s/b/r.

Recovery food??-so far today I have been very fond of cold beer. Not sure that helps with recovery but helps on so many other fronts.  

More later time to clean up..Thanks to everyone for their support and encouragement.

Randy

WOW!! Beating your goal by 5 min is awesome; even if it didn't get you in the top 3.   I love a recovery beer as well Smile.

2011-06-04 3:53 PM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
Randy, awesome job! Wonderful that you beat your goal by so much! Wonder how beer and nutella would taste together?

2011-06-04 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3532513

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

djb45 - 2011-06-04 3:53 PM Randy, awesome job! Wonderful that you beat your goal by so much! Wonder how beer and nutella would taste together?

Beer and nutella...you're a genius!

2011-06-05 6:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Deb-Have a great race!  You'll be a triathlete soon!!!
2011-06-05 6:29 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Deb-have a great race!! Looking forward to hearing about it.

Randy
2011-06-05 6:31 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Not sure why but I was wide awake at 5:00am....going to head out and get 1.5-2 hour recovery ride in.  Feel pretty good after yesterday's race.  Not sure about Nutella and beer together as a recovery food but I can vouch that a big bowl of ice cream made me feel more recovered last night.

Randy
2011-06-05 6:08 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hey-kind of quiet here today.  Hope everyone is getting in some good training/racing.  We had rain here (.25 inch) for the first time in 3+ weeks.  Yeah!!! Was able to get in a ride and some yard work this morning.  Then a nap this afternoon. 

I am going to try and attach a pic of my bike in race mode. It is not what I started with 2 years ago.  My tolerant wife of 20+ years suggested that I get a new one over the Christmas holidays since we have 2 entering college in the next 2 years it was likely then or 5-6 years from now.  I have to say that it has been great motivation to ride.  Frankly, it is a much nicer bike than I deserve.  But, I have trained extra hard to "justify" having such a nice bike.  Don't want to be the guy that people pass on the bike leg saying "Why does that slow old guy have such a nice bike?"

Randy  

Edited by slornow 2011-06-05 6:10 PM

(photo[1] (5)race.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
photo[1] (5)race.jpg (91KB - 13 downloads)

2011-06-05 6:11 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Wow..it worked. Picture quality not good but I took it with my phone.

Randy
2011-06-05 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3533639

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-06-05 6:08 PM Hey-kind of quiet here today.  Hope everyone is getting in some good training/racing.  We had rain here (.25 inch) for the first time in 3+ weeks.  Yeah!!! Was able to get in a ride and some yard work this morning.  Then a nap this afternoon. 

I am going to try and attach a pic of my bike in race mode. It is not what I started with 2 years ago.  My tolerant wife of 20+ years suggested that I get a new one over the Christmas holidays since we have 2 entering college in the next 2 years it was likely then or 5-6 years from now.  I have to say that it has been great motivation to ride.  Frankly, it is a much nicer bike than I deserve.  But, I have trained extra hard to "justify" having such a nice bike.  Don't want to be the guy that people pass on the bike leg saying "Why does that slow old guy have such a nice bike?"

Randy  

Nice bike!  I feel the same about mine.  It's WAY too nice for me.  But my husband got a bonus from work earlier this year and was nice enough to get me a bike Smile.   I figure now I have no excuses. 

I had a crazy day.  Went to an organized swim/bike/run with some friends.  One friend had a really hard time in the water.  I "swam" with her the whole time.  My other friend hit a rock on her bike and went over her handle bars.  It was her first time riding on the road.  She was pretty beat up.  Needless to say, there was no running.    Both of them are new to tris.  I hope this doesn't ruin it for them.  It did reaffirm the fact that the tri community is awesome.  Everyone was so helpful.  Tons of people stopped to help my friend who crashed.  There were people there cleaning the gravel out of her scrapes. Everyone was great. 

Hope you guys had less eventful training this weekend.

Christy

2011-06-05 6:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Here's a picture of my friends crash.

The picture is too big. 

Edited by cbrookhart 2011-06-05 6:58 PM
2011-06-05 9:27 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Grandman Sprint race report posted in Race Report forum.  Sorry still don't know how to link it.  5th of 47 in AG and 32/623 overall.  Really excited about 24mph bike split. WOO HOO!!! Looking back I averaged 20.7mph on shorter bike segment two years ago when this was my first race.  Flip side is I was 30 seconds faster on the run 2 years ago.  Oh well...plenty to keep working on.

Randy
2011-06-06 4:38 AM

User image

New user

Wow Randy! Nice bike. No wonder you are clocking in with 24mph averages!

I did my second triathlon of the year yesterday. Only a sprint again. This is the link to my race log:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=255202&posts=1&start=1

I was pretty pleased with the day. I came 4th out of 209 and was the first novice! My aim was to break 1hr 4mins overall and also break 20mins on the run. Disappointed not to reach my goals but it was raining all day so maybe that hindered me because the run was on grass.

I really want to do open water triathlons at a standard distance but have looked at hiring or buying a wet-suit and it's not cheap... Being a student I am pretty strapped for cash so parting with £100 ($160-170) seems alot when i could enter three sprint triathlons for the same price....

What are your guy's thoughts on this?

James

2011-06-06 6:37 AM
in reply to: #3533987

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-06-05 9:27 PM Grandman Sprint race report posted in Race Report forum.  Sorry still don't know how to link it.  5th of 47 in AG and 32/623 overall.  Really excited about 24mph bike split. WOO HOO!!! Looking back I averaged 20.7mph on shorter bike segment two years ago when this was my first race.  Flip side is I was 30 seconds faster on the run 2 years ago.  Oh well...plenty to keep working on.

Randy

That is awesome!  It seems like giving up 30 seconds on the run wouldn't be too big a deal if you increased your bike speed that much.  Congrats on a great race.

2011-06-06 6:43 AM
in reply to: #3534142

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
chugger99 - 2011-06-06 4:38 AM

Wow Randy! Nice bike. No wonder you are clocking in with 24mph averages!

I did my second triathlon of the year yesterday. Only a sprint again. This is the link to my race log:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=255202&posts=1&start=1

I was pretty pleased with the day. I came 4th out of 209 and was the first novice! My aim was to break 1hr 4mins overall and also break 20mins on the run. Disappointed not to reach my goals but it was raining all day so maybe that hindered me because the run was on grass.

I really want to do open water triathlons at a standard distance but have looked at hiring or buying a wet-suit and it's not cheap... Being a student I am pretty strapped for cash so parting with £100 ($160-170) seems alot when i could enter three sprint triathlons for the same price....

James

Looks like you had a good race.  Nothing you can do about rain and running on the grass. I'd be THRILLED if I ran that fast!

I'd say wait on the wetsuit.  You won't be a student forever! 

Christy

2011-06-06 7:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

slornow - 2011-06-04 12:27 PM Hey folks-had a good race today.  My "secret" goal was sub 1:25.  I finished in 1:20:31.  Very pleased.  Really wanted to finish in top 3 in age group.  Would have won the age group by 3 minutes last year with that time.  This year there were some really strong racers and I finished 5/47 in AG. Was 32/550 overall.  Can't control who shows up only what I do.  Really hit the bike hard and looking at prelim numbers I avg between 23.4-24mph over 18 miles.  Looking forward to the race splits being posted to see how I did for s/b/r.

Randy

GREAT JOB!  congrads on personal goal..  Bring on the beer!

2011-06-06 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3534223

User image

Veteran
Naples
cbrookhart - 2011-06-06 7:37 AM

slornow - 2011-06-05 9:27 PM Grandman Sprint race report posted in Race Report forum.  Sorry still don't know how to link it.  5th of 47 in AG and 32/623 overall.  Really excited about 24mph bike split. WOO HOO!!! Looking back I averaged 20.7mph on shorter bike segment two years ago when this was my first race.  Flip side is I was 30 seconds faster on the run 2 years ago.  Oh well...plenty to keep working on.

Randy

That is awesome!  It seems like giving up 30 seconds on the run wouldn't be too big a deal if you increased your bike speed that much.  Congrats on a great race.

Randy - you are SICK with bike times that fast, way to go!

2011-06-06 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3534142

User image

Master
South Alabama
chugger99 - 2011-06-06 4:38 AM

James

James-great race.  Excellent result!

I suspect you have many more wetsuit legal races than I do on the Gulf Coast.  If most of the races you do allow a wetsuit then I would look to try to pick one up.  Fit is so important with wetsuits.  Xterra brand wetsuits runs several 50% off sales throughout the year.  They make a "Volt" model that is entry level and is often on sale for under $100.  Not sure how that works out with you being in England.  Another alternative is to buy used....but make sure it fits which might be hard to try out if you buy from someone online.  Renting a suit for your races this year may be a way to try several models and get an idea on fit.  If you have a local tri shop maybe they would give you partial credit on purchase if you rent a suit from them.  Just a thought.

Randy  

2011-06-06 7:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

Hi all!  Great weekend for racing! Congrads to all who had a great race or training this weekend, keep up the good work!

I did the Naples Fitness Challenge in Naples Florida, had my best time in years!  Really excited about the run.  It was a sprint tri, so I did not know how fast I was going to be.  My goal was an hour and I missed it by 1 minute and 16 seconds UUUUUGGGGHHHH!  Next year I will break that hour mark.

Here are the stats:

Naples Fitness Tri

Run 5K miles 22:13 (last years run was 25:05

6:45 (yeah I know, holy crud, where did that come from? i have not run that fast in years)

7:14

7:30

:45

Bike 15K

26:24 (last years time was 28:07)

21 avg (happy with that, not as fast as Randy, but good

Swim .25 miles

8:35 (last years time was 9:05, got tired during swim I think I ran out of gas not being use to sprinting this long)

The transitions were long, its a long run, almost .5 miles to the water after the bike.  I think I can do an hour with the better transitions, last year transitions were 5:20 this year transitions were 4:14. 

Overall very happy with dropping almost 6 minutes off of race time from last year, with all the training I have been doing its good to see the fruits of my labor

Swimming for an hour today in Gulf of Mexico, have a great day!

2011-06-06 7:57 AM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX

Hi all. Great job Randy and great bike! Wowser! I had an interesting and enlightening first open water. My son raced in the regular sprint so I had someone to keep me company for a while. It was hard waiting to be the last group getting in the water.

We swam in a small, private lake surrounded by office buildings and a concrete wall. We were told to sit on the wall and sort of slide into the water. It was about 3' deep at the wall. There were 28 women and 29 men. Half of us chose to get a little deeper at the start buoy and tread water and the other half stayed in the shallow until start time. We had a five minute wait after we got in before starting.

At the gun start, I felt pretty confident and started out. About 2 seconds into the race, I had the thought of swimming across to where my husband was sitting and quit. Eeeegaads! I can do this! It is only 300 yards and I have practiced it many times in our lake. I did NOT count on the many slapping bodies of all those yellow hatted people, though! Wow! Kicks I avoided but they were everywhere! I felt like a sardine. Halfway to our first buoy, my goggles fogged so bad I could barely see. After just passing the buoy, they started to leak...these are $37 AquaSpheres that shouldn't be doing this!

I am chugging down lake water and blind and have to stop to try and sight or see what the heck is going on two or three times. I try to fix my goggles and blindly swim on. The whole time, I am thinking I am way out of my league! What was I thinking? The last 25 yards, I put my goggles on top of my head because I couldn't see. When I saw the finish was so close, I stuck them back on and swam for it. I finally made it and climbed up a steep set of carpet covered iron rails put in for us. Needless to say, I was very shaky leaving the swim but ran WAY BACK to the area set aside in transition for the newbies. The good news is I swam 300 yards like that in 5:55 with a less than 2:00 pace per hundred and the first two tris (in pools) I did were 9:00 and 10:00 respectively.

I was so nervous and frazzled, I decided to put my shoes on without socks and tried to take the bike rack with me when I pulled my bike off. Took me an extra few seconds to get the bike off finally, but I slow jogged out of transition in about two minutes. The bike course was hilly and it was hot, but I pushed as hard as I could and my 12 mile pace was 16.7 mph. I was very pleased with this as my previous two tris were 49 and 47 min and I did this in 43.

The run was rough and it was only two miles for us newbies. The course was a long, relatively flat one. A couple of false hills and one hill with a little size. The problem was you could see a long way up the course and it looked like it would take forever! No nice winding thru the woods. Just miles of concrete highway up ahead. I think I sort of defeated myself on the run. I ended up doing 10.17 min. miles which is my worse ever. 9:20 has been my best so far on a 5K.

I am happy with my 6th place out of 28 women, though! I was the oldest by far! I learned alot and have some things to work on. It is the day after, and I am not sore or exhausted! I can do this and get better!!

I do have a question for everyone. What kind of goggles do you use? Do you put a defogger on them? Do you spit in them? How do you clean them and any help for getting them on correctly so they don't leak??!!

2011-06-06 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3534339

User image

Veteran
Naples
djb45 - 2011-06-06 8:57 AM

Hi all. Great job Randy and great bike! Wowser! I had an interesting and enlightening first open water. My son raced in the regular sprint so I had someone to keep me company for a while. It was hard waiting to be the last group getting in the water.

We swam in a small, private lake surrounded by office buildings and a concrete wall. We were told to sit on the wall and sort of slide into the water. It was about 3' deep at the wall. There were 28 women and 29 men. Half of us chose to get a little deeper at the start buoy and tread water and the other half stayed in the shallow until start time. We had a five minute wait after we got in before starting.

At the gun start, I felt pretty confident and started out. About 2 seconds into the race, I had the thought of swimming across to where my husband was sitting and quit. Eeeegaads! I can do this! It is only 300 yards and I have practiced it many times in our lake. I did NOT count on the many slapping bodies of all those yellow hatted people, though! Wow! Kicks I avoided but they were everywhere! I felt like a sardine. Halfway to our first buoy, my goggles fogged so bad I could barely see. After just passing the buoy, they started to leak...these are $37 AquaSpheres that shouldn't be doing this!

I am chugging down lake water and blind and have to stop to try and sight or see what the heck is going on two or three times. I try to fix my goggles and blindly swim on. The whole time, I am thinking I am way out of my league! What was I thinking? The last 25 yards, I put my goggles on top of my head because I couldn't see. When I saw the finish was so close, I stuck them back on and swam for it. I finally made it and climbed up a steep set of carpet covered iron rails put in for us. Needless to say, I was very shaky leaving the swim but ran WAY BACK to the area set aside in transition for the newbies. The good news is I swam 300 yards like that in 5:55 with a less than 2:00 pace per hundred and the first two tris (in pools) I did were 9:00 and 10:00 respectively.

I was so nervous and frazzled, I decided to put my shoes on without socks and tried to take the bike rack with me when I pulled my bike off. Took me an extra few seconds to get the bike off finally, but I slow jogged out of transition in about two minutes. The bike course was hilly and it was hot, but I pushed as hard as I could and my 12 mile pace was 16.7 mph. I was very pleased with this as my previous two tris were 49 and 47 min and I did this in 43.

The run was rough and it was only two miles for us newbies. The course was a long, relatively flat one. A couple of false hills and one hill with a little size. The problem was you could see a long way up the course and it looked like it would take forever! No nice winding thru the woods. Just miles of concrete highway up ahead. I think I sort of defeated myself on the run. I ended up doing 10.17 min. miles which is my worse ever. 9:20 has been my best so far on a 5K.

I am happy with my 6th place out of 28 women, though! I was the oldest by far! I learned alot and have some things to work on. It is the day after, and I am not sore or exhausted! I can do this and get better!!

I do have a question for everyone. What kind of goggles do you use? Do you put a defogger on them? Do you spit in them? How do you clean them and any help for getting them on correctly so they don't leak??!!

Super Job!   congrads!  Glad you did not give up!

2011-06-06 8:12 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Deb-that is fantastic.  I have felt the same way at the beginning of the swim in many races.  Way to hang in there and stick it out.  Your swim time was great.  Solid bike and run paces as well.  Been looking forward to hearing how things went.  You should be very proud of your accomplishment!

Goggles-I tried several when I started swimming and eventually decided on Speedo Hydrospec (sp?).  Not fancy and typically $10-12 pair but they work well for me and seem to fit my face well.  I will usually put the goggles in the water for a few seconds before putting them on to help with fogging.  A little spit rubbed around seems to help as well.  Regardless of what is advertised it seems that all goggles will fog in certain conditions.

Randy
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56