BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-07-02 8:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open

Originally posted by Jeakins 29/28 Woo Made it! I will admit most of the workouts are bike rides as each way of my bike commute counts. Maintenance update: I made a truing stand using my bike trainer (zipped tied some 2x4’s to hold the guide). If interested I can send some pics. It worked like a charm. Wheel went from in the range of 3/4” out to about 1/16” out. Happy with the result and after a 13 km ride it still looks and feels good. I picked up a new pair of running shoes. First time from a specialty running store(s). I am neutral pronation and due to the PF they recommended a cushioned shoe. But it is hard to find shoes in 10 EEE or 10 EEEE Between 3 stores, 1 pair fit. (My feet are basically square). Has anyone bought shoes online? Now that I know what I need I can shop around when it comes time for my next pair. Thor (or anyone), any challenge for July? I liked the 28 S/B/R. It was difficult to achieve but possible, very motivating.

Yes to the July challenge! We will go with 28 again(we get a bonus day this month to complete!)

Shoot me a pic of your home tire trueing pic! My son's tire needs some [email protected].

You need to get you bike out on the road around Canmore/Banff. They repaved most of it last year...great pavement. Also the Legacy trail is great to ride, especially in the mornings when there are not too many people on it!

Edited by thor67 2014-07-02 8:37 AM

2014-07-02 8:35 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17 It was a crazy week for me training-wise. On Friday - I ran 15 miles - 7 miles in the morning and 8 in the evening) and was stoked by the result. My coach cut back my walking time significantly and as a result, my pace was around the 11:30 for the morning's run and 12:12 mark in the afternoon(for me - that's damn fast!). Plus, there are a series of hills close to my families place up here in NO. MI and I made sure to run all the way up them without stopping during my evening run. They were pretty long and steep so it was a huge confidence boost. Then on Sunday, I rode a century from my families place in central michigan to Charlevoix. When I got there - I bought a half pound of fudge (chocolate, my favorite) as a reward for when I got back. About half way home, the skys opening and it rained as hard as I've ever seen it. Plus, the ride home was mostly uphill so it really challenged me. In all, I climbed 3100 feet which is 20 more than the course at IMMT. So, all in all, it was a huge weekend for me confidence-wise. I've got 4 weeks left of really heavy training and then the taper! Thanks as always for the support! Finally - what's the challenge for the month? Anyone have any ideas?

Great job on completing your workouts this weekend! It will pay dividends in 4 weeks time!

2014-07-02 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17
Originally posted by thor67 While i haven't had the runs, the bikes in Banff have been awesome. Ride this morning was spectacular. Going to try for another tomorrow before packing up to go home!
Glad to hear you haven't had a case of the runs..

That only happens with coors light... :-)

2014-07-02 8:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well after a 4 night camping trip in the mountains where I managed to:

• get some great rides in with my wife
  • only get one run in of hill repeats
  • drink too much beer
  • eat too much
  • spend some quality time with the family

It is time to get back at it! Race day is less than 2 weeks away. taper next week and be ready for my first race in 2 years.(missed last year due to injury)

Lunch run today. Try convince family to go do some swim training tonite...

2014-07-02 9:11 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

, Vermont
That sounds great, Thor! I love camping. I couldn't get any workouts in while camping except a short hike/jog one day (too remote - we go where we have to kayak or take the Guide Boat in - no motor access).

Well I came up a couple of workouts short for June but considering our camping for 4 days and almost a week off when the kids got out of school I'm pretty happy overall with my first ever challenge. Had a 10k this past Saturday - hot and hilly run at 8:05 min/miles.

Here's how June finished up for me:

Swim: 3 hrs 35 min 8,350.2 yds (7,635.5 m)

Bike: 7 hrs 59 min 30 sec - 117.61 miles (189.27 km)

Run: 5 hrs 41 min 40 sec - 37.79 miles (60.817 km)

The swim and bike seem a little short but I'll try to pick those up some more. Husband is traveling for the next 3 weeks so it will be very interesting trying to fit any kind of distance in for any of the disciplines. My first sprint comes up in about 3 weeks (July 27th) and I'm starting to freak out a little bit about the ows. I have a bad chest cold right now and it was hard this past weekend to breathe in my wetsuit - couldn't expand my rib cage. This to shall come to pass, hopefully it's due to the cold.

2/28 this morning with a bike ride yesterday (using Strava - so cool) and a run this morning while hacking up a lung. So pleasant - determined to drive it out of my body.

Cheers!
Jenn
2014-07-02 9:34 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by aviatrix802 That sounds great, Thor! I love camping. I couldn't get any workouts in while camping except a short hike/jog one day (too remote - we go where we have to kayak or take the Guide Boat in - no motor access). Well I came up a couple of workouts short for June but considering our camping for 4 days and almost a week off when the kids got out of school I'm pretty happy overall with my first ever challenge. Had a 10k this past Saturday - hot and hilly run at 8:05 min/miles. Here's how June finished up for me: Swim: 3 hrs 35 min 8,350.2 yds (7,635.5 m) Bike: 7 hrs 59 min 30 sec - 117.61 miles (189.27 km) Run: 5 hrs 41 min 40 sec - 37.79 miles (60.817 km) The swim and bike seem a little short but I'll try to pick those up some more. Husband is traveling for the next 3 weeks so it will be very interesting trying to fit any kind of distance in for any of the disciplines. My first sprint comes up in about 3 weeks (July 27th) and I'm starting to freak out a little bit about the ows. I have a bad chest cold right now and it was hard this past weekend to breathe in my wetsuit - couldn't expand my rib cage. This to shall come to pass, hopefully it's due to the cold. 2/28 this morning with a bike ride yesterday (using Strava - so cool) and a run this morning while hacking up a lung. So pleasant - determined to drive it out of my body. Cheers! Jenn
Great job on your workouts! Did you count your 10k as a workout??

Gotta like Strava! I have used Endomondo, mapmyrun, and strava...so far I am sticking with Strava. It links up with my Wahoo Bluetooth Cadence/speed sensors on my bike. I have a iphone case mounted on my handlebars with speed/cadence etc. Nice an easy to read!

2014-07-02 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

A little light on swim and run.

swim

3h 56m - 13779.53 Yd
bike

14h 21m - 252.02 Mi
run

5h 44m 30s - 36.36 Mi
2014-07-02 10:18 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by aviatrix802 That sounds great, Thor! I love camping. I couldn't get any workouts in while camping except a short hike/jog one day (too remote - we go where we have to kayak or take the Guide Boat in - no motor access). Well I came up a couple of workouts short for June but considering our camping for 4 days and almost a week off when the kids got out of school I'm pretty happy overall with my first ever challenge. Had a 10k this past Saturday - hot and hilly run at 8:05 min/miles. Here's how June finished up for me: Swim: 3 hrs 35 min 8,350.2 yds (7,635.5 m) Bike: 7 hrs 59 min 30 sec - 117.61 miles (189.27 km) Run: 5 hrs 41 min 40 sec - 37.79 miles (60.817 km) The swim and bike seem a little short but I'll try to pick those up some more. Husband is traveling for the next 3 weeks so it will be very interesting trying to fit any kind of distance in for any of the disciplines. My first sprint comes up in about 3 weeks (July 27th) and I'm starting to freak out a little bit about the ows. I have a bad chest cold right now and it was hard this past weekend to breathe in my wetsuit - couldn't expand my rib cage. This to shall come to pass, hopefully it's due to the cold. 2/28 this morning with a bike ride yesterday (using Strava - so cool) and a run this morning while hacking up a lung. So pleasant - determined to drive it out of my body. Cheers! Jenn

Gotta like Strava! I have used Endomondo, mapmyrun, and strava...so far I am sticking with Strava. It links up with my Wahoo Bluetooth Cadence/speed sensors on my bike. I have a iphone case mounted on my handlebars with speed/cadence etc. Nice an easy to read!

I have just been issued a GPS enabled phone (5c) at work that is fine for personal use. Previously I have only logged GPS tracked activity via mapmyrun on my wife's iPhone. How strong is the case for a move the Strava? I only use the free tools in mapmyrun and would likely do the same in strava. Is it a tool that suits those with peripheral items (HR monitor, bike computer etc) or is it just plain superior for the bog standard spits, pace, net climb stats?

2014-07-02 10:42 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by badmo77a

I have just been issued a GPS enabled phone (5c) at work that is fine for personal use. Previously I have only logged GPS tracked activity via mapmyrun on my wife's iPhone. How strong is the case for a move the Strava? I only use the free tools in mapmyrun and would likely do the same in strava. Is it a tool that suits those with peripheral items (HR monitor, bike computer etc) or is it just plain superior for the bog standard spits, pace, net climb stats?

They all seem to continue to evolve. On my bike I always run two apps, Strava and wahoo. I just stumbled across the strava link up with wahoo...the others may have it as well.

I think in the end it is preference.  I pretty much use the free versions. I have yet to subscribe to any of them. They are all on my phone.

2014-07-02 11:01 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Checking in, friends. Work's got me really busy, so between that and training, time just has been in short supply.

Had a nice sprint this weekend. My bike split was 3rd in my AG and 25th overall Swim was okay and my run was 19th in my AG and 109th overall, of 23 and 351. That was at an 8:15/mile pace. In short, there are some *fast* runners in my AG. It was great to let the quads do some talking on the bike, instead of holding back.

Other than that, I'm just talking it day by day right now. Not much more that I can do. Doing okay, just trying to manage the work stress and training stress . . .

Atta boy! Killer bike split! You must have been loving life! Hopefully those victories will fuel your fire as IMWI gets closer!
2014-07-02 11:03 AM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by badmo77a

They all seem to continue to evolve. On my bike I always run two apps, Strava and wahoo. I just stumbled across the strava link up with wahoo...the others may have it as well.

I think in the end it is preference.  I pretty much use the free versions. I have yet to subscribe to any of them. They are all on my phone.

I've used Strava in the past and liked it. I feel like it beats out Mapmyride in terms of the number of courses you can race against other users (mapmyride stole this feature from them) and I also like the adaptability of their free version. That said, I use Mapmyride because so many friends and family members use it.

2014-07-02 11:06 AM
in reply to: podemma

User image

Expert
Originally posted by podemma

The last 2 weeks have been horrible from a training perspective.  Things are starting to settle down and I working on getting back into the grove.  Manged to get a short bike and run in yesterday so that is a good (re)start!

Glad to hear you're back on track! What do you have planned for the rest of the week?
2014-07-02 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

The last 2 weeks have been horrible from a training perspective.  Things are starting to settle down and I working on getting back into the grove.  Manged to get a short bike and run in yesterday so that is a good (re)start!

Glad to hear you're back on track! What do you have planned for the rest of the week?

Hey David, could you post a table with all the members so we can link up and start dropping some inspires on peoples training logs?

2014-07-02 2:45 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Hi All,

Registered for my Olympic in September (14th) today. Immediately regret my decision after looking at the bike course profile :-)

Also looked up last years results from the same event. Dead last is a real possibility. Certainly age group last.

1/28 so far this month.

Adrian
2014-07-02 2:51 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by badmo77a Hi All, Registered for my Olympic in September (14th) today. Immediately regret my decision after looking at the bike course profile :-) Also looked up last years results from the same event. Dead last is a real possibility. Certainly age group last. 1/28 so far this month. Adrian

You have 2 1/2 months to move up in the standings! The good part about triathlon is that unless you are at the pointy end of the pencil, you are racing yourself. Especially if this is your first Oly! You are setting the bar for future races so go out there and do the best you can and enjoy the experience. You are way ahead of all those still sitting on the couch watching the lousy Leafs...sorry I couldn't resist...

2014-07-02 2:57 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Originally posted by badmo77a Hi All, Registered for my Olympic in September (14th) today. Immediately regret my decision after looking at the bike course profile :-) Also looked up last years results from the same event. Dead last is a real possibility. Certainly age group last. 1/28 so far this month. Adrian

You have 2 1/2 months to move up in the standings! The good part about triathlon is that unless you are at the pointy end of the pencil, you are racing yourself. Especially if this is your first Oly! You are setting the bar for future races so go out there and do the best you can and enjoy the experience. You are way ahead of all those still sitting on the couch watching the lousy Leafs...sorry I couldn't resist...

Don't worry. I am an Englishman living in Ontario. So the Leafs are as much a source of amusement to me as they are to everyone else.

I know I am far from the pointy end. In my recent sprint two dudes from the 70+ age group had better finishes than I did! No, this is all about my victory over my previous lifestyle. And enjoying the journey.

Nice lead time to get some solid training in. That is what I am focusing on now.

2014-07-02 7:43 PM

User image

, Vermont
I still use both mapmyrun and strava. I only use strava for biking as I don't like to carry anything while running and I have no other gps devices other than my phone. I don't subscribe either - just use the free versions. You can use HRM as I've seen others log this. (I don't have one of those either)
**There is a way to attach a link/create a group on strava and invite others from say, BDAAS, to join so we can see each other's workouts within that group and check out each other's rides, runs, whatever and give kuddos or make comments.
This all being said, I've heard Training Peaks is really good but I have no experience with this yet.

~J
2014-07-02 10:15 PM

User image

Expert

Hey David, could you post a table with all the members so we can link up and start dropping some inspires on peoples training logs?

Hi Everyone - here is a link to my log where I have a table with the names of most members of the BDAAS (if I don't have your's (and if you have joined in the last month of so - that's you) please let me know) Podemma - I know you told me your name but I never added it - my apologies!). Sorry Thor - but the days of being able to paste a table into a forum post area over with the updated website.

You can cut and paste it into your log. Let's follow Thors suggestion and start leaving some inspires on peoples training logs!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?...

PS - I just looked over it and saw some problems with the links. I will try to fix those tomorrow. If I have made a mistake with your name - my apologies. Please let me know and I will make the changes!

Edited by Qua17 2014-07-02 10:25 PM
2014-07-03 8:38 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802  **There is a way to attach a link/create a group on strava and invite others from say, BDAAS, to join so we can see each other's workouts within that group and check out each other's rides, runs, whatever and give kuddos or make comments.  ~J

I took the liberty of creating such a Strava group so we can have a quick and easy way to see how everyone is doing (for those interested in such a thing). It's setup as a Triathlon group for those that log their running and swimming in addition to cycling. I strongly recommend, however, that we not use the discussion feature and keep our communication strictly to this forum out of respect to David (the forum creator and man responsible for getting us all together in the first place) and those here who do not use Strava. 

http://www.strava.com/clubs/99951

2014-07-03 11:04 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by aviatrix802  **There is a way to attach a link/create a group on strava and invite others from say, BDAAS, to join so we can see each other's workouts within that group and check out each other's rides, runs, whatever and give kuddos or make comments.  ~J

I took the liberty of creating such a Strava group so we can have a quick and easy way to see how everyone is doing (for those interested in such a thing). It's setup as a Triathlon group for those that log their running and swimming in addition to cycling. I strongly recommend, however, that we not use the discussion feature and keep our communication strictly to this forum out of respect to David (the forum creator and man responsible for getting us all together in the first place) and those here who do not use Strava. 

http://www.strava.com/clubs/99951

Alan - Thanks Alan - I agree that people should keep posting to the BDAAS but everyone should feel free to do whatever they need in order to accomplish their goals. Just last night - Jared was kind enough to cheer me on during my run on mapmyride and it was great to get the support. So I encourage people to connect anyway they can. I'm not a big Strava guy but if you like it - go for it!
2014-07-03 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Hi All - I hope your training is going welll and you are enjoying the hell out of the sport that we all love!

My training is going very well. My long rides/runs are helping me to get faster and stronger. Yesterday, I averaged 15 mph during a relaxed workout - which is lightening fast for me. Then on the run, when I thought I would pay for the speed from the bike, I felt like I could run forever and started clicking off nine minute miles. I'm thrilled but also worried that the extra effort will lead to injury as it always has in the past. I find that as race day approaches, I get more and more nervous that something will happen that will impede my progress.

Speaking of which - I almost met my maker yesterday. I was going down a hill and was two feet to the right of the white line. This 18 wheeler as he was passing me, drifted over the white line and I could have reached out and tapped the side of the damned thing. I couldn't move over any more and I didn't want to fall either. Luckily - he sped past but it was way to close for me. It filled me with a rage that fueled my workout (oh my God, I was so upset) but I really could have done without it.

I'm working on the list of BDAAS members (Click on my log to see it). Please let me know if I need to add your name - I'll find it eventually but feel free to send a reminder and I'll add it ASAP. I'm also changing all the links so they take you to everyone's logs. I encourage you to follow Thor's lead and start leaving Inspires on people's workout logs. There is nothing more encouraging than a pat on the back and I know from personal experience how much a few inspires can get me over a hump or fuel the next workout,. So, make it your mission to start doing these for others which will encourage them to do it for you.

Finally - with money being tight, I'm drinking crappy beer even on vacation. I won't resort to Molson and I haven't earned a Coors Lite penalty (I'll do anything to avoid that!) - but I have been sucking down Buds and PBR's. It's not terrible but I hope you will talk about the beer you are drinking so I can live vicariously through you!

Prost!

2014-07-03 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17 Hi All - I hope your training is going welll and you are enjoying the hell out of the sport that we all love! My training is going very well. My long rides/runs are helping me to get faster and stronger. Yesterday, I averaged 15 mph during a relaxed workout - which is lightening fast for me. Then on the run, when I thought I would pay for the speed from the bike, I felt like I could run forever and started clicking off nine minute miles. I'm thrilled but also worried that the extra effort will lead to injury as it always has in the past. I find that as race day approaches, I get more and more nervous that something will happen that will impede my progress. Speaking of which - I almost met my maker yesterday. I was going down a hill and was two feet to the right of the white line. This 18 wheeler as he was passing me, drifted over the white line and I could have reached out and tapped the side of the damned thing. I couldn't move over any more and I didn't want to fall either. Luckily - he sped past but it was way to close for me. It filled me with a rage that fueled my workout (oh my God, I was so upset) but I really could have done without it. I'm working on the list of BDAAS members (Click on my log to see it). Please let me know if I need to add your name - I'll find it eventually but feel free to send a reminder and I'll add it ASAP. I'm also changing all the links so they take you to everyone's logs. I encourage you to follow Thor's lead and start leaving Inspires on people's workout logs. There is nothing more encouraging than a pat on the back and I know from personal experience how much a few inspires can get me over a hump or fuel the next workout,. So, make it your mission to start doing these for others which will encourage them to do it for you. Finally - with money being tight, I'm drinking crappy beer even on vacation. I won't resort to Molson and I haven't earned a Coors Lite penalty (I'll do anything to avoid that!) - but I have been sucking down Buds and PBR's. It's not terrible but I hope you will talk about the beer you are drinking so I can live vicariously through you! Prost!

After biking over a 100 miles, ice cold carbonated cat pee would probably taste good...

2014-07-03 12:32 PM

User image

Ok I am up for the challenge of 28 in July. I started my 16 week HIM training program today. My goal is not to miss one than 1 workout a week due to work. I gave our PT people at work my workout plan and they are going to adjust their plan for me for the next 16 weeks. Had a 40 min bike ride today so I am starting 1/28.

Scott ( I always forget to add my name)

Edited by b2b14 2014-07-03 12:33 PM
2014-07-03 1:39 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

Ok I am up for the challenge of 28 in July. I started my 16 week HIM training program today. My goal is not to miss one than 1 workout a week due to work. I gave our PT people at work my workout plan and they are going to adjust their plan for me for the next 16 weeks. Had a 40 min bike ride today so I am starting 1/28.

Scott ( I always forget to add my name)

Scott - congrats on stepping up to the plate and taking on the 28 workout challenge. Reaching your goal this month will jump start your training for your HIM, and I can promise you that the sense of accomplishment you will feel when you cross the finish line (and you will) is going to make it totally worth it!

To help stay focused - you should give yourself a coors light penalty if you miss more than 1 workout each week. Go out and buy a six pack and put it in your trunk. Leave it there all summer. And when you're on your way home from work and your thinking of blowing off a workout, think about how bad that skunked warm beer will taste as you choke it down your throat. I'm telling you - there is power in a self imposed coors light penalty.

Seriously - let us know how we can support you. When is the race?
2014-07-03 3:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17 Hi All - I hope your training is going welll and you are enjoying the hell out of the sport that we all love! My training is going very well. My long rides/runs are helping me to get faster and stronger. Yesterday, I averaged 15 mph during a relaxed workout - which is lightening fast for me. Then on the run, when I thought I would pay for the speed from the bike, I felt like I could run forever and started clicking off nine minute miles. I'm thrilled but also worried that the extra effort will lead to injury as it always has in the past. I find that as race day approaches, I get more and more nervous that something will happen that will impede my progress. Speaking of which - I almost met my maker yesterday. I was going down a hill and was two feet to the right of the white line. This 18 wheeler as he was passing me, drifted over the white line and I could have reached out and tapped the side of the damned thing. I couldn't move over any more and I didn't want to fall either. Luckily - he sped past but it was way to close for me. It filled me with a rage that fueled my workout (oh my God, I was so upset) but I really could have done without it. I'm working on the list of BDAAS members (Click on my log to see it). Please let me know if I need to add your name - I'll find it eventually but feel free to send a reminder and I'll add it ASAP. I'm also changing all the links so they take you to everyone's logs. I encourage you to follow Thor's lead and start leaving Inspires on people's workout logs. There is nothing more encouraging than a pat on the back and I know from personal experience how much a few inspires can get me over a hump or fuel the next workout,. So, make it your mission to start doing these for others which will encourage them to do it for you. Finally - with money being tight, I'm drinking crappy beer even on vacation. I won't resort to Molson and I haven't earned a Coors Lite penalty (I'll do anything to avoid that!) - but I have been sucking down Buds and PBR's. It's not terrible but I hope you will talk about the beer you are drinking so I can live vicariously through you! Prost!

Just remember to click on the RED REPLY  button on any inspires you reply to so the other person knows that they received a message back.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51178 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19870 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.