BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-07-27 5:09 PM
in reply to: #801361

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL

Hey Felipe, I was in Vail a month ago and ran a few times.  I felt out of breath too.   When I got home though, I felt so great running.  I couldn't believe how my breathing felt effortless.  I agree with Rich, your tri next weekend is going to be awesome!  Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!  It's key with the altitude!  Have a great race.

Ang

2007-07-27 8:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey check this link out! Several video clips explaining different portions of a triathlon by Dave Scott!

http://www.active.com/video/acceleradevideo.htm

Lots of good information!

Rich
2007-07-28 9:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hey, Rich! Got a question for you.  I've been thinking a lot about my next race which will be an oly.  At my first oly in April, I remember seeing lots of folks using various products and creams.  What are all these things for, and do you recommend any of them?

PS - My 7-year-old daughter did her first tri this morning, and placed 3rd in her division! I'm so proud!

2007-07-29 12:37 AM
in reply to: #905368

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
katzchen55 - 2007-07-28 9:05 PM

Hey, Rich! Got a question for you.  I've been thinking a lot about my next race which will be an oly.  At my first oly in April, I remember seeing lots of folks using various products and creams.  What are all these things for, and do you recommend any of them?

PS - My 7-year-old daughter did her first tri this morning, and placed 3rd in her division! I'm so proud!

Well first, a HUGE Congratulations to your daughter! That is GREAT!

With respect to the creams and various products, do you know where they were applying them? Was it men? women? both?

Common products that you see are lubricants like "Glide" which can be applied anywhere where there is chaffing and/or rubbing (like from the wetsuit.)

I use a couple of products:

I use PAM (or non-stick cooking spray...not the garlic flavor) which I spray on my arms and legs to help the wetsuit come off quickly.

I use "Utter Cream" for the chamios of my cycling shorts or tri shorts to eliminate chaffing and rubbing.....helps prevent saddle sore, too!

I use GLIDE on my neck and near the back of the under arm where the wetsuit seems to rub. If I'm just running, I use GLIDE on the inside of my upper legs where my thunder quads rub.

I use sunscreen on shoulders, neck, arms and legs.

I think that is it! Hope this helps!

Rich
2007-07-29 2:12 PM
in reply to: #904834

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Cyclingmaniac - 2007-07-27 9:41 PM

Hey check this link out! Several video clips explaining different portions of a triathlon by Dave Scott!

http://www.active.com/video/acceleradevideo.htm

Lots of good information!

Rich

Rich, these videos are awesome! Thanks so much for sharing! I'm going to forward this link on to my TNT team!!!
2007-07-29 2:18 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
hey Rich,

In www.thenationstriathlon.com, I see they have the bike section cross referenced in real time with elevation and distance. Pretty cool, though I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at here! I suppose it's a way to virtually check out my route before I get there, so I know what to expect?

There is more good news...they actually have a swim permit this year! (I guess they didn't get one in time for the innaugural race last year, which made the whole thing a dualathlon...oops!)

2007-07-29 3:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Thanks Andi!

The mileage and elevation charts are a great way to check out a course when you are first preparing for a race so that when you start your race specific training, you can train on terrain similar to what you will be racing on. It also helps you with a strategy on how to approach your bike course. If it is hilly.....spin it; If it is flat......time trial it; if it is hilly at first and flat in 2nd half.....spin and then time trial it.....etc.

Thanks for forwarding them to the TNT members, too. The videos are well done and focus on key concepts that are clearly explained and who else better to explain them!

Rich
2007-07-30 6:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
So how was everyone's weekend of training? (I don't think anyone raced; did they?)

For my birthday on Sunday, I went out in the pouring rain (much to my husbands dismay) and rode the race course 2 minutes faster than last week. :-)

Running after such a hilly course is painful, so I was committed to get the practice in but ran just 1 mile. The thunder and lightening was getting going full-force, so I decided it was time to head back.

Last weekend there were tons of other cyclists and runners out there practicing for the race. I may be slow -- but I was the ONLY person out there practicing on Sunday. I had a smile on my face the whole time...okay, except for when I was going downhill at 35mph -- Going, "ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow" from the stinging rain.

It was funny -- I spent the ride feeling filled with gratitude. Glad to be 40. Glad to be alive. Glad to have so much joy, good fortune and love in my life. Glad to have my road bike. Glad to have a body that can do all of these things. And glad that at 40, I don't take any of that for granted...so that when it all fades -- and all things do -- I will rejoice in knowing I made the most of what was given and what I helped created.

MAY THESE BRIGHT BLESSINGS RAIN DOWN ON YOU AS WELL, MY FRIENDS!!! XXXX Christine
2007-07-30 9:12 AM
in reply to: #906184

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Cris - you have such an amazing attitude!  I'm truly inspired by you. Oh, and another advantage of getting older is that you move up an age group in the races!  Being the youngest in your group, I think, has it's advantages..... I hope you enjoyed the rest of your birthday as much as you seemed to enjoy your workout, and you're hubby spoiled you rotten the whole day!

I did a nice long (for me) bike ride on Saturday - finally was able to dodge the rain showers long enough.  Sundays are rest/family/nap days for me.  I just got back from a long run this morning. I was slow but consistent.  I'm hoping to begin building back up some speed in the next month before my race in early Sept.  The rest of this week is a bit of a recovery week, which I'm looking forward to.  What's on tap for everyone else?

PS - New avatar, now that the TdF bike challenge is over.  I did meet 100% of my goal, by the way.  This is my favorite bike jersey - courtesy of Santa Claus!

2007-07-30 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
guys!!

It is so inspiring to hear all your stories-- Congrats on the little one finishing her first triathlon and coming in 3rd!!! that is amazing...hooked I imagine?? Andi hope Golf was fun. Angie whats up? Rich!!! how is your body feeling? any pain left?

Cris, HAPPY B DAY!!!! reading what you have to say brings soo much peace and a smile to my heart. I can relate after being so focussed studying, just enjoying running and swimming and biking, really puts life in perspective and what tunnel vision we sometimes have. You will rock your next race.

I had an awesome swim training on saturday ... i can breath bilaterally now!! I am suepr psyched by this! yesterday, I was exhausted and decided to just rest the day off. Felipe comes back soon (Thank god!!) and we will be able to plan the rest of the week, so that we can be ready for our next tri on Sunday!
Gotta go, but will talk soon guys, love you all!!!!
2007-07-30 9:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
KAT -- Congrats on meeting 100% of your goal. You must be thrilled! Enjoy your recovery week. How much do your workouts cut back for that?

CARU -- That's great news about the bilateral breathing. This is a BIG step and will really come in handy!

It's a great feeling when you have a good workout. You just know when you pulled it all out -- great job ladies!

We aren't nursing any injuries, right? This is something to be proud of too, I think. Good training involves listening to your body and not everyone does that. (I have a friend who cannot stop injurying himself -- simply keeps over-doing it!)

Thank you all for the kind words and b-day wishes. You guys are the best!

2007-07-30 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
KAT -- Tell us more about the TdF bike challenge...
2007-07-30 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich is COMPLETELY recovered!!!
Hey Gang!

Hope you all had a GREAT weekend! I attended a team workout on Saturday....Open Water Swim (OWS) and a bike ride down at the beach (Corona Del Mar Beach). It was beautiful and fun! With the exception of the traffic in Laguna Beach (bumper-to-bumper traffic in narrow streets and cars actually trying to prevent us from passing them) we had open road.

Sunday was a REST DAY! Woooo Hoooo...... read the newspaper.... I didn't know LA had a big newspaper (The LA Times).....it has sections I've never seen before (kidding, but it has been a long time.) While reading the newspaper, I had a Starbucks Coffee......Oooooh Life is Good! Went to a Team Meeting Sunday afternoon.....won a free entry ($165 fee) into the Los Angeles Triathlon! Woooo Hoooo.....looks like I'm racing AGAIN!

Caru asked about injuries or pain? I had no pain or injuries from the HIM. I only experienced some stiffness on Monday, but that was most likely due to sitting in a car for 9 to 10 hours travelling from Nor. Cal to So. Cal!

Christine: You animal riding in the rain on your 40th Birthday....you Go Girl...but, stay away from the white painted lane lines during rain....they can get slippery!

KAT: Love the new Avatar! Made me smile BIG time! Congrats on meeting your goals....so time to think about some new goals!

Caru: Congratulations on the bi-lateral breathing! That is a skill that takes a lot of difficulty to master.... GREAT Job! Have you heard from Felipe and his half-marathon? Wondering how the altitude affected him on his race.

That's it for now everyone! Swim, Ride, and Run hard!

Rich

2007-07-30 1:42 PM
in reply to: #906653

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

cmbcwb3 - 2007-07-30 11:22 AM KAT -- Tell us more about the TdF bike challenge...

The TdF challenge was an accountability challenge to encourage folks to get out and ride their bikes a bit more.  To get started, we had to decide how many bike rides (a.k.a. "stages" we would do while the tour was going. We were assigned to teams named after actual teams on the tour.  The winning team would have the greatest percentage of their combined members' goals met.  I committed to doing nine rides - 3 each week - while the tour was going. I completed my final ride on Saturday, so I met 100% of my goal.  I haven't seen the final results from my team or all of the other teams yet. Going in to week 3, my team was in 4th place.  The team captains were also keeping track of total mileage, hills vs. time trials, and other stuff like that just for fun.  I'll post the link to the final results in our thread once it's up.

The challenges in the Challenge Me Forum have been a lot of fun.  This is the second one that I've done.  I did an abs workout challenge that was similar in format back in May/June.  There's a lot of smack talk, and sometimes the losing teams are required to use an embarrasing avatar or something like that.  Mostly, it's just good accountability for getting workouts in and pushing yourself a bit more than usual. 

2007-07-30 2:43 PM

User image

Regular
Hey Guys.

First of all, Happy Belated B-day to Cris! I hope you all had a good weekend.

Well...I finished Bogota's Halft Marathon on Sunday and it was a very interesting experience.

Everything in my pre-race schedule went as planned. I was running this race with my parents and we managed to get some VIP bracelets which let us warm up with the elite runners and line up right behind them. This was great bearing in mind that this race was run by 43,000 people and the way they would line up the people to start was just in three categories (open, masters and plus) behind th elite. So we were very happy and lucky to be able to line up in the front.

The race was scheduled to start at 10 a.m and we got to the warm up zone at around 9 a.m which gave us plenty of time to warm up and stretch. It was amazing to be able to warm up next to Kenyan's such as Patrick Mackau (3rd best half-marathon record). A few minutes before the start time we all lined up and then off we went.

Although I was very excited, I knew that I had to stick to my plan and I started off slow and saw as hundreds of people passed by. My target was to run the first half of the race at a pace between 7:10 to 7:20 and then if possible pick up the pace and see what would happen. However since the first mile I felt extreme difficulty in maintaining my pace, my breathing wasnt there and my legs didn't feel good either.I desperately tried to get into a rythm but I just couldn't manage to do it. At the 10k point I was at 44 min which put me right on track, but still I just didn't feel well.

I kept on trying to get into a comfortable rythm but it was just impossible and I just began to fall apart, at around mile 8 I began to feel tight and it all went downhill from there.

I really struggled in the last 3 miles, I think I was going at a 9min pace, and finished in a very embarrassing 1:44 about 18 minutes more than my PR. I did not expect the altitude to hit me this hard and this was definately the hardest race I have ever run, even harder than my marathon which I ran in Tokyo in a 30 degree temp and cold rain.

Etheir way, it was an awesome experience and I enjoyed the race very much. Now, I'll just have to focus on making a good recovery for my second tri this weekend. Yeiiyaaahhhh!!

FR

Edited by feliperubio 2007-07-30 2:46 PM
2007-07-30 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Felipe!

So proud of you my lil one!! hahahahaha( he really doesn't like it when i call him my "little brother")
You will recover this week, and blow out this weekend on our second tri!!! hahah can't wait!

2007-07-30 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: It is all relative!
Hey Felipe!

Congratulations on making it through the race...... I would have crawled at that altitude. It is amazing how different conditions affect our bodies.....Again, CONGRATULATIONS!

NOW REALITY CHECK (and poking a little fun, too)!!!!!!! A 1:44? (How many of the gang want to line up behind me and slap Felipe into reality....just kidding!) Dude, it is all relative.....there are not THAT MANY people that can run a 2:44 let alone a 1:44 AND you were feeling poorly because of the altitude.....DON'T beat yourself up! (OK, everyone that can run a 1:44 half marathon, raise your hand!...... Yeah, I thought so!) It is a external condition that you had no control over! Now just SHAKE IT OFF..... Because, when you come down to sea level, you are going to smoke next week at your upcoming triathlon! I wish I was going to be there to see you in action on this one man! Hey CARU: See if you can't get someone to take pictures.....this should be poetry in motion!

Felipe, you did an AWESOME job given the conditions/altitude......you're a true Athlete in my book!

Rich
2007-07-31 7:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
I second everything Rich said.

You did fantastic, Felipe!
2007-07-31 8:35 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Can I be first in line to "slap" Felipe?!!!  YOU DID FANTASTIC!  I can only dream of running a 1/2 mary in 1:44!!!  Running in higher altitudes is very different especially since you live/run/breath at sea level! 

I didn't get much training in after Saturday's bike ride.  My neighbors had an emergency so I kept their 4 month old beginning Sunday evening until Monday evening.  Let's just say I had a workout, just not running/biking/swimming!  Thankfully, my neighbor is okay...we thought he was having a stroke at 30 years old!  He's still in the hospital where they're running more test, but hopefully he'll come home today.  I got to see what it's like having 4 kids...I have to say, I loved it!  The more the merrier...or the crazier...whatever! 

I'm off to the gym for bodypump and stationary bike.  Have a great workout week!   

2007-07-31 9:32 AM
in reply to: #907865

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
yoblondie - 2007-07-31 8:35 AM

Can I be first in line to "slap" Felipe?!!!  YOU DID FANTASTIC! 

I got to see what it's like having 4 kids...I have to say, I loved it!  The more the merrier...or the crazier...whatever! 

I'm off to the gym for bodypump and stationary bike.  Have a great workout week!   

OK Angela.... you're first in line! (Kidding Felipe...LOL!!) Hey Angela, I have seven brothers and sisters...... ya want a couple of them......their still children at heart ......but, I won't give you the certifiable ones! That would be mean!!!!!

Have a GREAT DAY!!!!!!
2007-07-31 11:12 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Hey Rich, I have 4 older brothers.  I'm the only and youngest girl.  I think my "idea" of a large family is a little skewed!  Let's just say I had a very good life...a little spoiled by all my brothers and dad!  (husband had tough shoes to follow, but is doing well!)  Kids keep me young and playful.   And frankly, they're so dang funny!  I'll take any of the siblings that are potty trained! heeheehee

2007-07-31 1:02 PM
in reply to: #908150

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
yoblondie - 2007-07-31 11:12 AM

Hey Rich, I have 4 older brothers.  I'm the only and youngest girl.  I think my "idea" of a large family is a little skewed!  Let's just say I had a very good life...a little spoiled by all my brothers and dad!  (husband had tough shoes to follow, but is doing well!)  Kids keep me young and playful.   And frankly, they're so dang funny!  I'll take any of the siblings that are potty trained! heeheehee

Well....THAT may be a problem! Teeeheeettteehhheee!
2007-08-01 8:07 AM
in reply to: #908355

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Hey there folks!  There is a boys vs. girls swimming/running challenge going on now in the "Challenge Me" thread. Losing team uses a photo of themselves in a Speedo for the month of September. Christine and I are in and are looking forward to seeing some seriously embarrassing avatars from the boys next month.  Anyone else care to join us?
2007-08-01 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
RICH -- My schedule is really starting to get to me. (Not enough sleep; too many things on my mind; always too much to do; not training as much as I would like to.)

What do I do?

Kat talked about her last "challenge me" forum -- so I am going to give that a try -- it looks like it could add some much-needed fun. I encourage you all to check it out -- August is a boys vs girls run/swim challenge. (See Kat's link to it a few blogs up.)
2007-08-01 11:37 AM
in reply to: #909313

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Training and Time Management
cmbcwb3 - 2007-08-01 8:10 AM

RICH -- My schedule is really starting to get to me. (Not enough sleep; too many things on my mind; always too much to do; not training as much as I would like to.)

What do I do?

Rich's Response: There are two issues: Time Management and "too many things on my mind".
Let's deal with the easy one.....too many things on the mind.....simply get a pad of paper with pencil/pen....when something crosses your mind that you have to remember, write it down.....you essentially are creating a "To Do" list. Ask yourself, is this something that is urgent and I can't wait to get this done (i.e. it is urgent) or can it wait until I have "time" to do it! Take care of the life threatening issues first and if you can wait, take care of it at a later designated time. (More on this to follow).

OK.....so time management is a real issue which faces triathletes. The solution is not packing in as much as possible until you are exhausted. This takes planning! Here are a few suggestions:

1) Write down those areas of your life that are important (i.e. Family, Faith-Based activities, Job, Triathlon Training, etc.)

2) Rank the items in order of importance

3) Plan out your month......a detailed calendar that shows times for each day (like a Day Timer) will be helpful....... as an example, plot out your family responsibilities and family fun time..... don't forget to block out sleep time.

If you have little ones, family fun time can be taking a nap together....snuggling up with the little ones is not only comforting to them but also to you ....brings down the blood pressure (in most instances). Family time can also include time doing something together (like a chore). Family time can also include have family members help you with your workout. I had my son go with me to my run workouts so that he could take pictures of me running....we then looked at them together and found out which resembled the best form (technique). On the following workouts, he could give me feedback that I wasn't picking up the knees, footstrike was on the heel, and body alignment.....he became my "coach". He loved it!

With respect to your "To Do List" that we first covered, make sure to schedule some time based upon your "To-Do" list.......Can you do everything on your "To Do" list at a designated time slot during your week.......like Friday afternoons or Sunday afternoon?

4) Depending upon the level of support from the family, you may need to plot out your training last....which is not untypical. You may end up with fewer workouts that you think you need.....the key with fewer workouts is that they are concentrated and focused.

(Another random idea is that you may ask your husband or partner to help you plan out your calendar. It assimilates them into the planning process, heightens awareness of how busy you really are, and may uncover an untapped resource that can take on something for you.)

You may be amazed that you have more time that you imagined. I hope this brief time management info helped. If you need more, let me know.

Christine wrote: Kat talked about her last "challenge me" forum -- so I am going to give that a try -- it looks like it could add some much-needed fun. I encourage you all to check it out -- August is a boys vs girls run/swim challenge. (See Kat's link to it a few blogs up.)

Rich wrote: KAT also mentioned that the loosing team (male or female) would have to have avatars of them in their speedos(?).....I think it is against the law for an overweight 51 year old male to publically display a picture of himself in a speedo purposely. I think it might even be a constitutional amendment prohibiting such. BUT, I'll look into the run/swim challenge.

Rich
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46