BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2008-01-26 4:49 PM
in reply to: #1177151

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Subject: RE: medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-01-26 11:19 AM

that is hilarious....my husband wants to take part...but it is a little far! hey Eric and Chris, they need a medic....! Now I would do that for a Shipley Doughnut...but not real fond of Crispy Kremes...which is a good thing! doughnuts seem to go right to my buttox area...hehe TMI!!!!!

Yeah, I'm not a Krispy Kreme lover either. Prefer Dunkin' Donuts. Never heard of Shipleys, so they must not sell them around here.

(Actually, they don't have Dunkin Donuts here either. But I grew up with 'em.)

The Krispy Kreme Challenge - well, I've never seen it, but I don't REALLY want to imagine. Eating a dozen donuts and running 4 miles??? Um. Ew.

2008-01-26 4:50 PM
in reply to: #1177153

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-01-26 11:22 AM

D001 - 2008-01-25 5:27 PM
medic0020 - 2008-01-25 2:31 PM Wow--Julie just said her challenge friends are much cooler than her mentor group. Her mentor group that will be here for her the whole year and not just 31 days--the mentor group that will pick her up when her spirits are done and celebrate with her with they are high--the group......Ok, enough guilt. We're just glad you're sharing some of your time with us

Um, her challenge group is made up of some hard-core BT addicts. I think they'll be around for the whole year. LOL (And yes, I purposely put her on that team. I just felt like she'd get along well with that group. )

wow what was I smoking when I said that....noone would ever measure up to my mentor team! YOU GUYS ROCK! I just got caught in the moment! hehe!

I'll tell Beth you said that. And Lyssa. And ChipitMuffin. And, um, everyone else on your team. LOL

2008-01-26 4:54 PM
in reply to: #1177199

User image

Champion
Taser-World
medic0020 - 2008-01-26 12:37 PM

It sounds like fun but sadly the nutrition information is enough to dissuade me. This healthy living crap really cuts into my good eating

Running 2 miles, eating a dozen donuts, then running 2 more miles - all in less than an hour.... That sounds like FUN to you? Hm. LOL

It would be fun for me to watch someone ELSE do it. But I can sort of imagine the results if *I* tried it. Those donuts would... well, put it this way - I wouldn't have to worry about much of the caloric value, 'cause I'm pretty sure the majority of donuts would eventually be left behind on the sidewalk.

(Can you imagine walking down those sidewalks on Monday morning? Ewwwwwwwwwww. And since the area hasn't gotten much rain lately, the "evidence" might remain for awhile! Eww again!)

2008-01-26 4:57 PM
in reply to: #1177479

User image

Champion
Taser-World
February Challenge Announcement has been posted. It's similar to the January Challenge, but with a penalty avatar change for the losing teams. (It's not a bad change - I mean, it could be worse. I could require that all losing teams adopt an avatar like my current one. LOL)

2008-01-26 5:13 PM
in reply to: #1088860

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

I get on an airplane for half a day and miss an entire string of conversations.

Chris, Best to your friend and good of you to be there with them!  When you are in the breach, a calm head is a very good thing.  I learned that the hard way.

Julie, you noted the health issues that many of us had.  I have noticed that in endurance athletes there are a lot of us that have had them.  I think that once you have had life challenged, you drive to be healthy.  I don't know what the odds are but I know at least four of us are cancer survivors in this group.  Four out of nine seems like a lot...

Pam, are you out there and OK... I know school just started but it can't be that bad...

Good job to both Amy's on your effort...

Dee, when do we get a picture of you???  The queen of posts is a mystery... or do you like it that way???

Eric, good of you to be so supportive to all of us.

Has anyone heard from Nate??? I think he has vanished...

Back in Ohio until Wednesday.  I will do my tempo and cruise intervals on the treadmill.  Not a first choice but I am not in the mood to run outside.  Living in AZ has turned me into a wimp.

Be good my friends, I am off to take my daughter out for a birthday dinner...

2008-01-26 5:41 PM
in reply to: #1177505

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
etknowles - 2008-01-26 3:13 PM

I get on an airplane for half a day and miss an entire string of conversations.

Chris, Best to your friend and good of you to be there with them!  When you are in the breach, a calm head is a very good thing.  I learned that the hard way.

Julie, you noted the health issues that many of us had.  I have noticed that in endurance athletes there are a lot of us that have had them.  I think that once you have had life challenged, you drive to be healthy.  I don't know what the odds are but I know at least four of us are cancer survivors in this group.  Four out of nine seems like a lot...

Pam, are you out there and OK... I know school just started but it can't be that bad...

Good job to both Amy's on your effort...

Dee, when do we get a picture of you???  The queen of posts is a mystery... or do you like it that way???

Eric, good of you to be so supportive to all of us.

Has anyone heard from Nate??? I think he has vanished...

Back in Ohio until Wednesday.  I will do my tempo and cruise intervals on the treadmill.  Not a first choice but I am not in the mood to run outside.  Living in AZ has turned me into a wimp.

Be good my friends, I am off to take my daughter out for a birthday dinner...

Emerson (aka running man)....true about the drive to be healthy...and it is rather crazy that four out of the nine of us are cancer patients! makes you stop and think!!!

Pam...I am also worried...is your foot ok? hoping we will hear from you soon....missing ya!

Amy...how are the naptime runs going? I feel as though I could maybe do one today....nap that is and dream of running....fast! ;o)

Dee...My little sparkly Dee...I don't know what Emerson is talking about....is that not your picture? I am sooo bummed. I love Billy and thought that I had an old goat in my group!? you mean that is not your real pic??? hehe Remember my four letter word of the day for you! hehe have a great weekend and for your sake...I hope it goes really REALLY sssslllooooooooooooooooooooooow! ;o)

Eric, glad your wife was a good detective and found the card! thanks for all the encouragement and daily inspires! you are a great leader, cheerleader, motivator...oh Captain....our Captain! thx!

Mike...really good to hear from you even though it is far and in-between. Know life gets busy, but make sure to slow down and smell the roses, coffee....keep up the great workouts!! You are doing great!

Chris...good for you for being there for your buddy! Hope he is coming around! What a good friend for being the medical interpretor for the family. I am sure that is something they will never forget! Have a great weekend~!

Nathan...I am going to continue to send you inspire me...hope that one day you will surprise me and let us know how you are doing...???

Amy...been missing you. I figure you are either deathly ill, or traveling...because my favorite cheerleader and first to always leave an inspiring message has been MIA! hope to hear from you soon.....and that things are ok...i have not been on your training log to see if you are just to busy to do a fly by....hope you are having a great weekend!

thats it for me....I am pooped...I  just got back from a 37 mile road ride....up near the big sequoias...very hilly and very fun! woo hoo! time to go figure what is for dinner and hang out by the fire....nite all and have a good weekend!!!!

2008-01-26 5:45 PM
in reply to: #1177470

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
D001 - 2008-01-26 2:49 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-01-26 11:19 AM that is hilarious....my husband wants to take part...but it is a little far! hey Eric and Chris, they need a medic....! Now I would do that for a Shipley Doughnut...but not real fond of Crispy Kremes...which is a good thing! doughnuts seem to go right to my buttox area...hehe TMI!!!!!

Yeah, I'm not a Krispy Kreme lover either. Prefer Dunkin' Donuts. Never heard of Shipleys, so they must not sell them around here. (Actually, they don't have Dunkin Donuts here either. But I grew up with 'em.) The Krispy Kreme Challenge - well, I've never seen it, but I don't REALLY want to imagine. Eating a dozen donuts and running 4 miles??? Um. Ew.

Dunkin Donuts are the bomb! good thing they are not around these here parts! I remember go to the head of the Charles in Boston and they were on every corner....I was a happy girl!! ) now I am paying the price...too many donuts! ;o)

2008-01-26 5:50 PM
in reply to: #1177472

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
D001 - 2008-01-26 2:50 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-01-26 11:22 AM
D001 - 2008-01-25 5:27 PM
medic0020 - 2008-01-25 2:31 PM Wow--Julie just said her challenge friends are much cooler than her mentor group. Her mentor group that will be here for her the whole year and not just 31 days--the mentor group that will pick her up when her spirits are done and celebrate with her with they are high--the group......Ok, enough guilt. We're just glad you're sharing some of your time with us

Um, her challenge group is made up of some hard-core BT addicts. I think they'll be around for the whole year. LOL (And yes, I purposely put her on that team. I just felt like she'd get along well with that group. )

wow what was I smoking when I said that....noone would ever measure up to my mentor team! YOU GUYS ROCK! I just got caught in the moment! hehe!

I'll tell Beth you said that. And Lyssa. And ChipitMuffin. And, um, everyone else on your team. LOL

what....you no good trader you! I see how you are! ;o) don't make me whoop out my list of four letter words that I am thinking may be a good description of you right now....hehe!

2008-01-26 6:49 PM
in reply to: #1177505

User image

Champion
Taser-World
etknowles - 2008-01-26 6:13 PM
Dee, when do we get a picture of you??? The queen of posts is a mystery... or do you like it that way???

<-- Maybe this is me?

2008-01-26 6:54 PM
in reply to: #1177544

User image

Champion
Taser-World

Krispy Kreme Challenge Update! (Run 2 miles, eat a dozen donuts, run 2 more miles.)

The winner completed the challenge in 31 minutes and 20 seconds!

(I haven't seen a news summary yet, but the local TV channel has some pics on their website now. (And no, they don't show anyone "decorating" the sidewalk.))

2008-01-26 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1177610

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Dee, you are WAY too funny.  If that really is you... then the braces are a really good idea!

Being with all of you is a wonderful experience.  I look forward to reading the stories and sharing.  I look forward to, hopefully, meeting "abud7373" in March and "Girl Passing on Left (aka Mike's sister) in April.  It will be a real privilege.  Amy (of Indiana), I don't know what part of the state you are from but we should compare notes on races.  I will be doing several while in Cincinnati this summer.  And, that is not to far from Indiana.

Good night everyone from cold and gray Cincinnati

2008-01-26 8:36 PM
in reply to: #1177702

Desmoines Iowa
Hi: Emerson, I figured out what was causing me the hamstring problem. I have been using the evolution style of running and I have been pulling my legs through with just my hams. These muscles are not large enough for prolonged miles. Well, the short of it is you must combine your glutes with your hams, have been working on the technique, no pain anymore.

Hi all:

Well how is everyone? Sorry I have been a little remiss on chats, but am alive and well and looking forward to some more posts. Well can you believe January is nearly over, it has been very cold here, no global warming in Iowa this year. WE're supposed to get a break in the weather looks like I may get to get out and ride, I just bought some different wheels for my road bike on ebay can't wait to try them out. Well will sign off for now, but will be watching for posts thru this evening. "Carpe Diem" Mike
2008-01-26 10:25 PM
in reply to: #1177748

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

stilltri-ing - 2008-01-26 6:36 PM Hi: Emerson, I figured out what was causing me the hamstring problem. I have been using the evolution style of running and I have been pulling my legs through with just my hams. These muscles are not large enough for prolonged miles. Well, the short of it is you must combine your glutes with your hams, have been working on the technique, no pain anymore. Hi all: Well how is everyone? Sorry I have been a little remiss on chats, but am alive and well and looking forward to some more posts. Well can you believe January is nearly over, it has been very cold here, no global warming in Iowa this year. WE're supposed to get a break in the weather looks like I may get to get out and ride, I just bought some different wheels for my road bike on ebay can't wait to try them out. Well will sign off for now, but will be watching for posts thru this evening. "Carpe Diem" Mike

Hi Mike...really great to hear from you...no worries about being a quieter member...we are just glad you are back. Look forward to hearing about your work outs. I just hope that you are seeing some progress and are staying on track...and are reaching some of your short term and long term goals.... Hope you have a good weekend!!!

2008-01-27 8:58 AM
in reply to: #1177748

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

stilltri-ing - 2008-01-26 7:36 PM Hi: Emerson, I figured out what was causing me the hamstring problem. I have been using the evolution style of running and I have been pulling my legs through with just my hams. These muscles are not large enough for prolonged miles. Well, the short of it is you must combine your glutes with your hams, have been working on the technique, no pain anymore. "Carpe Diem" Mike

Mike, glad to hear it...  It had given me some concern and then when you went silent for a while. I was hoping you were not injured further.  To figure it out is great.  I am adding weight training -- just beginning -- to my running and it is just the opposite for me.  Every time I do some weights, I find muscles I did not even know that I had...  especially the next day!

But, I know that it will reduce my overall chance of injury...

After all the travel yesterday, I took our youngest daughter out for a late birthday dinner (she was 24 a couple of weeks ago) and finely got to bed around 11:30.  Just got up...  11 hours later, I think my body was telling me something!!!  I am so rested I don't know what to do?  Maybe go back to bed... no, just kidding... the day progresses...

PS:  Does anyone have any experience with soft tissue ergonomic neck injuries.  I think a year of tilting my head back to read the monitor -- I now require bifocals -- has given me some sort of whip-lash type injury.  I have a nagging pain in my neck and can't get rid of it... I look forward to any advice...

Edited by etknowles 2008-01-27 9:05 AM
2008-01-27 9:28 AM
in reply to: #1178119

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
etknowles - 2008-01-27 8:58 AM

stilltri-ing - 2008-01-26 7:36 PM Hi: Emerson, I figured out what was causing me the hamstring problem. I have been using the evolution style of running and I have been pulling my legs through with just my hams. These muscles are not large enough for prolonged miles. Well, the short of it is you must combine your glutes with your hams, have been working on the technique, no pain anymore. "Carpe Diem" Mike

Mike, glad to hear it...  It had given me some concern and then when you went silent for a while. I was hoping you were not injured further.  To figure it out is great.  I am adding weight training -- just beginning -- to my running and it is just the opposite for me.  Every time I do some weights, I find muscles I did not even know that I had...  especially the next day!

But, I know that it will reduce my overall chance of injury...

After all the travel yesterday, I took our youngest daughter out for a late birthday dinner (she was 24 a couple of weeks ago) and finely got to bed around 11:30.  Just got up...  11 hours later, I think my body was telling me something!!!  I am so rested I don't know what to do?  Maybe go back to bed... no, just kidding... the day progresses...

PS:  Does anyone have any experience with soft tissue ergonomic neck injuries.  I think a year of tilting my head back to read the monitor -- I now require bifocals -- has given me some sort of whip-lash type injury.  I have a nagging pain in my neck and can't get rid of it... I look forward to any advice...

i vote for not working---As long as they'd still pay you, that seems like the ideal solution for me!  Ok, maybe not so practical, but sounds like a good one to me.

2008-01-27 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1178146

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

i vote for not working---As long as they'd still pay you, that seems like the ideal solution for me!  Ok, maybe not so practical, but sounds like a good one to me.

Nice thought Eric, but then I would have to get off BT as well... what a disaster that would be, my training would go down the drain and I would wither to dust without Dee's wonderful glitter.  I am rearranging all my monitors, etc. much lower to see if that can help.  Also, I am paid from consulting revenue, not Citi, so if I quite working the pay would get a little thin...

Edited by etknowles 2008-01-27 10:48 AM

2008-01-27 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1178222

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
etknowles - 2008-01-27 8:47 AM

Nice thought Eric, but then I would have to get off BT as well... what a disaster that would be, my training would go down the drain and I would wither to dust without Dee's wonderful glitter.  I am rearranging all my monitors, etc. much lower to see if that can help.  Also, I am paid from consulting revenue, not Citi, so if I quite working the pay would get a little thin...

Emerson...not sure about the neck....but I took osteoperosis for a pinched shoulder muscle and later for a knee issue and it knocked them both out in a matter of days...it is over the counter and is a muscle relaxer....can't hurt to try this...I was amazed how quickly it helped me...and I was in much pain! Last november I could barely walk at the funeral when one of the triathletes who was a nurse recommended this to me....ask your pharmacist...they are amazingly smart and they know you almost better then your doctor...hope you feel better....the only other thing is no more use of the computer! hehe!! but that would be our loss...we would miss you dearly!!! ;o)

2008-01-27 12:07 PM

User image

Champion
Taser-World
etknowles - 2008-01-27 9:58 AM
PS: Does anyone have any experience with soft tissue ergonomic neck injuries. I think a year of tilting my head back to read the monitor -- I now require bifocals -- has given me some sort of whip-lash type injury. I have a nagging pain in my neck and can't get rid of it... I look forward to any advice...

Could you have created trigger points in the muscles that support the head?

Because I'd think that whip-lash was caused by a sudden, violent movement. And that's not what you did. (Unless you were reading REALLY fast and jerking your head around while doing it! LOL)

Trigger points can occur when you stress a muscle. It's basically like a small muscle cramp, but you may not notice the cramp. (Unlike when it occurs in a calf muscle during a run!)

Maybe do an internet search and see what you come up with?

2008-01-27 12:20 PM
in reply to: #1178300

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
D001 - 2008-01-27 10:07 AM
etknowles - 2008-01-27 9:58 AM PS: Does anyone have any experience with soft tissue ergonomic neck injuries. I think a year of tilting my head back to read the monitor -- I now require bifocals -- has given me some sort of whip-lash type injury. I have a nagging pain in my neck and can't get rid of it... I look forward to any advice...

(Unless you were reading REALLY fast and jerking your head around while doing it! LOL)

Dee this is exactly why we need you around more....the miles of smiles we receive when reading your posts....!!! I don't think that Emerson has turret syndrome...but maybe...hehe

2008-01-27 3:29 PM
in reply to: #1178317

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-01-27 11:20 AM
D001 - 2008-01-27 10:07 AM
etknowles - 2008-01-27 9:58 AM PS: Does anyone have any experience with soft tissue ergonomic neck injuries. I think a year of tilting my head back to read the monitor -- I now require bifocals -- has given me some sort of whip-lash type injury. I have a nagging pain in my neck and can't get rid of it... I look forward to any advice...

(Unless you were reading REALLY fast and jerking your head around while doing it! LOL)

Dee this is exactly why we need you around more....the miles of smiles we receive when reading your posts....!!! I don't think that Emerson has turret syndrome...but maybe...hehe

No, I don't have turrets syndrome -- at least not today.  I will try the medicine you suggested.  There is a tender spot right between two vertebrae right at the base of my neck, that is why I figured it was a "whip-lash" style inflamation.  Thanks for the suggestions...

2008-01-27 3:41 PM

Desmoines Iowa
Hi Emerson, glad to here you are adding some weight trng, I'm sure it will help your running, probably will make you faster. Would'nt surprise me to see your times improving in only a few weeks. I know about those muscles you did'nt no were there. That soreness is known as DMOS
Delayed muscle onset soreness. I have had to totally revamp my weight trng. It has been a challenge at times. For years I hoisted heavy weight, then as I became more interested in Triathlon I found that heavy weight trng is not condusive to the sport, after all my football and power lifting days our long since gone so I weight trng for triathlon now. Mike

2008-01-27 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1178497

User image

Champion
Taser-World
etknowles - 2008-01-27 4:29 PM
No, I don't have turrets syndrome -- at least not today. I will try the medicine you suggested. There is a tender spot right between two vertebrae right at the base of my neck, that is why I figured it was a "whip-lash" style inflamation. Thanks for the suggestions...

Yeah see.... that's the tricky thing about trigger points --> where it hurts may not be where the problem lies. It's referred pain, and can be fairly far from where the "soreness" is located.

For example, soreness at the back of the shoulder can be caused by a trigger point on the side of the neck. Bottom of the foot pain may be caused by a tight muscle in the back of the calf....

2008-01-27 4:05 PM
in reply to: #1178518

User image

Champion
Taser-World
It's 5 PM, and it looks like I won't get a swim in today. I feel guilty about this. I want to swim. I like swimming.... And I need to swim to hit my Jan goal. But I'm sitting here working. And I still have several hours of work to do. *sigh* So part of my "not going" is due to work....

But to be honest, a large part of it is that I don't feel like dealing with all the screaming kids in the pool, and the toys that they throw, and the way that they run across the deck and JUMP on top of kickboards in the pool. (Often landing with their heads just inches from the cement wall.)

There are no parents or lifeguards around to supervise these kids. I swear the parents have started using the pool as a "day care center" - they drop their kids off, then go to the other side of the facility to work out. The "regular swimmers" have complained, but it hasn't changed a thing. (They'll wait until some kid cracks his head open. I sure hope I'm not in the pool when it happens, too.)

This has been going on for awhile, but it just keeps getting worse. And I guess that today, I just didn't feel like dealing with it. I SO wish there was another pool around, but there isn't....
I really love swimming, but I'm annoyed at this facility. And the stress at work isn't making me more patient with it....

*sigh*

Thanks for letting me vent. (I'm not usually so negative. It's a combination of the pool and work stress, I think.)

*sigh again*

I think I'm going to bike for next month's challenge. I never thought I'd turn down the opportunity to swim, but.... I don't even have a "real bike." I've got an old stationary bike only.

(It could be worse. I could be considering a RUNNING goal next month. LOL)

OK, vent over. Back to work........

2008-01-27 4:22 PM
in reply to: #1178536

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

D001 - 2008-01-27 2:05 PM It's 5 PM, and it looks like I won't get a swim in today. I feel guilty about this. I want to swim. I like swimming.... And I need to swim to hit my Jan goal. But I'm sitting here working. And I still have several hours of work to do. *sigh* So part of my "not going" is due to work.... But to be honest, a large part of it is that I don't feel like dealing with all the screaming kids in the pool, and the toys that they throw, and the way that they run across the deck and JUMP on top of kickboards in the pool. (Often landing with their heads just inches from the cement wall.) There are no parents or lifeguards around to supervise these kids. I swear the parents have started using the pool as a "day care center" - they drop their kids off, then go to the other side of the facility to work out. The "regular swimmers" have complained, but it hasn't changed a thing. (They'll wait until some kid cracks his head open. I sure hope I'm not in the pool when it happens, too.) This has been going on for awhile, but it just keeps getting worse. And I guess that today, I just didn't feel like dealing with it. I SO wish there was another pool around, but there isn't.... I really love swimming, but I'm annoyed at this facility. And the stress at work isn't making me more patient with it.... *sigh* Thanks for letting me vent. (I'm not usually so negative. It's a combination of the pool and work stress, I think.) *sigh again* I think I'm going to bike for next month's challenge. I never thought I'd turn down the opportunity to swim, but.... I don't even have a "real bike." I've got an old stationary bike only. (It could be worse. I could be considering a RUNNING goal next month. LOL) OK, vent over. Back to work........

That sucks...about the kids...that is why I try and swim while the munchkins are in school...but as you can see I have not been doing much swimming....brrrrrrrrr too cold for me...freeze my a** off...hey maybe I should go swimming then!?! what am I waiting for!?

Dee thought you may want to rethink the biking thing....I just found a picture of you before the braces and saw how fast you are......but just like George, George, George of the jungle.......

watch out for that.......

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2781136634945251547&q=running+funny&total=26028&start=30&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=8

.....tree! hehe

2008-01-27 6:55 PM
in reply to: #1178554

User image

Champion
Taser-World

Julie -

OUCH! 

Now I understand why you were singing George of the Jungle! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  

of 73