BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2008-03-25 1:53 PM
in reply to: #1292118

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME

aquinn - 2008-03-25 12:35 PM OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO- I love me the Melting Pot- another thing we usually do when in Florida!!!

Next year you'll have to plan better and spend some time over here with ME!!!! 

2008-03-25 2:20 PM
in reply to: #1292557

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Sounds fun to me!
2008-03-25 6:25 PM
in reply to: #1098772

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

OK--- this beginner triathlete is throwin' this one out to the group.......

what am I going to WEAR next Saturday? I will have all week and all the time in the world to scout out stuff, but right now, I've got NOTHING. Do I want a tri suit? What are my other options? I think I am buying a wetsuit- which I need to get long-sleeved for May-June swimming here (our lakes are still wetsuit legal in JUNE).

I'm sorta lost here, folks. Help me out.

2008-03-25 10:14 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

I wore a long sleeve wetsuit in PCB last Nov.  I have heard about people getting too warm but never experienced it myself.

I like the Tri-Suit as long as I don't need to use the bathroom, otherwise some two piece combination.  At a minimum, I would want some comfortable tri shorts.  For the top, you probably have more options.  At my first race I went topless on the swim (it was a pool swim) and bike and threw on a tank top for the run ( I don't think I would recommend that for you though).

One race I did,  the start temps were in the 40's.  It was my first race in my tri-suit.  I ended up buying a long sleeve C9 (Champion wicking shirt) a couple of sizes smaller than normal so it wouldn't flap around on the bike.  I put that on in T1 and wore it the rest of the way.

Don't know if these ramblings make and sense or provide what you were seeking, but you don't have to have it all as you get started (although it may make you feel more confident to look sharp)

How awesome to be racing in just 2 weeks.... 

2008-03-26 5:53 AM
in reply to: #1293258

User image

Master
South Florida
aquinn - 2008-03-25 7:25 PM

OK--- this beginner triathlete is throwin' this one out to the group.......

what am I going to WEAR next Saturday? I will have all week and all the time in the world to scout out stuff, but right now, I've got NOTHING. Do I want a tri suit? What are my other options? I think I am buying a wetsuit- which I need to get long-sleeved for May-June swimming here (our lakes are still wetsuit legal in JUNE).

I'm sorta lost here, folks. Help me out.

I"m guessing the race will be wetsuit legal still for your race.  Guessing!  Since it is a sprint, the only issue with bathroom should be BEFORE the race, so it's really not a big deal to wear a tri suit.  I have 2 that I love - I think they're both zoots.  I have also worn a one piece tyr tri swim suit (like a speedo with a small pad but find the pad not really necessary), a suit with a skirt sport transition skirt, 2xU compression shorts (no pad) - love em!! with a full tri top (meaning comes down to the shorts) - like the fit of the desoto tri tops.  They all worked fine, though I think a few of my desotos are too loose but oh well.

The main thing is to find something you feel comfortable in (meaning that the seams don't rub, the bottoms don't give you a wedgie, the top stays put and you feel like you look fine in it).  You don't want to wonder if your boob is hanging out or "does this trisuit make me look fat?"   Also, whatever you get, try it out for all 3 legs of the race, even if just for a few minutes in each. 

Hope that helps! 

On a side note, my fingers are like sausages after the Melting Pot last night!  My friend Randy was working so he served us for a lovely evening of fondue.  Favorites:  the cheddar with granny smiths;  the mushrooms stuffed with the goddess; the potatoes with the yogurt curry sauce; rum something chicken; the brocooli with the curry sauce..anything with the curry sauce!! - all cooked in the coq au vin; and of course the chocolate.  Oh the chocolate.  Could go back and just have that!!

I bolded my answer above...I posted within your quote   what a newbie

Edited by Mimir98 2008-03-26 5:56 AM
2008-03-26 9:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
hi from Korea!! The trip is going well but they keep us busy, they even made me go to mass on Easter. I'm not Catholic. I'm in a primarily Confucian/Buddhist/Shamanistic country that allows people to mix and match that with Christianity and they made me go to church. Good to know that mass sounds the same in Korean.

Amy, I'd so no to the tri suit, I dislike the whole once piece thing if I ever have to pee, and really, that could be in any race. I've been wearing sleevless wetsuits in upstate for awhile and those june races are COLD, but totally survivable, so if you are looking to save money you can probably go sleeveless. I'd get a pair of tri shorts and top you know can be okay wet to wear under you wetsuit. I have an UnderArmor sleeveless top with a mesh/silver back that I love, no pockets, but it doesn't chafe and dries in a snap. I wear it with an underarmor single layer sports bra (but I'm also built like a 12 year old boy) and have been very happy.

Good luck!!

I wish I had good stories for you all, its been very educational and even inspiring but I've seen Korea from the inside of bus with professors and the like talking the whole time. One big thing is that I made the paper in Cheongju. We went to the printing museum (Korea is the first to have metal type on paper printing, I know you think it was Guttenburg, but its not) and we did some hands on stuff there. Evidently it was a big deal locally to have American educators at their museum and four news crews came out. I ended up in two of local papers and on TV. It helps to be the young (relatively) blonde girl in the group!! I'm famous in Korea!! I attached the pdf if you care to view some language you can't read and me holding my print.

(untitled1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
untitled1.jpg (32KB - 24 downloads)

2008-03-26 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Kim, I'm honored I now know a celebrity....you've now had your 15 min of fame.   Glad the trip is going well.

Amy,  I would not do the one piece suit either.  It may only be a sprint now but in the future you may want to go longer and not want to invest in more gear.  Get something that will grow with your talents.  I wear tri shorts (very light pad) and a sport bra top usually (like Kim I'm not endowed as you are so that may not work for you. )  I HATE being sweaty and that helps.  However, when my abs aren't in the shape I want I'll wear a fitted tri top.  Whatever I wear I wear it under my wetsuit.  I don't normally put anything else on when I'm done since wet skin and dry clothes make for a VERY LONG transition time.  If you decide it will be too cold to go direct from swim to bike without another top practice coming out of the water and putting the top on. 

Are you buying or renting a wetsuit?  Practice swimming with it.  You feel like a floating ping pong ball.    Get body glide and make sure you put it on your neck, wrists and ankles.  This will help when you take it off and most importantly prevents chafing.  A tip to help you put it on...carry a plastic grocery bag.  Put it on your foot as you put it through the leg and the pull it out the bottom.  It makes it easier to put on. 

Good Luck!!!

2008-03-26 12:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Wow, everybody! Good advice! Thanks. If anyone thinks of anything else, just let me know. I plan to really focus on my training over the next two weeks- in addition to the time and the weather, I will also have a live-in nanny in the form of my husband's 15 yo niece that we are bringing. It's gonna be like my own little retreat.

Now let's hope I can find some good stores that have tri stuff. Shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think.

2008-03-26 1:12 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

Ok, I have to beg to differ...I have worn a tri suit for sprints - Ironman...and LOVED IT...so if you are at all interested in one, I wouldn't totally discount it.  Really, it's not a big deal to use the bathroom IMO.  I find them to be uber comfy and they don't ride up anywhere...I can't do the shorts/ bra thing because, well, my daughter was 3 weeks late and close to 9 pounds at birth and she sort of ruined that for me Cry.  Try some different stuff, see what you like as far as comfort and looks go.

Kim- you look so cute flanked by those old guys!!!  That's odd they made you go to mass!  Was it standing room only like here??   Hope you have a good time and only make the paper for things related to work

2008-03-26 1:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Also- Kim, your hair was looking very lovely. I can see why you were news   Seriously. Good hair day.
2008-03-26 1:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Just convinced the boss man to go for a run with me.  I love my job. He will not be happy when he realizes how windy it is. 

I think I have a fundamental character flaw which is I am only good under pressure- as in, somehow, I have waited almost entirely to pack until tonight.  Have pulled stuff out and put it in piles- haven't even gotten out the suitcases, or dealt with any of the real nitty gritty of packing. Oh, well. 

In other news, I am in desperate need of a pedicure and am in no way sandal-ready.  Other than the fact that I have pulled several pairs out of winter storage.

Edited by aquinn 2008-03-26 1:44 PM

2008-03-26 1:49 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

I am flawed in that way too!  but, for this, I blame my husband.  I *think* we have decided to leave for our trip on sunday, stop in columbia SC on our way, then make the rest of the trip on monday to Aldie VA.

Originally we were leaving on tuesday..then it was saturday until I put the stops on that..now it is sunday AND we get to stop overnight rather than drive the whole 15 hours 47 minutes at once...at least on the way up.  So, I will start packing on saturday...also need an oil change before we go...and have to take my bike in-but not till saturday after I ride it.  AND I should be on my bike right now. 

Have a good run Amy.  I AM GOING BIKING. NOW.

2008-03-27 6:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Thanks about the hair, my appliances don't work here so its just a hairdryer in the hotel and a brush so i'm very pleased you liked it!!

Give yourself a pedicure on the way, seriously, I've done worse than paint my nails in the car. I'm the same way, don't pack until i have to. Even with the workouts pressure helps, I always work harder if I run with someone.

That's what type A is about, performance under pressure, if there's no pressure we manufacture it for ourselves. Its a sign of great intelligence...
2008-03-27 7:52 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

ok Hans...brace yourself

In reviewing your training you seem to to pretty well with staying on target volume wise.  Your run and swim dropped off a bit this month - still have a few days left...otherwise, looking good that way.

I did notice you mentioned your back hurting on  the run. Definitely work on your stretching..I speak from experience, as last year preparing for Disney, I came back from a particular 4 hour bike and literally couldn't stand up straight without pain.  We are not spring chickens anymore, even if we act like it

Looking over your heart rate for the month of March...I am curious how you obtained your run heart rate zones...it seems like they are fairly low, and if so, then you are running too many of your runs in zone 3.  Also, many of your bikes tend to be a few ticks into zone 3 for your average.  It's ok to have some rides/ runs in zone 3, but as a little but reliable bird told me "Zone 2 is where the money is"...you will feel painfully slow at times, but this is what builds the machine.  Here's another quote from that same bird "Save the great performance for race day". 

It is tough to believe running slow can make you faster, but it works, specifically for long distance events.  Think slow twitch.  Teaching your body to use oxygen more efficiently.  I'm not saying all of your bikes/runs are out of zone 2, but a lot are...more than I think should be.   And you aren't WAY out of zone, but enough.  They are set for a reason. 

Let me know about your run zones.  Just by example, my zone 2 on the bike is 133-143 (yours is 134-144) and my run zone 2 is 153-162 (yours is 141-150)...seems low. 

Keep up the solid training.  Work on your nutrition and HYDRATION plan...it is HOT at Disney.  I know you said you have 18 days to acclimate, so that' s great.  I'm just hoping you don't wipe up the floor with me at Disney Surprised

2008-03-27 11:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
Kim, that's a great photo!!  Blonde hair will definitely open doors here!!  Cool
2008-03-28 3:04 AM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community

The results are in and...............NO stress fracture (at least what they could determine on the X-Rays)......and the diagnosis is a severe case of PF.  Doc showed me a stretch to do and said I "MUST" do it 50 times ady for 30 seconds each. FIFTY!!  Dang, I'll be stretching every 20 minutes during waking hours to get that in!!  He also said he was "alarmed" by a bony protuberance in my right heel (AHA!!, I thought)........but then said he was no longer alarmed when he found an identical protuberance on my left heelbone.  So, quite clearly, I am descended from the Emu family and these objects are the vestigial talons that Emus use to cut their prey to bits.  I'll have to remember that when I'm trying to catch a runner ahead of me........."I am a proud descendant of an EMU, and I WILL catch you!"

I'm now off to shop online for a Strasburg Sock.......my wife said it's the way to go to keep that sucker stretched out 24/7.

I'm back in the game, people!!  I will start off with some ten-minute runs on the mill (after stretching fifty times) and build up from there. Bali, here I come!!Cool

Edited by Krakatoa 2008-03-28 3:05 AM

2008-03-28 4:38 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
GOOD!!!  An official diagnosis!!!  You sound like you have a ray of hope in your "voice" again!!!! 
2008-03-28 8:19 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Bob,

I am sorry, but the Bali race director issued a press statement saying that while the race is open to the young and old, fast and slow, and fit and fat, it is definitely not open to other species.  Besides, what category would I put EMUs in, "Flightless Fowl" ??

2008-03-28 12:16 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community

I'm pretty sure Emus are not carnivorous, or even omnivorous, so whoever said the talons are used to "cut their prey to bits", why, that's just crazy talk!  Wink

According to Mimi, I'm supposed to wear a thong for the Bali tri.  If you've seen Borat, you'll know what I'm really going to wear.......one of those neon green neoprene body slings. That should do it.

Edited by Krakatoa 2008-03-28 12:17 PM
2008-03-28 2:05 PM
in reply to: #1299902

User image

Master
South Florida
Krakatoa - 2008-03-28 1:16 PM

I'm pretty sure Emus are not carnivorous, or even omnivorous, so whoever said the talons are used to "cut their prey to bits", why, that's just crazy talk!  Wink

According to Mimi, I'm supposed to wear a thong for the Bali tri.  If you've seen Borat, you'll know what I'm really going to wear.......one of those neon green neoprene body slings. That should do it.

Surprised  Oh my!! 

Someone yell at me and tell me to go run...I need to run for an hour and a half, but I'd rather lie down on my bed and enjoy the warm breeze coming in my window!!!  I'm not on vacation yet!!  Plus, there will be no warm breezes where I am going

2008-03-28 4:28 PM
in reply to: #1300237

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Mimir98 - 2008-03-28 12:05 PM
Krakatoa - 2008-03-28 1:16 PM

Surprised  Oh my!! 

Someone yell at me and tell me to go run...I need to run for an hour and a half, but I'd rather lie down on my bed and enjoy the warm breeze coming in my window!!!  I'm not on vacation yet!!  Plus, there will be no warm breezes where I am going

GO RUN MIMI!!!!!!!!

Edited by jacsuza 2008-03-28 4:29 PM

2008-03-28 7:04 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Hey MIMI, it must be getting dark there now, did you run yet   Tongue out
2008-03-28 8:42 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
you guys are THE BEST   I did run.  It wasn't a great run, but the last 3 miles were much better than the first 3...and the middle ones were ok.  THanks for the encouragement. Laughing
2008-03-28 9:18 PM
in reply to: #1290012

User image

Master
South Florida
jacsuza - 2008-03-24 2:49 PM

Ok Mimi, I'll give you a little grist for your flogging mill: 

My new goal is to NOT be last -- overall AND in my age group.  (I actually wasn't last for the bike or the run -- AG and overall).  Obviously swim killed me.  In case you're interested, here's the link for the newly official results from my tri: http://www.tritucson.com/results/TUTres08.htm .  I'm in the Female 45-49 age group.

Ok..first PROPS where PROPS are due!!!  You did your first tri, and that deserves a lot of credit!!!!   Yay for you    Goal was to finish and that's what you did...look how far you've come and think about how far you have to go now.

I checked the results from your race.  You are about 7 min from the next competitor on the swim, 19 min on the bike and 2 or so min on the run....So where should the focus be?  How can you shave 12 minutes from now until July?  First of all, it didn't have transitions, but a lot of times you can find a minute or two there ( I know this, I"ve been accused of having a party in T2!!).  Next I would look at the bike...and the swim.  Races are not won, and huge gains are not made in a race on the swim, but not so true on the bike.  Yes, you have to be able to swim the distance and get out of the water without a freaky high heart rate and exhausted, so I would really focus on drill, drill, drill on the swim...

The bike.  I've been told the best way to get better on the bike is.....to bike   So perhaps you need a more bike focused plan for the next 3-4 months?  The run- continue what you're doing, seems to be working.

Otherwise, you're doing great!!! 

2008-03-28 10:01 PM
in reply to: #1301010

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Mimir98 - 2008-03-28 7:18 PM
jacsuza - 2008-03-24 2:49 PM

Ok Mimi, I'll give you a little grist for your flogging mill: 

My new goal is to NOT be last -- overall AND in my age group.  (I actually wasn't last for the bike or the run -- AG and overall).  Obviously swim killed me.  In case you're interested, here's the link for the newly official results from my tri: http://www.tritucson.com/results/TUTres08.htm .  I'm in the Female 45-49 age group.

Ok..first PROPS where PROPS are due!!!  You did your first tri, and that deserves a lot of credit!!!!   Yay for you    Goal was to finish and that's what you did...look how far you've come and think about how far you have to go now.

I checked the results from your race.  You are about 7 min from the next competitor on the swim, 19 min on the bike and 2 or so min on the run....So where should the focus be?  How can you shave 12 minutes from now until July?  First of all, it didn't have transitions, but a lot of times you can find a minute or two there ( I know this, I"ve been accused of having a party in T2!!).  Next I would look at the bike...and the swim.  Races are not won, and huge gains are not made in a race on the swim, but not so true on the bike.  Yes, you have to be able to swim the distance and get out of the water without a freaky high heart rate and exhausted, so I would really focus on drill, drill, drill on the swim...

The bike.  I've been told the best way to get better on the bike is.....to bike   So perhaps you need a more bike focused plan for the next 3-4 months?  The run- continue what you're doing, seems to be working.

Otherwise, you're doing great!!! 

Awww, thanks.  Actually, my party was primarily in T1 -- trying to figure out what to wear for the bike and first putting on long pants (and the sneakers) and then deciding to take them off again.   I also lost a little time in T2 with changing shirts and having to change my race number from the one shirt to the other.  (I have since purchased one of those little belts, so THAT will not be a problem in future races). 

And yes, I will bike.  I'm going to do my best to follow my training plan more closely this go round.  (At least until life interferesInnocent)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  

of 36