BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-10-06 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2443436

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Subject: RE: GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring
BabsVa - 2009-10-05 11:58 AM

Finished my longest race to date on Sat in 3:03ish. Fun! Ow! Lost my HRM in T1 which was a drag as I'd planned on pacing bike and run by HR, so had to wing it. Did negative split the run. I wonder if this is a sign of a) good pacing or b) too conservative pacing. Whaddya think.

Race report is up.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=182941

Congrats on the finish -- how big was the negative split?  Generally, I've found that close to even time splits (run) and a large negative energy split (run vs bike) works well for me.  To do this I need to save a TON of effort for the final half of the run.

2009-10-07 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2072085

Expert

Thanks.

I don't really know what the splits were - total guess - 10:30+ 1st half, 9m/m second? 

Got a second wind at the halfway point. Bah! Pretty sure I erred on the safe side. 

Taking into consideration my number 1 goal was to finish uninjured that was probably the way to go. Weekly average mileage for the last few weeks was like 14 mpw. Been back to running five weeks now and, being older, need to stay real conservative on upping volume and intensity. 

Really glad I did this race, I was as well prepared as I could have been and look forward to some less structured time this fall :-)

2009-10-08 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2448751

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
BabsVa - 2009-10-07 7:46 PM

Thanks.

I don't really know what the splits were - total guess - 10:30+ 1st half, 9m/m second? 

Got a second wind at the halfway point. Bah! Pretty sure I erred on the safe side. 

Taking into consideration my number 1 goal was to finish uninjured that was probably the way to go. Weekly average mileage for the last few weeks was like 14 mpw. Been back to running five weeks now and, being older, need to stay real conservative on upping volume and intensity. 

Really glad I did this race, I was as well prepared as I could have been and look forward to some less structured time this fall :-)

Smart to be conservative and build from a platform of success! 
2009-10-08 11:29 AM

User image

New user
Barbara
Just wanted to jump on and say congrats!  I enjoyed the race report, especially dusting the guy you were 'sparring' places with!

Olympic is not an easy distance... thanks for the inspiration!

ken
2009-10-09 6:05 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Hey G---

Wasnt' sure if the group was still going or on hiatus, but I have a question about bikes.  Talk to me about stand over.  How much room do you think you need between you and the top tube?   Some people tell me it doesn't matter at all because you are rarely standing on both feet on the bike, but I'm not so sure.

Despite efforts to be in recovery mode, I strained a hamstring/glute med and had 48 injections of prolo to rehab it yesterday.  It was also suggested I strengthen both.  I got a few exercises to do that, but any others you can point me to?

Suzy
2009-10-09 4:49 PM
in reply to: #2451108

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Stand over - I like to be able to comfortably stand while unclipped -- not sure that I'd buy a bike where this wasn't the case.  I rarely click both shoes out (tend to keep the chain ring side clipped in).

Strength Training -- check the Strength Training for Triathlon article on my site.  The single leg hip bridges, squats (see video) and dynamic lunges (see video) are quite functional for what you are describing.

Hope this helps,

2009-10-14 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2449680

Expert

Ken in AZ - 2009-10-08 12:29 PM Barbara
Just wanted to jump on and say congrats!  I enjoyed the race report, especially dusting the guy you were 'sparring' places with!

ken

Thanks Ken. The race finish is almost as fun as the start.

Well my season's ended so I am saying toodles! and thank you to you all. Special thanks to awesome mentor Gman. You've been so generous with your time and extensive knowledge. I appreciate your well written and candid blog posts and various contributions around the internet. Very informative. All the best to you with your various ventures.
Hope everyone has a great off season if that is what you are doing, or if you are carrying on per usual, keep on rockin' it!

Edited by BabsVa 2009-10-14 3:01 PM
2009-10-15 12:15 AM
in reply to: #2459723

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
BabsVa - 2009-10-14 1:59 PM

Ken in AZ - 2009-10-08 12:29 PM Barbara

ken

Thanks Ken. The race finish is almost as fun as the start.

Well my season's ended so I am saying toodles! and thank you to you all. Special thanks to awesome mentor Gman. You've been so generous with your time and extensive knowledge. I appreciate your well written and candid blog posts and various contributions around the internet. Very informative. All the best to you with your various ventures.
Hope everyone has a great off season if that is what you are doing, or if you are carrying on per usual, keep on rockin' it!

It's been fun for me as well.I'll be racing Longhorn on October 25th so if anyone spots me (in an Endurance Corner TriSuit) then be sure to say "hi". I'll also be racing Half Silverman in early November.g
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  

of 27