BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-09-14 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2769357

Veteran
Subject: RE: mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED
way to go Brian, awesome race!!  the report is also really good, I picked up on a lot of things as a newbie to this sport.

so I am back, was travelling during the last few weeks and could only get minimal training done.  I however managed not to gain weight which I am very happy about. 
Unfortunately I missed out on the registration deadline for my race, so I am little bit bummed out.  Specially since I am kind of lost now on what I need to do.

what do you usually do after your season is over?  have you ever taken the winter maintenance plan?  I am gonna shoot on improving my run, and get some good miles before it gets really cold, but I would prefer to have something more structured.  I started my grad degree this week and need to work on an ambitious, yet realistic program.

Cheers everyone!

2010-09-14 9:26 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
I'll join in the amazing praise for Brain!  Way to go man.  You really killed it out there.  And such a cool race report.

I've been struggling the past two weeks or so with the start of school (I'm a teacher) making my life super insane.  Plus the fact that the wife and I have been eating (and me drinking) super bad since Finley was born.  I've gained a few lbs since Finley's birth, but I'm not letting myself get too down.

My plan for the off season is to set realistic goals.  For me, that means biking, swimming, and lifting once a week and running twice a week (one long run, one interval run).  That means only 5 workouts a week (I had been doing six) to meet my goal.  Hopefully that'll be doable and help ward off burnout. 

Plus, I'm hoping to hit 195 by March 1st, when I plan to start training for real.  That means losing half a pound a week, which I think is a good goal but will still allow me to cheat (like drinking beer on Sundays... I love football!)

Next year: Half Ironman!  Not sure which race I'm going to do, but I'm going to do one for sure. 
2010-09-17 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Hello All
Just came back from business trip to Florida which turned out to be great for some running in 95 degree heat and high humudity to prepare for Augusta Sept 26.  I ran three days around 4PM when the heat and humidity were at there highest.  It was totally brutal but I did not pass out.  I even ran 6 miles one day.  OK that was in the morning but it was still hot and humid.  Anyway I hope everyone is well and only 10 more days until Augusta.
Take Care
Tom
2010-09-23 7:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
I hope everyone has a great weekend.  I will not have access to a computer for a while (that is a good thing).  We are heading to Charleston, WV tonight then on to Augusta Friday for registration, Expo, etc. for the HIM on Sunday.  I just wanted to thank everyone for the support and words of encouragement this summer during training and events, especially Brian for the constant checkups and leading this group. 
I am really looking forward to doing the HIM and reporting on it when we get back from vacation after the HIM.  We are going to Hilton Head for the week and will visit my bro in Charleston, SC.  Anyway thanks again for letting me be part of a great group of supporters and talk soon.
Tom 
2010-09-23 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Go get 'em, Tom!!!!!!!  Be safe driving and enjoy your trip!  What a great idea to do a destination/vacation race!!!!  Looking forward to your RR!!!!! 

Go, Tom! Go!
2010-09-23 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
alright, kids.  I'm sneaking in a sprint relay with a friend of mine who is recovering from a broken hip.  She is swimming, the DH (Steve-o) is biking, and I am running.  And, BTW.... I have a new 4 legged friend.  Pics to follow...

Go, Tom! Go!

2010-09-28 11:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio

Hey Everyone
All I can say is "Its good to be alive".  LOL I did it.  I will post a full report when i get home from vacation but I found an internet cafe to make a quick post.
here it is.  I met all three major goals.
1. Finish
2. Finish within 7 hours
3. Not end up in the hospital.

6:53:21 Total time
36:10    Swim
3:20:43 Bike 16.74 avg
2:45:47 Run  12:39 per mile average

I was a great race and a great time.  I highly recommend it next year as I am going to do it again and plan to cut an hour.  My parents and Kelly and Jake watched.  They had big signs and yelled everytime around the run  venue.  they saw me several times as it was a 2 loop in the city and sone of the roads was an up and down.  I was the only BT tri suit guy i saw although many Bters yelled out to me to encourage me.  I had a great time.  thanks for all the encouragement everyone.

Anyway back to the beach.
Take care All
Tom

Edited by Tkimble01 2010-09-29 2:44 PM
2010-09-29 12:39 AM
in reply to: #3121748

YAY TOM!!!

Way to go.  So proud of you!!!!!  Can't wait to see the race report!!

Ronda
2010-09-29 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Tom, that is so amazing.  What an inspiration!  I can't wait to read the race report.  Have fun on the rest of your vacay!
2010-09-30 8:26 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Congrats TOM!!! Great job! We all set goals to destroy them, and you did just that! Thanks for checking in, the anticipation was killing me! Can't wait for your RR. Take your time with it and savor the sweet victory in it. -Brian
2010-09-30 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
How was everyone's September? 

September's totals:
Bike:3h 16m 45s  - 78.96 Mi
Run:5h 26m 21s  - 35.88 Mi
Swim:3h 51m  - 9350 M
Strength:1h 30m

I had my lowest month since starting my training back in March.  But I guess that's to be expected with a 6 week old baby at home and starting back up at work this month.

2010-10-03 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Ok everyone here is my race report.  thanks again for all the support and encouragement.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=229232
2010-10-04 2:05 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Greetings all! 

I fell off the wagon after my race in September, and I don't have a newborn to blame it on!     Hoping to pick it up in October. 

Tom, congrats again on a great race, your race report was awesome!!!! 

I wanted to share with you all...  I picked up Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald 2 weeks ago and am 90% through it.  I highly recomend it to anyone looking to drop a few lbs for next season and really hone in your nutrition and optimum weight for racing performance.  It is an easy read, just technical enough and is a great motivator to get your diet under control.  It does a great job of highlighting what effect your weight has on your performance, lays out a plan to calculate your ideal weight, and gives you the tools to creat a plan to get there.  I am not going to fool myself and start this now (hello, football = wings, burgers & BEER!)  but I am reading it now so when Jan 1 rolls around my plan will be firmly in place then I can use the book as a reference guide.  I figure I will have about 18lbs to shed Jan - April so I can win Kona next year  

Here is the Amazon link   http://www.amazon.com/Racing-Weight-Lean-Peak-Performance/dp/1934030511

I hope everyone is doing well.

-Brian
2010-10-04 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Here is my September totals.  I hope everyone is well.

September's totals:
Bike:7h 47m 44s  - 128 Mi
Run:14h 33m 56s  - 73.02 Mi
Swim:2h 46m  - 7578 Yd
Strength:20m
2010-11-12 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
I hope everyone is doing well and taking well-deserved time off. I have taken a break but am feeling the effects of a break (stiff, sore, lazy, weight gain, etc).  I am ready to get back on the road again and have made a rather large
commitment.  I am buying a Cervelo P2 this weekend.  I got a good deal on it from a local tri shop in Cleveland, Ohio.
I took a serious look at my goals and decided to make an investment in them as well as getting a coach for a month to set up the beginning of my plan.  I am really excited and at the same time a bit nervous because of the $$$$$$ commitment but I feel as if it is time to get busy and be accountable and make the investment in my health, Jake's future (being a good example) and my wife.  The bike I used this past year was a cyclo-cross that i tried to make a tri bike.  I realize that having the right tools would make a big difference as well as doing a serious overhall on the engine (me) itself.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.  For next year my plans include serious and sustained weight loss (min 25 pounds by May 14).  Two HIMS and 1 Full Ironman with a few Olys and Sprints along the training path. 
2010-11-24 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!Cool

I hope everyone forgets about Triathlon and training for the day and eats until they fall into a deep sleep or football coma.  I know that is what I am going to do.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Tom

2010-11-25 10:36 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
I am thankful for my crazy-awesome BT friends!  Thanks Brian and crew for a fantastic 1st year of racing support.  Here's to many more!

I pray you had a wonderful day!
2010-11-29 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Greetings All! 

Tom, I'm with you on being lazy and gaining weight!  I swore it wouldn't happen this time, but as sure as the sun shines, I'm up 12lbs since my last race.. UGGGGG!!!! Well, Jan 1st is right around the corner and I'm back to it full time then, so I might as well enjoy it while I can.  Congrats on taking the plunge with the new bike, be sure to post pics! 

I hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving and preparing for a fantastic holiday season! 

Will check back soon!

-B

2010-11-30 12:39 AM

Hey all, long time no talk.  So I hope everything is going ok with everyone!  I can't believe Thanksgiving is already over and Christmas is around the corner.

I have been super sporadic about logging workouts but I did start with a personal trainer in Sept and was loving it and I was doing ok with swim and run, not so much with bike but... there's always a but, right?

I had been having some weird, vague foot pain on the top of my foot for about the last 6 months or so but since it was not really bad, I had a tendancy to ignore it.  During a taekwondo class, I kicked a pad funky and the same area that was always kinda sore was OMG I'M NEVER GOING TO WALK AGAIN afterwards.  Off to the dr and I was the proud new owner of a metatarsal stress fracture!  Yay!  Well, not really, this was in early Oct and I have been off since then, sitting on my butt, and of course eating junk.  Dr said 8 weeks of no running, bike only if its comfortable (as if!, I avoid bikes like the plague!) no tkd, no anything that puts pressure on that spot or I get a cast.  I could swim but no fins and if kicking bothered than pull buoy only.  

So the lazy in me, which far outweighs the motivated in me has basically taken over and I haven't even swam in over a month (although slightly in my defense, right after I found out about the fracture, my pool was closed for over 3 weeks for maintaince but of course after 3 plus weeks of doing nothing, you can imagine how unmotivated I was to do anything).  

My first ever sprint was supposed to be on Dec 12 but uh, well, I haven't exactly done much lately so its probably a no go.  Part of me just wants to go and gut it out, I mean 3 miles of running and 12 miles of biking most likely won't kill me but...I really don't want to be out there an hour after everybody else has finished.  I know, poor sport but there it is.  My 8 week punishment is up the week of the triathlon but I was thinking of easing into it this week and seeing how it goes and maybe just saying the hell with it and doing it or I can follow orders and aim for another reverse sprint in Feb.    I feel like a quitter with that option though.  

So I'm around, just kinda gimpy (well actually my foot hasn't bothered me too bad after the first few weeks, trick or treating with the kid was hell though) but I am still reading and hopefully learning!

Ronda 

Ps-dude that was the whiniest, pity party post ever.  Sorry! 
2010-11-30 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Hey Ronda, it's great to hear from you!!!

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone super motivated this time of year, I'm certantly not!  Way to easy to become lazy around the holidays without a broken foot, nevermind with one.  I'd do the same think you're doing.   Regarding the tri on the 12th, see how you feel!  I wouldn't worry about your finishing time, no matter what there will be people behind you.  Who knows, it just might be the catalyst you need to get you going again.   
2010-12-02 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
I guess I am taking this opportunity to get out a few thoughts. 

I am sure most of you have heard about the missing boys from Marenci, Michigan.
Me and another guy form work are heading over to Marenci, Michigan tomorrow to help look for the three missing boys.  I am sure most of you have heard the story as it has been all over the news.  Amazing how this situation affects some of us.  Having a 2 year old son I feel very compelled to help out in this search.  I have been heartbroken all week over this story.  I cannot articulate in my head how someone could hurt these boys.  They are only 5, 7 and 9 years old.  I know we all have our issues in life but a story like this really resets your focus in life.  This holiday season most of all take the time to appreciate your families, health, a roof over your heads and food on the table.  All of us are so fortunate to be able to enjoy and afford to participate in sporting events when many at this time cannot even put food on the table or cannot feed their kids.  Take time to give to someone in need this Holiday season or just to say a prayer for someone in need wether it be a physical, mental or spiritual need.  These 3 boys were being raised in a home where the parents needed help and who knows if they ever got it.  I know this isn't a typical Triathlete comment but I felt compelled to reach out.
Have A Great Holiday Season and pray that these boys be found alive and well.
Thanks
Tom

2010-12-16 12:45 AM

Hi guys,

I tried my first walk with little bursts of jogging last week and it was a no go.    Foot hurt again and throbbed for days.  Told my dr. I wanted to see a podiatrist because the problem is obviously still there.  Got some x-rays and managed to snag an appt today.

Good news- he doesn't see the stress fracture.

Bad news- when he palpated the foot much more thorougly then the other doc and he did find the area that I've been trying to describe and apparently its in an unusual location.  Its my navicular bone, specifically the joint between that and um, I forgot the name of the other bone.  He was so suprised at the location he kept trying other spots and then coming back to that one and sure enough, it was the same joint everytime. 

No way to stabalize that particular joint sufficiently so I had to go a combo of treatments.  First off, I had to have a freaking steroid shot in the JOINT!  Let me tell you, that hurt like a motherf*******.Surprised  Sorry for the language but that is a seriously un-fun shot!  Huge long needle, straight into the top of my foot into the joint capsule.  The cold spray on the skin ensured I didn't feel the initial but that prolly wouldn't have hurt anywhere near as the pressure/pain I felt when they got further in. 

Next they wrapped the foot in what he called a "soft" cast.  It was wet and gross feeling like a plaster cast but doesn't dry as hard.  I have to wear this for a week to keep the foot as stablized as possible and then I get it off.  For the next 4 weeks, I am allowed to do ....

Pretty much nothing exciting.  I am allowed to do the elliptical after the cast comes off.  I can do as much of that as I want.  I can swim after the cast comes off but no swift, snappy kicking....so 2 beat kick here I come or lots of pull buoy!  No fins.   No spin class because of the upward pull portion of the stroke. Tongue out I am allowed to ride my horse.  I'm really bummed about tkd because I was supposed to be testing for black belt in April and honestly, I wanted to test and take a break but now its unclear whether or not that will even be allowed at all in the future.Frown

Running of course is absolutely out for now.  As much as I hated it when I started, this makes me the saddest.  I could give up the bike no problem, and I was planning a tkd break anyways (just not till after the test but whatevs) but I'm actually pretty bummed.  I really was beginning to enjoy the running and the feeling of accomplishment.  Dr thinks that we can try to introduce it VERY SLOWLY after a month or so.  Like as in walking only at first, than walking with 30 seconds of jogging, then a minute, etc.  He feels that I'll recover but won't be suprised if it takes as long as a YEAR to return to running full time!  Cripes, a YEAR?! Yell

So, yeah not going to be doing Race on the Base in Feb.  Not going to be doing the 5k mudrun I did last year this  April.   But it could be worse, so here's to lots and lots of elliptical and swimming when the cast comes off!

Just wanted you guys to know so that if you see blank logs in the next week, I swear I'm not quitting, just on the DL.

Ronda

2010-12-23 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
I know we're all busy lately with family, friends, and whatnot but..... Merry Christmas and have a wonderful and healthy New Year!!!!!  I've loved getting to know you all the past 7-8 months or so.  Keep up the good work and work off those cookies!!! 
2011-06-13 9:49 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

It's been a while, guys.  How is everyone???  What races do you have planned for this summer?  I just signed up for the Rev3 HIM @ Cedar Point...  ACK!!!!!

Hope you all are doing well and staying safe!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27