Premier Event Management
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 53m 21s
Overall Rank = 2246/2443
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 54/74
Pre-race routine:

Kelly, Jake and myself drove to Augusta on Friday just in time to register, go to the expo and attend the last pre-race meeting of Friday. It was nice getting there on Friday as Saturday was a total madhouse. After the pre-race meeting we went to the hotel to check in and then went for a dip in the hotel pool with Jake. It was really relaxing although at this point I was stressed because Kelly bought me some Augusta Esi Ironman clothes and a "finish" frame for race pictures. Jitters, now I have to finish no matter what.
Event warmup:

On Saturday afternoon around 3PM Kelly and myself went down to the race venue to check bike in and then go for a run. Bike Check-in was easy and bike was in a good position to see coming into transition. After that we went for a 2.17 mile run along the river. It was really hot on saturday. The temperature got to as high as 98 degrees so I did not want to run too far in fear of loosing too much fluid. I was really hoping that Sunday would not be that hot or it would have changed my plan drastically. As luck would have it the forecast called for rain and rain it did. After our run I wanted to take a swim in the river just to get a feel for the water, current and postion. I swam about 400 yards down river and than back against the current. I felt really good with no issues. on Saturday night my parents, Kelly, Jake and myself all went to a really good Italian place to eat. I have a large bowl of pasta and a really nice time.

On Sunday morning I woke up at about 4AM and started breakfast and streching out. My parents were a blessing because they kept Jake overnight in their room in order that I could get up and Kelly could take me to the race around 5:30AM. Kelly went back and picked them up from the hotel before the run started so they could take it easy until then. It worked out great. From 4 until we left at about 5:15 I ate a bagel with peanut butter, a cup of wheaties fuel cereal (highly recommend), 1 hammer gel, a banana and a few endurolyte tabelets. I also kept drinking water the whole time up until the event.

We Parked the truck at the swim area and walked 1.2 miles to set up the transition. Kelly was a real trooper by waiting around for the event to begin. After setup they had buses to take participants to the swim start although I opted to walk back with Kelly to work out the Jitters. it was nice that Kelly was there so she could help calm me down a bit as well as take my glasses and sandals. At the swim start most people were just waiting around under trees (rain) for the start. There was water tables there so I kept hydrating and had two hammer gels before the swim start. I had no issues at all with intestinal distress during the event. I only used the toilet once during bike. They had a huge American flag hanging from the bridge over the river and we sang the National Anthem. It really had the feel of a major sporting event even for us beginners. I had goosebumps most of the time.
Swim
  • 36m 10s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very relaxed for the swim portion. There were 25 waves and I was in wave #17. I had a chance to meet quite a few of the guys in my wave and talk about the course and such. I was in the wave with the 50-54 age groupers although my division was the Clydesdales. They did all the Clydesdales and Athenas that way. The swim was comfortable for me. I started way on the outside by the bouys and found my own space rather quickly without too much contact with other swimmers. I did not get beat up at all and there were about 120 men in my wave. I kept a slow but steady pace the entire time and did not tire much until the end of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

I was happy with my performance although I need to practice breathing every other stroke and/or stroke and a half as well as keeping body more level in the water. I was happy where I started and stayign close to the bouys.
Transition 1
  • 06m 34s
Comments:

As I exited the water they had wetsuit strippers for us. They were great although I had to help mine get the wetsuit off. It got stuck. No real difference in time though. As I got to my bike I stuck an open hammer jel in my mouth to suck down as I got ready. i had a quick drink from my perpetuem bottle also.

I would move a little quicker. I wanted to take my time in order not to forget anything. I was a little nervous so I took my time. I had all my transition equipment covered bcause it was a rainy mess by the time I got there. Glad I covered my things up.
Bike
  • 3h 20m 44s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.74 mile/hr
Comments:

For the bike segment I had a two hour 24 ounce bottle of perpetuem mixed as well as a 34 ounce bottle of gatorade. I also had a zip lock on my arrow bars with about 10 fig newtons, 20 endurolytes and 4 hammer jels. I used one more 32 once bottle at the exchange and that was it for fluid. I ate about 6 of the figs and had 2 of the hammer jels oduring the ride.
Transition 2
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

I thought this was a good transition although the one mistake I did make was to eat a handful of wheaties fuel cereal with no drink. I choked that up for about the first mile. The one thing I did great on was bringing a second pair of socks as the pair I wore on the bike were completely soaked. I dried my feet and changed socks so my feet and running shoes were dry. Great decision and will bring extra socks next time.

Just speed up. Since this was my first HIM I tended to take my time to ensure a finish.
Run
  • 2h 45m 47s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I got a little surprised at how fried my legs were off the bike. I cannot complain too much because this run was faster than the half-marathon I ran last year by about 4 minutes. I played it a little too conservative on the run due to the way my legs felt and wanting to ensure a finish. I drank either water or gatorade at every stop and probably had about 3 or 4 power gels along the way also. I ran with several people along the way. It made the time and distance go a little quicker.

I would definitely push the run harder without being concerned that I would finish. I felt I played it a little to conservative on the run to ensure my finish. My heart rate was really good so in hindsight I thing i could have taked about 20 - 30 minutes off the run by running the entire distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for about 10 minutes and drank plenty of water along with two slices of pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight, weight and weight. Also I lacked the training time I really needed although I felt OK for the entire event.

Event comments:

This was an excellent HIM for me to do. The swim was with the current, the bike was relatively flat with a few long rollers and the run was flat. The weather also cooperated to a great extent. The day before the race it got up to 98 degrees. For the event it rained most of the morning so the temperature dropped to around 80 degrees. It was a real spectator-friendly course for the run because it was two loops in the downtown area. My family saw me running at least 6 - 7 times during the run. The event was really well-organized and there were plenty of volunteers to help. The citizens of Augusta were also out in high numbers cheering us on. My number had my name on it so many called me by name. I also had a BT tri outfit on so some of the BTers cheered and encouraged me. This was a lot of fun and I will be back next year.

Last updated: 2010-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:10 | 2143 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/74
Overall: 2314/2443
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Sleeveless
Course: The course was a point-to-point downstream (with the current) swim. I stayed close to the bouys thinking the closer to the middle I could stay the more of the current I could pick up. My breathing was good although I had to keep thinking about my body staying level in the water to keep it that way. Overall it was a good swim for me.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:20:44 | 56 miles | 16.74 mile/hr
Overall: 2279/2443
Performance: Average
Wow, I started off really fast. Big mistake. My heart rate stayed between 155 and 160 for the first 20 miles. i got caught up in all the excitement and how well I was doing. I was averaging about 18MPH at that point but new I had to get my heart rate down. I started slowing my pace while keeping my cadence and it finally came down to in the 140s which is where I wanted it to stay.
Wind: Strong
Course: The course was through Georgia and South Carolina. It was flat but at abpout mile 30 some long grades came along and that is where I reallt slowed. There were two of these that had virtually no downhill on the other side due to the turns back up another hill and stop signs at the end of the climb. After this mid-section hilliness (mile 30 - 40) the course flatened back out again.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:45:47 | 13.1 miles | 12m 40s  min/mile
Overall: 2323/2443
Performance: Below average
Heart rate was really good throughout run but legs felt fried. I ran the first three miles and then fearing my legs were going to say "No more" and really wanting to make sure I finished I started walking some mixed with the run. I ran most of it but walked where I felt I needed to. My heart rate dropped as low as 125 but my legs were fried. I think I could have run and pushed it more here. The rain stopped aftert he bike ride although it was overcast for the first half of the run. The sun came out and it really heated up along with the wet ground made it feel like a suana. On the last turn before the end there was a drill instructor sherrif that gave everyone great inspiration with comments like "you did not enter a walking contest get running", and " I am gonna call your momma to come and get you", and "If this was a walking contest you win". It was great. I saw lots of people get close to that intersection and start running so they would not have to be encouraged. LOL.
Course: The course was great. It was flat and looped through downtown Augusta. The loop was done two times and you ran up and down one of the main roads two times which equated to 4 times my family could see me without moving much. My parents really got into it. My parents, Kelly and Jake all had signs and were yelling for me to go, go, go. It really helped to have the support there.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-10-03 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2010-10-03 6:23 PM
in reply to: #3130387

User image

Expert
C-bus
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Way to go, Tom!!!!  It's so fun that your entire family was able to get involved!!!  Congrats, again!
2010-10-04 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Great job Tom!  Such an inspiration!
2010-10-04 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Great Report Tom, Congratulations.  Now that we've done the distance, we know how much more we can push next time.  In hindsight I played it conservative on the bike and 1st part of the run as well.  Oh well, now we know for next time!

I still haven't gotten my 70.3 sticker, did you?  
2010-10-04 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3131997

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Thanks for the note Brian.  My wife also bought my 70.3 sticker and had it waiting for me after the race. I am glad she waited.  LOL.  It looks nice on the back of my Ford F150 4x4 window.  It was nice to be able to put it on.  You are correct about pushing it.  I now know enough about the weather/temp, sweat rate, etc. to make a better decision next time on how hard to push it.  By the way I am going to get that book.  I looked it up.  Looks like a really good book.  I am going to plan on doing Augusta again next year.  A guy I work with congratulated me today and when I told him about all the spectators and support he made the statement that he wished his first HIM would have been a larger venue.  He did one more in the country with only a few hundred participants and said that we he crossed the finish there was no one there to even clap for him.  It helps to have people cheering and yelling your name out.
Keep In Touch
Take Care
Tom 
2010-10-17 6:34 PM

Regular
T KIMBLE!!!  Its your three week anniversary, how are you feeling? 

Great race report, it was nice to see you having a good time over the course of the weekend!

I have been taking a lot of time off, have gotten out about 4 times total, 1 run, 2 swims, and 1 bike ride.  I might have to do augusta again next year too, I know I can go a lot faster on that course, theres three races around that time next year though, rev3 anderson, sc half, and augusta so we'll see which one i go with.

Keep in touch!  have a good offseason, Tyler

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed