BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2009-12-18 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2562558

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)
I plan on sticking around and am relieved to hear y'all will be doing the same! Some good news:

I am 12.62 miles away from my 365 miles in 2009 Long-Term Goal!!!

I have not eaten sugar (obvious sugar like sweets, sweetened coffee stuff or jelly) for seven days and have lost 5 pounds! I plan on keeping that up. I feel super powerful...avoiding the sweets has been more satisfying than eating them!  Everyone says I'm crazy for doing this during this particular time of year, but then again, I'm a triathlete...the stranger and more hard-core the better  

I am glad to have your support for my wack-o races and "insane" goals.  I was just pondering, for example, the fact that my longest running race two years in a row has been on 1/1 (after hosting a New Year's eve party each year!). I know I say it a lot but this group inspires the smithereens out of me.  I am just so impressed with y'all.

Have a wonderful holiday season   AND KEEP GOING ON THOSE GOALS!!!!

2009-12-20 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2566389

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)
Hey, Team:
I want to sign up for the HIM Syracuse....these have a time limit of 8 hours.  Do you think this is doable for me?  I'm doing the 20 week training for HIM starting in May...but currently with my pacings I'm a bit worried/apprehensive and would love to hear your opinions.  I'm currently running 30 min 10K's, biking about 17-19 mph and I am a good swimmer. I'm thinking the swim will only take 30-35 minutes.
Grace
2009-12-21 6:54 AM
in reply to: #2569596

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

gcoller - 2009-12-20 10:51 AM Hey, Team:
I want to sign up for the HIM Syracuse....these have a time limit of 8 hours.  Do you think this is doable for me?  I'm doing the 20 week training for HIM starting in May...but currently with my pacings I'm a bit worried/apprehensive and would love to hear your opinions.  I'm currently running 30 min 10K's, biking about 17-19 mph and I am a good swimmer. I'm thinking the swim will only take 30-35 minutes.
Grace

In short, yes - sub 8 is very doable.

Swim: .5 (your estimate)

Bike: 3.5 (16 mph)

Run: 2.5 (>11 min miles)

Plus .5 for transitions . . .  you get to 7 hours.

And we'll be cheering for you the whole time, so you can subtract .5 just from the pure energy you'll be receiving.

2009-12-21 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2070412

User image

Master
Maryland
Grace, you are following a plan and you can do it! 
Have a Merry Christmas all!
2009-12-22 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
First of all Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to everyone!!!

Grace, of course you can do it!!!  The way you have accomplished goal after goal this past year this will be no problem for you!!!  Plan your work and work your plan and you will rock it!!!

Dewey
2009-12-23 6:52 AM
in reply to: #2572894

Regular
Newport Beach

I second y'alls sentiment as well.  We've got an amazing group of people with all sorts of experience and strenghts.  No need for me to look any further.  My sincere apologies for dropping off the wagon lately.  Family needs, work demands and other stuff has completely taken over.  But I'm really trying to change that and to get back on track with training.  As far as 2010 goes, everything is completely in the air.  We are looking at leaving Houston and, in the words of LL Cool J, theres a strong probability that we'll be "going back to Cali."   Wife has an incredible job offer in the Los Angeles area and I've had to dust off the resume.  We'll see where this takes us.

Congrats to all of you on your accomplishments for 2009.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

JG

2009-12-23 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2569596

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
gcoller - 2009-12-20 9:51 AM Hey, Team:
Grace

First, yes I think you are very capable of finishing well within the time cut-offs for a HIM, but you have to train well, train smart and train consistently... ALL OF WHICH YOU DO AND WILL DO!

I think there is a typo above    30 minute 5K?? not 10K, right? cuz I think I run pretty well, and I can't run a 30 min 10K...

I would plan on a 40-45 minute swim... The HIM and especially a large M-dot event like Syracuse, it will much more crowded than anything you have done so far.  That alone will hinder your performance... However, with good strong training you just may crush it!  Keep an open mind.

Just set the training plan and see how you are progressing before you put any time considerations down... Sign Up and make that commitment ~ YOU WILL MAKE IT WITHIN 8 HRS!!! I BELIEVE IN YOU and so does the rest of this group!
2009-12-23 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2574700

User image

Jota - 2009-12-23 6:52 AM

I second y'alls sentiment as well.  We've got an amazing group of people with all sorts of experience and strenghts.  No need for me to look any further.  My sincere apologies for dropping off the wagon lately.  Family needs, work demands and other stuff has completely taken over.  But I'm really trying to change that and to get back on track with training.  As far as 2010 goes, everything is completely in the air.  We are looking at leaving Houston and, in the words of LL Cool J, theres a strong probability that we'll be "going back to Cali."   Wife has an incredible job offer in the Los Angeles area and I've had to dust off the resume.  We'll see where this takes us.

Congrats to all of you on your accomplishments for 2009.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

JG

Well JG, I am happy for you and your family and a little disappointed we did not get a chance to train a little more together.  Best of Luck out Cali way!  Enjoy some In-n-Out Burger for me!!!

Jota ~ Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family!

Mitch, Scott, Grace, Dewey, Linda, Jon & Jeff, (et. al.) ~
Wishing y'all a Very Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!
2009-12-24 6:55 PM
in reply to: #2575183

User image

Veteran
Yes...30 minute 5K's...30 minute 10K's I WISH   Thank you all for your support, truly! I will do this I've been consistent lately but became ill over the past few days. Tomorrow (Christmas morning!) I will have a scheduled rest day and then resume after that...squeezing in some extra miles where possible to meet 365 miles this year.  I just got the best confidence boost ever...it is a material thing but it gives me incredible hope for the new year...

A BRAND NEW 1UP TRAINER FROM MY MOTHER AND STEPDAD!!! I didn't even ask for this and I bawled my little eyes out upon receiving it. HIM here I come
2009-12-25 12:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Grace, the trainer rocks, girl.  I'm doing a half IM in 2010.  Maybe two! 

I'm feeling strong and great.  Thanks for all your help from this mentor group.  Haven't joined another yet.  Unsure I will. Maybe.

I got bike clothes, a bike shop gift card that will go to new chains, tires, etc., for the new year.  Awesome day.  Headed to a movie.

See you and Merry Christmas.

2009-12-31 5:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Happy New Year!  You guys rock!

2010-01-05 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2587055

User image

Veteran
Happy New Year to you also, Iceman! I finally got my cadence monitor attached (with hubby's help) and I'm all set for a 30 min ride tonight. I'm still exhausted from the weekend (3 nights in a row of no sleep) but I'm glad to be staying on track with fitness and nutrition goals.  Looking over the past year, I am pleased with my progress...and looking forward to this year, I know I can go even further.  I am so looking forward to going beyond what I previously thought I was capable of.
2010-01-06 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Started my new year training this week and did strength training schedule for the first time last night...a little sore this morning but it is the good sore you know?  I guess I must be a glutton for punishment because when I work out hard enough to "feel it" the next day, it seems those are the only workouts I feel satisfied with.  Man I'm weird!!!
2010-01-06 12:28 PM

User image

Happy New Year to All!

Grace, sounds like your set!  You will totally carry on with and continue to improve in 2010!

Dew ~ yes, those kinds of sessions suck while your doing them... but the 'hurt' of accomplishment is like nothing else.  Keep up the great work ~ I am really looking forward to seeing your results at Florida 70.3.

A smell several 70.3 for our group this year, and it will be a blast following along!  We will do this!
2010-01-09 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2598050

User image

Veteran
Ha!

Dew - it means you are one of us LOL we are not only gluttons for punishment but we also bask in the afterglow

Justin - Your faith in us is all we need...oh, that and A LOT of training! Seriously. Both are indispensable!

Iceman - love the Facebook updates along with this board.

Me - get yer butt on that bike tomorrow and start pedlin'
2010-01-10 3:46 AM

Freeland
Happy New Year everyone!  I hope everybody had a good new year.  I am starting this new years almost at my heaviest so it will be a get down to buisness type of year.  I have lost 8.5 lbs in the first week.  Will be setting up a run, bike, swim schedule sonn I hope.  I am glad I saw the postings in the archieve section.  I did not realize you cold look at them. Anyway talk to you later.

Jon

2010-01-10 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Maryland

Congrats on a great 2009 and I look forward to all of your accomplishments in 2010.  Justin, keep on inspiring us!

2010-01-11 9:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
OK, went back and updated my training logs from mid December till now....my coach has really kicked in the workouts (2 a-day 5 days a week and 3 on Sunday).....now I just gotta keep on keppin on.  I think I will try and update the logs weekly as I keep a daily log to send my coach but rarely have time to copy both over after working out..that busy family life ya know!!!

Keep up the good work all!!!
2010-01-11 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Just checking in with everyone.  I'm out of commission for about another week or so.  Finally had the surgery I planned to have last January...the surgery my wife and I decided to wait on that resulted in our soon to be born thrid child.  I'm a big believer in fate..so it must be meant to be!  So no biking or running for another 1.5 weeks and doc says I can't start swimming over the weekend if I choose.
2010-01-21 3:35 PM

User image

What up peeps? Just checkin' in... seeing how y'all are fairin'.  Trying to organize my attack plan for the next couple months... looking forward to the 70.3 in April.

I hope all is well with everyone! Train hard, train smart, and have fun! Let's do this!
2010-01-25 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2627342

User image

Master
Well, yesterday was the crappiest workout I've had in a longtime.  Finally was ready to get back in the saddle again after my Vasectomy.  Was going to get my Bike set up downstairs in the basement on the trainer in anticipation of the baby coming and not being able to get to scheduled cycling classes at the gym.  Before I could do that, had to change out tire (from my better road tire to a more worn out tire) so I didn't ruin my good tire.  Did the change, got the tire remounted, pumped up and bike on trainer.  Noticec my cycling computer was missing, looked all over garage and office for it, can't find it anywhere.  Finally wife suggested that I just workout, and not worry about distance speed etc....this was fine because I was going to do a Spinerval DVD.  Got going on the workout and realized seat felt too low.  Stopped, adjusted seat and got going again...then 5 minutes in, POW!!! rear tube blow...must have had  a twist or something in the tube when I remounted tire.  So they bike workout was scrapped (yes, excellent opportunity to practice quick tire change was wasted).  Decided to run instead and take the dog.  Just as I'm about to walk out the door my uncle calls with urgent question regarding the sale of my passed away grandmother's condo.  Finally get out the door, dog has to keep stopping to go to the bathroom, step in about 3 deep ice cold puddles and my mp3 player runs out of juice at the halfway point. 

Finished run, shorter and easier than usual but should have been due to lack of working out recently.  Felt good but boy was it discouraging how much crap I put up with in trying to get a simple work out in.

Hope everyone is well and starting to ramp up for whatever plans you have.

2010-01-25 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2633292

User image

Master
Maryland

Finished run, shorter and easier than usual but should have been due to lack of working out recently.  Felt good but boy was it discouraging how much crap I put up with in trying to get a simple work out in.

Keep with it and soon it will be routine again!
2010-01-25 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2633465

User image

Master
Thanks for the words of encouragement!  Its not always easy getting back on the horse...the tougjest part for me is knowing I most likely won't compete at all this year but still want to train and build a base...i need to change my psyche to accept that there isn't a deadline or find a way to incorporate mini personal deadlines into my training.  I suspect the latter might work better for me.
2010-01-25 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2633465

User image

Terps421 - 2010-01-25 12:16 PM

Keep with it and soon it will be routine again!

Yep, what Linda said! Think of it as MENTAL training for things to come.  I have been there... like falling off the trainer and braking a spoke or 3 flats in a single ride... good times!  But it to will pass, and you'll get back on track and things will start clicking again!  It's all good in the neighborhood!
2010-02-12 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
I'm glad to see we are all still working at it, and not giving up no matter what.  I've had some major changes lately and I wanted to share one that I posted also on my training blog:

MYSTERY SOLVED:

I have been working my a** off for at least two years at this point...eating well, working out. Well, I've seen several doctors about the fact that I do NOT lose weight. (In the time it took my workout buddy to lose 25 pounds, working out at a lower resistance than me, I lost FOUR).  It turns out, I am correct about my metabolism.  Get this.  I burn about 800 calories less/day than the average woman my age.  That means, with strict dieting and exercise I maintain.

So, my body wants to be obese.  My body would be happiest at about 220.  I have lost weight and am now down to about 176.  This is amazing to my doctor, that I have done this without medication.  My condition is that I am insulin resistant (IR).  I have evaded some of the nastier side effects (and being diagnosed!) simply because of my tenacity and very healthy habits.

My condition will only get worse and there is no cure.  I can take drugs to help, which I might, but at this point vigilance is my best weapon.  I'm so thankful for my health today and to know that if I were not so wild about triathlons, I would be obese is pretty surreal.  The fact is, at age 40 I won't be able to consume more than 1000 calories/day if I don't want to gain weight.  Some good news is that though losing weight is VERY difficult, it is possible AND it helps to counteract the IR!

Suddenly, registering Athena seems to be something I can do with a lot of pride. Plus, not being obese makes me the minority with this condition. So, go me

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  

of 28