in reply to: #1938435

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Subject: RE: Gordo Byrn's Group - FULL
kaiserman19 - 2009-01-30 7:19 PM

Bike: 7.45 miles in 30 min

Run: 0.75 Miles in 10 min

I am having issures with my running, my calves start to tighten up to the point I need to start walking.  I stretch them before and after my runs, but for a month they havent improved.  Is there any exercises or streches I can do to help with this issue.

Thanks

Eccentric exercises for calf strengthening and rehab -- this one probably came up a few pages ago.  So check back.

#1 exercise is calf extensions after running.  Start with the pattern of up on two legs, down on one leg... up on two, down left, up on two, down right.... progress to the point where you can do single leg up and down.  

Press through your big toe and keep perfect foot/ankle/heel alignment -- your foot will tend to twist when you fatigue.  

Do one set of straight leg and one set of bent leg.  You get your gordo-seal-of-approval when you can do 20 reps, single leg, each side, one set straight, one set bent.  

Your calves are, generally, getting tight because they are weak/overloaded, rather than tight.  Put another way, they get tight when they get tired (same thing in shoulders).

What pedals do you have on your bike - speedplay pedals can get loose and strain your calves when the cleat is old.  I recommend Look.

Calf exercise photos (scroll down) - http://www.ashbournerunningclub.org.uk/achi.htm

g

2009-01-31 1:34 PM
in reply to: #1938826

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
junthank - 2009-01-31 9:51 AM
22m 800.00 meters 02m 45s /100 meters
10:00 AM  

Nice swim and it felt really good. Did 1x600 meter rep. followed by 1x200 meter rep. after a one minute rest. Didn't want to go any further. Worked on my technique.

20m 4.50 miles 13.50 Mi/hr
10:30 AM  

On the stationary. Again, just wanted to work up a little sweat but not do too much. HR's:

@10 118
@20 120

G - Where can we find the Gordo Stir Fry Cookbook  ?

I've been asked about recipes quite a bit over the years.  For Joe's book, Paleo for Athletes, I did a 30 hour training week without any processed food or sports nutrition.  We wanted to see what would happen and if we could apply his protocol right to the extreme end of the endurance spectrum (I was in full blown prep for IM NZ at the time).  I kept a food log there but would have no idea where it is -- not that it really matters -- lots of juice and bananas!

This article gives you an idea of how I tend to eat...

http://www.endurancecorner.com/library/nutrition/sports_nutrition_part4

More than matching me (I'm 15 years into improving my nutrition), what I recommend is that people stick with their current plan and make small, incremental, adjustments.  That's what I've done and it is the fastest way to lasting improvement.

g

2009-01-31 1:44 PM
in reply to: #1938964

User image

Champion
GordoByrn - 2009-01-31 1:21 PM

Also called Polo, or Water Polo, swim.

Face forward, head perfectly still, flutter kick (not breast).

polo swim.  NOW, I GOTCHA!

thanks for the fly info. too. i put it in my quick file....

2009-01-31 3:08 PM
in reply to: #1856890

User image

Master
Central, IL
Run 34m 55s 3.33 miles 10m 29s/Mi
Min HR: 38
Avg HR: 152
Max HR: 161
12:42 PM    

Question:  Base-building phase (workout once a day), Peformance-phase (include a couple two-a-days each week).....right?  Are there just two phases?  How many weeks max and min. for the performance phase?   Percentage of time Base VS Performace phase?

2009-01-31 3:13 PM

Illinois

Gordo,

again wanted to thank you for all the insight.  I had a great training month.  Ran over 55 miles (most for me in a January) and swam 10000 yards.  That is the first 10000 yard month I have ever had.  The consistency is paying off.  No injuries.  No muscle soreness.  No fatigue or illness.  Excited about my training every day. 

I did have one concern today.  About 1200 yards into my swim workout, every major muscle group started to cramp.  It started with my pecs, then went to my lats, then quads/hamstrings/calfs/anterior tibs/feet and toes.  I was able to work through another 150 yards, but it got so bad I had to just float on my back to even get out of the pool.  Never happened to me before swimming.  I am a high salt sweater, and it has happened quite a bit through my soccer playing career.  I always had to use Gator Lytes and add extra salt for long workouts.  The only thing different today, I had a busy morning with the kids and didn't really get a good breakfast.  Had a great night of sleep.  No alcohol.  I will see if it happens again.  Any ideas?

2009-01-31 3:36 PM
in reply to: #1938971

User image

Expert

What pedals do you have on your bike - speedplay pedals can get loose and strain your calves when the cleat is old.  I recommend Look.

I have crank brother pedals.

Biked 45 minutes for 10.45 miles

2009-01-31 6:10 PM
in reply to: #1939106

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
kaiserman19 - 2009-01-31 2:36 PM

I have crank brother pedals.

I don't have direct experience with those ones -- key thing to check is if your shoe can move/rattle (side-to-side) when clipped in.  In that case, you get a slight pronation with each pedal cycle.  Over time, that tires your calf.  

g

2009-01-31 6:16 PM
in reply to: #1939075

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Writebrained - 2009-01-31 2:08 PM

Question:  Base-building phase (workout once a day), Peformance-phase (include a couple two-a-days each week).....right?  Are there just two phases?  How many weeks max and min. for the performance phase?   Percentage of time Base VS Performace phase?

In general, there is a continuum from training 0-21 times per week.  The right training program will depend on a mixture of time available to train and capacity to recover from training.

Most of us can improve for years by training 5x per week.  More than aiming to get-to-a-plan, focus on what plan makes sense for your life, then do periodic testing to see if you are improving.  Of course this assumes that your true goal is improvement -- more most of us, improvement isn't our main goal.  While we are motivated by improvement, there are other goals that drive us.

Generally speaking, the more highly trained an athlete becomes, the greater the need for additional (and variable) training.  However, there comes a point of greatly increased risks as well as greatly reduced returns -- the best example of this is swimming where an athlete might work for years to trim 1-2 seconds of their time.

g

2009-01-31 6:18 PM
in reply to: #1939082

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
BBDope - 2009-01-31 2:13 PM

Gordo,

again wanted to thank you for all the insight.  I had a great training month.  Ran over 55 miles (most for me in a January) and swam 10000 yards.  That is the first 10000 yard month I have ever had.  The consistency is paying off.  No injuries.  No muscle soreness.  No fatigue or illness.  Excited about my training every day. 

I did have one concern today.  About 1200 yards into my swim workout, every major muscle group started to cramp.  It started with my pecs, then went to my lats, then quads/hamstrings/calfs/anterior tibs/feet and toes.  I was able to work through another 150 yards, but it got so bad I had to just float on my back to even get out of the pool.  Never happened to me before swimming.  I am a high salt sweater, and it has happened quite a bit through my soccer playing career.  I always had to use Gator Lytes and add extra salt for long workouts.  The only thing different today, I had a busy morning with the kids and didn't really get a good breakfast.  Had a great night of sleep.  No alcohol.  I will see if it happens again.  Any ideas?

I've had that happen to my before as a result of glycerol ingestion (perhaps, we never really know, do we?).

Your doc can can have your electrolyte panel checked out for you -- if this happens again then I'd get the testing done.  It will give you piece of mind and might identify an area where you require supplementation.

g

2009-01-31 7:24 PM
in reply to: #1939256

User image

Master
Central, IL
GordoByrn - 2009-01-31 6:16 PM

In general, there is a continuum from training 0-21 times per week.  The right training program will depend on a mixture of time available to train and capacity to recover from training.

Most of us can improve for years by training 5x per week.  More than aiming to get-to-a-plan, focus on what plan makes sense for your life, then do periodic testing to see if you are improving.  Of course this assumes that your true goal is improvement -- more most of us, improvement isn't our main goal.  While we are motivated by improvement, there are other goals that drive us.

Generally speaking, the more highly trained an athlete becomes, the greater the need for additional (and variable) training.  However, there comes a point of greatly increased risks as well as greatly reduced returns -- the best example of this is swimming where an athlete might work for years to trim 1-2 seconds of their time.

g

I'm really making this whole thing a lot harder than it really is...aren't I?   I should just be consistent, do the work, and enjoy the sport, right?  Over-annalyizing?

The goal of "improvement" is one I took for granted and just assumed it was THE only goal and it was everyone's goal.    Obviously, not.  

Feak'n Type A personality.

You go me think'n G-man! 

2009-01-31 11:16 PM
in reply to: #1939259

Illinois

GordoByrn - 2009-01-31 6:18 PM

Gordo,

I've had that happen to my before as a result of glycerol ingestion (perhaps, we never really know, do we?).

Your doc can can have your electrolyte panel checked out for you -- if this happens again then I'd get the testing done.  It will give you piece of mind and might identify an area where you require supplementation.

g

I am a sports med physician.  I deal with this in my patients/athletes all the time.  It just hasn't happened to me in a long time.  There is always those cases that happen to yourself or kids and all common sense/rational and practical thinking goes out the window.  With me it is always a nutritional issue.  It was so bad in college once after an overtime game in high heat and humidity that I was in the ER with IV fluids and Valium.  And over the last two days I have been at a sodium deficit.  Two workouts and poor nutritional intake.  I am now 10 hours post incidence, a couple meals under my belt, and I feel fine.  Plan on getting my run in tomorrow before the Super Bowl.

I do have another question.  I am scheduled to travel quite a bit this year with the national teams.  I will be in Spain for 15 days just 2 months before my first oly.  I will be able to train with the team to an extent (my age and decreasing ability to keep up definitely limit me at that level), but how do you deal with travel and training?  I guess I will just make do. 

2009-02-01 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran

Sunday is brick day. Did a horrible job of controlling heart rates, but the workout itself was good and my 'perceived effort' was pretty low. Felt like I was just cruising. Not sure what that means.

Brick itself is either getting easier or I'm more comfortable with the transition from bike to  run. Got in a grove after 4-5 minutes today. I do notice that when my bike and run candences are close (82 bike and 85 run today) the transition seems more natural? Coincidence?

Bike: 29:09 - 7.69 miles (15.83 mph)

Heart Rate Data

50% - 60% 115 - 128 27s
60% - 70% 128 - 142 07m 42s
70% - 80% 142 - 155 20m 55s

Transition - 1:27.

Run 26:58 - 2.14 miles (12:36 pace)

50% - 60% 115 - 128 03s
60% - 70% 128 - 141 07m 39s
70% - 80% 141 - 154 19m 49s
80% - 90% 154 - 168 26s
2009-02-01 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Knocked out 1:15 min on the trainer, legs really started to feel it at the end....but got R dun. 

Gonna watch some Football.  Smile  Go Steelers!

2009-02-01 3:36 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Well folks  - it's done - I completed my first TRI.  I detailed the experience in my training log.  I was pretty detailed in my log so I won't duplicate all the data in the group forum (if interested you can check it out under Race: SuperBowl Y TRI on Feb. 1st in my training log).  Needless to say it was a SUPER experience - well worth the last 3 months of training.  For those of you who have completed a TRI you know what I'm talking about.  For those of you who have not completed their 1st TRI - you are in for a treat.  I did  say the following in the race log and it bears repeating here:

To my fellow G-Man mentoree's - your day is coming. I can't wait to cheer you on. You going to love the experience. THANKS for all the support.

To the G-Man himself - THANK YOU. You said you were going to help me get to my Superbowl. You did that and so much more.

The journey has just started.

Regards,

Jeff

Edited by junthank 2009-02-01 5:03 PM
2009-02-01 4:27 PM

Illinois
Congrats!  I am going to read that race report right now.
2009-02-01 11:34 PM
in reply to: #1939321

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Writebrained - 2009-01-31 6:24 PM
GordoByrn - 2009-01-31 6:16 PM

g

I'm really making this whole thing a lot harder than it really is...aren't I?   I should just be consistent, do the work, and enjoy the sport, right?  Over-annalyizing?

The goal of "improvement" is one I took for granted and just assumed it was THE only goal and it was everyone's goal.    Obviously, not.  

Feak'n Type A personality.

You go me think'n G-man! 

The process of overthinking things is natural when we invest a lot of ourselves and have passion.  It wasn't until I really got stuck into everything that I started to see threads of simplicity/consistency in the information different people were telling me.  It's REALLY challenging to get myself to do this because my mind always wants to focus on the flaws, the differences, what isn't similar.  I credit my teachers/mentors/pals for helping me sort through things.  In athletics, Hellemans and Molina have been essential to me.

g

2009-02-01 11:36 PM
in reply to: #1939524

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
BBDope - 2009-01-31 10:16 PM

GordoByrn - 2009-01-31 6:18 PM

Gordo,

g

I am a sports med physician.  I deal with this in my patients/athletes all the time.  It just hasn't happened to me in a long time.  There is always those cases that happen to yourself or kids and all common sense/rational and practical thinking goes out the window.  With me it is always a nutritional issue.  It was so bad in college once after an overtime game in high heat and humidity that I was in the ER with IV fluids and Valium.  And over the last two days I have been at a sodium deficit.  Two workouts and poor nutritional intake.  I am now 10 hours post incidence, a couple meals under my belt, and I feel fine.  Plan on getting my run in tomorrow before the Super Bowl.

I do have another question.  I am scheduled to travel quite a bit this year with the national teams.  I will be in Spain for 15 days just 2 months before my first oly.  I will be able to train with the team to an extent (my age and decreasing ability to keep up definitely limit me at that level), but how do you deal with travel and training?  I guess I will just make do. 

Travel / Jet Lag  / Training... one of my athletes asked me a similar question recently.  Here's what I said...

I spent three months commuting between New Zealand and Scotland in early 2006. Here's what I learned (eventually):

You'll be tempted to bank training before the trip -- don't, you simply bank fatigue going into a tiring situation.

No coffee, no alcohol, no sugar when traveling -- remove anything that might mess with your brain chemistry or sleep patterns.

Once you arrive, wake up at a normal local time -- OK to use coffee to keep yourself from going to bed just after lunch.

Gemany to Utah in < week is very tough -- you might almost consider NOT fully adjusting to the time zone.

When you get back, you will be tired, but muscularly fresh from the lower training load -- you must taper back to training gradually.

So... for a trip up to a week -- 36 hours taper in to, and out of, the trip // <1 hour of light activity (per day) at your location -- nothing over steady. Then ease back to training on return.

Even if you do everything right, it's really tiring -- just the way it is as an int'l jet setter...

g

2009-02-01 11:37 PM
in reply to: #1940094

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
junthank - 2009-02-01 2:36 PM

Well folks  - it's done - I completed my first TRI.  I detailed the experience in my training log.  I was pretty detailed in my log so I won't duplicate all the data in the group forum (if interested you can check it out under Race: SuperBowl Y TRI on Feb. 1st in my training log).  Needless to say it was a SUPER experience - well worth the last 3 months of training.  For those of you who have completed a TRI you know what I'm talking about.  For those of you who have not completed their 1st TRI - you are in for a treat.  I did  say the following in the race log and it bears repeating here:

To my fellow G-Man mentoree's - your day is coming. I can't wait to cheer you on. You going to love the experience. THANKS for all the support.

To the G-Man himself - THANK YOU. You said you were going to help me get to my Superbowl. You did that and so much more.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff --

Congrats!  

My pleasure to assist.

g

2009-02-02 6:18 AM

User image

Regular
Essex, England

Hi Stacie

bet you are happy today after the Steelers win, didnt watch the game as coverage over here starts at midnight.

woke to 8 inches of snow in and around London so the whole country has ground to a halt. indoor training only for me for the next week I think

2009-02-02 7:43 AM
in reply to: #1940656

User image

Champion
Pashda - 2009-02-02 6:18 AM

Hi Stacie

bet you are happy today after the Steelers win, didnt watch the game as coverage over here starts at midnight.

woke to 8 inches of snow in and around London so the whole country has ground to a halt. indoor training only for me for the next week I think

HI DAVE and TEAM.

happy.  Oh my! 

it was ABSOLUTE PANDEMONIUM. 

WHAT A GAME.   a ROLLER COASTER RIDE of the most excellent, but nervewracking kind.

i was saying it all season, they can never win it easy.  last night was NO exception.

but OH WHAT A WIN! 

it will be one of those LEGENDARY GAMES we'll be talking about for YEARS to come.

(it would be awesome even in re-run if you get a chance to see it even though you know the outcome....)

always a BLAST to be the home of the winning team, for the BURGH, its #6!!  SWEET!

as for the weather, seems that Punxsutawney Phil, our weather predicting groundhog famous in these parts, saw his shadow today.  http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/8338543

DAMN RODENT. 

that means 6 more weeks of winter! 

[i know.  scratch your head.  we DO have strange customs here on the other side of the pond/in Western PA.  groundhogs predicting our weather.....LOL]

hang in there, DAVE [im feelin' it too] 

SPRING WILL COME....

EVENTUALLY.

stacieb

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-02-02 8:32 AM
2009-02-02 8:15 AM
in reply to: #1939918

User image

Champion
Writebrained - 2009-02-01 12:47 PM

Knocked out 1:15 min on the trainer, legs really started to feel it at the end....but got R dun. 

Gonna watch some Football.  Smile  Go Steelers!

JOHN, some game huh?  im still recovering,(wasnt even drinking) WHAT a rollercoaster ride of a WIN. 

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-02-02 9:27 AM

2009-02-02 8:19 AM
in reply to: #1940094

User image

Champion
junthank - 2009-02-01 3:36 PM

Regards,

Jeff

JEFF.  i read your race report....

a most excellent race!  excellent!

i replied to your race report, but wanted to repeat it here:  you have every reason to be TOTALLY SATISFIED....savor the moment, celebrate the accomplishment and look to the horizon....

ONWARDANDUPWARD!

stacieb

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-02-02 8:20 AM
2009-02-02 12:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi

Sorry in advance for the long post, and so many questions… I have a lot going on…

I did my first official Brick work-out... the Bike portion was AWESOME 14.5 miles in 66 minutes with hills! but apparently I left it all on the bike... I got off the bike, and it took me about 3 minutes to start running. I ran for the first 5 minutes, and had to walk... then my shins starting hurting – I’m super sensitive to my shins since my stress fracture last may - so I ended up walking most of the 24 minutes (we were supposed to do 30 min... oops)

I feel like I failed the brick miserably... Next week is another Brick. 

The coach said I may be pointing my toes on the bike... Could that be the issue? After reading what you wrote to kaiserman19. I’m wondering if I have a “fit” problem on my bike… I haven’t gotten professionally fitted and I’m not sure if I put my cleats on my shoes in an optimum way. I am using the Shimano SPD-SL 540 pedals.

I went to the LRS yesterday, and after trying out tons of shoes, we settled on Motion Control shoes, which is a switch from Stability shoes for me... so I did a VERY slow - with lots of walking breaks - run this morning.

After the first mile, my shins were hurting a bit, so I walked most of the 2nd mile - I was gonna give up and go home, but I was feeling pretty good towards the end of the 2nd mile, so I kept going… I did 3 more miles with walk breaks for a total of 5 miles. By the end of my run, I was feeling pretty confident about the new shoes.

My next run is another Brick... I’d like to rotate my shoes, but I kinda want to run in the Motion Control to see how they do on the brick.... Both shoes are New Balance (1225 & 1101)... Any advice is appreciated.

I’ll do the exercises that you recommended to kaiserman19 as my LRS salesman recommended very similar exercises… so that’s a start J

Edited by Cardholic 2009-02-02 12:25 PM
2009-02-02 12:35 PM

User image

New York

G,
I have an indoor cycling questions for you.  Right now I've been focusing on increasing cadence and doing one leg drills (usually twice per week).  On Saturday I do a longer aerobic ride(warm-up and a 30-60' ride in steady zone @ 80rpm).  All three of these workouts are in a really low (ie easy) gear.   After looking at the bike workouts posted on your site.....

Question:  As a total newbie should I include "Big Gear" Training in one of my 3 weekly bike workouts?  If so how, would I begin incorporating this? Any HR suggstions?

Question 2:  What is the best way to prepare for hills if you can only ride inside?

Thanks
Doug G 

Edited by DGubner 2009-02-02 4:25 PM
2009-02-02 1:06 PM

User image

Champion

hello there.  

a MOST SPLENDID run this morning.  a shortie - 21 mins  [plus 20 mins of ST]

felt a little 'off' at the start of the day up until i started working out.

no doubt due to the late night, junk food et al. 

im a pretty scheduled person, partly due to my temperment, partly due to the fact that i have young children, and party due to my training.  i go to bed at the same time almost every night (early) and eat the same foods day to day.  i thrive w structure, routine, predictability (being flexible, going w the flow is what i 'work' at)  i do better, and i know my training benefits as well.

BUT today was a good indicator just how much deviations have an impact.  of course life is such, and superbowls dont happen everyday, carpe diem.  all work and no play...

todays a new day. im back at it.  though the impact was noteworthy.  i guess as you grow as athlete you become more aware/mindful.

onward.

HR DATA 21 MIN RUN 2/2

START:  86  walk 4.6

10 MIN:  123  5.0

6 MIN:  141/136  walk 4.8, run 5.2

13 MIN:  142/137  5.4

20 MIN:  145/135  4.0  [i was humming along at 140-143 this entire 6 min segment until right at the end, the final 30 secs it jumped to 145]

4/END:  103

MIN:  86

AV:  134

PK:  148

DISTANCE:  1.72 miles

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-02-02 1:40 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gordo Byrn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 51