BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-06-05 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2068936

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED
I have been so overloaded with ranch work and kid stuff that I don't even remember when I posted last or what I said! Then to top it all off, we had a little fender bender with my 17yo son's pickup last night! No one was hurt but the pickup door has a rather large crease in it, can't be opened and the back window is gone. We hit wet, slimy dirt roads with a large trailer full of 2 bulls and 4 horses. They weighed more than we did and started pushing the pickup on the slimy mud. We ended up jackknifed with the trailer front pressed into the cab of the pickup. Pretty scary...but all is okay in the end....just more to do. Like I am leaving right now to go to town so the insurance can take pics and then to body shops for estimates for the insurance. We will most likely do the work ourselves but we still have to go through the paperwork so we can get paid. Then I have to get an alternator for our own pickup so we can get it running!

Drama over for now.....

I will be doing my first sprint Tri June 28 in Cheyenne, WY.

Time to get on the road....
Sharie

2009-06-05 2:15 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-05 5:40 PM

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Hi all!  Well I just had an interesting workout...can read my training log if you'd like - it's a bit entertaining Laughing

I added some pictures to my album - so that I can hopefully continue to track visual progress on my tri journey.  I realized today that I have a LONG way to go! Which I'm trying to look at as good...as in, if I only had a little bit to go it'd be harder to see progress - but since I have more...I see progress more frequently!! Undecided

2009-06-07 9:29 AM

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi,

I just read in two places that you're not supposed to wear underwear with your bike shorts. I didn't know that.

Denise
2009-06-07 4:23 PM
in reply to: #2199968

Expert
Missouri
LadyNorth - 2009-06-07 9:29 AM Hi,

I just read in two places that you're not supposed to wear underwear with your bike shorts. I didn't know that.

Denise

I think that's more of a personal preference.  I don't, but I know other people who do.  It really depends on what you're comfortable with. 
2009-06-07 4:27 PM

Expert
Missouri
Hey ladies!  I did a 5k this morning.  Finished in 34:51 which is a little higher than normal for me, but the course was all hills and my right leg (calf/shin area) has been bothering me this week so I took some short walk breaks on the larger hills.  It was a nice run - race report is up if you're interested. 

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Janet

2009-06-07 8:53 PM

Veteran
Northern VA
Hey All! 
Hope everyone had a good weekend! I ran the Susan G. Koman Global Race for the Cure 5k on sat. It was fun, and I did my best 5k so far 27:29 (from my watch, the results were not posted last time I checked)! That was flying for me, and I think I could have done better if I hadn't strated so far back thinking I would be slow and the fast people would make their way to the front... oh well lesson learned. My shin started hurting pretty early into it but not too bad to stop, but today the top of my foot is really hurting, I am hoping it is just tendonitis, it has been coming and going for about a week and a half now, always after running.

I also made it to the first sunday swim practice in about a month, that was nice. 

For the challange, I made my 3 ab workouts for the week.
Kami 
2009-06-07 10:53 PM
in reply to: #2200895

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
freeflykami - 2009-06-07 8:53 PM 
  It was fun, and I did my best 5k so far 27:29 
Kami 

Wow - what a great time - I'm impressed.
Denise
2009-06-08 9:37 AM

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY
Happy Monday!

Some great 5Ks over the weekend.  Great job!

I haven't been online much from home.  The relator was showing the house over the weekend so we had to find things to do away from home.  On the bright side, he just sent me a text that we may be close to getting an offer.  I hope so.  Once it sells I can go back to packing and not have to spend so much time cleaning. Poor kids are afraid to touch anything!

I did the longest run of my training plan yesterday - 47 minutes - and ended up going 4.5 miles, which is the farthest I've ever run.  Now I start my race taper.  (19 days - yikes!)

Hope everyone's week is off to a good start!Smile
2009-06-08 10:08 AM

Hi Everyone!

I'm officially back.  Luckily I worked a couple extra weeks into my training program, so I am able to jump back in where I left off without too much trouble.  It has been a little difficult getting back into training mode, though.

Please forgive me for not going back through the 16 pages of posts that I missed.  I hope everyone is doing well.
2009-06-08 3:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi,

We had frost 2 nights ago and it's only getting up to 48 today.  I don't know when the lakes will warm up enough for swimming.  Minnesota is a very difficult place to train for tris.  Oh well.  Makes it more of a challenge (and I handle the cold better than heat - I would die in Florida)

Denise

2009-06-08 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2203068

Veteran
Queens, NY
LadyNorth - 2009-06-08 3:18 PM Hi,

We had frost 2 nights ago and it's only getting up to 48 today.  I don't know when the lakes will warm up enough for swimming.  Minnesota is a very difficult place to train for tris.  Oh well.  Makes it more of a challenge (and I handle the cold better than heat - I would die in Florida)

Denise

I would love your current weather! I sweat alot and once it starts hitting the 70's I am uncomfortable and soaking wet once I start doing anything.
2009-06-08 5:44 PM

Veteran
Wyoming
We are so cold, too! I swam at an outdoor pool once last week and the lifeguard had on sweats, a hoodie with hood up and a winter coat over that! There I was swimming. She said the water temp was 72*. For the last 2 days it has barely gotten above 50* with lots of rain and mild winds. I am hoping to go ride my bike tonight but brrrr.....I will have to bundle up even for that!

Thought I should post my weekly challenge figure: 1.56miles swimming. GO TEAM FIRECRACKERS!!!

I will go on Wednesday - I hope the weather cooperates and we get the branding done in time - and make my first attempt at an open water swim with wetsuit. It is a practice swim for my Tri. There is another on Sunday. I will see how Wed. goes before deciding to try on Sunday and then I will have to decide about the actual race. Right now I am signed up for the pool. The entries for the pool are closed - limited to 50 - and there are 5 other 50-54 women....so some competition. The ows is still open, but right now there is only 1 woman in the 50-54 AG. I decided not to worry about numbers and chose the swim where I feel the most comfortable.

Edited by ranchrunner 2009-06-08 5:51 PM
2009-06-08 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2203419

Veteran
Queens, NY
Go Firecrackers, indeed! That's great, Sharie!
2009-06-08 8:57 PM

Hi ladies-
Back from my reunion - did I mention I was the reunion chair so I did the planning for the events?  Anyway, all events went well and most folks had a great time.  I got lots of complements and only one person go nuts about something - but I figure you can't please everyone in a group of 300!

I got lots of walking in while I was there - it was very hilly (no wonder I was in much better shape in college!). 

They also had a reunion run - with a 2 mile and 5 mile option.  I went for 2 because my big events were later in the day and I figured I couldn't be too wiped out.  I wasn't expecting anything, but I got a new PB in the 2 mile of 23:33! I know that is slow for most, but it was fast enough to win 2nd place in my AG (they also had walkers on the course, so I mostly beat the walkers, but hey, win is a win!).   And the biggest mental boost for me was that I ran the whole time - normally I do run/walk intervals, but I felt good and just said "I think I'll see how far I can run" - and I did it!

I was exhausted at the end of the weekend and into this morning, but I did get into the pool.  It felt good - warm today - but I could tell I was slower than normal.  Still glad I got the workout in.

Ok, so finally - Team B - we need a name!  How about the Beach Babes or Wahines (prounounced Wah - hee - NEE - Hawaiian for girl)?  I also liked Sparklers or Margaritas that someone on Team C suggested - but I don't want to steal their suggestions.

Mary SueCool
2009-06-08 9:37 PM

Veteran
Wyoming
Sounds like a great reunion Mary Sue! WTG on the AG placing and the time! To me, there is no such thing as slow! I think it was yesterday that I read something like "I may be slow, but I am faster than you sitting on the couch!" You know, I have been out of high school for 34 years and have never been to a reunion. I had a chance once but it was right in the middle of the worst of my adrenal stuff...actually I think it was right around the time they thought it was cancer....anyway, I didn't look too good and just couldn't face so many people.

I noticed when posting that all the style selections for posting are gone....only a few emoticons on the side panel??? Is that just me or is it true for everyone?

Sharie

2009-06-08 10:20 PM
in reply to: #2203879

Illinois

Mary Sue,

Glad to hear your reunion went well.  I don't even know if my college (with 9,000 in the graduating class) holds reunions. 

I'd opt for Beach Babes since the water is the one area in which I feel very comfortable.  I'm not very happy that at our mini-tri they've halved the swim to a walk/swim thru a lazy river.  I figure too many people had too much trouble with the swim.

I have not been biking for the last few weeks.  I did pull a bike out today so I'll try to take it to the bike shop tomorrow and see if it can be made workable.  I'll have to really kick it up to make my goal. 

My work schedule is really slacking off so I'll have more time to train.  I did sign up for a tri-training class thru our park district as long as I can get up in the morning.

Sue

2009-06-09 11:55 AM

Master
Anyone from Team C checking in?  We need a name!

I've got 7 miles of my running done.  Only, let's see.....48 to go!

I actually took my bike out on the road yesterday.  It seems that every time I've had a bike workout scheduled either it was too cold, raining, or there was some reason I had to stay at home, so I've been putting my bike on the trainer.  Last night I decided I had to get off the trainer before my tri, so I went out for a ride.  Wouldn't you know it started raining while I was out there!  Got 5.5 miles done before I gave up.
2009-06-09 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2203879

Expert
Missouri
myoun - 2009-06-08 8:57 PM Hi ladies-
Back from my reunion - did I mention I was the reunion chair so I did the planning for the events?  Anyway, all events went well and most folks had a great time.  I got lots of complements and only one person go nuts about something - but I figure you can't please everyone in a group of 300!

I got lots of walking in while I was there - it was very hilly (no wonder I was in much better shape in college!). 

They also had a reunion run - with a 2 mile and 5 mile option.  I went for 2 because my big events were later in the day and I figured I couldn't be too wiped out.  I wasn't expecting anything, but I got a new PB in the 2 mile of 23:33! I know that is slow for most, but it was fast enough to win 2nd place in my AG (they also had walkers on the course, so I mostly beat the walkers, but hey, win is a win!).   And the biggest mental boost for me was that I ran the whole time - normally I do run/walk intervals, but I felt good and just said "I think I'll see how far I can run" - and I did it!

I was exhausted at the end of the weekend and into this morning, but I did get into the pool.  It felt good - warm today - but I could tell I was slower than normal.  Still glad I got the workout in.

Ok, so finally - Team B - we need a name!  How about the Beach Babes or Wahines (prounounced Wah - hee - NEE - Hawaiian for girl)?  I also liked Sparklers or Margaritas that someone on Team C suggested - but I don't want to steal their suggestions.

Mary SueCool

Congrats on the 2 mile run and the AG win!  Glad you had a good time at the reunion.

As for a team name - Beach Babes works for me too (although there's not a "real" beach within many miles of me - that's what I get for living in the midwestLaughing).  Unfortunately I'm not starting off too well on the challenge.  Only 45 min of biking last week, and that was on the stationary at the gym!  I'd better start getting my butt out the door if I'm going to make my goal of 20 hours by the end of July.  Fortunately that's the good thing about these challenges - gives me the motivation I need!
2009-06-09 4:51 PM

Looks like Team B is the Beach Babes then!  Go Babes!

As for me, I just feel exhausted and unmotivated this week.  I think my body is telling me it's time for a recovery week.  I did get to the gym and did a half-hearted 30 min on the bike, but I dreaded every minute of it which is kind of unlike me.  I'm keeping up with my challenge (6 workouts a week), though - but they are a little shorter and less intense than normal.  Maybe I'll try going to bed earlier tonight to see if that helps.

Mary Sue
2009-06-09 7:14 PM

Master
Loveland, Ohio
SHARIE:  Glad everyone - both human and animal - is OK.  I've got your 1.5 miles noted.  I think that is a wise decision about choosing the water in which you're most comfortable, though I do hope you get comfortable enough in the open water between now and then.

LISA:  I know you were kind of joking, but you're so right about having a lot of progress to make.

DENISE:  That IS true about no underwear.  Personally, I wear them, but will try to change when I get a new pair.  HOWEVER, I definitely don't wear any underneath my tri shorts - because I swim in them.  48 degrees?  I do NOT envy you guys in the north.  Wow!

JANET:  Congrats on finishing your 5K!  I always give myself a little slack when hills are involved.  Glad the challenge is giving you some motivation.

KAMI:  Congrats on your 5K PR!  Take it easy on those legs.  I've got your goal-meeting noted.

DEBBIE:  My fingers are crossed for you on closing your house.  Congrats on going your longest distance the other day!  Woo hoo!

ALICIA:  Glad you're back.  Getting back into training is hard, but you just gotta take that first step.  Once you start building those color blocks in your training log, that'll help motivate you more, too.

MARY SUE:  Congrats on coming in 2 place in your AG, and I'm glad to hear the reunion went so well.  I always tell folks to never be embarrassed by your speed.  We all start somewhere and compared to our former couch potato selves, at least we now have a speed!    Listen to your body.  You'll soon learn the difference between your body begging for a break and your mind being lazy.

SUE:  I really hope you can make it to that tri training class.  You will REALLY be glad that you did.

I'm going to add Maggie to Team C.  How's the name coming along?  So far, we've got Firecrackers and Beach Babes.  C'mon, Team C! 

I've got that Kami, Sharie and Mary Sue met their goals last week, Debbie got in 7 miles on the run, and Janet got in 45 minutes on the bike.  Congratulations, guys!

So, until others report, right now Team Beach Babes and Team C are tied in the lead and Firecrackers are pulling up the rear.

2009-06-09 9:36 PM

New user
Hi ladies..

good job on all the 5ks!  I wish i could sign up for a tri training class...so jealous!! 

I am sore today.  I did a full body circuit/interval work out at the gym yesterday.  It was tough!  I ran 3 miles today on the TM.  I wanted to run outside, but it looked pretty ominous out. 

OK Team C here are some suggestions for a name:  Stars and Stripes (for July 4th), Abusement Park, Super heros in Training, Sharkbait, triple threat all stars....any takers?  (I'll admit...I googled these)
2009-06-10 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2206632

Veteran
Northern VA
I like Abusement Park :0)
2009-06-10 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2207916

Master
freeflykami - 2009-06-10 1:25 PM I like Abusement Park :0)

Works for me!
2009-06-10 2:34 PM

Master
Loveland, Ohio
OK, Abusement Park it is!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36