BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-03-16 9:41 PM
in reply to: #2726016

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.

barelfly - 2010-03-14 10:07 PM Hi guys! I'm on vacation and lovin it! Only inet access is on my wifes blackberry so I may be quiwter than normal. But hope your weekend was fabulous. Hope the weather was nice and weveryonwe got outside!

Enjoy it.

2010-03-16 9:41 PM
in reply to: #2726217

User image

Elite

ray6foot7 - 2010-03-15 7:28 AM Headed out on the road for a few days to sell some seedlings across western Oklahoma.  Hope everyone had a great weekend, and wishing you a good upcoming week of training. 

Sounds like fun?

2010-03-16 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2728467

User image

Elite

billsorg - 2010-03-16 8:31 AM It appears that "monsoon" season may be finally over here.  The flooding was pretty crazy here too.  But the weather looks outstanding for the next week or so... low to mid 60's and no rain.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, maybe), I'm in my taper week, so I can't take full advantage of it.  And the extended forecast is saying the weather should be perfect for my race on Sunday... starting in the upper 40's at the start of the race and in the upper 50's when I finish.

I was able to do a 3.4 mi speed interval treadmill run this morning.  I ended up "tapering" quite a bit more than I anticipated.  Once again, "life" got in the way and this morning was my first "real" workout in 4 or 5 days.  But I'm still very psyched for the upcoming race!

You will do great. Take it easy the first 3miles if you are feeling good, increase the pace a bit. Keep steady until mile 8. Start pushing after mile 10.

2010-03-16 11:00 PM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
Hi all. So after following advice from our group and running more often for my upcoming sprint, I've seen some improvement in overall performance. Now I'm a month out to the race and want to know if adding in 400 repeats would be beneficial or if I should stay the course with 3-4mixed paced runs a week for the next 4 weeks? I'd like to be 25-26. Mins for my 5k that has some good hills included. Just curious what you all think.On a side note. Ill do inspires when I get home. I can't figure out how to open them on the blackberry.
2010-03-17 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Thanks all for the advice and inspires.  I'm excited for the race. 

Here's the plan... The course is flat for the first 6 miles, then there is a pretty steady climb from mile 6 to mile 9 of about 700 feet, then it's back downhill that same 700 feet from miles 10-13.  My goal is to try and stay between 9:00 and 9:30 for the first 6 miles, try to keep the 3 mile "uphill climb" under 10:00, recover a little during the 1 mile level portion between miles 9-10 and then hammer miles 10-13 with everything I have left.

Nutritional plan... Oatmeal w/PB and bananas in the morning. Drink some Heed elecrolyte drink on the way to the race (plus my morning coffee).  Power Bar.  Take a few Enduralyte tablets just prior to the race.  Run with a bottle of Heed in my fuel belt to sip on.  Grab water at the aid stations.  Maybe take a couple Hammer gels along for the run, just in case.

Too much?  Not enough?
2010-03-17 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2730823

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good luck bill! I can't help on your question about nutrition but I can cheer you on from across the country!

2010-03-17 2:05 PM

User image

NH
I can't wait to see your race report Bill.  Your race will go great.  And I also thank everyone for race advice.  Even if these aren't "A" races, it's good to get the mental side sharp as well.

I think race day nutrition is pretty personal, meaning you have to do something you're familiar with - nothing new the morning of the race.  The basics are hydrate and carbs, very low fiber, nothing big 2 hours within race start, and I think you have that covered.

I also think the week before the race just eat your normal diet with a slightly higher emphasis on carbs, emphasis on slightly.  The carb loading thing is overdone I believe.  Hydrate very well for the few days prior to the race, and I think your hydration will be fine.  Since this is "only" a two hour effort, actual race hydration and gels are more up to you since 2 hours is just outside the stored glycogen level of your body - again, the race nutrition should be something your body and digestive system are used to.  Unless you are Aaron and have an iron stomach!  Laughing

I plan to use 2 oz of hammer gel and about 24-30 oz water - mainly because that's been my long run protocol so I'm used to it, and I'm happy with how my body feels at the end of the long runs.  Train for the nutrition as well as the actual physical exertion.

So to sum up what took me 250 word to say:  I think the best plan is to stick with what you've done in training!
2010-03-17 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2730407

User image

Expert
WA
aarondavidson - 2010-03-16 7:41 Am

Everyone. Some cool videos of U23 or U18 kids warming up on them before a track race. Crazy to see.

Where is the link??
2010-03-17 4:24 PM
in reply to: #2730409

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
aarondavidson - 2010-03-16 9:41 PM

ray6foot7 - 2010-03-15 7:28 AM Headed out on the road for a few days to sell some seedlings across western Oklahoma.  Hope everyone had a great weekend, and wishing you a good upcoming week of training. 

Sounds like fun?

uh............not really.  Wink
2010-03-17 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
back home - thanks for the inspires - the tan on the arms is looking good. Farmer boy already!

I know we've posted pics of our rides/runs and such in the past, and there's something about riding 10 miles parallel to the lake that I wanted to share with everyone.

hope your week is going well!

(butte pic.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
butte pic.jpg (24KB - 11 downloads)
2010-03-17 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2730505

User image

Elite

barelfly - 2010-03-17 12:00 AM Hi all. So after following advice from our group and running more often for my upcoming sprint, I've seen some improvement in overall performance. Now I'm a month out to the race and want to know if adding in 400 repeats would be beneficial or if I should stay the course with 3-4mixed paced runs a week for the next 4 weeks? I'd like to be 25-26. Mins for my 5k that has some good hills included. Just curious what you all think.On a side note. Ill do inspires when I get home. I can't figure out how to open them on the blackberry.

I would keep the longer runs. Skip the track work for now. If you want, maybe warm up for a mile then run 2mi at race pace, and then another mile easy.

2010-03-17 8:38 PM
in reply to: #2730823

User image

Elite

billsorg - 2010-03-17 9:13 AM Thanks all for the advice and inspires.  I'm excited for the race. 

Here's the plan... The course is flat for the first 6 miles, then there is a pretty steady climb from mile 6 to mile 9 of about 700 feet, then it's back downhill that same 700 feet from miles 10-13.  My goal is to try and stay between 9:00 and 9:30 for the first 6 miles, try to keep the 3 mile "uphill climb" under 10:00, recover a little during the 1 mile level portion between miles 9-10 and then hammer miles 10-13 with everything I have left.

Nutritional plan... Oatmeal w/PB and bananas in the morning. Drink some Heed elecrolyte drink on the way to the race (plus my morning coffee).  Power Bar.  Take a few Enduralyte tablets just prior to the race.  Run with a bottle of Heed in my fuel belt to sip on.  Grab water at the aid stations.  Maybe take a couple Hammer gels along for the run, just in case.

Too much?  Not enough?

That seems like overkill. Food/eating look good. I would skip on the enduralytes. Maybe take them just in case, but are you normally taking 'salt pills' before your long runs? Does the course offer Gatorade or the like? Why take the heed? Two gels max.

If you think you need all that go for it, but that seems like a ton of calories during and a ton of "salt" prior.

2010-03-17 8:43 PM

User image

Elite

Great videos on bike repairs: http://bicycletutor.com/guide/

2010-03-17 8:43 PM
in reply to: #2731919

User image

Elite

RunRene - 2010-03-17 3:48 PM
aarondavidson - 2010-03-16 7:41 Am

Everyone. Some cool videos of U23 or U18 kids warming up on them before a track race. Crazy to see.

Where is the link??

Not quite as good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shSrad0Hlfc so perfectly still.

I can not find the good one.

2010-03-17 10:32 PM

User image

New user

Here's a question/comment:  Last week felt very winded from my first trail race of 25K.  Took a few days to get back and I don't have a sedentary job.   This time of year my job starts to ramp up.   I am a general contractor and help out on each of the stages of construction (you name it...same days are harder than others), blah, blah.  
So, I am new to endurance training, this being the 2nd year, and I'm wondering if I am training right.   I know the bulk of training needs to be in the rpe 3-5 range but struggle to stay in it.  Like during the run, I've tried to do the talk test but seem to always only be able to say a few words at a time.  Am I training too hard, wacking out the next few days exhausted and not being able to build enough base because I'm always playing catch up? 

2010-03-18 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2732690

User image

NH
fire eagle - 2010-03-17 11:32 PM
I know the bulk of training needs to be in the rpe 3-5 range but struggle to stay in it.  Like during the run, I've tried to do the talk test but seem to always only be able to say a few words at a time.  Am I training too hard, wacking out the next few days exhausted and not being able to build enough base because I'm always playing catch up? 

I'll let Aaron be the ultimate authority, so take all this with a huge grain of salt. 

What I've found is that if I use the VDOT running formula and find my pace for the easy/long runs, it's WAY slower than I usually run, and feels like I'm crawling.  I still am running too fast per the formulas, and it's hard to focus and keep the pace down.  My natural tendency is to go faster, because faster is better right?

But every training workout has a purpose, and in general I think we tend to go too hard during our easy periods, and not hard enough during the threshold work, so all the workouts blend into the same intensity. 

The key is that your training is only as good as your recovery, and with a physical job you have a more difficult recovery path.  One thing I heard a few weeks back from someone who has been there - we all hear about the amazing workouts the pros do, but we never hear about their amazing recoveries.  10 hours of sleep, naps during the day, etc.

2010-03-18 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Darren, I noticed you're also doing P90x. I've never done it  but I understand there is a fairly restrictive diet component. Are you getting enough calories? Sometimes if I don't get enough I start to get light headed and feel weak. Also, it seems like you're focusing on your running and I don't even begin to try to run every day (although some times it does happen). Mostly I'm alternating to give my legs time to rest and recover. So on days when your legs are tired, go for a swim or a nice easy spin on the bike. My $.02 not being a coach or expert, or even really knowing what I'm talking about.
2010-03-18 10:26 AM

User image

NH
Sorry Darren, I didn't look at your logs to see you're doing P90x.

I've done P90x+, which is essentially a very similar program, and it is insanely intense.  I wouldn't even try to do any challenging tri work the day after doing a P90x workout.

I agree with Bob about rest days and I'll refer back to the recovery comment - you're only going to progress as well as your recovery allows.  And if you are also restricting calories, that could certainly affect recovery too.
2010-03-19 9:02 AM

User image

New user
I'm only doing the upper body workouts of p90x, not any of the other workouts.  And I'm not following the food plan, I eat pretty much want I want, except junk.   That recovery time must be a mental block when I'm actually training.  I'm slow anyway and seems I'm being paced by snails. 

I also read somewhere you need plenty of iron.  Something to do with the blood?
2010-03-19 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2732538

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
aarondavidson - 2010-03-17 9:38 PM

billsorg - 2010-03-17 9:13 AM Thanks all for the advice and inspires.  I'm excited for the race. 

Too much?  Not enough?

That seems like overkill. Food/eating look good. I would skip on the enduralytes. Maybe take them just in case, but are you normally taking 'salt pills' before your long runs? Does the course offer Gatorade or the like? Why take the heed? Two gels max.

If you think you need all that go for it, but that seems like a ton of calories during and a ton of "salt" prior.

First of all, thanks again everyone for the inspires and words of encouragement!  The weather is going to be absolutely perfect for the half mary.  I'm very psyched for the race. 

On a separate note, after reading my "nutrition plan" and seeing some of the feedback, I agree that it was a bit of "overkill".  I mean, in my longest training runs of 10+ miles, I was just eating a powerbar before leaving the house and then running with 16 oz. of Gatorade in my fuel belt and finishing with no problem.  They will have water and gatorate at every aid station, so I can definitely lighten the load a bit.  Thanks for all the input.
2010-03-19 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the wonderful inspires and forum activity.  I look foward to reading them.  They have really helped so far.  I definitely receive more from this group than I contribute.  Thanks.

Anyways,  I found this graphical depiction of the importance of recovery.  http://www.lionelreynaud.com/Training/TrainingBasics/tabid/281/Default.aspx  It took me seeing this ype of graph in Friel's "Triathlon Training Bible" to really understand the importance of recovery.  I used to believe in the "no pain, no gain", but now I definitely like working out easier and getting faster.

In the past I have tried to rest/recover after 'A' workouts (high intensity or high duration).  This plan I am following now, actually has some easy or rest/recovery days before the 'A' workouts.  The thinking is to be rested up for the important workouts so that you get the most out of them.

<edit> I see I was beat to thanking everyone for the inspires.  I am so busy at work right now, that it took me about 4 hours to write this. 

Edited by ray6foot7 2010-03-19 12:21 PM

2010-03-19 11:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
hi all! hope you have a great first weekend of spring!! like any other spring start in NM it will be 40* with snow! haha!

and a BIG good luck to Bill and the 1/2!

EDIT - so I wake up to 2.5" of snow and 32*....what kind of welcome to spring is that!!!

and now at 11:20am, it's 40* and the snow has melted already! hahaha - gotta love NM weather!

Edited by barelfly 2010-03-20 12:20 PM
2010-03-20 7:33 AM

User image

Elite

fire eagle - 2010-03-17 11:32 PM

Here's a question/comment:  Last week felt very winded from my first trail race of 25K.  Took a few days to get back and I don't have a sedentary job.   This time of year my job starts to ramp up.   I am a general contractor and help out on each of the stages of construction (you name it...same days are harder than others), blah, blah.  
So, I am new to endurance training, this being the 2nd year, and I'm wondering if I am training right.   I know the bulk of training needs to be in the rpe 3-5 range but struggle to stay in it.  Like during the run, I've tried to do the talk test but seem to always only be able to say a few words at a time.  Am I training too hard, wacking out the next few days exhausted and not being able to build enough base because I'm always playing catch up? 

25k Trail Race is nothing to laugh at. You body may have taken more of a toll than you initially thought. It is harder to recover when you have an active job. Perceived exertion levels are hard to judge, because what may feel like 4 one week could feel like 2 the next because you are sick/tired/bored. That is part of the reason why power based training can help so many people out.

So my question is, are you sore? tired? feel exhausted? Is this in general or specific to your legs? How do you feel the rest of the day?

2010-03-20 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2735905

User image

Elite

ray6foot7 - 2010-03-19 1:17 PM Just wanted to thank everyone for all the wonderful inspires and forum activity.  I look foward to reading them.  They have really helped so far.  I definitely receive more from this group than I contribute.  Thanks.

Anyways,  I found this graphical depiction of the importance of recovery.  http://www.lionelreynaud.com/Training/TrainingBasics/tabid/281/Default.aspx  It took me seeing this ype of graph in Friel's "Triathlon Training Bible" to really understand the importance of recovery.  I used to believe in the "no pain, no gain", but now I definitely like working out easier and getting faster.

In the past I have tried to rest/recover after 'A' workouts (high intensity or high duration).  This plan I am following now, actually has some easy or rest/recovery days before the 'A' workouts.  The thinking is to be rested up for the important workouts so that you get the most out of them.

I see I was beat to thanking everyone for the inspires.  I am so busy at work right now, that it took me about 4 hours to write this. 

Really good graphs on that site. For big races on a Sunday, I will generally take Friday off and then do for short SBR on Saturday. At the start of the group I talked about how its better to get the most out of each workout instead of adding runs on to the end of each ride to make a brick.

We have all been there with the no pain / no gain. It is easier to look fast than actually be fast.

Edited by aarondavidson 2010-03-20 7:57 AM
2010-03-20 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2736919

User image

Expert
WA
barelfly - 2010-03-19 9:32 AM hi

EDIT - so I wake up to 2.5" of snow and 32*....what kind of welcome to spring is that!!!

and now at 11:20am, it's 40* and the snow has melted already! hahaha - gotta love NM weather!

LOL!!! Ohhhh NOooooo!!!  Sorry to hear that!  Hope it all melts away soon for ya!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76