BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's 2010 Manatees--Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2010-03-27 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2752201

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's 2010 Manatees--Closed
ladylucky - 2010-03-27 11:00 AM

you are so ready Lynn!

the Manatees will be cheering you on!!

I'm thinking of you too today Lynn. The best of luck from me too.

Same here!  I volunteered at the local sprint tri this am to get a glimpse of transition, etc., and I was thinking of YOU!

2010-03-27 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2752375

User image

Master
Vista, CA

A HUGE THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU! I REALLY, REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT FROM AFAR! AND, YANTI -- YOU'RE REALLY AFAR!

HUGE MANATEE FLIPPER HUGS AND I'LL POST A RACE REPORT BUT PROBABLY TOMORROW!

MWAHHH

2010-03-28 1:24 AM
in reply to: #2559122

User image

Regular
New Zealand

Okay I'm back!! have a lot of catching up to do i see.
Dunno how I'm gonna do this but I'll work something out...

Lynn: hope it went well!

Moved house, children & cat.. still trying to juggle two and about to be 3 jobs..
But I took the baby for a walk up to my new favourite local cafe this morning to get some coffee, and saw some guys stopping by on a road ride on nice looking bikes.. and I was jealous and wanted to be riding or running too... so I can't stop now..

hope everyone's training is going well

Melyssa

2010-03-28 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2752977

User image

Melon Presser
lmscozz - 2010-03-28 11:42 AM

A HUGE THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU! I REALLY, REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT FROM AFAR! AND, YANTI -- YOU'RE REALLY AFAR!

Oh no! Very close indeed! Close in heart and spirit! Was right out there on the course with you! Thanks for the Labrador! (I was picking another one up to take home as you were out there ... I figured it was a present. Hee hee).

Super super big Manatee pride on your behalf.

It's a gorgeous and fun course but not easy by any means. You rocked the house.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!
2010-03-28 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania

Congratulations Lynn!  You should be very proud of yourself!  Can you loan me some of your speed?

2010-03-28 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2753723

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
reid15 - 2010-03-28 4:48 PM

Congratulations Lynn!  You should be very proud of yourself!  Can you loan me some of your speed?

x2!!!!

2010-03-28 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2753091

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
missyNZ - 2010-03-28 2:24 AM

Okay I'm back!! have a lot of catching up to do i see.
Dunno how I'm gonna do this but I'll work something out...

Lynn: hope it went well!

Moved house, children & cat.. still trying to juggle two and about to be 3 jobs..
But I took the baby for a walk up to my new favourite local cafe this morning to get some coffee, and saw some guys stopping by on a road ride on nice looking bikes.. and I was jealous and wanted to be riding or running too... so I can't stop now..

hope everyone's training is going well

Melyssa

so good to *see* you Melyssa...sounds like you have a lot on your plate - we're here for you

2010-03-29 3:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Yaaaaay Lynn!

Melyssa, you have so much on your plate.  Just do the best you can!

So I think I mentioned my sister and I want to do a half together in Sept. Our first two choices have fallen through. Next up is a race in Montgomery County, Md. on Sept. 12:

http://www.parkshalfmarathon.com/default.aspx

It's a good date for us, easy to travel too, and sounds like a nice course. The problem?
Quote:
ALL RUNNERS MUST BE ABLE TO FINISH IN 2 HOURS AND 45 MINUTES OR LESS. Please do not register if you cannot complete a half marathon in two hours and forty-five minutes or less as road closures will reopen and aid stations will close based on this time constraint.
That's a 12:33 pace. I am not that fast right now. Can I bank on getting that fast by September 12th -- almost 6 months? I would hate to DNF after putting the time in. On the other hand, I feel like that is a lot of time to work on my running, even in the heat, and my training runs have improved down to 13-14 minute miles already. It's not crazy to think I could get a minute and a half faster in six months, is it?  Should I just try to find another race?

Edited by dinabean 2010-03-29 3:36 PM
2010-03-29 4:43 PM
in reply to: #2756139

User image

Master
Vista, CA

dinabean - 2010-03-29 1:36 PM Yaaaaay Lynn!

So I think I mentioned my sister and I want to do a half together in Sept. Our first two choices have fallen through. Next up is a race in Montgomery County, Md. on Sept. 12:

It's a good date for us, easy to travel too, and sounds like a nice course. The problem?

Quote:
ALL RUNNERS MUST BE ABLE TO FINISH IN 2 HOURS AND 45 MINUTES OR LESS. Please do not register if you cannot complete a half marathon in two hours and forty-five minutes or less as road closures will reopen and aid stations will close based on this time constraint.

That's a 12:33 pace. I am not that fast right now. Can I bank on getting that fast by September 12th -- almost 6 months? I would hate to DNF after putting the time in. On the other hand, I feel like that is a lot of time to work on my running, even in the heat, and my training runs have improved down to 13-14 minute miles already. It's not crazy to think I could get a minute and a half faster in six months, is it?  Should I just try to find another race?

I'm sure there others more qualified than I am to speak to the time factor in 6 months. I do know that if you put in effort and train smart (not increasing mileage or speed too quickly) you can see your time get faster. I'm not sure how much faster in what time period though.

What about the women's 1/2 marathon in St PEtersburg, FL in November? That's much closer to home for you. Not sure where your sister lives. If I need to visit my family again in St. Petersburg I  may run it this year as well.

I"m leaving for FL tomorrow with my son for a week to visit said family, btw. I'll have my computer though so will check in all you Manatees!

2010-03-29 5:28 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Congratulations Lynn on a great race! I'm super, super impressed by your speed! Holy cow!  I can only WISH!

I would not be able to finish that half marathon in 2:45 unless I wanted to PR and possibly puke.....

I didn't make my 10K on Sunday because my husbands battery in his van was dead and there was no other way I could get to the park where the run started.   Made me feel miserable all day.  Oh well, such is life. 

2010-03-29 7:10 PM
in reply to: #2756402

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
lmscozz - 2010-03-29 5:43 PM

dinabean - 2010-03-29 1:36 PM Yaaaaay Lynn!

Quote:

I'm sure there others more qualified than I am to speak to the time factor in 6 months. I do know that if you put in effort and train smart (not increasing mileage or speed too quickly) you can see your time get faster. I'm not sure how much faster in what time period though.

What about the women's 1/2 marathon in St PEtersburg, FL in November? That's much closer to home for you. Not sure where your sister lives. If I need to visit my family again in St. Petersburg I  may run it this year as well.

I"m leaving for FL tomorrow with my son for a week to visit said family, btw. I'll have my computer though so will check in all you Manatees!

I agree with Lynn ('cause she is smarter and faster than me).  You definately can increase your speed in 6 months but if it was me, knowing I had to meet that time cutoff would make me want to push too hard in training and run the risk of injury and a DNS instead of DNF.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Art

2010-03-29 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Thanks Manatees -- that's what my husband said, too.  I don't want to stress myself out too much.  Ugh.  That race is otherwise perfect.  I did my first mile in 12:59 today (woo hoo!) but I don't want to get hurt, either.  Ugh.

Lynn, I would love to make that our race, but we were hoping to do something in August or September because she's thinking of trying to get pregnant again, and we fear she might be too great with child to travel in November if it all works out as planned.   Plus, she lives in Santa Fe.  So we are trying to find a race that isn't too expensive for us both to travel to -- ideally, within easy driving distance of an airport served by SWA, since we both have free tix we can use.  And she's worried about altitude for me, and so doesn't want to do the race in ABQ in August.  So if anyone has suggestions for a race that fits that criteria, I am all ears.

Is 3 hours -- 13:45 -- more realistic for me?  I mean, I did a 5K at that pace a few weeks ago, when pushed in a race environment.   If so, maybe we could do this race, so long as I do some hill work:

http://www.afchalf.com/

Edited by dinabean 2010-03-29 7:45 PM
2010-03-29 7:42 PM
in reply to: #2756487

User image

New user
Hendersonville, NC

I also want to say congratulations Lynn! You are WOW! :-)

Dineen, I think you can do it under 2:45 in 6 month. I also want to do a half in September, so maybe we can all meet up in Florida and run. :-)

I walked and ran a 10 K yesterday in 74 min and that felt easy. And if you double that time you get 150 min for 20 K and then add 1 K to it and run that in 15 min and you are home.
And 6 months is a long time for us to train too. :-)

1 K is not even a mile (1 mile = 1.6 K).

Edited by ladylucky 2010-03-29 7:44 PM
2010-03-30 7:17 AM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
Hey Dineen, here's one way to look at it... can you spare the $45, such that if something caused you to miss the race, you could safely say "oh well, it's only $45" ? If so, I say sign up anyway, and train but don't panic and don't push it. 

Great job on your HIM, Lynn! Sounds like everything went great (with the exception of the woozy bit at the end, but you beat that too )

Lynne, sorry to hear you had to miss your race. That's some , really.

Ok, I need you all to tell me if, this weekend, I was being a wuss or playing it safe. I worked out Wed, Th, and Fri, with Th marking my longest swim without stopping and Fri my longest swim workout in terms of total distance. Saturday my arms and legs were like lead weights and I took the day off. Forces conspired such that I got pretty much no sleep and my limbs felt even more tired Sunday, so I didn't work out then either. Yesterday, they STILL felt tired, so I skipped yesterday too. 

I feel like a wuss, looking at the number of not-pink boxes on my training calendar (i AM biking today after work). But I'm also paranoid because every time I've ever been injured, it's been because I pushed it too hard/far/long/fast working out. Be honest -- did I do the right thing, or did I need to HTFU?
2010-03-30 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2757171

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Silver Bullet - 2010-03-30 8:17 AM Hey Dineen, here's one way to look at it... can you spare the $45, such that if something caused you to miss the race, you could safely say "oh well, it's only $45" ? If so, I say sign up anyway, and train but don't panic and don't push it. 

I wish I could do it that way!  The problem is, my sister lives in NM, I live in Florida, and we are trying to meet up to do this together.  So it's not just the race entry -- it's plane tickets, hotel, child care burdens on our spouses (we both have two kids), etc.  I fear if we wait 3 mos to see how my training goes, airfare will go way up, etc. 

And Rebecca, you're not a wuss.  You're listening to your body.  I think it was the right thing to take Sat/Sun off.  By Monday, I probably would have at least tried to get it in, but that's me.  Definitely do something today, and you will feel better seeing that pink box!   The fact that you crave that pink box is a good thing -- you've made a change in your mindset, for sure!  I hate seeing non-pink on my schedule now, too.
2010-03-30 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2756668

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
dinabean - 2010-03-29 8:38 PM Thanks Manatees -- that's what my husband said, too.  I don't want to stress myself out too much.  Ugh.  That race is otherwise perfect.  I did my first mile in 12:59 today (woo hoo!) but I don't want to get hurt, either.  Ugh.

Lynn, I would love to make that our race, but we were hoping to do something in August or September because she's thinking of trying to get pregnant again, and we fear she might be too great with child to travel in November if it all works out as planned.   Plus, she lives in Santa Fe.  So we are trying to find a race that isn't too expensive for us both to travel to -- ideally, within easy driving distance of an airport served by SWA, since we both have free tix we can use.  And she's worried about altitude for me, and so doesn't want to do the race in ABQ in August.  So if anyone has suggestions for a race that fits that criteria, I am all ears.

Is 3 hours -- 13:45 -- more realistic for me?  I mean, I did a 5K at that pace a few weeks ago, when pushed in a race environment.   If so, maybe we could do this race, so long as I do some hill work:

http://www.afchalf.com/

sounds like a good decision Dineen, sorry i'm weighing in a little late - but that would have been my recommendation - for both reasons you mentioned - to avoid injury and to avoid stress

is 3 hours the cut off for the race you are looking at? 

you're making great progress and you'll definitely improve in 6 months if you focus on it - however i wouldn't necessarily use a 5k pace to try and determine a 1/2 mary -

having said that i think 13:45 is a totally realistic goal for six months and worth shooting for  - you may even end up surprising  yourself - in looking at the course elevation chart it looks like a good portion is downhill and then fairly flat - 1/2 mary times can vary a lot depending on the course and how hilly it is -

i would keep in mind also, that you don't have to run the whole thing - run walk intervals work just fine and i swear by the approach - i know for a fact that my speed and endurance really started improving dramatically as i incorporated this approach

- it seems somewhat counter intuitive, but what happens is tha because you're giving your body that walk break - your run intervals get faster and faster and your overall pace improves

also i have a good 1/2 mary training plan that a fellow BT'r  - let me know if you're interested and i'll post a link to it

2010-03-30 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2757171

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Silver Bullet - 2010-03-30 8:17 AM Hey Dineen, here's one way to look at it... can you spare the $45, such that if something caused you to miss the race, you could safely say "oh well, it's only $45" ? If so, I say sign up anyway, and train but don't panic and don't push it. 

Great job on your HIM, Lynn! Sounds like everything went great (with the exception of the woozy bit at the end, but you beat that too )

Lynne, sorry to hear you had to miss your race. That's some , really.

Ok, I need you all to tell me if, this weekend, I was being a wuss or playing it safe. I worked out Wed, Th, and Fri, with Th marking my longest swim without stopping and Fri my longest swim workout in terms of total distance. Saturday my arms and legs were like lead weights and I took the day off. Forces conspired such that I got pretty much no sleep and my limbs felt even more tired Sunday, so I didn't work out then either. Yesterday, they STILL felt tired, so I skipped yesterday too. 

I feel like a wuss, looking at the number of not-pink boxes on my training calendar (i AM biking today after work). But I'm also paranoid because every time I've ever been injured, it's been because I pushed it too hard/far/long/fast working out. Be honest -- did I do the right thing, or did I need to HTFU?

IMO you did the right thing - sounds like you saw the danger signs that could lead to injury and took the right action -

2010-03-30 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2758514

User image

New user
Hendersonville, NC
I'm interested in that 1/2 mary plan Beth.

Edited by ladylucky 2010-03-30 8:33 PM
2010-03-31 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Beth, would love to see the plan.

So, is a three hour cut off more realistic?  That's 13:45 mm. 
2010-03-31 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2759986

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
dinabean - 2010-03-31 11:21 AM Beth, would love to see the plan.

So, is a three hour cut off more realistic?  That's 13:45 mm. 

i think that's a realisitic goal - that was the cut off for my first one as well and i actually ended up coming in a bit under that so i was pleasantly surprised

it was kind of interesting - there was a gal who 'ran' the whole way and i did my run/walk intervals - we were generally about the same pace, i would pass her when i was doing a run interval and she would pass me while i was doing a walk interval - 

i ended up finishing a good 10 minutes ahead of her when it was all said and done

have i mentioned i'm  a big fan of incorporating walk intervals

2010-03-31 1:08 PM

User image

New user
Hendersonville, NC
Oh, oh do you guys now what I just did. :-)

I ran a 10 K in 66:02, that is only 38 sec shy of my PB. And this was not a race, just me running through town and around my neighborhood.

And I also had to wait for traffic at two different streets for a combined 50 sec.

Edited by ladylucky 2010-03-31 1:10 PM

2010-03-31 1:09 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
here's a link to the training Plan - one word of caution, or food for thought  - if this is your first 1/2 marathon and you are new to running - in the plan there is one day that calls for either or cross training actvitiy or a run - i would recommend opting for the cross training to avoid injury

you can easily train for a 1/2 by running 3 days a week - it worked like a charm for my first one

i learned this the hard way last may and ended up with a stress fracture - i jumped from 3 - 4 days a week and in increase in volume was too much - i'm not saying this is going to happen to everyone, but is something to be aware of and consider

let me know if you have any questions on the plan

Half Marathon Training Plan:Novice

2010-03-31 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2760527

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
ladylucky - 2010-03-31 2:08 PM Oh, oh do you guys now what I just did. :-)

I ran a 10 K in 66:02, that is only 38 sec shy of my PB. And this was not a race, just me running through town and around my neighborhood.

And I also had to wait for traffic at two different streets for a combined 50 sec.

that's awesome!  what a great feeling

congrats!!

2010-03-31 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2760527

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
ladylucky - 2010-03-31 2:08 PM Oh, oh do you guys now what I just did. :-)

WOW! Great job Mia!

My accomplishment: actually running today ^_^ But a 66 minute 10k is great!
2010-04-02 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hi everybody!

Lots of stuff going on this week and I didn't feel very talkative.  I had a nice 8 mile run this evening.  It was the first time I took the Nathan belt with me.  It worked great, I'm really glad I got it. 

Tomorrow is a swim, yard work and take the motorcycle to get inspected and an oil change.  Busy, busy, busy....

Have a good weekend!

Art
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's 2010 Manatees--Closed Rss Feed  

of 31