BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-04-23 5:44 AM
in reply to: #2811499

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
newbz - 2010-04-22 11:10 PM
DirkP - 2010-04-22 7:43 PM Does anyone have an opinion on racing shoes? I was on an easy run tonight and since I was going slowly I had some extra time to think about random stuff. Anyway, if I wore a racing shoe how much time would I actually be able to cut per mile? On my last race I avg. 6:46 miles for the 5k distance. I know the shoes are lighter but would they actually allow me to run that much faster? either way I am not going to run out to buy a pair because with my knee history I won't be doing without the additional cushioning in my Mizuno's.

BTW, my easy run tonight was a 5k at an avg. 8:31 miles. 2 years ago that kind of pace for the same distance would have been a tough one. Or at least harder than many of the runs I currently do. I was thinking about that in the extra few minutes I was running tonight. I was kinda gloating to myself while running.

if you dont mind answering here (if so just PM me), how much do you weight/how tall? part of lighting shoes i think should be body size. that said, flats over trainers is between 1 and 4 sec per mile depending on the shoe. not a huge diff at all, but if its worth it to you, weigh the options and possible issues with them.

No secrets for me.........I'm 5'8" and right now about 165#.  I am going to try to get down to 160# over the next month or so.  I used to powerlift and have been able to keep a fair amount of my muscle mass since I quit participating in that sport, so I would be considered a large frame....if that matters

2010-04-23 7:12 AM
in reply to: #2811168

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
newbz - 2010-04-22 7:41 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-22 5:39 PM I would think going from a 650 to 700 wheel will make it feel a lot different also.
assuming its geared correctly it wont feel all that much diff (i'm short enough that i have been back and forth between them). sprinting you notice it a bit the first ride or so, but outside of that nothing.

I guess that makes sense...the only thing that changes is the torque increases on the hub with the 700s...so if you use a lower gear, the perceived effort is the same.
2010-04-23 7:14 AM
in reply to: #2811327

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
robingray_260 - 2010-04-22 9:25 PM Just in case anybody else is thinking there weather sucks  - its snowing here. Supposed to get 5-7 inches by Sat. There was a 5k I was interested in running on Sat. Most likely will skip it if its 30 degrees and snowing. I know Im a ....

wimp.

hehe, just kidding.  But seriously....get out your snow shoes.
2010-04-23 7:18 AM
in reply to: #2811725

User image

Master
Baltimore
jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-23 8:14 AM
robingray_260 - 2010-04-22 9:25 PM Just in case anybody else is thinking there weather sucks  - its snowing here. Supposed to get 5-7 inches by Sat. There was a 5k I was interested in running on Sat. Most likely will skip it if its 30 degrees and snowing. I know Im a ....

wimp.

you should read my race report for a 5 mile run in December during a snowstorm, that should give you an indication of what I think you should do: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=190992

I am a wimp, I fully admit that.
2010-04-23 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2811730

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
jsiegs - 2010-04-23 7:18 AM

wimp.

you should read my race report for a 5 mile run in December during a snowstorm, that should give you an indication of what I think you should do: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=19099

HaHaHa.. Nice race report Smile  Mine may be very similar since it is still snowing and will continue to snow/rain/blow til sometime on Sunday.  It also may depend on tonights dinner party I am supposed to attend! 
2010-04-23 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2811730

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
jsiegs - 2010-04-23 7:18 AM

wimp.

you should read my race report for a 5 mile run in December during a snowstorm, that should give you an indication of what I think you should do: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=190992

AHAHAHA! I'm impressed you even wrote a "RR". Classic. Yeah, I live in Dallas and when anything that comes down that resembles snow flurries the entire city freaks out and comes to a complete standstill. WE are wimps........

But, yeah....sorry about the snow.

2010-04-23 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2811652

User image

Champion
DirkP - 2010-04-23 4:44 AM

DirkP - 2010-04-22 7:43 PM Does anyone have an opinion on racing shoes? I was on an easy run tonight and since I was going slowly I had some extra time to think about random stuff. Anyway, if I wore a racing shoe how much time would I actually be able to cut per mile? On my last race I avg. 6:46 miles for the 5k distance. I know the shoes are lighter but would they actually allow me to run that much faster? either way I am not going to run out to buy a pair because with my knee history I won't be doing without the additional cushioning in my Mizuno's.

BTW, my easy run tonight was a 5k at an avg. 8:31 miles. 2 years ago that kind of pace for the same distance would have been a tough one. Or at least harder than many of the runs I currently do. I was thinking about that in the extra few minutes I was running tonight. I was kinda gloating to myself while running.

if you dont mind answering here (if so just PM me), how much do you weight/how tall? part of lighting shoes i think should be body size. that said, flats over trainers is between 1 and 4 sec per mile depending on the shoe. not a huge diff at all, but if its worth it to you, weigh the options and possible issues with them.

No secrets for me.........I'm 5'8" and right now about 165#. I am going to try to get down to 160# over the next month or so. I used to powerlift and have been able to keep a fair amount of my muscle mass since I quit participating in that sport, so I would be considered a large frame....if that matters

maybe try a pair on and see waht they feel like?

This will be the first season that i am using a lighter race shoe (for me the injury risk was not worth it before).

Some poeple like the feel/ do very well in them, others hate them.
2010-04-23 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2811931

User image

Master
Baltimore
newbz - 2010-04-23 9:45 AM
DirkP - 2010-04-23 4:44 AM

No secrets for me.........I'm 5'8" and right now about 165#. I am going to try to get down to 160# over the next month or so. I used to powerlift and have been able to keep a fair amount of my muscle mass since I quit participating in that sport, so I would be considered a large frame....if that matters

maybe try a pair on and see waht they feel like? This will be the first season that i am using a lighter race shoe (for me the injury risk was not worth it before). Some poeple like the feel/ do very well in them, others hate them.

FYI - if you like Nikes and order from Nike.com, they will let you try for 30 days and return with free shipping if you don't like them.  Spend over a certain amount and the shipping when you buy them is free too.  I love the lunar series, and you can get them in racing flats or cushioned trainer models.  I tried 4 different models last time, and returned the ones I didn't like.  Just ordered 3 more (they don't make the kind I really like anymore) and am trying them out now.  I'll return them at no cost to me if I don't like any of them.

ETA: I'll support an LBS or LRS when I can, but they won't give me this guarantee, so I won't shop there for this.

Edited by jsiegs 2010-04-23 8:53 AM
2010-04-23 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2770346

Expert
Ann Arbor
This week is my transition week and it is my last week of school before I move back home.

Yesterday: Easy 5 mile run around Ann Arbor.  Long warmup just to make sure my left achilles was feeling fine.  With about 7 minutes left my right achilles starts to hurt. wtffff
Today:  Same run, same format.  After a while, my right achilles hurt worse.  I walked the cooldown.

This is really weird because now my other achilles is hurting.  I think the cause might have been a switch in shoes.  I have been running almost exclusively in my Zoots for the past few weeks and for these runs I ran in my Asics(250 miles on them).  My achilles hurt most upon landing which makes me think that it has to do with the amount of cushioning in the heel.  I'm pretty sure that my Zoots have a smaller heel that I have gotten used to.

I'll take the next 2-3 days off running and then pick up again in my Zoots.
2010-04-23 11:55 AM

User image

Chicago

I am starting to get a little worried about my half marathon next weekend. My last three runs have resulted in some very painful stomach cramps. The first run was a cramp in the top of my side, the second in the lower part of my side and today was a horrible cramp that made me stop right below my belly button. I dont know what can be causing it because I havent changed anything. The only difference is that I have had a bit diarrhea but have made sure that I have stayed properly hydrated. I just hope that I stop cramping before next saturday.

2010-04-23 2:17 PM
in reply to: #2812455

User image

Champion
running issues all aroudn!

on teh achillis, is it a sharp pain or an ache?

which zoot and which asics shoes?

cramps.
are you running harder than you have been? running without a good warm up? I know for me, if i jump right into 7 min pace i cramp right away. if i warm up for 10 min at like 8 or 8:30, i can then go crank out 15mi in the mid 6 min range and be fine, but i HAVE to warm up long enough.

2010-04-23 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2812778

Expert
Ann Arbor
newbz - 2010-04-23 3:17 PM running issues all aroudn! on teh achillis, is it a sharp pain or an ache? which zoot and which asics shoes? cramps. are you running harder than you have been? running without a good warm up? I know for me, if i jump right into 7 min pace i cramp right away. if i warm up for 10 min at like 8 or 8:30, i can then go crank out 15mi in the mid 6 min range and be fine, but i HAVE to warm up long enough.

It is more of an aching soreness.  It started yesterday when I though my calf was cramping up.  I'm not sure if it did but it felt like it.  I then realized that my achilles felt sore(it is sore just below the bottom of my calf).
The Zoots are the Ultra Tempo+ 2.0 and the Asics are the Gel 1140.  It might be an overuse or too much too soon injury but I just seems hard to believe because I don't really have a crazy run mileage.

Starting this upcoming week, I'll be back home and I'll have more free time to train.  For the past 3-4 months, I've been running 3xweek at about 15mpw.  I'd like to start running 4-5xweek.  I tapered for 2-3weeks prior to my race this past weekend, so my run volumes have been relatively low.  Should I worry about running 3hrs/week divided amongst 5 days of running?  I feel like running more frequently for short durations( approx. 20-40mins) and building up would be better than running only 3xweek(approx40-60mins) like I have been doing for the past few months.  My logs are accurate for comparisons.
2010-04-23 3:03 PM

User image

I just picked up a used 07 P2C.  Going to dial in the fit this afternoon.  Pics to come this weekend.

I spent about 10 minutes on the trainer with it last night just to get used to the bar end shifting.  I didn't think it would be that difficult...but I guess I'm used to the ease of STI shifting on my road bike.  Just on the trainer, I was accidentally pushing or pulling the rear shifter too much and skipping over gears. 

How long did it take you to get accustomed to bar end shifting.  I'm kinda spooked to take the bike on my ride tomorrow since I wouldn't feel comfortable shifting on the fly through some of the rolling hills.  Tri bikes are allowed in our group rides so long as you're not aero in the pace line...but even on the horns, I would feel uncomfortable shifting as we transition from downhill to uphill.  Someone who was 4 lengths behind me, could easily come up on me quick if I stuggle with my shifting.  And I could go into someone's back wheel if I'm paying too much attention to my shifting than what's up in front.  I really want to show off the new ride tomorrow...but I don't want to cause a crash.  Am I being overly paranoid? 

Edited by tri808 2010-04-23 3:04 PM
2010-04-23 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2812852

Expert
Ann Arbor
tri808 - 2010-04-23 4:03 PM

I just picked up a used 07 P2C.  Going to dial in the fit this afternoon.  Pics to come this weekend.

I spent about 10 minutes on the trainer with it last night just to get used to the bar end shifting.  I didn't think it would be that difficult...but I guess I'm used to the ease of STI shifting on my road bike.  Just on the trainer, I was accidentally pushing or pulling the rear shifter too much and skipping over gears. 

How long did it take you to get accustomed to bar end shifting.  I'm kinda spooked to take the bike on my ride tomorrow since I wouldn't feel comfortable shifting on the fly through some of the rolling hills.  Tri bikes are allowed in our group rides so long as you're not aero in the pace line...but even on the horns, I would feel uncomfortable shifting as we transition from downhill to uphill.  Someone who was 4 lengths behind me, could easily come up on me quick if I stuggle with my shifting.  And I could go into someone's back wheel if I'm paying too much attention to my shifting than what's up in front.  I really want to show off the new ride tomorrow...but I don't want to cause a crash.  Am I being overly paranoid? 

You will get the hang of it eventually.  I felt way better shifting and stuff on the road than on the trainer when I bought my tri bike.  I am also now used to the reach over shifting when I'm just chilling on the horns riding with some friends.  Don't worry.
2010-04-23 3:24 PM

User image

Champion
tri808 - 2010-04-23 2:03 PM

I just picked up a used 07 P2C. Going to dial in the fit this afternoon. Pics to come this weekend.

I spent about 10 minutes on the trainer with it last night just to get used to the bar end shifting. I didn't think it would be that difficult...but I guess I'm used to the ease of STI shifting on my road bike. Just on the trainer, I was accidentally pushing or pulling the rear shifter too much and skipping over gears.

How long did it take you to get accustomed to bar end shifting. I'm kinda spooked to take the bike on my ride tomorrow since I wouldn't feel comfortable shifting on the fly through some of the rolling hills. Tri bikes are allowed in our group rides so long as you're not aero in the pace line...but even on the horns, I would feel uncomfortable shifting as we transition from downhill to uphill. Someone who was 4 lengths behind me, could easily come up on me quick if I stuggle with my shifting. And I could go into someone's back wheel if I'm paying too much attention to my shifting than what's up in front. I really want to show off the new ride tomorrow...but I don't want to cause a crash. Am I being overly paranoid?

about 1 ride to get used to them.

carl, take it a bit easier (shorter runs) for a few days, but it sounds like you should be ok. i am heading out to ride for the weekend (will be back tomorrow afternoon), and will answer a bit more in depth, but it sounds like you inflamed it but nothing too bad (i've had that bugging me for about a month, finally going away now).

2010-04-23 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
tri808 - 2010-04-23 3:03 PM

I'm going the opposite way.....started off on a tri bike and now getting used to STI shifting on a road bike, ha. Congrats on the new bike by the way.

2010-04-23 4:38 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

Good luck to all of you racing this weekend.  I've had a minor (subjective) medical issue sideline me for the next few days (including yesterday).  I've got 6wks to go before my 1st sprint......so it's very disheartening.  I can't ride or swim for a few days.  I can run (according to the doc), and I'll do so as long as I'm not in too much pain.

With the recent thread on crossover benefits, at least I can feel good about getting more runs in.  I'll go to 2X/day for the next couple of days.....and try to build miles that way.  It can't hurt.  But, I NEED to be swimming (only 2X this week.....and I need to build endurance).

Nothing I could have foreseen or prevented.  Just something that "came up".  I'll leave it at that.....lol.

Again.....good luck.

Hey Newbz.....would I benefit from a few (3X, tomorrow?) shorter runs....(less painful), or one longer run (and just tough it out)?  There is no risk to permanent injury.....just an uncomfort factor.

Real heartbreaker is I pick up my new ride, tomorrow.....and can't ride it for several days.  Looks like it's me and the run for the next 4-5days, which might not be bad for building base.

2010-04-23 5:42 PM
in reply to: #2812913

User image

Thanks everyone...now that I think about it...I wasn't totally comfortable using STI shifters when I got my road bike...so I guess it's just a learning curve.  But then again, I can remember some pretty close calls when learning how to effectively shift during group rides.  I tihnk I'll just hang way back or hammer out in front during the "technical" parts of our ride...just to be safe.

On a side note...I saw in a magazine that Zipp makes spring loaded bar end shifters that act more like STI shifters because they re-center after each click.  It's like $350...so out of my price range...but are there any other brands that make something like this more affordable.  Does it work effectively...and will it be the new standard? 

http://www.zipp.com/bars/vukar2c
2010-04-23 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2813107

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
tri808 - 2010-04-23 6:42 PM Thanks everyone...now that I think about it...I wasn't totally comfortable using STI shifters when I got my road bike...so I guess it's just a learning curve.  But then again, I can remember some pretty close calls when learning how to effectively shift during group rides.  I tihnk I'll just hang way back or hammer out in front during the "technical" parts of our ride...just to be safe.

On a side note...I saw in a magazine that Zipp makes spring loaded bar end shifters that act more like STI shifters because they re-center after each click.  It's like $350...so out of my price range...but are there any other brands that make something like this more affordable.  Does it work effectively...and will it be the new standard? 

http://www.zipp.com/bars/vukar2c

I like the idea of those return to center shifters also.  It does take a bit of getting used to, I would recommend doing what you said and staying back or out front.  If you get out front in aero, you should be faster anyway.
2010-04-24 7:07 AM

Hello all,
didnt get to the computer for a couple days - had to catch up!

I tried the one foot pedaling the other day and found that it was very jerky, not smooth going round, at first - I was able to adjust by pulling up on the pedal.  This made me wonder if I'm pedaling incorrectly.  I think I generally just push forward with each foot, relying on the opposite foot to bring the pedal back up.  Am I doing this wrong?   Never really thought about pedaling technique before.

Thanks!
2010-04-24 7:35 PM

User image

Took the new tri bike out this morning and fell in love.

As far as my concern for shifting...it took me a few miles to get the hang of it, but no big deal.  I was a littly "squirrly" at times on the bars because the position is a little different from the aero bars on my road bike.  Just a matter of getting used to it.

here's the pics

(2007 Cervelo P2C.jpg)

(2007 Cervelo P2C drivetrain.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
2007 Cervelo P2C.jpg (91KB - 2 downloads)
2007 Cervelo P2C drivetrain.jpg (83KB - 7 downloads)

2010-04-24 8:09 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor
NICE BIKE!!!  Even though I ride a Felt, I still drool over  Cervelos.
2010-04-25 3:17 AM
in reply to: #2814416

User image

carlwithac - 2010-04-24 4:09 PM NICE BIKE!!!  Even though I ride a Felt, I still drool over  Cervelos.

I still drool over felts...=)
2010-04-25 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2814388

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
tri808 - 2010-04-24 8:35 PM Took the new tri bike out this morning and fell in love.

As far as my concern for shifting...it took me a few miles to get the hang of it, but no big deal.  I was a littly "squirrly" at times on the bars because the position is a little different from the aero bars on my road bike.  Just a matter of getting used to it.

here's the pics

Did you do the group ride?  The bike looks awesome.  I love those colors.  I'm psyched for you!
2010-04-25 8:54 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
So if you were me, which would you go with and why?  Both are new, never ridden.

Bontrager Aeolus 9.0 Carbon Clincher for $1700 From LBS

OR

Zipp 1080 rear tubular and 404 front tubular for $1800 WITH tires from 3rd party
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105