BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-04-25 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2815650

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!

GoGoGo - 2010-04-25 7:50 PM
Meulen - 2010-04-25 9:25 PM Do any of you take anysupplements for joint pain, something besides ib profin?  My knees tend to get really sore when I run and I was thinking of trying something.

Have looked at your shoes?  when my joints hurt, I need to replace.  I tend to get about 300mi.  Some say they get 500, I certainly do not. Also, are your running shoes "right for you"?  More cushion, etc.

Just wondering if there is a root cause... 

Yeah, I should have gave that some background.  Sorry everyone.  When I was younger I had Osgood-Schlatter Syndrom.  I don't think my knees were ever the same after.  The doctors told me back then that I would most likely develop arthritis in my knees as I grew older.  I believe I already have.  It's one of those things I just work through.  Actually, I'm perfectly fine while I'm running or during any other excercise.  As long as I stay loose.  The second I rest it starts to tighten up and I get pain.  I also just had an over use injury in my left knee that had me start over on building base miles for my running.  But that's besides the point.  About 4 years ago tried to run to lose weight.  I was fat and inactive at the time.  It hurt too much so I bought a bicycle and began changing eating habits.  I lost enough weight to be able to try and run again so I headed to a running shoe store for an analysis and shoes.  I replace my shoes roughly every 300-400 miles.  The shoes I have now are less than 100 miles old.  But losing weight and getting shoes was the only way I was able to start running again. I started running again 2 years ago when I had gone from 215lbs to about 190.  I now weigh in at 168!  So my shoes are correct for me and are not worn yet.  I just deal with the knees.  The worst part of the day is getting out of bed.  My wife makes fun of me because I literally, will limp around the house for 5-10 minutes before I loosen up and can walk normal.  LOL  Especially, the morning after a long run.  I was wondering if any of you guys had positive experience with glucosamine relieving joint pain.

2010-04-25 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2815715

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

QOTD:  Pre-Race workouts are far different for a simple SPRINT TRI.  Althoug mental preparation and nutrition are still key success factors, obvioulsy due to the short distances a "Taper" is not really required.  That said, however; How would you prepare for a SPRINT TRI in the final week leading up to your race??
?

I still taper.  In the week before I usually try to eat more natural and organic things and less refined or processed foods.  Also, sorry all you beer lovers(I'm secretly one of them too) I make sure to stay away from any alcohol.  I also try to get my workouts done early in the week.  Workouts are more strength oriented and shorter.  Three days before the race I rest.  I'll only do stretching and possibly a light bike ride to stay loose.  We're talking like around the block with the family type bike ride.  Get prepared mentally and get all the things you need to get set up to travel and be prepared for the race in the last few days.
2010-04-25 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2815671

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
nice work on your first Trina!

GoGoGo - 2010-04-25 5:58 PM So race season is starting...

What is your NEXT race?  Whether "A" race, "B", training race, etc.

This could be a tri, bike TT, run eg 5k or marathon...whatever

Are you doing anything special to prepare for it?  Or is it just part of the grand plan to test fitness, on way to a more important race?

super sprint 3 weeks away.  this is definitely a training race as it will be my first.  not really preping for it, its just experience for the A race a few more months down the road.
2010-04-25 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
QOTD:  Pre-Race workouts are far different for a simple SPRINT TRI.  Althoug mental preparation and nutrition are still key success factors, obvioulsy due to the short distances a "Taper" is not really required.  That said, however; How would you prepare for a SPRINT TRI in the final week leading up to your race??

?

sure, even if i didnt call it a taper, id still take it easy the final week.  at the very least, i would reduce volume.
2010-04-25 10:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

?

I've got a mini-sprint next Sunday so I'll be taking it a bit easier Th-Sa this week.  Only 150 yds / 5 miles / 1.2 miles, but at least it'll get my feet wet in a competition.
2010-04-25 10:11 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
GoGoGo - 2010-04-25 5:50 PM
Meulen - 2010-04-25 9:25 PM Do any of you take anysupplements for joint pain, something besides ib profin?  My knees tend to get really sore when I run and I was thinking of trying something.

Have looked at your shoes?  when my joints hurt, I need to replace.  I tend to get about 300mi.  Some say they get 500, I certainly do not. Also, are your running shoes "right for you"?  More cushion, etc.

300 miles for me.

2010-04-25 10:13 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
GoGoGo - 2010-04-25 5:58 PM So race season is starting...

Are you doing anything special to prepare for it?  Or is it just part of the grand plan to test fitness, on way to a more important race?

This Saturday kicks off the start to the season for the Leave No Trace Endurance MTB series.  This will be my first 24 hour event ever.  This ought to be interesting....
2010-04-25 10:22 PM
in reply to: #2815743

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
kickitinok - 2010-04-25 6:22 PM Just thought I'd poke my head in for a sec and report back from Lonestar. 

The sprint and oly swims were cancelled due to bad weather. Water was white capping and the decision was made to cancel for safety. I wish they would have waited an hour for the storm to blow-over, as an hour later it was beautiful. This knocked me off my emotional center as I was really looking forward to the swim - it's my favorite sport out of the three.

It was then announced that we would move immediately to the bike. There would be a 3 second delayed start for every cyclist. My thoughts immediately flashed to the problems I was having with my new pedal system (I crashed again during a ride Thursday) and I started to feel panic rise up in my stomach as this meant there were going to be a LOT of people leaving the gate at the same time and it would be congested. I did some deep breathing while gearing-up for the bike. When it was my turn I calmly walked myself outside the start gate, got on my bike, clipped in and off I went. Beautiful ride along the seawall, with 25+ mph winds. 

I pushed hard during the bike, although my time doesn't exactly show it. This really spent my legs. I had to start walking within 10 minutes of the run - my HR was zone 5. After a few minutes walking I started running. Had to walk two more times, but eventually finished with a time that I can live with given I am totally new to tri as well as self trained.

I'll post a RR when I return home. Thank you everyone for your support!  

Way to take on adversity in stride!  Definately not ideal conditions for any triathlon, let alone your first.  Congratulations!
2010-04-25 10:27 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
BigH2OChief - 2010-04-25 6:12 PM

Depends....  If your feeling well, eating well, and getting solid sleep, then I really wouldn't taper.  I would still keep my volume consistent, but drop the intensity.  Basically, a lot of zone 1 and 2 HR type of work.  I always take the day off before the race.

But, if I'm feeling kind of crappy, then tapering would be in order.  Less volume and less intense.
2010-04-25 10:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
GoGoGo - 2010-04-25 7:58 PM So race season is starting...

Wildflower is Sunday (olympic distance) 5/2. It's not my A race but I'm not out for a sunday stroll. I'm really pumped for race day! I'm hoping to do pretty well with the swim and bike, although my expecations for the run are low. As long as I'm not having knee trouble I'll probably be happy with the run. I'm not doing much special to prepare...just training through it really. I'm hoping it will give me more confidence in my transitions, and teach me some patience when really fast people blow by me.

My brick today was pretty good. Hammered 25 miles on the bike, then managed 30 minutes of running. It was slow...and hot. Anyways, I think the time on the trainer during the winter has paid off - I feel like I have a passing gear on the bike.

Trina - congrats on the race! Too bad about the swim. I'd be pretty disappointed. It's my favorite leg too!
2010-04-26 2:55 AM
in reply to: #2815938

User image

Salem
brick94513 - 2010-04-25 11:13 PM

This Saturday kicks off the start to the season for the Leave No Trace Endurance MTB series.  This will be my first 24 hour event ever.  This ought to be interesting....

wow, man.  i can't even fathom this.

ill definitely be keeping you in my thoughts and will be eagerly awaiting to hear you made it out alive.  =]

2010-04-26 4:38 AM
in reply to: #2815868

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
Trina,
Congrats on your tri! We were all wondering about you this weekend and hoping you were doing well and enjoying yourself. Yep.... getting the legs to cooperated after the bike is a challenge. Way to go!!! Laughing
2010-04-26 7:14 AM
in reply to: #2815868

User image

Regular
kickitinok - 2010-04-25 9:24 PM Totally enjoyed myself!!! I'm officially hooked!!

Congrats on your first Tri Trina. 

You are correct about the Wind This time of the year it is Brutal here. 25+ is a norm with all the Fall fronts the are still rolling through.  lake and bay conditions are hard in a boat much less to swim in.  And dont even get me started about running or riding into a 25 MPH head wind. 

Again Congrats on your first, glad you had a good time...
2010-04-26 7:23 AM
in reply to: #2815886

User image

Regular
Meulen - 2010-04-25 9:35 PM

GoGoGo - 2010-04-25 7:50 PM

Yeah, I should have gave that some background.  Sorry everyone.  When I was younger I had Osgood-Schlatter Syndrom.  I don't think my knees were ever the same after.  The doctors told me back then that I would most likely develop arthritis in my knees as I grew older.  I believe I already have.  It's one of those things I just work through.  Actually, I'm perfectly fine while I'm running or during any other excercise.  As long as I stay loose.  The second I rest it starts to tighten up and I get pain.  I also just had an over use injury in my left knee that had me start over on building base miles for my running.  But that's besides the point.  About 4 years ago tried to run to lose weight.  I was fat and inactive at the time.  It hurt too much so I bought a bicycle and began changing eating habits.  I lost enough weight to be able to try and run again so I headed to a running shoe store for an analysis and shoes.  I replace my shoes roughly every 300-400 miles.  The shoes I have now are less than 100 miles old.  But losing weight and getting shoes was the only way I was able to start running again. I started running again 2 years ago when I had gone from 215lbs to about 190.  I now weigh in at 168!  So my shoes are correct for me and are not worn yet.  I just deal with the knees.  The worst part of the day is getting out of bed.  My wife makes fun of me because I literally, will limp around the house for 5-10 minutes before I loosen up and can walk normal.  LOL  Especially, the morning after a long run.  I was wondering if any of you guys had positive experience with glucosamine relieving joint pain.

Get some and try it.. It is not all that expensive of a supliment.  You'll never know how it works for you unless you give it a test run.   Lots of people say Creatine dont help if your doing endurance sports. It may not help directly with endurance but I see overall improvements using it so It works for me even if others don't agree.  If you try it let us know how it works for you. 
2010-04-26 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I got the first MTB race in the WORS (Wisconsin Off-Road Series) this weekend.  I'll be doing almost half of the series this year.  I did this race last year.  It was my first MTB race ever and I got killed!!! LOL  Can't wait to compare this year vs last years race.  I just got to get over this upper respiratory infection before Sunday!!

Trina, congrats on the first tri.  Way to keep your head in those conditions!
2010-04-26 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2816260

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-04-26 5:46 AM I got the first MTB race in the WORS (Wisconsin Off-Road Series) this weekend.  I'll be doing almost half of the series this year.  I did this race last year.  It was my first MTB race ever and I got killed!!! LOL  Can't wait to compare this year vs last years race.  I just got to get over this upper respiratory infection before Sunday!!

Really, thats the best indicator.  Out here, there are just to many sandbaggers that go unchecked.  Also, being the start of the season, a lot of the really strong riders will ride the lower classes because they don't want to do the longer distances.

I call BS!  I think once you matriculate to a higher category there should be no turning back.  But whatever, to each their own.  I would rather push myself and finish mid pack in a tougher category than drop classes just to get a shot at podium finish.

2010-04-26 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

gooooood morning everyone.  swim drills and a run scheduled for me today.  what's everyone else got goin on?  im thinking about making the BT program i'm semi-following into a more detailed excel doc, anybody already do this and have some sort of template?  i tried making a .csv file a couple weeks ago to import into the training log instead of hand jamming everything, but i guess im not smart enough to figure that out.

2010-04-26 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

I take a product that contains glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, boswellia, devil's claw, turmeric, quercetin, and collagen.  The ingredients are suppose to provide an anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic, and antioxidant benefit.

To be honest, I'm really can't claim huge benefit.  But, at the same time, maybe I'm not as beat up and sore as I would be without it!
2010-04-26 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Did some 800m intervals this morning before work.  Interval pace was little slower than intended, but the roads around here are hilly which kind of messes with the pace.  Nevertheless, good morning run.

Last couple runs I've been really happy with my HR recovery too.  I seem to be improving aerobically (faster pace at lower HR).  I just wish I could make all of the soreness go away and I would be happy, little guy!
2010-04-26 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2816778

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-04-26 10:27 AM
Meulen - 2010-04-26 5:46 AM I got the first MTB race in the WORS (Wisconsin Off-Road Series) this weekend.  I'll be doing almost half of the series this year.  I did this race last year.  It was my first MTB race ever and I got killed!!! LOL  Can't wait to compare this year vs last years race.  I just got to get over this upper respiratory infection before Sunday!!

Really, thats the best indicator.  Out here, there are just to many sandbaggers that go unchecked.  Also, being the start of the season, a lot of the really strong riders will ride the lower classes because they don't want to do the longer distances.

I call BS!  I think once you matriculate to a higher category there should be no turning back.  But whatever, to each their own.  I would rather push myself and finish mid pack in a tougher category than drop classes just to get a shot at podium finish.

It's the same here, especially in WORS.  I raced Citizen last year.  When I lined up I looked around to see a bunch of 140lbs guys with team jearseys.  I know anyone can get a team jearsey but you usually won't bother unless your really into racing.  If your really into racing I think sport class is where you should be.  These guys all took off like nothing and attacked the first hill.  My age group is the worst.  There are more 30-40 year out there than anything else in great shape.  A lot of these guys like to race the lower classes to medal, which is really discouraging the newcomers of the sport.

For this reason I'm going to wait till I place well in citizen to move up a class.  There is plenty of competition in Citizen anyhow with all the sandbaggers.  When I start getting top 10's in Citizen I'll move up.  I'll probably do sport(cat 20 in the Homegrown Series from now on.  There is definitely less competition in that series.  Plus, doing the WORS series courses makes the Homegrown Series courses a lot easier and gives me an advantage over guys that mainly ride flatter trails.
2010-04-26 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
My next Tri is on June 5th, it's a sprint.  I'm looking forward to it, I want to go out so hard on the run (it's a 5k) that I either PR it and cross the line trying to hang onto whatever speed I still have left, or I blow up somewhere in the middle and have to walk in.  I don't want to finish with another strong kick in the final 100m and feel like I still had a little left. 

Today I'm going to bike to my swim class.  Hopefully a longish bike, but time is not looking good today so it may just be a short one.  Spent this last weekend at my mom's, got softball tonight (my girls play, I coach), and I am going to L.A. on Wednesday for the weekend for my Grandma's memorial service (she passed last week after a LOOOOng stint of altzhiemers and hospice care).  Lots to get done before I go...

2010-04-26 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2817063

User image

Salem
norcal_SAHD - 2010-04-26 12:53 PM My next Tri is on June 5th, it's a sprint.  I'm looking forward to it, I want to go out so hard on the run (it's a 5k) that I either PR it and cross the line trying to hang onto whatever speed I still have left, or I blow up somewhere in the middle and have to walk in.  I don't want to finish with another strong kick in the final 100m and feel like I still had a little left. 

Today I'm going to bike to my swim class.  Hopefully a longish bike, but time is not looking good today so it may just be a short one.  Spent this last weekend at my mom's, got softball tonight (my girls play, I coach), and I am going to L.A. on Wednesday for the weekend for my Grandma's memorial service (she passed last week after a LOOOOng stint of altzhiemers and hospice care).  Lots to get done before I go...

im sorry for your loss, david.  never an easy thing, though sometimes its for the best.  ill be thinking of you and your family this week.
2010-04-26 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2817063

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
norcal_SAHD - 2010-04-26 9:53 AM My next Tri is on June 5th, it's a sprint.  I'm looking forward to it, I want to go out so hard on the run (it's a 5k) that I either PR it and cross the line trying to hang onto whatever speed I still have left, or I blow up somewhere in the middle and have to walk in.  I don't want to finish with another strong kick in the final 100m and feel like I still had a little left. 

Are you doing the TBF sprint on June 5th?  I was thinking about doing the olympic there on the 6th.

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother.
2010-04-26 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
If anyone is looking for swim workout ideas, I use this webpage quite often:

http://www.ntcmastersswim.blogspot.com/

These workouts are developed by Sara McLarty for the NTC master's swim.
2010-04-26 2:46 PM
in reply to: #2817622

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-04-26 2:34 PM If anyone is looking for swim workout ideas, I use this webpage quite often:

http://www.ntcmastersswim.blogspot.com/

These workouts are developed by Sara McLarty for the NTC master's swim.

Oh man!!, I'm going to have to check those out when I get home.  I'm finanlly building some good endurance on my swim but I'm like the slowest ever!!!  I'm stuck on 1:30 50m's!!!  I just can't seem to get faster.  It's frustrating!!

thanks Tim!!

Edited by Meulen 2010-04-26 2:47 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108