BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2010-06-30 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2954493

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED
slornow - 2010-06-30 6:40 PM

Michael/Phil-I saw Phil's thread.  I just couldn't think of anything clever to say so I just enjoyed the thread.  Phil, you are a brave man to post that type of question-good thing about BT is that everyone seems to be trying to help.  I read Slowtwitch forums regularly as well but rarely post.  Would love to see the responses you would get with that post on Slowtwitch-not quite as kind and gentle as BT.  Might have gotten ugly. 

Randy 

NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS did I think a simple sincere question would go to almost 4 pages. LOL

Here is the last post "Now if this was a bike or swim issue the first thing we would be asking for is a video....

2010-06-30 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2954416

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Experior - 2010-06-30 5:52 PM Hey everyone.  I managed a short bout of internet access today, and did a little poking around.  I think we all need to congratulate Phil!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=215203&start=1

I'll try to get on again in the next day or so.  I hope everyone is doing well.

Question for those who have done Olys:  What is your pacing strategy?  I posted mine, though honestly I haven't put much thought into it.  What works for you?

This has taken on a life of it's own. Oh, BTW Michael, THANKS FOR SHARING THE THREAD LINK! LOL

Phil
2010-07-01 5:41 PM
in reply to: #2954493

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slornow - 2010-06-30 7:40 PM

Michael/Phil-I saw Phil's thread.  I just couldn't think of anything clever to say so I just enjoyed the thread.  Phil, you are a brave man to post that type of question-good thing about BT is that everyone seems to be trying to help.  I read Slowtwitch forums regularly as well but rarely post.  Would love to see the responses you would get with that post on Slowtwitch-not quite as kind and gentle as BT.  Might have gotten ugly. 

Randy 

Phil = brave in so many ways.  I've said before that he's my hero.  That hasn't changed.

Yeah, I agree it could have been worse on ST.  Actually, along with the good-natured fun, there were some good replies.  The difference is that on ST the 'good-natured fun' sometimes devolves into nasty slander.
2010-07-01 10:14 PM
in reply to: #2956895

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Experior - 2010-07-01 5:41 PM
slornow - 2010-06-30 7:40 PM

Randy 

Phil = brave in so many ways.  I've said before that he's my hero.  That hasn't changed.

Yeah, I agree it could have been worse on ST.  Actually, along with the good-natured fun, there were some good replies.  The difference is that on ST the 'good-natured fun' sometimes devolves into nasty slander.

Michael, you made me blush, but thanks. I was cleaning some things out today and ran across the foot and ankle brace I wore before the surgery about 21 months ago. I thought you guys would be interested. I know I've kind of given bits and pieces of my situation, but this is a visual that shows how bad I was before the surgery. The brace was worn to help the deformity from getting worse. I took the picture at the edge of the wall to help provide a straight edge. The "lump" on the right is where the medial malleolus sits.

I get frustrated from time to time because I'm so stinkin slow, but this help keeps things in perspective. I thank God everyday I'm able to do what I'm doing even if it's slow. Smile

(Footbrace.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Footbrace.jpg (19KB - 9 downloads)
2010-07-02 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2775149

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis

Had a 5 mile run today. Fastest "5" to date at 52:45 or 10:33 pace. Thank you very much! Wink

2010-07-03 6:04 AM

User image

Expert
Phil- That thread was hilarious! I know you didnt intend for it to be- But the responses were awesome!
    And, the brace looks like something from the early 1900's. It's amazing how far you've come.

2010-07-03 6:06 AM
in reply to: #2951886

User image

Expert
slornow - 2010-06-29 8:38 PM

Its kind of quiet here with our speedy leader being on vacation.  How's everyone doing?  Anyone racing this weekend? Heidi how's your recovery coming? Hope everyone is doing well and getting in lots of good training.

I need a new profile picture-it was about 25 degrees when my current picture was taken-that was about 75 degrees ago!!!  

Randy

Thanks for asking Randy. I'm finally making some serious progress. I did 2 treadmill runs this week, and I think that I am faster than I was before I hurt my foot!

My first race is early Aug- I should be ready. Plus, I can't do worse than I did last year on this course
2010-07-03 11:33 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey everyone-I'm down at the Gulf for the weekend-well actually up in Perdidio Bay which is just inland of Gulf Shores, Alabama.  My wife's family has a place on the Bay.  Water looks pretty good but there is yellow boom closing off all of the inlets and along all of the beaches.  Sad to see.  Not sure the boom really does anything but at least there is some effort.  I was able to get an OWS in for about 20 minutes.  Glad to get the chance before racing next weekend.  I'm always nervous for the swim part of the race but I felt very comfortable today-maybe it will translate to a good swim next weekend. Had a nice easy run this morning so the rest of the day will be relaxing.  Hopefully, I won't sprout a third eye in the middle of my forehead from exposure to some toxic chemical. 

Things are really quiet dow here for a July 4th weekend.  Hope the businesses that rely on heavy Summer traffic can survive.  Very little boat traffic on the Bay-hope things are busier over on the Gulf.  Well, time to do some 12 ounce carbo loading and sit on the porch!  Happy 4th everyone!!

Randy

2010-07-03 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2959671

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
slornow - 2010-07-03 11:33 AM

Hey everyone-I'm down at the Gulf for the weekend-well actually up in Perdidio Bay which is just inland of Gulf Shores, Alabama.  My wife's family has a place on the Bay.  Water looks pretty good but there is yellow boom closing off all of the inlets and along all of the beaches.  Sad to see.  Not sure the boom really does anything but at least there is some effort.  I was able to get an OWS in for about 20 minutes.  Glad to get the chance before racing next weekend.  I'm always nervous for the swim part of the race but I felt very comfortable today-maybe it will translate to a good swim next weekend. Had a nice easy run this morning so the rest of the day will be relaxing.  Hopefully, I won't sprout a third eye in the middle of my forehead from exposure to some toxic chemical. 

Things are really quiet dow here for a July 4th weekend.  Hope the businesses that rely on heavy Summer traffic can survive.  Very little boat traffic on the Bay-hope things are busier over on the Gulf.  Well, time to do some 12 ounce carbo loading and sit on the porch!  Happy 4th everyone!!

Randy

Randy, have a great time. Make sure you do your part to help keep the economy a float down there. Smile

Phil
2010-07-04 6:41 AM

User image

Expert
I woke up this morning and decided to go for a hilly ride. I rode for 6 miles, and just as I got to the beginning of the hill section, I learned that the road is completely blocked off. No thru traffic- no local traffic. Nothing. I'm assuming the the small bridge at the foot of the hill is washed out.

No hills for me today- and I need to figure out a new route to get that training session in.

Weel, I'm off to the lake for today- so at least I'll get my favorite OWS done.
2010-07-04 10:00 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Happy Fourth everyone!  My wife leaves today for 4 weeks of training, so we're spending the first part of the day saying goodbye to her for the rest of July.

Then I'll scare my kids with some fireworks later today.  Wink

2010-07-04 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2960348

User image

Expert
Salem
slow turtle - 2010-07-04 4:41 AM I woke up this morning and decided to go for a hilly ride. I rode for 6 miles, and just as I got to the beginning of the hill section, I learned that the road is completely blocked off. No thru traffic- no local traffic. Nothing. I'm assuming the the small bridge at the foot of the hill is washed out.

No hills for me today- and I need to figure out a new route to get that training session in.

Weel, I'm off to the lake for today- so at least I'll get my favorite OWS done.

I hate when that happens.  Have gone to one of the local High School Tracks on numerous occassions and found the gates locked and construction happening. 

Enjoy your OWS.

Brian
2010-07-05 2:57 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I hope everyone had a great weekend.

I'm a single Dad now for a while, but my kids are, generally, well behaved so, generally, it isn't too bad.  They are too young still to leave alone, so training is tough, but doable.

Today, for just the third time or so, I swam in place in my parents' small pool with a 'tether' (elastic bands that hook to your ankles, then anchor to something on the side of the pool), while the kids played.  It isn't quite the same as real swimming, but not too far off.  Has anyone here done that?  I'd be curious to hear how you felt about it if so.  I'll be doing a lot of it for a while (and running around the block, and biking on the trainer).

For all of you who are struggling with running injuries, stick with the program of conservative recovery (and pool running if you can).  At least, it is definitely working for me.  I did my first really hard effort running on the road yesterday.  It wasn't planned that way, but I felt great so after a pretty hard progressive run (4 miles from marathon pace down to around 10K pace) I did three 1/3 mile intervals pretty hard.  I woke up this morning a bit sore!  But basically I think it was fine.  I've been running twice a week on the road lately, and I think after one more week of that, I'll add a third session.  I'm hopeful that by the end of July I'll be totally done with pool running.

I think that quite a few of us are racing this weekend, so good luck to all racers, and we look forward to those reports!
2010-07-05 3:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis

I actually pulled the trigger on the Tri on Sunday. I went to the lake yesterday to look at the route. Man, it's suppose to be 1000m OWS. It looks like 3 miles. When my wife saw the look on my face as I stood over the lake, she asked me what was wrong. I said I think I just threw up in my mouth. LOL

Please tell me it was just an optical illusion and if I can do it in a pool I can do it in a lake.

2010-07-05 6:26 PM
in reply to: #2961956

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
StlPhil - 2010-07-05 4:40 PM

I actually pulled the trigger on the Tri on Sunday. I went to the lake yesterday to look at the route. Man, it's suppose to be 1000m OWS. It looks like 3 miles. When my wife saw the look on my face as I stood over the lake, she asked me what was wrong. I said I think I just threw up in my mouth. LOL

Please tell me it was just an optical illusion and if I can do it in a pool I can do it in a lake.

Only looks long because you don't see walls but you've already completed the distance. So nothing to worry about, you've got the training. All you need to do is one stroke at time and you will arrive at the finnish line or should say transition area.

Go for it you can do it!

Edited by sstucker 2010-07-05 6:31 PM
2010-07-05 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2961901

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Experior - 2010-07-05 3:57 PM

I hope everyone had a great weekend.

I'm a single Dad now for a while, but my kids are, generally, well behaved so, generally, it isn't too bad.  They are too young still to leave alone, so training is tough, but doable.

Today, for just the third time or so, I swam in place in my parents' small pool with a 'tether' (elastic bands that hook to your ankles, then anchor to something on the side of the pool), while the kids played.  It isn't quite the same as real swimming, but not too far off.  Has anyone here done that?  I'd be curious to hear how you felt about it if so.  I'll be doing a lot of it for a while (and running around the block, and biking on the trainer).

For all of you who are struggling with running injuries, stick with the program of conservative recovery (and pool running if you can).  At least, it is definitely working for me.  I did my first really hard effort running on the road yesterday.  It wasn't planned that way, but I felt great so after a pretty hard progressive run (4 miles from marathon pace down to around 10K pace) I did three 1/3 mile intervals pretty hard.  I woke up this morning a bit sore!  But basically I think it was fine.  I've been running twice a week on the road lately, and I think after one more week of that, I'll add a third session.  I'm hopeful that by the end of July I'll be totally done with pool running.

I think that quite a few of us are racing this weekend, so good luck to all racers, and we look forward to those reports!

You're unbelievable, you'll do anything to get a workout in. I’m envious more then I think you’re crazy, obsess, addicted… I was trying to picture myself with my feet tied with rope to fence, and doing strokes in my daughters’ 3 foot pool. My wife would really think I’m nuts and obsess.

Edited by sstucker 2010-07-05 6:46 PM

2010-07-05 10:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Well I'm back after a two week layoff caused by work and travel.

Had a 22 minutes run this evening in 99 degree weather. WOW! it is stinkin hot. Was in Vegas last week for work and thought it was hot there, well this heat is worse because of humidity. I heard that dry heat felt cooler then heat with high humidity, well not only did I feel it I now know why thanks to Phil's post. Maybe next time just say "during a workout on the trainer...." you'll get better results.

After the run I drove to the pool for a 15 minute swim. Luckely my wife is home so I could leave the house otherwise I would tigh my feet to rope and post to get my workout in my daughter's 3 foot pool. It would teach me to keep my elbows up during the pull. Micheal you've given me a new meaning to "Where there's a will there's a way".

Good night.

Edited by sstucker 2010-07-05 10:31 PM
2010-07-05 10:56 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Like others I have a Race Saturday.  Just got my Club Race Trisuit this afternoon.  This will be a Sprint Distance with a very hilly climb and a couple of hills on the run.  This course was my 1st Full Sprint Last Year in early Sept.  I placed second in the Clydesdale Division.  Here are my race goals for this race:

Swim:  1:38/ 100 - 14:18 - 14:26; Last years time 15:11

T1 - 2:30 - Going Sockless. Last year 3:23 - longer run last year to T1 due to the low water level.

12.4 mile Bike:  42:00 or less - Did a time trial two weeks ago on the course 42:45; Dropped two minutes from last year - 44:44

T2 - 1:30 - Going to change my dismount to a running dismount and leaving the bike shoes on the pedals; Again Going Sockless. Last year 1:53

5 K Run: 25:00 or less - going for a 8:02/mile pace;  last years time 27:27.

Total Time:   1:25:18 to a 1:25:26

This will be a 7 min 21 sec. reduction from my overall time last year.  Pretty lofty goals, but feel they are doable.
2010-07-06 6:44 AM
in reply to: #2961956

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-07-05 4:40 PM

Yes, it is an illusion, as Sylvain said.  You'll be fine.  Confidence is key.  It might help to go do a 1200m continuous swim at the pool just to remind yourself that you can do it.  Or if you can get in that lake and swim, then go for it.

But yes, you'll be fine.
2010-07-06 6:54 AM
in reply to: #2962179

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sstucker - 2010-07-05 7:42 PM
Experior - 2010-07-05 3:57 PM I hope everyone had a great weekend.

You're unbelievable, you'll do anything to get a workout in. I’m envious more then I think you’re crazy, obsess, addicted… I was trying to picture myself with my feet tied with rope to fence, and doing strokes in my daughters’ 3 foot pool. My wife would really think I’m nuts and obsess.

lol.  It's not as crazy as it sounds.  It's sort of a poor man's version of this.
2010-07-06 6:56 AM
in reply to: #2962476

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
TriGuyBri - 2010-07-05 11:56 PM Like others I have a Race Saturday.  Just got my Club Race Trisuit this afternoon.  This will be a Sprint Distance with a very hilly climb and a couple of hills on the run.  This course was my 1st Full Sprint Last Year in early Sept.  I placed second in the Clydesdale Division.  Here are my race goals for this race:

Swim:  1:38/ 100 - 14:18 - 14:26; Last years time 15:11

T1 - 2:30 - Going Sockless. Last year 3:23 - longer run last year to T1 due to the low water level.

12.4 mile Bike:  42:00 or less - Did a time trial two weeks ago on the course 42:45; Dropped two minutes from last year - 44:44

T2 - 1:30 - Going to change my dismount to a running dismount and leaving the bike shoes on the pedals; Again Going Sockless. Last year 1:53

5 K Run: 25:00 or less - going for a 8:02/mile pace;  last years time 27:27.

Total Time:   1:25:18 to a 1:25:26

This will be a 7 min 21 sec. reduction from my overall time last year.  Pretty lofty goals, but feel they are doable.

Ambitious but doable.  I like it!

2010-07-06 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2962630

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Experior - 2010-07-06 7:54 AM

lol.  It's not as crazy as it sounds.  It's sort of a poor man's version of this.

I thought you would have linked me to the endless pool, but this thing works too. I wish I would have known about this two years ago, could have used it in my indoor pool in Ottawa. Turning every 30 feet wasn't fun.

Edited by sstucker 2010-07-06 7:14 AM
2010-07-06 8:27 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning everyone-not a very good start to the workout day here.  Got up at 4:35am to be at the pool at 5:00am.  Didn't really want to get up quite that early but wanted to get a swim in with my new trisuit before the race on Sunday.  I get there and the pool is closed-pump is broken and they dont know when it will be fixed!! UGH!!  Oh well, I headed on into work, showered and got a jump on the rest of the work week.

Will try to get to the pool near my office later today or more likely tomorrow.   

Who is racing this weekend and where? I know I will be doing the Chattanooga Waterfront Olympic and I believe our speedy leader will be there as well-although likely way in front of me.

Randy

2010-07-06 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2962814

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Greetings from the Emerald Isle!

Hope everyone is doing great.  Looks like lots of new activity to catch up on when I get home.  Haven't done much exercising while I've been here... but lots of incredible music and sights.  Did rent bikes yesterday on Innishmore (Aran Islands) and thought of you all.  Beautiful spot... lousy bike, but can't complain about the route!  After I get back I guess I am going to have to get back to the training schedule... just hope I haven't gained too many pounds enjoying the "water" over here :-)

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2010-07-06 10:42 AM
2010-07-06 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2962814

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slornow - 2010-07-06 9:27 AM

Good morning everyone-not a very good start to the workout day here.  Got up at 4:35am to be at the pool at 5:00am.  Didn't really want to get up quite that early but wanted to get a swim in with my new trisuit before the race on Sunday.  I get there and the pool is closed-pump is broken and they dont know when it will be fixed!! UGH!!  Oh well, I headed on into work, showered and got a jump on the rest of the work week.

Will try to get to the pool near my office later today or more likely tomorrow.   

Who is racing this weekend and where? I know I will be doing the Chattanooga Waterfront Olympic and I believe our speedy leader will be there as well-although likely way in front of me.

Randy

Ugh.  I hope you got your swim in today at lunch.  I've managed to get some free babysitting this afternoon and will get in a pool swim then.

Edited by Experior 2010-07-06 11:15 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40