BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2011-03-26 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3259026

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!

I've been wondering about the aero bars... mainly because Alex loves hers so much.  When I checked with my somewhat local shop they really discouraged me from adding them on.  These are the guys that did my bike fit and are really into the whole geometry thing.  Anyway, they feel that you take a step backwards in efficiency when you add aero bars to a road bike.  He suggested that I take my money and buy some other piece of gear.  I know this isn't the most popular opinion, and certainly there is a lot on the web to the contrary.   On the otherhand I think these guys have given me good advice in the past and in this case they told me not to send any money their way.  So I'll be riding my road bike, until I can afford a real tri bike.

Edited by jcarmody 2011-03-26 8:41 AM

2011-03-26 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3415274

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Alex, thank for the article link.....I can't make up my mind what I'm gunna do!!  Janet is waiting and I've read both sides of the argument too.  If I add aerobars to the roadie I think I'll need another fitting...so the price gets kinda high quickly and $400ish would be a nice start on a Tri bike!!  UGH... I did make myself a deal that I wouldn't buy a Tri bike until I averaged 20mph or higher.  So, I have some work to do.
2011-03-26 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3415316

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Thanks for all the inspires about my race this morning!!  I do have a race report now... Tammy and I did the MMMers proud today, both of us brought home the bling!!  AND I think we recruited another girl to join BT... 

Also, I wrote this in my blog, but I gotta add it here.... hubby bought a motorcycle today, in return I get to shop for a new tri bike!!  I want to upgrade to carbon, and I am sooooooo looking forward to bike shopping!!

2011-03-26 7:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Awesome Hilde! And ooooooooooooohhhh fun on shopping for a new bike! Off to look for the race report
2011-03-28 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi ya'll!!   I have great news! After the race on Saturday (my husband finished 5th in his AG) we spent the rest of day together and MIRACLES REALLY DO HAPPEN...my husband agreed that his eating style is detrimental not only to my training efforts but to his health as well. As such, we decided that he will start taking lunch from home and cut back on the amount of JUNK he eats!! YAAAAAY!! He is super competitve and it bothered him that due to a lack of training and his poor eating habits he only placed 5th! I did my part yesterday and made him a few meals to take to work and this morning he took some....we shall see how it goes!!

I think he's caught the BUG...he asked me to find some more Du's over the next few months and even talked about learning how to SWIM...WOW!!

As for me, training in the water is getting easier and my endurance is getting a little better. I'm going to buy me a little water timer dohicky to put on my finger like my friend Anne so I can keep track of time/laps more efficiently!

Hope everyone is having a great Monday!

2011-03-28 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

That's awesome news, Tammy! Good luck to your husband! 

And what is this do-hicky you speak of? It sounds pretty cool. I can't ever remember how many laps I do. I have to make a great mental effort to keep track. 

2011-03-28 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3418191

User image

Expert

That's FANTASTIC news, Tammy! Congrats to you and your husband! May the bug continue its work! Laughing

And yes, do please report on the doohickey of which you speak-- sounds like it might be useful as I get used once again to going up and down the pool training for the HIM...

Hilde, I suspect I speak for all of us when I say WE WANT PICS OF THE NEW BIKE IN ALL ITS PERSONALIZED GLORY once you have them!

2011-03-28 6:21 PM

User image

Veteran

Here's a picture of the "doohicky" I was referring to! It's official name is a FingerWatch and it costs $39.95 @ www.swimoutlet.com

I am going to try to find one for a bit cheaper, because that's just the way I am I'll let you know if I find one!!

2011-03-28 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Tammy, that is GREAT news about your husband! I have been eyeing that doohicky for quite some time...I'd love to get one of those and a waterproof iPod like thing-a-ma-jig as well!
2011-03-28 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3418786

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Looks like the bike is gonna happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Of course I need to personalize it, so I will get pics up SOON!!  I'm thinking I'm gonna name it.... well, let's just say that the old bike was just nice and happy and Sally just came to me and it fit, this one is dark and stealthy and mean.... so I'm thinking I'm gonna call it "The Dominatrix", she ain't gonna take no crap off no one, including me, and she's gonna whip my butt to keep working her hard!
2011-03-28 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3418802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Hilde, so cool your getting a new bike this year too!!!!  It'll be even more sexy than Sally!  We'll expect the mph to go up...of course!  The more money you spend the faster the bike....right???  I love the new name....much better than Sally....demands respect!!! haha.  Crack the whip baby!

2011-03-29 12:10 AM
in reply to: #3418802

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hilde, I love it!! Please, oh please outfit the new bike with some leather and studs!!

I've gotten behind on the forum and you guys have been busy! Tammy, congrats on inspiring your husband to get healthier; you may have solved your own junk food in the house problems! As for eating smart, I struggled with dieting and bingeing for 25 years before I figured out that the two were connected. As soon as I "legalized" all my forbidden foods, they lost their power over me and the bingeing became a thing of the past. Now, if I want a donut, I eat and donut- and NO beating myself up afterwards! I also indulge my love of baking decadent things (I share them with friends and coworkers so the house isn't overrun with desserts). Since nothing's off-limits, I rarely feel the need to overindulge. I still love to eat, mind you, will never be in danger of wasting away, but I don't obsess about food any more, and that makes me very happy! In our house, it's the hubby that wishes *I* wouldn't be bringing home/baking all the goodies. Oh well, he still weighs 165, so what's he worried about??

2011-03-30 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3419118

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

I'm just about set for the T-shirt order.... I've asked the people that I haven't heard back from to let me know yes or no on them by Friday, so I will PM each of you on Saturday with the final totals and my address!  So far we have 13 shirts!  They only take about 2 weeks to come in once I order them.  Still need to check out mailing costs, so far it' looking like $4.95, but I think I can get cheaper than that although it may take a day or two longer to get to you.

Time to teach, UGH, the kids have been HORRIBLE so far this week, and I do mean AWFUL.  Like I want to scream, SHUT THE *F* UP YOU MORONS!!

2011-03-30 11:59 AM

User image

Expert

Woo-Hoo for The Dominatrix: long may she reign! Can't wait to see the pics, Hilde!

My news for the day is that I managed to run 3 miles this morning on the treadmill, after doing 1:30 of pool running-- and all was well! I might just be able to build up this running gig again after all...

Commiserations on the awful students, Hilde-- I get to spend this afternoon marking undergrad essays, if it's any consolation...

Hope you're all having excellent days, gang!

2011-03-30 6:07 PM
in reply to: #3421644

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Oh yeah, Alex is on the way back, you best watch out y'all, she's gonna be faster than ever with all that pool running she's done.  She's gonna take landfall by storm!  Who knew you could get excited about running 3 miles??
2011-03-30 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3421644

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
wrkinprogress - 2011-03-30 12:59 PM

Woo-Hoo for The Dominatrix: long may she reign! Can't wait to see the pics, Hilde!

My news for the day is that I managed to run 3 miles this morning on the treadmill, after doing 1:30 of pool running-- and all was well! I might just be able to build up this running gig again after all...

Commiserations on the awful students, Hilde-- I get to spend this afternoon marking undergrad essays, if it's any consolation...

Hope you're all having excellent days, gang!

Alex, big congrats on your 3 mile comeback.  That's awesome that you didn't have any pain - and hopefully that goes for tomorrow too.  I'm sure you'll be back on the attack soon - but I'm really inspired by your patience of rehabilitation.  I'm sure you're ready to crawl out of your skin waiting!! I would be.

2011-03-30 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3422399

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana

hildekq - 2011-03-30 7:07 PM Oh yeah, Alex is on the way back, you best watch out y'all, she's gonna be faster than ever with all that pool running she's done.  She's gonna take landfall by storm!  Who knew you could get excited about running 3 miles??

HEY, I still get excited about running 3 miles....I never thought I'd be able to do that...ever!!  Still gotta appreciate the small things too!

2011-03-30 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3421130

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Hilde, I'll try and remember to get the check out asap.....do you have a paypal acct?  That may be easier if you do.
2011-03-30 9:23 PM
in reply to: #3422427

User image

Expert
wsilverthorne - 2011-03-30 6:30 PM

hildekq - 2011-03-30 7:07 PM Oh yeah, Alex is on the way back, you best watch out y'all, she's gonna be faster than ever with all that pool running she's done.  She's gonna take landfall by storm!  Who knew you could get excited about running 3 miles??

HEY, I still get excited about running 3 miles....I never thought I'd be able to do that...ever!!  Still gotta appreciate the small things too!

Amen, Wilson-- it's the small things that have kept me sane for the past 3 months! Besides, who wouldn't be excited to run 3 miles in brightly coloured Newtons, I ask you? Laughing

*announcer voice* Hurricane Alex: Taking Landfall By Storm. (Sounds like a good tagline to me!)

Edited by wrkinprogress 2011-03-30 9:23 PM
2011-03-31 1:29 AM
in reply to: #3422656

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wilson, since it's wedding season, I thought you could use some inspiration:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-bender/awkward-family-wedding-photos_b_841585.html?ref=fb&src=sp#s258766&title=An_Apple_A
2011-03-31 5:03 AM
in reply to: #3422814

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-bender/awkward-family-wedding-photos_b_841585.html?ref=fb&src=sp#s258768&title=Brideshead

There, I linked it for ya Tammy!  Too funny!

Wilson, I don't have a Paypal account, so you'll just have to mail me a check... but hold on till I get all the orders, they are due by Friday, so I will PM you on Saturday. 

2011-03-31 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland

holy crap it's been a crazy 2 weeks!  I thought spring break was supposed to be relaxed and calm!  but, I'm back at it this week, as much as I can be.  I think clinicals are going to start winding down soon, which, combined with the nice weather, means I'm going to be able to get outside on the bike instead of inside on the hated trainer (though, it has been nice to use the trainer in minimal clothing...)  The knee is feeling much better, though the past few days has been giving me a little bit of pain, but NOTHING like it was.  I'me going to give it till after April 16th before I start running on it again.  I think the break did me some good, as my shoulder is feeling better, and my swim went wonderful this morning.

I'm also signing up for the Marine Corps 10k, with a friend, and maybe my fiancee (who loves to run...no really...he does).  It gives me something to shoot for and some incentive. 

2011-04-01 6:05 AM
in reply to: #3423244

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Hey, Jen, glad to hear you are feeling better and life is slowing down!  And it's always GREAT to have a race on the schedule, I know I keeps me working hard!
2011-04-01 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3424801

User image

Expert

Oh yeah...nothing like having a race on the calendar to keep the mind focused!

Have a GREAT weekend, everyone!

2011-04-02 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3425407

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

This is what I wrote in my blog today...

She's MINE, all MINE!!!!  The Dominatrix is paid for, somewhat customized and is waiting for me to transfer stuff over from the old bike (aero water bottle, flat kit, etc.).  It was actually a breeze... and I thought I was gonna have to drive all over town to find a helmet and bar tape, but they had it all there!  I got the Cobb V-flow saddle, and of course I can switch it to the Plus or something else if I need to.  She has to go back in 100 miles to tighten the cables, so I should know by then if it will work.  Aerobars have the lime green bar tape, looks awesome and wouldn't you know, I saw an identical set-up in someone's truck in the parking lot!  Also found a PERFECT matching helmet, they only had one and it was, yeah, you won't believe this, but XX-SMALL!  I have a pin head, what can I say, but it's ALL brain so don't even go there...  Then I stopped at REI on the way home with my 20% off coupon and my dividend from last year and found a sleeveless lime green Pearl Izumi bike top and a long sleeved lime green men's running top ($55 marked down to $19!), which of course I can wear biking if it's cold... just an awesome day!!  I'm going to wait till I get the tires on her before I post pics, they were shipped yesterday, so they should show up next week!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  

of 70