BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2011-02-15 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3356319

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED
nuttysami123 - 2011-02-15 1:40 PM

I am so excited!! Swam at lunch today and swam my very first sub 2:00 100!! Woo Hoo! It was a 1:59 with no aides, just me!! There is hope! Have a good day group!!

Awesome. congrats!

Jamie

2011-02-15 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3271048

Winnipeg
I log just on the BT site I seem to like to keep things simple and like someone else said I am starting to uploat my Garmin to it so that helps.

I,m a bit behind in getting my sweat test done but did it today at noon on the treadmill doing some speed work at the Y and it was scary,  Did it as per the instructions and I lost exactly 3 pounds plus I drank 12 oz of water.
thats a scary number when I think of how much fluid I will have to replace in a summer IM race.

Just heading off to the gym to do my weights work out, takes about an hour but I keep reading us older guys really have to make sure we also hit the gym throughout our training.
2011-02-15 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3356724

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Radar987 - 2011-02-15 5:20 PM

I log just on the BT site I seem to like to keep things simple and like someone else said I am starting to uploat my Garmin to it so that helps.

I,m a bit behind in getting my sweat test done but did it today at noon on the treadmill doing some speed work at the Y and it was scary,  Did it as per the instructions and I lost exactly 3 pounds plus I drank 12 oz of water.
thats a scary number when I think of how much fluid I will have to replace in a summer IM race.

Just heading off to the gym to do my weights work out, takes about an hour but I keep reading us older guys really have to make sure we also hit the gym throughout our training.

That's really not an 'off the charts' sweat rate. Pretty normal really. Write it down, note the conditions and bike or run. Collect a lot of data points so you can have a really good estimate when you are sure of race day conditions.

If I remember correctly, most of the group that posted a sweat rate recorded in the 40-60 oz range.
I'd like to think that I'm not mentoring a lot of heavy sweaters! Most likely, the rest of the athletes that don't pay attention to the critical data are 'under hydrators'!

Jamie
2011-02-15 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3356762

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
AOTD:  I just use BT - I have my IM planned workouts in excel but will log after complete in BT.

So...today was day 2 of the IM plan - day 1 was an off day!!!

2011-02-15 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
QOTD - I use BT and sometimes to use Training Peaks. Off to the pool for tonight and trainer when I get home.
2011-02-15 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
So with all this extra water intake based off the sweat test and combining that with my baby bladder, Im starting to think about what Im going to do over a couple hours on the bike.  Any one else have thoughts?  Stop during the ride or go on the bike?

2011-02-15 9:25 PM

User image

New user
I use BT mainly.  I have a training peaks account but I dont track any workouts there...

Got an interval run and a swim in this evening.  The day off certainly helped!
2011-02-16 3:26 AM
in reply to: #3357032

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
vibratingp00 - 2011-02-15 9:27 PM

So with all this extra water intake based off the sweat test and combining that with my baby bladder, Im starting to think about what Im going to do over a couple hours on the bike.  Any one else have thoughts?  Stop during the ride or go on the bike?

Are you doing HIM or IM? If IM, I would try to come close to replacing >85-90% of the water you lose. If HIM, if may have to be less than that especially on the run. The speed involved in HIM means that you may not be able to take on all of the fluid that you need. If your predicted HIM finish time is close to or over 5.5/6 hrs then the more critical fluid replacement becomes. If 4.5 hrs or so, then you should be able to get away with less.

Practice this as much as you can and see if your body can tolerate it. If you find that you have to pee ever hour or your stomach gets upset then you will have to make adjustments. I would first add salt and then lower fluid intake. IMO, you can train your body to absorb the increase in fluid if you practice. I have a baby bladder too and never once peed on (or off) the bike in HIM with fluid intake of 60-90 oz/hr. Actually, for the first 4 IM's I did I never peed once. Not once during the entire freaking race. That wasn't good! My 5th, and fastest, IM a peed several times while running but not on the bike. Bring a spare pair of shoes for after the race!

Jamie
2011-02-16 3:27 AM
in reply to: #3356998

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
wallico - 2011-02-15 9:04 PM

AOTD:  I just use BT - I have my IM planned workouts in excel but will log after complete in BT.

So...today was day 2 of the IM plan - day 1 was an off day!!!

off day on the first day! wow.

Jamie
2011-02-16 10:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Okay I wanted to post a quick QOTD then I have back-to-back meetings for the next bajilion hours.

QOTD: My fiance is a teacher and around holidays she brings home tons of sweets for me to eat that kids in her classroom give her. I've had lots of chocolate the last couple days due to valentine's day so I wanted to talk nutrition today...

It's a pretty open ended question, I know...but what's your nutrition like? I'm talking about meals and snacks, not what you eat/drink during training???. What are your favorite healthy meals/snacks? What are some of your vices that you'd like to eat less of?

AOTD: I generally eat pretty healthy since my fiance cooks for both of us. I can't tell you the last time I had fast food. My vices are definitely sweets and salty snacks, especially lately - I just can't get enough! I'd like to have more self control with the sweets especially. I feel like the salty snacks are okay (like pretzels) especially after a long workout where I've lost lots of salt.

On the healthy side, I love spinach salads with chicken, walnuts, and dried cranberries. I love home-made pizza with ham, pineapple, mushrooms and tomatoes. Lately I've been loving soups since it has been colder. Mmmm, taco salad is always good - ground turkey, corn, beans, avocado, tomatoes, with lettuce and some crumbled tortilla chips on top.

I have a feeling this QOTD is going to make me salivate all over my keyboard!

Edited by dhopman 2011-02-16 10:40 AM
2011-02-16 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3357735

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
My favorite healthy snack right now is a cup of yogurt with almonds and a chopped up banana. My vices are coke and ice cream. I 'allow' myself one can of coke a week and one medium size bowl of ice cream a week.

I'm basically a pretty healthy eater so it's never been an issue for me. One thing that I do know is that the less 'junk' I have in my house the less 'junk' I eat.

oh, and coffee. me loves the coffee!
Jamie

2011-02-16 11:16 AM

User image

Just getting caught up on yesterday's posts.  I'm still laughing at the saran wrap story.  Even if the wrap could keep the water out, his tri shorts would still be soaked from all the sweat being trapped in there....like those wrestlers trying to cut weight.  Too funny.  Thanks for sharing.
2011-02-16 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
AQOTD:  For a healthy snack I like fruit smoothies made at home with real fruit, some whey protein and natural juice.  I also like doing yogurt with some granola mixed in.  I also like most nuts including peanuts, almonds, walnuts and sunflower seeds.

Right now my biggest weakness is definitely beer (the good tasting, microbrewed stuff that has a million calories) and wings.  The good news on the wings is that I've stopped dipping them in anything (specifically blue cheese dressing), but the bad news is that they are fried and the sauce they fry them in is still uber-unhealthy.  Somehow I am able to limit myself to no more than 3-4 beers a week and furthermore my wife won't let me have wings more than about once a month.  So I guess that is positive.
2011-02-16 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3358146

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
My wife and I just started back on the healthy eating.  Alot of fish and chicken - mainly we have swithched out the side of mac and chesse with mixed veggies or rice.  Bad habits used to be ice cream and snacks after 8pm on the couch watching TV. 

Caffeine is definetly my worse spot - from Coke to Coffee - I used to design and build Starbucks - I never drank coffee before that - now I could easily drink several venti cups a day - and then the white choclate mocas! 

I am now no caff at lunch (water with lemon) and limit myself to one cup (although 20-24oz) a day and if it is just coffee - I do half caff. half decaf.

I will still have a Monster energy drink every other week or so.....and who doesn't like beer and wings - used to eat wings every wednesday night with a buddy of mine and we would get 30 wings and 2 pitchers of beer (it was lite beer at least).

2011-02-16 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3358146

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
sbsmann - 2011-02-16 1:09 PM AQOTD:  For a healthy snack I like fruit smoothies made at home with real fruit, some whey protein and natural juice.  I also like doing yogurt with some granola mixed in.  I also like most nuts including peanuts, almonds, walnuts and sunflower seeds.

Right now my biggest weakness is definitely beer (the good tasting, microbrewed stuff that has a million calories) and wings.  The good news on the wings is that I've stopped dipping them in anything (specifically blue cheese dressing), but the bad news is that they are fried and the sauce they fry them in is still uber-unhealthy.  Somehow I am able to limit myself to no more than 3-4 beers a week and furthermore my wife won't let me have wings more than about once a month.  So I guess that is positive.

Funny that you have Hooters in the background of your avatar!!!
2011-02-16 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3357971

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
clewis38 - 2011-02-16 12:16 PM

Just getting caught up on yesterday's posts.  I'm still laughing at the saran wrap story.  Even if the wrap could keep the water out, his tri shorts would still be soaked from all the sweat being trapped in there....like those wrestlers trying to cut weight.  Too funny.  Thanks for sharing.

And if that didn't happen, they would have been soaked in sweat within the first 2 miles of the bike b/c it it so hot and humid there.

Jamie

PS I guess the morals of the story are to never do anything different on race day and practice transitions (w/ and w/o saran wrap)!!!

2011-02-16 9:35 PM

Winnipeg
AQOTD - A better question is do I eat anything healthy - well not that bad actually from 5am till 7PM I do a good job at eating healthy and right, My problem is the late night snacking, I can hardly wait till we have daylight again in the evenings when there is something to do outside - yes when the refirigerater is out of sight its out of mind with me.

I've been running calorie deficits for almost 2 years now taking off 50 lbs so my body is always craving, especially on days where I have 2 or 3 workouts.  But its getting better and the closer I get to target weight the less up and down are the cravings.

I actually enjoy eating fruit now, before the only fruit I liked was candy cover apples.

favorite treats - plain almonds, yogart covered raisins or cranberries, fresh fruit with yogart and vanilla protien powder

worst habit - Diet Coke - addicted
2011-02-16 10:06 PM

User image

New user

I do my best to eat healthy but I fall off the wagon all the time.  Candy is my downfall, always has been...I cut my Diet Coke intake down to one a day, and only have a beer 1-2x week.  Its very difficult to eat well when your other half doesnt necessarily share the same habits or eating times that you want to have. 

75' ride tonight, another good workout.  Officially signed up for the High Cliff HIM today!  Its getting serious now...

2011-02-17 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Happy Thursday to everyone &  I hope all workouts are going well.  Today was a rare February day in Wisconsin where I was able to do my run in shorts.  The 5:30am temp was a balmy 44 degrees....amazing!

I was having a hard time coming up with a question for today, but finally decided on the topic of running.

QOTD: Leading up to a HIM, how many days a week are people running and what type, if any, speed work are you doing in your training?

AQOTD: Having never done a HIM, I am more interested in hearing what others have done or are doing.  My feeling is that I can't really see myself running more than 3-4 days a week (along with biking and swimming the same number of days).  And regarding speedwork, I would think at least one solid day is key, along with another day for a "long" effort.  I try to mix up my speed stuff each week with either tempo, .25mile repeats and sometimes just strides.

2011-02-17 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3359446

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

One day closer to the weekend!
AOTD: Looks like I will be running 4-5 days/week prior to my HIM in August. I'm not training specifically for it though, but for an IM. One of those days is speed and at least one is a short brick (when I say short I mean 30 mins or less).

AOTD: As far as tris go, I've only done one oly (my first) and then a sprint. Right now I'm running 6 days/week with one speed day and one long day (the 321 format you may have seen posted on slowtwitch, modified for the speed day). On top of that I'm not doing much else. I'll throw in one swim and maybe a bike (it's all in my log if you want to look).  I will probably do this a few more weeks while slowly adding in more bike until I "officially" start my IM program in april. 

short version: I'm just doing what the programs tell me to do for now  
2011-02-17 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
AOTD:  leading up the the first race in May, Ill be running 4 times a week, going with the marathon plan I used last year without the recovery days.  Itll put me through the first 9 weeks of an 18 week plan, so the distance of the long runs are all under 15 miles.  Theres a long run, medium-long, a medium run with tempo, and a medium run with hills. 

Im hoping that this plan works out, Im going to continue with the marathon plan after the May race, it gets me through the June wedding and has me finishing up in July for a running race.  I figure with all the craziness surrounding for the wedding, itll be easiest to pack a pair of shoes and find a place to run.

2011-02-17 10:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
AQOTD:

I just run a lot. Until this year, I've NEVER done any type of speedwork. I just go out and run. Typically I get in 4-5 lunch runs of 4-6 miles each and then throw in a long run over the weekend sometime. Sometimes I'll do doubles as well.

My main running improvement has come with frequency rather than speed work. I run 5-6 days/week. My typical 'cruise' pace usually falls somewhere around 7:40. Unless it's a race, I probably never go faster than 7:15ish. I've never specifically trained for an HIM. They have always been just another training day with no taper and no rest afterwards. My usual HIM run is right around 1:30. My last 3 IM marys have been 3:30ish.

If I had to guess, my weekly mileage when I do HIM is probably around 30 and my weekly mileage when it comes close to my IM race is 45-50mpw.

I'm a big believer in run frequency more than anything else.

Speaking of, I just got back from a 5 mile lunch run in SHORTS!!!!

jamie
2011-02-17 11:25 AM

Winnipeg
Ok enough of the running in shorts, we have a blizzard blowing in this afternoon and skiies about the only running gear that will work.  Shorts nice dream I think I got to wear a pair once when I visited down south, Bismark I think it was.

so far as running, when I did my HIM last year I was recovering from PF and as a result I hadn't done the milage I should have.

I was doing a couple 6 mile runs a week, usually one a brick off the bike and one 8 - 10 mile run a week. It got me through but definately was a limiter. This year for My IM training I am definately run focused and putting alot more effort and time into the run. Running 3 - 4 times a week with a running club, I have a couple 1/2 marathons over the next 2 months and then training with the full marathon group starting in april.  Hopefully the discipline of doing the hard stuff, hills and speed will pay off come IM day.
2011-02-17 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3359863

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
jamiej - 2011-02-17 8:48 AM AQOTD: I just run a lot. Until this year, I've NEVER done any type of speedwork. I just go out and run. Typically I get in 4-5 lunch runs of 4-6 miles each and then throw in a long run over the weekend sometime. Sometimes I'll do doubles as well. My main running improvement has come with frequency rather than speed work. I run 5-6 days/week. My typical 'cruise' pace usually falls somewhere around 7:40. Unless it's a race, I probably never go faster than 7:15ish. I've never specifically trained for an HIM. They have always been just another training day with no taper and no rest afterwards. My usual HIM run is right around 1:30. My last 3 IM marys have been 3:30ish. If I had to guess, my weekly mileage when I do HIM is probably around 30 and my weekly mileage when it comes close to my IM race is 45-50mpw. I'm a big believer in run frequency more than anything else. Speaking of, I just got back from a 5 mile lunch run in SHORTS!!!! jamie

7:40 cruise pace??? 3:30 mary during a IM??? I officially hate you Jamie.
I don't mean that...I've just got a major case of run envy.

For my HIM I think I was running 3-4 times per week. One was long. One was a quality workout of some type - tempo, repeats, farlek, hills. Any other runs were just putting on mileage without thinking much about it. I don't think you really NEED speed work - I'm sure it helps if done right, and adds some variety to your week. That said, I'm not sure many people finish a HIM and say to themselves "I wish I did more wind sprints".

Solid day yesterday - 1:15 on the trainer in the AM followed by my long run for the week in the evening - 14 miles in 2 hours. It's nice to space out the long bike and long run rather than doing them back to back on the weekend. My foot is pretty tore up - check out the picture on my blog once you've fully digested your lunch. =)
2011-02-17 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
Im also in a great mood now because of a lunchtime run in shorts and a tshirt.  Stayed out a little longer than usual, but it was worth it.

And I second the "you suck" for a 7:40 cruising pace.  I did a 3:33 marathon that was just a marathon and I couldnt move after.  I cant imagine if I had to bike and swim before.

Edited by vibratingp00 2011-02-17 12:53 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40